20 years of Home and Away on Channel 5!

dan

8 hours ago, James Martin said:

Remember the show came to London when the show returned, including a cameo from Atomic Kitten.

This aired in Australia a month or two after Channel 5 started up again from mid-2000, but it didn't air in the UK for another whole year (summer holidays in 2002).  I don't know if I saw the London episodes at the time, but the Fisher and Seb storyline happened just before that, and I distinctly remember seeing a flashback of Alan's death and of when Seb came off his surfboard and Nick had to rescue him, as well as something in the Guardian TV Guide about Nick meeting Atomic Kitten.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, James Martin said:

Remember the show came to London when the show returned, including a cameo from Atomic Kitten.

Those are still some of my favourite episodes to date. 

Fisher was releasing his book about Byron and Marilyn was living here as a nanny, she snook into the book launch but he saw her and chased her through london and to the underground. Only they were on opposite platforms. She got on a train and told Donald not to follow her. 

I think they hashed it all out in the end  but they were fab episodes. 

On 23/07/2021 at 00:01, James Martin said:

But it seemed weird in that it felt like a final episode, so I wonder if Seven wanted to draw a line at the end of the ITV era and then use C5 to start the new Sutherland era when it returned a year later.

Either way, I don't think it's a coincidence that that storyline happened when it did.  It was clearly designed with the UK market in mind.

It would seem odd that Seven would want to do that though, as you’d want to lure the old viewers to the show on the new channel. I’m glad they did it though as Pippa had become Home and Away’s answer to Marlene on Neighbours, left for a trip and never came back. I know they’d actually discussed Pippa not returning on screen, but we needed a proper farewell to her.

I’d imagine the 13 months was probably that Channel 5 were unable to promo on screen during the 12 month window.

2 hours ago, c120701 said:

It would seem odd that Seven would want to do that though, as you’d want to lure the old viewers to the show on the new channel. I’m glad they did it though as Pippa had become Home and Away’s answer to Marlene on Neighbours, left for a trip and never came back. I know they’d actually discussed Pippa not returning on screen, but we needed a proper farewell to her.

I’d imagine the 13 months was probably that Channel 5 were unable to promo on screen during the 12 month window.

Pippa came back many times. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/08/2021 at 11:42, joany208121 said:

It was addressed that when Ian returned that Pippa was pregnant and would not be returning to the bay. He then asked Justine, Teigan and Sam if they would like to join them.

Yes, as I mentioned, it wasn’t a proper farewell for Pippa though.

It also went off the air in Ireland (although I don’t think it was for as long?)and RTE have been in court with Five on more than one occasion as RTE previously had the European rights. 

When it did come back, I remember Kate Ritchie on the front of a magazine with the caption “Sun, Sea and Sally’s Irish romance” 

On 26/07/2021 at 08:02, 630si said:

Those are still some of my favourite episodes to date. 

Fisher was releasing his book about Byron and Marilyn was living here as a nanny, she snook into the book launch but he saw her and chased her through london and to the underground. Only they were on opposite platforms. She got on a train and told Donald not to follow her. 

I think they hashed it all out in the end  but they were fab episodes. 

Not just any nanny…. Ed Sheeran’s nanny as we found out years later!

Emily was on Emmerdale at the time and took a break to return to H&A! She must be one of very few people to be in two soaps at once! 

On 24/08/2021 at 21:48, c120701 said:

Yes, as I mentioned, it wasn’t a proper farewell for Pippa though.

Ep 2855 was the closest when the family vacated the house with the voices of the past echoing. Probably to compensate for the lacklustre departure 2yrs earlier.

I think RTE took a relatively short break (They had the show months before ITV to begin with)

Archived