Succession plan post-Ray Meagher

FootyKick

When Ray Meagher eventually decides to retire and leave Home and Away, who can replace him in his patriarchal role in the Bay, and the face of Summer Bay?

Personally I'd be thinking Justin. James Stewart is well established in the role of Justin, is likeable, well known, and IMO there are still many stories that could be told with his character. They could even move him into the Summer Bay House when the time comes.

I like John but he works best as a supporting character. Can't see him being the face of Home and Away.

On 21/06/2022 at 21:30, FootyKick said:

When Ray Meagher eventually decides to retire and leave Home and Away, who can replace him in his patriarchal role in the Bay, and the face of Summer Bay?

As long as we have that "trusted person" as the unofficial guardian of Summer Bay, I don't think it matters whether it is a matriarch or patriarch figure. Irene is the obvious choice for that role, given she's the next longest serving character. 

As much as I like Marilyn and John, I don't think either of them are really strong enough characters to be leading the show. They work best in supporting roles. 

On 22/06/2022 at 23:50, CaptainHulk said:

There'll be a lot more "Flippin"'s "Gawd"s,  "Girlie's and "Darl"s per minute?

For me, Irene's lingo is just as iconic as Alf's :lol: 

It's just a shame they are not as widely renowned or known outside of H&A fandom in the same way as Alf's are. 

• 4 weeks later...

As patriarch of the Bay, yes I agree that Justin or John could take the mantle.

But when Alf leaves, we won’t have any original characters left - technically we do have Roo but Georgie Parker isn’t the original Roo actress. 

I would love for Sally to return permanently after Alf leaves but I’m not so sure Kate Ritchie wants to come back as she has well and truly moved on from the show.

Archived