Not So Sweet Sixteen

Guest Ashirr-Leigh

Hi! I know I'm a bit slow on updates but my exams are all over now so hopefully I should be a bit more regular now! Thanks for the lovely comments, they mean heaps!

"I'll have to start organising it soon."

"I know! We'll help you though, right?"

Her suggestion was met with a whole load of nods from the group of girls that had gathered at the school gates before parting and going home.

"Fiona, Cassie, I'll tell you two tomorrow what night I'm going to have it on, ok?"

"Yeah, sure. See you tomorrow."

They waved at each other as they walked away and at that moment, Imogin realised that Summer Bay wasn't so bad at all. She'd instantly made new friends, some like Paige, Alexiah and Pippa who she knew she would have for life.

"Imogin, I'm so excited! The girls from your year are all so cool, I can't believe I'll be going to a party with them!"

"Not them all! A certain few won't be invited.."

"Oh, let me guess who! Dayna Smart and her 'friends'?"

"Got it in one!"

As they walked home, the four friends began a bitching session about their least favourite person, unaware of the trouble that she could cause them.

He sat in the surgery, unsure if what he was doing was the right thing. He didn't want to betray his wife but it was clear for him to see that Dani needed help. He'd learnt from Rhys that Dani had bottled it all up before and it had done her no good, he was adamant that it would not happen this time.

"Scott, do you have an appointment?"

"Eh.. no, I was hoping you'd have a minute."

Flynn checked his schedule and saw that his next appointment wasn't until 3.45.

"Sure, I can give you fifteen, come on through."

"Cheers, Flynn."

Scott sat down on the patient chair, uneasy just being there. He and Dani were extremely close and they never kept secrets from each other. Although this was for her own good, it still felt wrong.

"So, what's up, Scott? You got that bug that's going around?"

"No.. no, I'm not here for me."

"One of the kids, then? It's not Liona's asthma again, is it?"

"No, Liona's fine. It's Dani, I'm here for Dani."

"She sick?"

Flynn could detect a seriousness in Scott's voice that he'd very seldom heard before. Something was wrong, he knew it.

"No, she's not sick. It's.. well, we didn't want to tell anyone yet but Kirsty and Kane are back."

"What?"

The doctor was extremely shocked and amazed, he never thought he would see Kirsty or Kane ever again.

"Yeah. They came back a couple of days ago. There's hardly anyone in the Bay from when they were here though so no one really knows what happened between Kane and Dani. Only Alf, Irene, you and Sally."

"I take it you guys want it to stay that way?"

"Yeah, Dani doesn't want everyone knowing."

"Ok, fair enough, mate. I won't tell anyone. Where have they been all this time?"

"They've been living in Perth. They've got three kids now, too."

"Really? I never thought they would go the distance, I thought it was just some kind of phase that Kirsty was growing through that she'd soon grow out of."

"See, the thing is, Flynn, I think Dani thought that too. Then when Beth got back in touch with them after Jade's illness and she found out they were still together, it shocked her."

"And you're worried about her?"

"Yeah, she says she's ok but.. I don't know. We had a meal the other night, you know, all of us. Kane, Kirsty, their kids, mum, Rhys, Dani, me and the kids. It was nice to meet my sister in law and my nieces and nephew but I'm not so sure about Dan."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it's not like anyone was expecting her to just be ok but that's the way she's trying to act like she is. When she first saw him again, Flynn, you should have seen her face. She looked petrified. I just don't know what to do for the best. She doesn't even know I'm here, she'd kill me if she knew."

"Ok.. well, it's bound to be a shock for her."

"Yeah, I understand that. I was just wondering, maybe you could talk to her?"

"If you think it will help."

"Well, you're her counsellor, right? I mean, I know you haven't counselled her in years but I think she could really do with opening up to someone. If that person can't be me then it should be you."

"Alright, Scott, I'll try my best.. and I won't let on that you said anything to me."

"Thanks, Flynn, it means alot, really."

When Dayna got home that afternoon, she was glad to see that her gran was no longer there. Infact her parents weren't either. There was a note from them on the kitchen table saying that they'd taken gran out for the evening and would be back around 10.

"Dayna, is that you?"

"Yeah, who else is it going to be?"

