Not So Sweet Sixteen

Guest Ashirr-Leigh

I thought that seeing has how the board is starting from scratch, I might aswell start a new fic. I've had this idea in my head for a while so I thought I would just post it and see what kind of reaction it gets!

A few things you need to know though.. Kirsty and Kane ran away together after the Mirigini and everything but they never came home because they found out they were expecting a baby! They've had no contact with Summer Bay since. Emm.. I think that's about it actually. Please read and review whether you like it or not!

Ashirr-Leigh.. xx

"What the hell are you staring at?"

The girl shouting was smaller than the one being shouted at but she didn't care. No one had the right to look at her like that just because she was different.

"Well? Come on.. what is it?"

Before a fight could break out, the head teacher, hearing the commotion from down the corridor, came to see what was going on.

"Girls, what's going on here?"

Both remained silent. Despite the fact that they'd disliked one another from the moment that they'd met, they both knew that it was never cool to grass up on anyone.

"What was all the shouting about?"

"Nothing, Miss."

The head teacher looked at the girls, one she didn't recognise.

"Dayna, get to class now, the bell went almost five minutes ago."

After glaring one last time at the other girl, Dayna Smart did as she was told and went to class, her little group of followers tagging along behind.

"And you.. I take it you're the new student today."

"Yeah."

"This isn't a very good start, is it?"

"She started it."

"There'll be no more of that. Go and wait in my office, it's just down the corridor, and I'll be along in a minute."

Imogin Phillips stamped her way down the corridor and slammed the door of the head teacher's office. She hated her mum and dad for doing this to her. She was a city girl, she was never going to get used to a stupid, dorky little town like Summer Bay.

"Do you think we made the right decision, Kane?"

"Of course we did, babe. This is our home, it always has been."

"I know.. but maybe we came back too soon."

"Too soon? Kirst, we've been away for 15 years! The only reason we left was because of your family and now that's all sorted out."

Kane put his arm around his wife and kissed her cheek. The only thing missing from their lives in the past 15 years had been Summer Bay. They'd made a life for themselves in Perth despite all the odds being against them. Now, they were back to live in Summer Bay with their children and despite the nerves, they couldn't be more happier.

"Is this about Imogin?"

"Partly.. she's really angry with us, Kane."

"Kirst, she's a 15 year old girl, it's her job to be moody all the time. Don't worry, she'll come round, who couldn't love Summer Bay?"

Kirsty hoped that Kane was right but she knew that Imogin wouldn't give up without a fight. She'd spent her whole life in a city in Perth, coming to Summer Bay was a major culture shock. Kirsty herself had felt the same when her parents had moved here but it was going to be different for Imogin. She would have to deal with the gossips and the critics who still regarded her parents as "sick" despite the fact that her own family had now accepted them.

"I hope you're right, Kane, I really do."

"You alright, Rhys?"

He nodded his head, not wanting to worry his wife. Today was the day. The day that he would see his daughter again after her 15 year absense from the family.

When Jade had gotten really ill, it was Beth who had done some digging and found out where Kirsty now lived. She thought it only right that Kirsty be there to see her twin incase she didn't make it through the cancer that had so vigorously attacked her. At first, Rhys had been really angry but in time, he'd realised that it was the right thing to do.

"It'll all be ok, don't worry."

He wished he could stop worrying but the thought of Kane Phillips always panicked him. He made him feel like everything was out of control and that anything could happen. He was trying just to think of the positive side of things though - that evening he would see Kirsty again along with the three grandchildren that he hadn't known existed.

A knock at the door detached him from his thoughts and for a moment his heart stopped as he thought it could be them. Sense returned, however, as he saw Dani on the other side of the door.

"Hey, why did you knock?"

"I don't know.. I thought that maybe they'd be here already and I didn't want to just barge in."

Rhys was worried about his eldest daughter. When they finally accepted that Kirsty wasn't coming back about a month after she left, they had told Dani who she was with and it had hit her hard. For months she'd been depressed but she'd snapped herself out of it and rebuilt her life again. Rhys feared that bringing Kane back into her life would knock her down again but Dani insisted that she would be ok, she wanted to see her sister again.

Sally Fletcher took a deep breath and opened the door to her office. She could tell that Imogin Phillips wasn't going to make things easy.

"Ok, let's forget what happened before with Dayna and start fresh now. I want to be the first to welcome you to Summer Bay High."

