Not So Sweet Sixteen

Guest Ashirr-Leigh

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey! Sooo sorry that it took me so long to update this (or my other fics) but I was on holiday at the weekend and I've just been a bit pre-occupied with other stuff. Anyway, I hope you like this chapter.. please read and review!

"They did that then, yeah?" Imogin asked, whilst pointing at Alexiah's cast.

The girl only nodded back, timidly. She was greatly ashamed of the fact that she was being bullied, she hadn't told anyone.

"You've got to stop letting them walk all over you. If you stand up to them, they'll be shocked and then they'll leave you alone."

"No they won't. You don't know Dayna, she's not like that. No one stands up to Dayna, you just don't do it."

"Yeah? Well it's about time that somebody did."

Alexiah looked at Imogin in awe as they approached her new house.

"So this is where you live then?"

"Unfortunately, yeah."

"Summer Bay isn't that bad, you know. It just takes some getting used to. I came from the city four years ago and for the first couple of weeks I was totally confused by the whole small town thing but now.. now it's just home."

"It will never be home for me. Perth is my home."

Imogin looked down at her feet as her eyes watered. There's no way she was going to let Alexiah see her cry, no one ever saw her cry. She missed her home though, she missed her friends and she would have done anything to be back in Perth with them at that very moment.

Dani sat staring at the bare wall infront of her. Even though she'd told her dad and Beth that she'd be fine and everything was ok, she wasn't so sure. Not a day had went by in the past 15 years when she hadn't thought about Kirsty.. and when she'd found out about Kane, she'd thought about them together. Those thoughts haunted her and she believed that they always would. How would she cope seeing it for real?

"Dan? Dan.. earth to Dani!!"

"Oh, sorry Scott, I was miles away."

"Yeah, so I noticed. I ran into Rhys on the way back from work and he said that me and the kids have to come tonight aswell."

"Yeah, I've already spoke to the kids about it."

"And?"

"And they seemed alright about it, they weren't that bothered to be honest."

"What about you?"

Dani looked at Scott, pretending to be confused. She knew what he was asking her but she was doing anything to avoid talking about it. Talking only made things worse, she'd learnt that when she'd tried to tell her mum and dad about her feelings towards Kane and it had caused their break-up.

"How are you about all this? You don't have to go if you don't want to."

"I do want to go, I want to see Kirsty."

"And Kane?"

To most people, Kane was just a name. It meant nothing to them. After a while, they'd start to link it with Kane Phillips and they'd remember what he'd done but it wasn't the same for Dani. As soon as the name was mentioned, she was pulled back to that day in the caravan park. That day when her life as she knew it had ended.

"I don't know.. I'll take it as it comes. It's been 15 years since I last saw him, I'll be fine."

"It doesn't matter how long it's been. You still don't have to do this."

"Seriously, I'll be alright, Scott."

"Ok, I'm just going to go and have a shower then."

She smiled falsely at him but he didn't see through it. Lying about her feelings had become second nature to Dani. The only person who could tell what she was really feeling was her dad but most of the time he didn't mention it. He didn't want to push her. If he had been there at that moment, he would have detected the fear in her eyes as she thought about Kane. He would have saw the tiny little quiver in her lips as she tried to fight back the tears.

"Mummy! Imogin has a girl with her!"

Kirsty curiously looked out the window and smiled to see Imogin happily chatting away to an unknown girl. She must have made a friend. Perhaps getting Imogin to like Summer Bay would be easier than she first thought.

As soon as Imogin and Alexiah walked through the door, Tilly and Tierney ran towards him.

"Immie, who's that?"

"What happened to her arm, Ginny?"

Imogin glared at her younger brother and sister.

"How many times do I need to tell you to stop calling me that? My name is Imogin!"

"Oh, leave them alone, sweetheart, they're not doing any harm."

Kirsty joined her younger children in staring at Alexiah, waiting for an explanation as to who she was. When she didn't get one, she decided to ask.

"So.. you made a friend today then?"

"Alexiah, this is my mum, just ignore her."

"Imogin! Don't be so rude!"

"Whatever. We're going up to my room."

"Ok, but remember Imogin, we're going round to your grandad's for tea tonight so don't be too long."