Maggie and Dayna always fought like cat and dog. They were only half sisters, Maggie's mother was Debbie whilst Dayna's was Lance's second wife, Alice. That meant that Maggie only stayed in Summer Bay every other week, choosing to spend some time at her mum's and some time at her dad's when they'd split up.

"No need to be so rude."

"Aren't you going out or anything?"

"No, I've got an exam tomorrow, I'm studying."

"That's what libraries are for."

Maggie, being the more mature of the two, simply walked away. She didn't have time to get into one of her infamous arguments with her sister. There were times when they got on really well and deep down, they knew that they loved each other.. they just didn't necessarily like each other. It was hard for most people to like Dayna. She was the typical youngest child, spoilt and immature.

On getting home, Imogin dumped her bag in her room and set about thinking of ways to convince her parents to let her have a party. It shouldn't be too hard, as she'd told the girls, they were desperate for her to like Summer Bay. They'd be happy that she'd made new friends.

"What are you thinking about, Immie?"

"Tierney, you're such a brat, get out my room."

"Mum told me to come here and ask you what you wanted for dinner."

"She couldn't come herself? Tell her I'll be down in a minute, not get out!"

Tierney did as he was told, not wanting to get on the wrong side of Imogin. She was very moody at times. The whole family, even Tilly, knew this.

"Mum, I don't want anything for dinner, can you just give me some money, please?"

"What for?"

"I'm meeting the girls down at the Diner in an hour or so."

Kirsty smiled to herself as Imogin talked about her friends as if she'd known them for ages.

"Ok, sure."

"Hey, mum?"

"Imogin, come down, I can hardly hear you."

Imogin quickly got changed and ran downstairs. She would have to explain the party in the right way so that it didn't sound too bad and then her mum would easily agree.

"What is it?"

"You know it's my birthday soon, right?"

"As if I could forget. Are you about to add something else onto the list?"

"No.. well, sort of. Can I have a party?"

"A party?"

"Yeah.. you know, a gathering of friends, music, food.."

"I know what a party is, Imogin."

"Well?"

"Emm.. I don't see why not. Who would you invite?"

"I'm not sure yet. Paige, Pippa and Alexiah definately. Then there's these other two girls at school, Fiona and Cassie, I would invite them. Maybe Matt and Damon too.. I'm not sure."

"Boys?"

"Unless Matt and Damon are girls.."

"Imogin, now isn't the time to be sarcastic."

"Yes, mother, boys. My party would get slated if there were no boys there."

"And what would you be doing with these boys?"

"Mum, I'm not going to talk about that with you. It will just be a bit of fun."

"Alright, well I'll have to talk to your dad first but I think it should be ok."

Imogin beamed from ear to ear. She'd been dreading her mum saying no after she'd already told everyone about it.

"When do you want to have it?"

"I could have it on the night of my birthday, couldn't I? My birthday's a week on Friday so it could be on Friday night. Then maybe Paige, Pippa and Alexiah could stay over afterwards?"

"Emm, yeah, I suppose. You'll just need to hope that this house is ready by then."

"I'll personally paint it myself."

"Hi, is Bethie there? It's Dayna here."

"Hang on, love."

Dayna couldn't wait to share her gran's information with Bethie. They could work out together how to tell everyone just at the moment when Imogin thought they were her friends. It would be brilliant.

"Hello?"

"Beth, it's me."

"Hey, what's up?"

"I have some major news to share."

"Go on then."

"You know freak girl?"

"Imogin? What about her?"

"Guess what my gran told me about her dad today?"

"What?"

"He's a rapist."

"Oh my god, what?"

"For real, Beth, he's a rapist."

"Who'd he rape?"

"This is where it gets even better. You know that girl two years below us at school? Paige her name is. The one who's always trying to impress all the older girls."

"Yeah, I think so. Is it Paige Hunter?"

"That's her. Well, she's freak girl's cousin."

"And?"

"Her mum, Dani I think my gran said her name is, is the girl that Imogin's dad raped."

"You're joking."

"I'm not.. and there could have been more."

"How does your gran know that?"

"Apparently freak girl's mum and dad used to live here about 16/17 years ago and that's when he raped Paige's mum. Freak girl's mum didn't start going out with him until later."

"Ew, that's disgusting. How could she go out with him after that?"

"I don't know.. but listen, I have a plan. You know how freak girl was going on and on about her party this afternoon?"

"Yeah.."

"We've got to get ourselves invited."

"Why?"

