20 years of Home and Away on Channel 5!

dan

I'm a little late posting this, but haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else on the forums or site, so I wondered how many others here remembered that yesterday marked 20 years to the day since Home and Away first aired on Channel 5, having been poached from ITV, whose last episode aired on 8th June 2000, but who retained the rights for a few weeks after that and had an exclusivity clause in their contract that meant that no other broadcaster could show Home and Away for a full year after ITV's rights had expired. I well remember the last episode on ITV, which ended with Edward Dunglass Jr telling his mother, headmistress Judith Ackroyd, that he and Peta Janossi were now 'married' (and then the ITV continuity announcer telling us, without explanation, that that was the last in the series of Home and Away and plans for a new teatime soap would be announced in the autumn), and then the 13 month wait to see the next episode, with episodes of the behind the scenes show Back To The Bay (which gave this very site its name) once a week whilst we waited for Home and Away to return. It's crazy to think that 20 years has passed and that Channel 5 is now well on the way to reaching the point when it will have had the rights to Home and Away for twice as long as ITV ever did.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, dan said:

I'm a little late posting this, but haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else on the forums or site, so I wondered how many others here remembered that yesterday marked 20 years to the day since Home and Away first aired on Channel 5, having been poached from ITV, whose last episode aired on 8th June 2000, but who retained the rights for a few weeks after that and had an exclusivity clause in their contract that meant that no other broadcaster could show Home and Away for a full year after ITV's rights had expired. I well remember the last episode on ITV, which ended with Edward Dunglass Jr telling his mother, headmistress Judith Ackroyd, that he and Peta Janossi were now 'married' (and then the ITV continuity announcer telling us, without explanation, that that was the last in the series of Home and Away and plans for a new teatime soap would be announced in the autumn), and then the 13 month wait to see the next episode, with episodes of the behind the scenes show Back To The Bay (which gave this very site its name) once a week whilst we waited for Home and Away to return. It's crazy to think that 20 years has passed and that Channel 5 is now well on the way to reaching the point when it will have had the rights to Home and Away for twice as long as ITV ever did.

It was posted about on the BTTB Twitter yesterday! ?

Yes, and they still are with the daytime repeats of Emmerdale, unfortunately.

It initially gave Channel 5 a huge boost but the numbers were nowhere near what the show had been doing on ITV.  Certainly the UK deal has been an intregal part of the show for many years, though, and unless I'm mistaken the Channel 5 deal came at a pivotal time for both the show and the Seven Network.

That's an interesting theory about ITV stopping the show before the rights were up.  Not only does it explain the longer-than-one-year gap, but I wonder if Sally's non-wedding and the emptying of Summer Bay House was originally designed to be the final ITV episode, with Channel 5 supposed to go on-air with the Sutherlands' arrival?  It seems almost too obvious a point to make the transition.

But it seemed weird in that it felt like a final episode, so I wonder if Seven wanted to draw a line at the end of the ITV era and then use C5 to start the new Sutherland era when it returned a year later.

Either way, I don't think it's a coincidence that that storyline happened when it did.  It was clearly designed with the UK market in mind.

On 17/07/2021 at 12:08, Dag Dog said:

It was posted about on the BTTB Twitter yesterday! ?

I didn't even realise there was a BTTB twitter account, but even if I had have known I very rarely use Twitter anyway.

Archived