Do you think they'd have ever axed Pippa?

cymbaline

• 1 month later...

Also if Pippa had stayed I think she would have been a great asset to a drop in centre which came into the show around 2000. 

It’s a shame 7two episodes of the Early Years stopped as it would be great to see Pippa's final episodes again. Even though her final episode was a let down . 

But given they did not kill off Pippa I think it's possible they were hoping one day Debra might agree to return permanently.

Debra said in an interview on Back to the Bay site that the main reason she left was because she wanted to move back to Melbourne as her mum lived there.  Who knows had her circumstances be different she might have stayed on the show till this day. But I guess it is what it is . 

Edited by j.laur5

9 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

Also if Pippa had stayed I think she would have been a great asset to a drop in centre which came into the show around 2000. 

It’s a shame 7two episodes of the Early Years stopped as it would be great to see Pippa's final episodes again. Even though her final episode was a let down . 

But given they did not kill off Pippa I think it's possible they were hoping one day Debra might agree to return permanently.

Debra said in an interview on Back to the Bay site that the main reason she left was because she wanted to move back to Melbourne as her mum lived there.  Who knows had her circumstances be different she might have stayed on the show till this day. But I guess it is what it is . 

Also a possibility that the drop in centre would never have existed had she stayed. The concept of said centre felt like another example of them trying to "gap fill" some kind of link to the fostering past (minus PIppa's presence) without doing obvious fostering in SBH after the Nash era (albeit, Rhys and Shelley then fostered Brodie!).

The drop in centre concept was nothing new for the show. This apparent need for a "drop in centre" or "youth refuge" for teens was something commented on by other characters time and time again from circa 89. I'm fact, they were raising money to construct one when Don paid his daughter's fare for THAT speedboat trip. And the diner its very self was originally intended by Ailsa to be a place for "kids to drop in and hang out" (but quickly evolved into an obesity-inducing profit machine for Ailsa and Bobby). 

Always found it very bizarre that, of all the places in the world, runaway teens just happened to "wash up" in Summer Bay. A random costal village. Without them even knowing prior that it was "the fostering capital of Australia" (quote: Quinn, 95). Felt very forced to me!

Edited by nenehcherry2
  • Like 3

It was those pesky Fletchers who started the rot! Back when the show started, a foster family coming to town was thought to be quite exotic. That implies that drop-in centres weren't even on the horizon at the time. Then once the Fletchers moved to town, it became a magnet for every runaway in NSW. 

10 hours ago, cymbaline said:

Before that, Andrew Foley became a youth worker. That's what brought his relationship with Stacey Macklin to an end.

Only because Mark Gottli... I mean Brad Coo.. Mick, turned over the joint!?

7 hours ago, cymbaline said:

It was those pesky Fletchers who started the rot! Back when the show started, a foster family coming to town was thought to be quite exotic. That implies that drop-in centres weren't even on the horizon at the time. Then once the Fletchers moved to town, it became a magnet for every runaway in NSW. 

That you, Doris Peters??

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Only because Mark Gottli... I mean Brad Coo.. Mick, turned over the joint!?

That you, Doris Peters??

Waiting a "brad cooper became mark gottlieb of Summer Bay" post to appear at some point ?

19 hours ago, cymbaline said:

I'm not one to gossip but...

Oh... Alf! 

Edited by nenehcherry2
  • Haha 1

On 02/07/2023 at 11:33, nenehcherry2 said:

Always found it very bizarre that, of all the places in the world, runaway teens just happened to "wash up" in Summer Bay. A random costal village. Without them even knowing prior that it was "the fostering capital of Australia" (quote: Quinn, 95). Felt very forced to me!

All “passing through” a peninsula. Wonder where they were planning to sail (or swim) to…

Edited by c120701
  • Haha 1