They were gone. Although Imogin hadn't seemed very happy, Kirsty knew it was just a front that she was putting on to prove to her mum that she wasn't enjoying Summer Bay.

Kane, carrying Tilly in his arms, walked up to Kirsty and kissed the back of her neck.

"Who was that, babe?"

"Her name's Alexiah. I think Imogin met her at school."

"Well, that's a start, hey?"

"Yeah.. I'm really happy that she's making friends."

"Just don't let her hear you say that or else she'll fall out with them just to prove you wrong!"

Kirsty and Kane laughed and although Tilly didn't understand why, she joined in. One of her favourite games was to pretend that she was grown up. Being an adult looked like so much fun. You didn't have to worry about spiders in your room because you were brave enough to make them go away.

Jade had just had a chemo session and was exhausted. Each and every time, it took everything out of her, forcing her to rest. She longed so much to be able to get out of bed and walk along the beach, go out with her husband, play with her kids.. but she couldn't. She didn't have the energy.

All she could do in bed was think. Tonight, her mind was filled with thoughts of her family, her family and Kane. She just knew that something would go wrong. None of them were prepared despite telling themselves and each other that they were. If only she could be there!

"You alright, Jade? Is something bothering you?"

As she'd been in and out of hospital so many times, Jade had befriended many of the nurses. She'd become very close to Dionne, the nurse who was on shift that evening.

"Oh, just the usual family stuff."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Nah.. hopefully it will all be sorted by the morning."

"Just try and get some rest, ok?"

"Ok. Thanks, Dionne."

"No problem."

Dionne turned out the light as Jade closed her eyes, knowing that she would not sleep that night.

"Paige, come on, we're going to be late."

"I'm nearly ready, I just have to change my top, it doesn't go with my skirt."

"I don't care what you're wearing, Paige, just get down here now! This is dinner with the family, not a date with a guy."

"Dinner with the family? I didn't even know they existed until a week ago."

Looking like a mini version of Dani, Paige clumsily walked down the stairs in a pair of silver heels that she'd pinched from her mother's wardrobe.

"There's no way you're going out dressed like that, young lady."

Scott was extremely protective of his children and he hated the fact that they were growing up so fast. Now that Paige was becoming interested in boys and make up and looking good, he was even more on his guard.

"Paige, did you take them from my wardrobe?"

"Aw, come on, mum, let me wear them! They totally go with my top."

"Dan, she's not wearing them, she's only 13."

Dani sighed. The same argument erupted every time Scott saw his daughter go out.

"Excuse me, I'll be 14 in just over a month."

"I don't care what age you are, Paige, those heels are not for a teenager."

"Mum, tell him!"

"Look.. normally, I would be siding with your dad but tonight, we don't have time for stupid arguments. Just get your jacket on and let's go."

She hadn't meant to shout but everything was beginning to get to her. She didn't want to be late, she wanted to get there before Kirsty and Kane. It would be less hard if she was there first.

"I can't believe you just made her leave."

"Imogin, stop over-reacting. I did not tell her to leave, I just simply told her that we have to go out. Anyway, I invited her back over tomorrow.. you know how big a deal tonight is."

"No, actually, I don't. All I know is that we're meeting "the family". That means nothing to me."

"Just hurry up, Imogin."

"I've still got to straighten my hair."

"Your hair looks fine the way it is."

"For going to bed, maybe."

Before a full-scale argument could start, Kirsty walked into the kitchen to find that Tilly had spilt her juice all down her new dress.

"Tilly! I told you to be careful, I told you not to take a drink without putting a straw in the cup."

"I did, mummy, but then I dropped the cup."

Tilly looked so upset and disappointed that Kirsty couldn't bring herself to shout at her.

"Don't worry, it will dry in, we don't have time for you to get changed."

Kirsty was never normally this obsessed with punctuality or organisation but tonight, everything mattered. She so much wanted to make a good impression for herself and for Kane. If they walked in late and their kids looked scruffy, she knew exactly what her dad's reaction would be.

"You ready, Kirst?"

"Yeah, just about."

Just after she said this, she spotted Imogin plugging in her straighteners.

"Imogin, I told you that there's no time for that!"

"It only takes me five minutes."