"Gee, thanks. I'm real happy."

Sally chose to ignore that sarcastic comment and began to go through some things which Imogin would need to know.

"Here's a plan of the school that you might need to keep with you for the first few days but I'm sure you'll get to know where everything is sooner or later, the school isn't very big."

"Yeah, nothing in this stupid town is."

"Imogin, you've got to try and accept the fact that you're here for good now or else you won't be able to fit in with the other students."

"Who says I want to?"

"Being the new kid is never easy but it's even harder without any friends."

"I've got friends, they're just all back in Perth.. you know, in a city with things to do, places to go."

"I think it's time we got you to class now but you'll have to drop the attitude first. It won't sit well with the other students."

"Who cares?"

A defiant Imogin followed Sally down the brightly coloured corridors until they stopped at a classroom marked B13. When the door opened, the noise from inside flowed out.

As they sat down in the garden of their new home, Kirsty and Kane couldn't help but smile. Everything was finally falling into place!

"Daddy! Daddy! There's a spider in my room!"

Tilly was 4 years old and should have been at nursery but her parents hadn't gotten round to enrolling her in the local one yet.

Kane got up and lifted his little daughter into his arms.

"Why don't you show me where and I'll take care of it, ok?"

"It's really big, daddy! It's bigger than my hand!"

Kirsty and Kane smirked at each other, bemused at their daughter's obvious exaggeration. On entering the smallest bedroom of the house, Kane fully expected to see a tiny little spider and he was right. He almost had to squint his eyes to see it.

Kirsty came in holding a wad of tissue and a glass and Kane trapped the little spider in between both of them before setting it free in the garden. In Tilly's eyes, he was a hero.

"Daddy, know how you said we were going to meet grandad tonight? Is he scary like the spider?"

Kirsty and Kane couldn't help but laugh.

"No, sweetie, he's just a man."

"An old man now." laughed Kirsty.

Tilly's fear disappeared as she saw her mum and dad laugh. Just an old man, not a scary spider.

"So what time should we come at?"

"Kirsty said they're coming around 7."

"Should I bring Scott and the kids?"

"I don't see why not. Kirsty will be bringing.."

"Yeah.. yeah, ok."

Beth put her hand on Dani's shoulder to try and reassure her.

"I was just saying to your dad, it will all be ok."

"Yeah, I hope so."

Although Beth wasn't biologically Dani's mother, they shared a bond that was like that of a mum and daughter. They could talk to each other about anything and the fact that Dani was married to Beth's son, Scott, made their relationship even stronger.

"I was also telling your dad not to worry. Kirsty and Kane are bound to be just as nervous as you both are."

"I suppose so.. well, I guess I'll see you guys around 7 then."

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really chuffed to see all the reviews for this! Thank you! Here's the next chapter, hope you like it! Please continue to review!

Imogin looked inside the classroom and the first person she saw was Dayna Smart. Being in the same class as her was not going to be easy.

"Class, class can you all stop talking, please?"

After a few moments, silence fell over the class as they all stared at the new girl. Already they could tell that she wasn't like them just by looking at her. Her originally sandy blonde hair had streaks of blue and pink through it, her ears were covered in numerous pairs of silver hoops and there was a blue stud in her nose. She had city girl written all over her.

"Ok, class, we have a new student today. This is Imogin Phillips."

All eyes were on her. Were they expecting her to dance, tell a funny joke?

"I want you all to make her feel very welcome because she's come all the way from Perth! Now, Imogin, what we always do in this school when we have a new student is spend the first lesson getting to know them."

"Great, how fun?"

Sally glared at Imogin, begging her to stop being so difficult.

"Ok, so does anyone have any questions for Imogin?"

Immediately, Dayna Smart's hand shot up.

"Yes, Dayna?"

"Yeah, I've got a question. What's with your hair? Couldn't you decide on a colour?"

"Dayna! There's no need to be so rude. Just because someone is different from you, it doesn't mean that there's something wrong with them."

"No, it's alright, Miss. Small town people shock easy, right? She's obviously never seen anyone like me before, anyone who's different from herself.. and I don't see how being different to Dayna can be a wrong thing."

A few pupils sitting away from Dayna sniggered as Sally sighed. Things weren't going to be easy from now on.

"We don't have a phone yet."