"Because then we can tell everyone what her dad is really like.. no one will like her then."

"Dayna, that's brilliant."

"I know."

The two girls continued their evil conversation, meticulously planning how to get an invite to the party. They would be friendly to Imogin, do whatever it takes to get invited.. then she'd see what happens when you mess with Dayna Smart.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grrr... evil children... <_< There's definetely trouble ahead... for everyone...

So glad you'll be able to update more regularly (know how you feel with the exams and everything... they're the bain of my life at the moment!) - loving this fic! :D

Omg, there such cow's,Dayna and Bethie,I see big trouble ahead at the party. Poor Imogin. Thank's for an update I know you've been realy busy it's much appreciated as it such a stress full time for you at the moment. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! Here's the next chapter. Thanks for the reviews and sorry for the delay!

She yawned but refused to let herself sleep. If she slept, she had no control over the thoughts in her head but if she was awake, she could normally stop the bad ones getting in. It wasn't fair to think of Kane like that anymore because it was clear, even to her, that he had changed. However, she couldn't help it. She couldn't help thinking that he would always be one man to her, that, he could never change.

After a rough day at the hospital, Flynn went to the Diner to get a coffee. He'd agreed to cover for someone, meaning that he would be on call throughout the night. Hopefully the coffee would keep him awake and alert.

As he walked through the ever-open door, he smiled at Irene and walked towards the counter.

"You're still open, right?"

"Yeah, we've another half an hour to go before I get to go home!"

"Well, in that case, I'll have a coffee please."

"Coming right up, dahl."

He turned around to sit down and saw Dani sat herself, staring at a cup of tea.

"She alright?"

"Don't know, she's been here a while. She said she was fine but I'm not so sure."

"Can you bring my coffee over there please?"

"Sure."

Remembering his conversation with Scott earlier that day, he sat down beside her and immediately recognised that she was thinking about Kane. He'd gone through so much with Dani when she was first attacked, he could tell when she was relapsing.

"Hey Dani, you ok?"

She jumped, not expecting anyone to sit next to her. After not being able to sleep at home, she'd come to the Diner, in the hope that no one else would be there and she'd have some space to think.

"Yeah, I'm fine. What you doing here?"

"I'm on call, thought the coffee would keep me awake."

"Oh right, ok."

Flynn wasn't really sure whether or not to mention the fact that he knew Kane was back. He didn't want to drop Scott in it, he'd promised, but he could see that Dani was probably not going to say anything herself.

"Emm.. I bumped into Scott earlier down by the wharf. He told me that Kane's back."

"He told you? Well.. yeah, he's back."

"Scott explained that you don't want anyone to know what happened and I just want to let you know, no one will find out from me."

"Thanks, Flynn. We just don't want the past dragged up again."

"That's totally understandable."

"Have you saw him?"

"Kane?"

Dani nodded her head. She tried to avoid saying his name, it somehow seemed to make things seem alot worse.

"No, I've not seen him. Have you yet?"

Flynn knew that she had, he just preferred that she tell him herself. If she wanted help, it had to come from her.

"Yeah. We had a meal."

"And? How was it?"

"Fine."

"Really? It must have been a bit weird, seeing him after all that time."

"I suppose it was a bit."

"You know you can talk to me Dani, don't you?"

"I.."

Before she could finish, Irene unknowingly interrupted.

"Here's your coffee, Flynn. Sorry for the wait, I think the machine's on the blink."

"No worries, thanks."

Dayna was staying over with Bethie that night, desperately trying to figure out how to get themselves invited to Imogin's party. It would be the perfect revenge if only they could put together a plan.

"We'll have to be nice to her."

"I don't know if I can bear that, Beth."

Dayna sighed. She knew that Bethie was right but the thought of sucking up to that overrated little townie made her feel sick. She had a reputation to protect after all.

"Come on, Dayna. It'll be worth it if what your gran says is true."

"Course it's true. My gran may be batty but she knows everything there is to know about Summer Bay."

The girls smiled at each other, almost unable to wait the week until it was Imogin's party. She'd swanned into Summer Bay thinking she owned it, stealing Dayna's friends and status and it wasn't on. No one messed with Dayna Smart, Imogin Phillips was soon to learn this lesson the hard way.

"You know what, Immie?"

"Stop there."

"What?"

"Immie, don't call me Immie. My little brat of a brother does that and it makes me feel sick."