"Five minutes that we don't have. Get your shoes on, you're keeping us all back."

Imogin reluctantly unplugged her straighteners and slipped on her shoes. What was the big deal anyway?

A knock on the door startled Beth and Rhys.

"That must be them."

"No, it's too early, it'll be Dani and Scott."

Beth was right. As soon as the door opened, the four kids ran in and sat infront of the telly.

"Liona, stop running around, you'll break something."

"I won't!"

Scott put his hand over Dani's.

"Why don't you sit down, try and calm yourself a bit and I'll deal with the kids, ok?"

"Thanks."

Before she got the chance, however, Kane and Kirsty appeared at the open door.. and there he was. He hadn't changed. He was exactly the same and that hurt even more because all she could see was the past, flashing before her eyes.

There was her family. Dad looked the same except he had a few more wrinkles. The colour of Dani's hair was different but apart from that, she was the same. The same fear in her eyes still remained.

His daughter was standing infront of him and he didn't know how to feel. Under normal circumstances, he would have been happy but the man standing next to her only made him angry. His arm around her shoulder made him want to get up and punch him but he somehow managed to restrain himself.

Beth looked at Kirsty, whom she had never met before. She didn't look that different from the pictures that had never come down. Her husband looked friendly and warm but the look in Dani's eyes was telling her something completely different.

"Why don't you two come in and make yourselves at home?"

It was only then that Kirsty noticed the other woman in the house. So this must be Beth. She looked like a really happy, friendly person.

"Eh.. yeah, yeah, thanks. God, it's so weird being back in this house again."

Kane immediately became uncomfortable as soon as he felt Rhys' eyes on him. He didn't know whether or not to come in but Kirsty encouraged him by pulling his arm.

Liona pulled Dani out of her terrifying thoughts by tugging on her top.

"Mummy.. who are they?"

Everyone had forgotten about the kids but there were now 7 of them in the room. They all just stood, staring at each other like their parents, not knowing quite what to do.

"Mummy?"

"That's your aunty Kirsty and your.."

She couldn't bring herself to say it. The shock of seeing him had brought back all her old feelings about him and right now, she didn't want to associate her kids with her rapist. It just didn't feel right.

"Your uncle Kane." filled in Kirsty.

"Oh, ok! Hi aunty Kirsty, hi uncle Kane. I'm Liona!"

Kirsty smiled, so happy to see her little niece for the first time. If only the rest of the evening could go so smoothly.

Hey, here's the next chapter! I found it a bit difficult to write for some reason but hey, let me know what you think of it please!

"Are we just going to stand at the door or what?"

Kirsty abruptly turned round and glared at her daughter. She'd warned all the kids that tonight was important, she begged that they wouldn't show her up.

"Imogin, don't be so rude!"

Dani snapped herself out of it and stood up.

"It's alright.. come in. I'm Dani, I'm your mum's big sister."

Imogin falsely smiled at her new aunty and took a seat at the dining table. Tierney was quick to follow her but Tilly wasn't so sure. Granpa Rhys looked like a scary man.

Sensing that Tilly was apprehensive, Liona walked over to her and smiled.

"Hi, I'm Liona and I'm.. mummy, are we cousins?"

"Yeah, that's your little cousin."

"Cool! So I'm not the littlest anymore?"

"Nope."

Tilly, now happier, sat on the couch with Liona and began telling her how she had spilt juice all down her dress.

"Ok, well dinner is almost ready so if everyone just wants to take a seat then I'll serve it in a few minutes."

Everyone reluctantly did as Beth told them too and sat down. Kane made sure not to be near Dani or Rhys and the kids, except Liona and Tilly, made sure that they were seperate from each other. They all had a tough night ahead of them.

"I'm really glad you managed to track us down and tell me about Jade, I could never have lived with myself if she'd.."

"I understand. I just thought that as Jade's twin, you had a right to know."

Just over an hour later, the conversation was beginning to flow steadily. Everyone was making an effort.

"I can't believe she's still with Nick after all these years."

"They've not been together all this time. Nick went to America for a while and was in a few movies but his career never really took off so he came back to Summer Bay and that's when they got together again."

