Do you think they'd have ever axed Pippa?

cymbaline

A note on the plans for Irene.

As I recall from when Coral was on these forums in the mid-2000's, Bevan Lee wanted to write Irene out but was heavily talked out of doing it.  Coral's version of events was that Seven did a ton of research that saw Irene as the most popular character.  Infact I believe this all may have come out during BTTB's first Most Popular Character poll 19 (!) years back, as I distinctly recall it being mentioned, either by Dan or Chris, that Irene got an 11th-hour surge in votes.

The two short stints Bevan Lee had as showrunner were first rate television but yeah, he got that one wrong.

• Thanks 2

• 7 months later...

Axing Pippa would have possibly had the show go into a weird spot like Prisoner did once Bea left and Myra left (Ailsa's passing kinda had that feel). I can see they would have brought back Marilyn to foster or have Irene become a foster parent, like through the channels like Tom/Michael and Pippa went through. Or maybe brought back Carly and Ben or Frank and Roo to become foster parents.

Also, referring to the above post, axing Irene would have probably put the show into a weird spot too.

On 28/02/2024 at 03:17, Luigi Severus Fletcher said:

Also, referring to the above post, axing Irene would have probably put the show into a weird spot too.

Definitely by 2002 when it was supposedly in the works, anyway. The show was very light on long-term characters at that point. We had Sally, Alf and Fisher (who left a few months into 2003 anyway!), and the newly-returned Jesse who had a lengthy stint in the 1990s, but most other characters only had a few years under their better. Leah and Colleen were still relatively new. It's hard to imagine justifying axing a character of 10 years under those circumstances, whomever it was. 

It would have left the show without a "dedicated" foster parent, which would have felt weird - this was Sally's pre-foster parents days and Alf and Fisher were generally only getting relatives like Sam and Seb by this point.