"What?"

"The electric guy hasn't put one in yet, Miss.. please, it really hurts."

8 year old Tierney Phillips was in agony. Never before had he experienced pain like this.. all because his classmates had been too violent with the ball when they were playing soccer.

"Ok, ok, I'll have to arrange for someone to take you to the hospital."

"No, I just want to go home. My mum and dad can take me to the hospital, please Miss."

Sandra Hartley thought and realised that just sending the little boy home would waste alot less time than having to accompany him to the hospital.

"Alright but this isn't what we're meant to do but since Mrs George is already off sick and we're short staffed as it is, I'll just drop you home."

"Thanks, Mrs H."

Mrs Hartley wasn't sure if she liked being called Mrs H or not but there was something about the little boy that was so adorable. Once he started talking, you couldn't say no to him.

Kirsty and Kane were lying in each other's arms in a deck chair in their new garden. Their little daughter, Tilly, was playing around infront of them with the only doll that had been unpacked from the suitcases.

Although their lives since leaving Summer Bay had been hard, they'd been happy. They may have struggled for money at first and some of the places they had lived in had been extremely shabby but they wouldn't have changed it for the world. Now, they were happier than they ever had been before, they hadn't thought that possible.

Tilly woke them up from their happy little daydream by tugging on Kirsty's skirt.

"Mummy, see tonight when we meet grandad, what will it be like?"

Even though Tilly was only 4 years old, she was a great worrier. She worried about the smallest of things and now, she was worried about meeting her grandad.

"Everything will be fine, Tils. Don't you worry. Grandad's going to love you."

"But what if he doesn't like me? Or what if he doesn't like Emily?"

Emily was Tilly's doll that she never let go. Getting her into the suitcase had taken 3 hours because Tilly had refused to be without her. Only when Tilly fell asleep did they finally get her.

Kane took the doll from the little girl.

"How could anyone not love Emily? She's beautiful."

Infact, Emily was covered in mud and her once golden curls were now covered in pink and blue pen. Tilly had done this when she was trying to make Emily look like Imogin, whom she adored.

"You promise he'll like her?"

"I promise, sweetheart. I promise a million times over."

"Do you promise a hundred times over?"

Tilly had barely any concept of numbers yet, the highest she knew was 100.

"I promise a hundred times over."

Rhys took his daughter's hand and held it tight. Every time he saw her, he almost cried. She just looked so lifeless and weak. The doctors had assured him though that Jade was finally beating the cancer.

"So, it's happening tonight then?"

"Yup, tonight."

When Beth had phoned Kirsty and told her the sad news of her sister, she'd immediately got on the first plane to go and see her. It had been thought appropriate, however, that Kirsty should see Jade alone. It wouldn't have helped her one bit if an argument had started in the hospital ward. Therefore, that night would be the first time that anyone else in the family was going to see Kirsty.

"Don't argue with her."

"We're just having dinner together, Jade."

"Dad, please, the past is the past, let it stay there."

"Don't you worry, Jade, it'll all be ok."

Jade could see through her dad's paper-thin front. She knew that he was panicking about tonight, she knew that they all would be. She only wished that she could be there to make sure things went smoothly.

"Ok, Mr Sutherland, that's enough for today. Jade needs her rest to prepare herself for her chemo tomorrow."

Rhys gave his daughter one last hug, being careful not to squeeze to tight as he knew her bones were extremely feeble.

"I love you, dad."

"I love you too, Jade."

"Ok, I think that's all for now, class."

Numerous pointless questions had been asked to Imogin and she'd answered them all with the same sarky tone as usual. The class had found out that she had a brother and sister, her dad was a boat mechanic, her mum was a P.E teacher.

"There's a spare seat over there next to Bethie, go and sit down Imogin and I'll get you some books."

Imogin reluctantly walked to the back of the class and sat beside the girl who she recognised as being one of Dayna's little followers. It made her sick how all the girls hung on Dayna's every word. She wasn't that special, she just thought she was.

As soon as Miss Fletcher left the classroom to get Imogin's books, the class erupted. They'd ignored their teacher's warning to stay quiet and suddenly all eyes were on Imogin again.

"Look at the state of her, she thinks she's in a rock group or something."

"Oh my god, look at her nose stud!"

Imogin could hear all the whispering, she had a feeling that she was meant to. Just as she was about to shout something at them all, she felt a small tap on her back. When she turned around, she saw a girl staring at her.

