What's been the darkest storyline?

project90

What do you think been the darkest storyline over the years?

Sarah Lewis storyline up there for me especially the hostage climax.

I was only a kid at the time but remember Gypsy being held hostage and that really creeping me out when I was younger. If anyone could give me a run down on what that was all about be appreciated. 

What do you think been some of the shows darkest?

On 08/06/2023 at 05:01, project90 said:

What do you think been the darkest storyline over the years?

Sarah Lewis storyline up there for me especially the hostage climax.

I was only a kid at the time but remember Gypsy being held hostage and that really creeping me out when I was younger. If anyone could give me a run down on what that was all about be appreciated. 

What do you think been some of the shows darkest?

Basically Joel had nicked David D'Angelo (who used the pseudonym Robert Perez) years ago in ?? and once he got out, he posed as Gypsy's tutor then kidnapped her as revenge and later set the Nash family's house on fire. He was arrested, but later got out to recover some money which Duncan and a mate had found and he menaced him and Ailsa.

A clifftop battle ensued, Joel pulled D'Angelo to safety who then lied about him assaulting him but it was proven untrue and D'Angelo was sent back to prison.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've got to go with Sarah Lewis.  That storyline was wonderfully ahead of its time.  We understand mental health a lot better now, but back in 2004 there was still a stigma.  I don't think you could do it like that today.  Plus, Bevan Lee to his credit had the balls to kill off a major character - not a guestie or randomer - and unleash the drama that followed through from that.  Which in turn gave Beau's then girlfriend the opportunity to deliver the performance of a lifetime as a grieving Hayley.

As it was, 7+ had the Olympic Siege up last Christmas (both broadcasters had 35th Anniversary best ofs on their streamers) and thanks to a VPN I was able to see it in HD for the first time.  Still epic.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As someone else said previously, we must apply time context when interpreting the brutality degree of a storyline. Meg's death, arguably, felt brutal in 1992. As did Dale in 93; EastEnders had "done" cot death in 85 but the soap was still very new. We had known Pippa (and the show) for five years and she was, arguably, the most linchpin character. We also knew what a great Mum she was. So we felt it immensely. 

There's also something so real, brutal and clinical about soap comas / brain deaths from the early-mid 90s that we never saw again, before or after, including Bobby's. If you compare with Daphne in Neighbours' ridiculously unbelievably romanticised "I love you Clarkey... Flatline!" (and every soap coma post 2000 with miraculous recoveries or someone murderously snipping a ventilator chord), Bobby's brain death assesment (along with the coldness of the actress playing her Doctor) was a far more accurate depiction of the reality of those situations. Which made it hurt more. Very similar to Tony Dixon (Brookside, though that was a Persistent Vegetative State scenario), Julie Martin (Neighbours) and Samir Rashid (Coronation Street). Factually believable and gritty. With it being Bobby, it just hurt that bit more. Wouldn't it have been so far less effective to see say Frank returning to a "I love you Frankie!"... oh, wait, she's in cardiac arrest type sitiation? I believe so...

Edited by nenehcherry2
  • Like 1