"Aww, I think Tierney's cute!"

"You wouldn't be saying that if you had to live with him!"

"I'd swap him for Mason any day."

The four girls laughed as they discussed their brothers and sisters. They were chatting like they'd known each other for years when in fact, Pippa and Paige were the only ones who'd known each other all their lives.

They were all staying at Alexiah's that night, much to her dad's delight. Finally, she was making friends. It had taken her a long time to settle into Summer Bay and then when she'd eventually made a friend, the girl had moved away to England. It had hit Alexiah hard and the bullies had hit her even harder.

"You girls want anything?"

"Sorry, are we being too loud, mum?"

"No, not at all. I was just wondering if you's wanted a snack?"

"Yeah, thanks dad."

"How do burgers sound?"

"Great."

Alexiah smiled at her dad, a smile that he hadn't seen in a long time. These girls were making her happy, happier than she'd been in ages.

"Hey, Lexi, where's your mum?"

She immediately looked to a locket around her neck.

"Emm.. she's, she's dead."

"Crap, I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"It's alright. I don't mind talking about her."

"How did she die?"

"A road crash. It's why me and dad moved here four years back. Fresh start and all, you know?"

"That's apparently why mum and dad shipped my family to Summer Bay. Anyway, I'm really sorry about your mum."

"That's ok. I'm over it now, if you know what I mean? Obviously I still think about her.. everyday.. but I don't get so sad about it now."

Paige felt tears in her eyes.

"I think it's time for a group hug, guys!"

They all bunched together, each of them grateful for the new friends they had made.

"I can't believe how easy Imogin's fitting in."

"I know, it's great."

Kirsty and Kane were enjoying their quiet night infront of the tv. Many years ago, that wouldn't have been enough for them. They would have to be doing something, something exciting, something risky. That's what their relationship had been. In the beginning at least. Now, a night infront of the tv meant the world to them. With three kids, it was hard to find the time to be alone and enjoy each other's company.

"You know, I never thought this would work out. I only came here because you wanted to.. but now, I'm happy we did."

"Aww Kane, that's so sweet. You should have told me that you didn't want to come."

"It's not that I didn't want to.. I guess I was scared to."

"Because of my dad?"

"A bit, maybe.. but more so because of Dani. See, your dad can hurt me, physically, you know? Or he could at least. With Dani, it's different. I hate how I feel when I'm around her. I know that it's my own fault but I hate it all the same. It's getting easier though, getting better. I think it could really be ok."

"I understand. I feel the same sometimes. I hate that we had to hurt Dani to be together, especially as she was so hurt already.. but it's the way it had to be."

"I love you so much, Kirst."

"I love you too, Kane. You've given up so much for me so that I could come here and be closer to Jade."

"Yeah.. well, you gave up so much for me so that we could be together."

"We're perfect for each other, you know that?"

"I've known it since the moment I set eyes on you."

"Aww, Kane, that's the sweetest thing you've ever said to me."

They kissed, the first time they'd been able to in a while. They just had a feeling that everything would be ok. Jade was being released from hospital, Imogin was settling in better than they could have imagined. What could possibly go wrong?

"Did you talk to him?"

"No. I didn't know what to say."

He could see in her eyes that she was frightened, she just didn't want to show it. It had always been difficult trying to get Dani to talk. She was so used to bottling things up, it was hard getting her to share her problems.

"You know that no-one will be expecting you to be ok with this."

"You sound like Scott."

"Well, Scott's right."

"I am ok."

"You're not."

At times, Dani hated how Flynn could see right through her. Same with Scott. She could never lie to any of them, for different reasons. Flynn knew everything about her past, he'd helped her work through it and because of that, he knew exactly what to do to get the truth out of her. Scott was her husband, the father of her children, the man she loved more than anything on earth.

"Flynn, please.."

"You don't need to hide it, it's ok."

"I'm only just managing to keep it together, Flynn. I can't do this, I can't talk about it.."

As she involuntarily began to cry, he gave her a hug that somehow felt appropriate. Being so close to the Hunters, Dani in particular, Flynn hated to see any of them suffer.

"Dani, I just don't want you to feel that you can't talk about it because everyone else seems to be moving on."

"They're here for Jade, you know.. I don't want this getting dredged up again."

"You can always talk to me, ok? Always."

"I know.. I know, thanks Flynn."

Archived