Kirsty looked intently at Dani as she spoke. It was the first thing that she'd really said to her all night. Having a conversation with her made her realise just how much she'd missed her sisters and her dad. Kane was right, Summer Bay was their home.

Dinner and dessert was now finished and everyone was feeling much more relaxed. Both Kirsty and Kane were relieved that an argument hadn't started with Rhys. Dani was happy that no-one had mentioned the past and Rhys was glad that he'd managed to stop himself from getting angry.

Only Kane so far hadn't really spoke, he didn't think it was appropriate but he decided that he should, if everyone else was trying then so should he.

"So.. what age are you, Paige?"

"14."

"Paige! You're not 14 yet." Scott said to his daughter. Why she was so eager to grow up so fast, he didn't know.

"Well I'll be 14 in just over a month so that's practically 14 already."

"I was just thinking, you and Imogin must be in the same school?"

"Yip, we must be.. aswell as my little dork of a brother."

Dani, just like Kirsty earlier, glared at her daughter.

"That's no way to talk about your brother."

"I was only joking, god.. will you just calm down, already?"

Paige didn't realise the implications of what she'd said to everyone else. Her mum had been on edge all day.

"Paige Hunter! Don't talk to your mum like that."

"Jeez, what is it with everyone today?"

At the other side of the table, Imogin laughed. Her parents had been the same all day. Fidgety, uptight, stressed. It was only a family meal.

Half an hour later, anyone looking into the caravan park would have thought they were watching a very close family having fun. The reality was alot different.

After her run-in with Paige, Dani had stepped out into the porch for some air and some time out. A few minutes later, Kirsty had joined her.

"Hey.. we've not really had much chance to talk."

"Yeah.."

Neither of them really knew what to say. There should have been loads to talk about considering they hadn't seen each other in over 15 years but the circumstances were taking their toll.

"Your kids are beautiful, I'm really glad that I met them."

"So are yours, you and Scott make a great couple."

Dani wished so much that she could say the same back to Kirsty but it was just impossible.

"I didn't mean that you had to say that back.. I.. sorry, that was really insensitive."

"No, it's ok.. I.. I really hate how we can't talk properly anymore, Kirst."

"Me too."

"Look, I won't ever understand how you can be with.. how you can love.. him.. but I, I want my sister back, with or without him."

"I want you back too and I just want you to know, I didn't run away with Kane to hurt you or dad or anything like that.. it was just.."

"Don't, please, I don't want to know what it was, I don't want to talk about the past. Let's just concentrate on the future now, ok?"

"Ok.. but we can't just pretend like it hasn't happened.."

"I know, I know, ok? Just, please, not now. I don't want to talk about it now, not with him in there and with the kids here.. I just, I can't right now."

"I understand. Let's just be happy that we're back with each other for now then."

"Yeah."

They hugged for the first time in many years and it felt so right. Sisters should never be apart from one another.

Rhys looked on from inside the house and a tear came to his eye, his daughters were reunited.

Whilst Kirsty was talking to Dani, Kane sat rather uncomfortably in the house, at the table on his own. Beth, seeing this, sat down beside him.

"Hey."

"Oh, hi Mrs Sutherland."

"Please, call me Beth."

"Ok, hi Beth!"

"Tonight's not going too bad, hey?"

"It's working out alot better than I expected."

"Everyone's making an effort and that's the main thing."

"Yeah, I thought that there would be alot of friction between me and Rhys but it hasn't been so bad."

"I think he's just really happy to see Kirsty again, and to see his grandkids. They're really great kids."

"Yeah, thanks. Imogin's got a bit of an attitude though."

"What teenage girl doesn't?"

Beth and Kane looked across the room then and smiled when they saw Paige and Imogin chatting away like best friends. Findlay, Mason and Tierney were talking excitedly about some video game in another corner and Rhys was playing with Tilly and Liona. Things were working out.

"You know what, Kane? I think this is all going to be ok."

"I hope so."

Beth smiled at him and then walked away to talk to her grandchildren. She knew they weren't biologically all hers but she felt like their granma all the same.

Love it it's a bitter sweet chapter,Kirsty and Dani realise they can't forget the past but they can't keep living in it either can they.The best way is forward I hope that it happen's .You have done a fab job again hun. :wink::D

Archived