"What the hell do you want?"

"I was just going to say to ignore them all, they don't really mean it, they're just bored."

Imogin only just managed to stop herself from being extremely rude to the girl. She realised that she was just trying to help.

"Yeah, well I don't care if they mean it or not, they're all losers."

"I think it's really great how you stand up to them all."

"What do you think I should do? Just lie back and take it?"

The girl looked to her feet as she saw Dayna approaching them.

"Oh look everyone, Alien Alexiah has made a friend."

"Hey, leave her alone."

"Or what?"

"Or I'll make you, ok? She hasn't done anything to you so leave her alone."

"She's here, isn't she? That's enough."

Alexiah got up to walk away but Imogin stopped her.

"Don't move. You were here first and we're talking. Just ignore them like you said."

Dayna turned her attentions to Alexiah.

"Ignore us? You stupid little cow! Didn't you learn your lesson from last time?"

"What happened last time?"

Only then did Imogin notice a plaster cast on Alexiah's arm. She realised that Dayna and her gang must have been bullying Alexiah for some time. Before she could hit out, however, the teacher returned to the class and demanded that everyone get back to their seats.

As Alexiah walked away, Imogin tapped her.

"Meet me at the school gates at the end of school, we can walk home together, ok?"

Alexiah nodded excitedly. Maybe Dayna was right, maybe she had made a friend.

Mrs Hartley pushed the bell in as Tierney squealed in yet more pain. He had been hit on the nose by the soccer ball when one of the other students had gotten over excited.

Kane came and opened the door and was shocked to see Tierney standing there, holding his nose.

"What's going on?"

"I'm afraid there was an accident at school, Mr Phillips."

"Dad, I got hit in the face with the soccer ball, it hurts real bad."

Kane bent down to his son's level and looked at his nose. Nasty. There was blood pouring out of it but he didn't think it was broken.

"We would have taken him to the hospital but he insisted that he wanted to go home."

"No, don't worry, that's fine. Thanks for bringing him home."

"I'm afraid I really do have to go now, we're short staffed."

"Ok, sure, thanks again Mrs..?"

"It's Mrs H, dad!"

Kane and Tierney waved Mrs H goodbye and then went into the bathroom to clean Tierney up.

"What's going on?" asked Kirsty. "Oh my god, blood! What happened?"

"Mum! I was playing soccer in school and I got hit in the face with the ball, but guess what?"

"What, honey?"

"Just before it, I scored a goal!"

Kane patted his son on the back.

"Well done, mate!"

Although Tierney's nose was still hurting him, he was now more concerned in showing off to his parents about his goal scoring. He told them every detail and how everyone had been really chuffed with him afterwards.

Kirsty smiled, both Tierney and Tilly were happy. Now, there was just Imogin to tackle.

Dani waited patiently for her children to return from school. Liona and Findlay would be home from primary school at around 3.30pm and then Paige and Mason would be in about half an hour later. She needed them all to be together.

When eventually everyone was home and settled, she gathered them all at the table to talk.

"Ok, kids, I have something to talk to you about."

Liona, the youngest, was 6 and endlessly fidgeting. She found it extremely hard to sit in the one place for more than a few seconds.

"Mummy, I want to go out and play!"

"Please, Liona, just sit still for 5 minutes."

"Mum, what is it?"

Paige was the oldest of Dani's children and she was 13, Mason was two years younger at 11 and Findlay was almost 9.

"Ok, do you remember me telling you that your aunty Kirsty had come down to see aunty Jade?"

They all nodded.

"Well, we're going to have dinner and granpa Rhys' tonight with them."

"Who's them?" inquired Paige.

"Kirsty, her 3 children and her.. her husband."

It never felt right calling Kane Kirsty's husband. That's not how she thought of him.

"Do we have to go mum? I told Rosie that I'd go to the cinema with her tonight."

"Well you shouldn't have without asking me anyway and yes, we do have to go. This is really important so I want you all on your best behaviour, ok?"

"Whatever, mum."

"No, Mason, not whatever. This is a really big deal. Promise me that you'll behave."

"Ok, I promise mum. Now can we go?"

"Sure, off you go."

Dani breathed a sigh of relief. They hadn't opposed the idea too much. Now she just had to win herself round.

Archived