How will you watch Home and Away from next week?

James Martin

How will you watch Home and Away from next week?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It will probably be a combination of Five Star and streaming on my TV via My5.  I used my laptop for years if I missed an episode but I upgraded to Fibre about a year ago so now stream everything on my TV if I miss it.  I think that's pretty much the way going forward.  Even with series on Amazon Prime, Netflix etc, people tend to stream entire seasons of box sets rather than watching the episodes weekly.  It's the future of TV as for most people it's convenient juggling it around work and other commitments.

7 minutes ago, Slade said:

It will probably be a combination of Five Star and streaming on my TV via My5.  I used my laptop for years if I missed an episode but I upgraded to Fibre about a year ago so now stream everything on my TV if I miss it.  I think that's pretty much the way going forward.  Even with series on Amazon Prime, Netflix etc, people tend to stream entire seasons of box sets rather than watching the episodes weekly.  It's the future of TV as for most people it's convenient juggling it around work and other commitments.

Yep! During the Euros and Olympics, the BBC dropped a full week of Eastenders on iPlayer every Monday. Yes, the TV ratings go down but they are becoming less and less relevant. 

17 hours ago, ter06 said:

During the Euros and Olympics, the BBC dropped a full week of Eastenders on iPlayer every Monday. Yes, the TV ratings go down but they are becoming less and less relevant. 

ITV did it with Emmerdale and Corrie too. 

STV had to pull a load of evening programming for the Scottish election debates earlier this year.  The originally scheduled network fare was easily droppable.  However, network then used that block to catch up on the soaps which fell behind due to Prince Phillip's death the previous Friday.  So you had Emmerdale at 11:15pm and Corrie at quarter past midnight.  STV did a deal with ITV to have all the episodes drop on the STV player at 7pm.

TBH C5 should do this with H&A now, and simply release each block on Monday morning.  

RTE is, I think, available on satellite if you have an Irish Sky card, and can also be picked up online in the UK.  I know they don't geoblock the Eurovision Song Contest on there but I'm not sure if H&A gets blocked?

3 hours ago, James Martin said:

ITV did it with Emmerdale and Corrie too. 

STV had to pull a load of evening programming for the Scottish election debates earlier this year.  The originally scheduled network fare was easily droppable.  However, network then used that block to catch up on the soaps which fell behind due to Prince Phillip's death the previous Friday.  So you had Emmerdale at 11:15pm and Corrie at quarter past midnight.  STV did a deal with ITV to have all the episodes drop on the STV player at 7pm.

TBH C5 should do this with H&A now, and simply release each block on Monday morning.  

RTE is, I think, available on satellite if you have an Irish Sky card, and can also be picked up online in the UK.  I know they don't geoblock the Eurovision Song Contest on there but I'm not sure if H&A gets blocked?

There have been SO many legal issues over the years which have ended with RTE and Five in court over Home and Away! RTE previously had European rights, then it all got very messy. Also, in Northern Ireland where both networks air,I think either Five or RTE had to block H&A from airing at one stage but I can’t remember the full details. 

Just found this 

I assume that's still the case given RTE and Channel 5 break around the same time.

Did RTE have to take a day off when Prince Phillip died or are they now, in-effect, an episode ahead of the UK, or does 5* count as the European premiere?

To be fair I've got an, erm, method of picking up RTE One and Two in HD so I'll likely either use the Irish feed at 6:30 or record it at lunchtime.  I understand it still rates very well for RTE.

EDIT: I assume they geoblock Home & Away online due to the C5 disputes.

Archived