World Cup 2022

pembie

Yep. After Argentina managed to get through easily despite losing their first game, we have Germany and Belgium going out at the group stage, Spain finishing second to Japan and Croatia finishing second to Morocco! It's gone a bit mad. Oh well. England and USA through, along with France and Netherlands, and Brazil and Portugal even though they've got one game to play tomorrow.

There have been quite a few upsets but in the cases of France/Brazil they fielded weaker sides as they had already qualified and wanted to rest key players so I'm expecting to see both teams at the business end.

I'm one of those people that would quite like to see Messi lift the trophy being one of the all time greats (and also considering the stick he's gotten of his own countrymen) but having watched them against Poland and Australia earlier on I don't think they are capable of winning the tournament.  I'm not even sure if they will be able to beat the Netherlands given how organised they were against the USA.  Argentina wasted a lot of chances in both their last 2 games and will struggle against the Dutch who may only allow one or two decent chances if that.

I can't see England losing against Senegal.  Their record against African teams has been pretty good.  England have gotten a bit of flack themselves but just looking at the results, they're the top scorers of the competition at the moment with 9 goals, they topped their group and are also unbeaten (In fact I believe only 5 out of the 16 teams that got to the second round haven't lost).  So I would expect to see an England/France Quarter Final (Poland didn't offer anything against Argentina and it wouldn't surprise me if they start playing for penalties after the opening whistle is blown against France).

Well Ghana didn't get their revenge on the Uruguayans although at least Uruguay went out with them.  Is it wrong that I found Suarez crying quite amusing?

Well, after a couple of surprise eliminations at the group stage, the second round has been depressingly predictable so far, with Argentina, Netherlands, France and England all through. We might get some surprises in the other four games, but chances are it'll be Brazil, Portugal, Spain and Croatia joining them in the quarter-finals.(Morocco and Japan both winning their groups ironically counted against them: Instead of playing each other, they're up against the two big names that finished second!) At least things should be a less certain after that.

England manage another impressive demolition, with the failure to get a breakthrough against USA being their only blip so far.And Harry Kane finally added a goal to an impressive list of assists. See how they do against France then...

It’s been difficult to see the games when sharing a TV I didn’t watch it tonight but oh well I’m not interested now that we are out Shame again I don’t think I will ever see England win haha We have a strong team though I think but people like France are like one of the hardest to beat I think 

So, yeah, England done for another four years.Would have helped if Kane kept that penalty down, but if they need two penalties just to take it to extra-time, they're in trouble.

Well done, Morocco, for beating the odds and knocking out both Spain and Portugal.(Bye, Ronaldo.Good luck finding a new club.)Argentina knocking out Netherlands on penalties had me going "Should have brought Krul": Nice to know my prediction about Van Gaal bringing three keepers with about ten caps between them being a bad idea wasn't too far off the mark.And Brazil going out on penalties as well and boy, did they ask for it: Everyone with a brain knows you don't get your best player to take the fifth penalty, because if you don't score both of the first two, there's a good chance it won't get to him.

So, Argentina in the final with either France or Morocco to join them. You'd think France would be the favourites but Morocco seem to laugh at favourites.

Wow, what a final.  Well, I think that the 2 best teams played off against each other.  Worthy finalists.  When Argentina went 2 goals up, it did look like there was only going to be one winner but they drop a 2 goal lead against the Netherlands.  However France were so poor for most of the game, I wasn't sure if it was possible.  Props to Deschamps for the substitutions.  I do think Argentina deserved to win.  Messi has been amazing throughout the entire tournament, scored twice today, finally claims a World Cup and can retire from International football on a high and can silence all his previous critics.  Mbappe displayed brilliance to drag France from the brink twice - Imagine scoring a hatrick in the final, getting the Golden Boot and still losing.  I liked the way Emmanuel Macron was cheering when Mbappe scored and consoling him afterwards.

South America finally wins after 4 successive European victories.  I'm sure France will be back.  They have a lot of depth and their young squad has a lot of potential.  I do feel they are consistently now in the position where Brazil were from 1950 - 1970/1994-2002 and Germany were from 1966 - 1990, getting to 4 out of the last 7 finals.

Congratulations to Argentina for their first World Cup victory since 1986.  Messi has finally emulated Maradonna.

Yes, it was definitely a decent final.It looked like Argentina were going to cruise to it at one point, but then France scored twice in as many minutes to take it to extra-time, and we got two more goals there to ramp up the tension so they weren't just playing for penalties.Some of the Argentina kicks seemed saveable but props to them, and I'm pleased for Messi, who's not only a good footballer but seems like a decent person to go with it.So, three World Cups for Argentina!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived