Not So Sweet Sixteen

Guest Ashirr-Leigh

Thank's you did a great job on this chapter too, esp with Dani and her fear's have come back even after all these year's have passed and still unable to say Kanes name or feel comfortable been around him with out getting upset.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Oh God, will you two get a room or even better, stop doing that?"

Kirsty and Kane pulled away from each other and started laughing. For once, they felt like the kids.

"Imogin, you're back! You should have called, I would have come to pick you up."

"Dad, Lexi lives like 10 minutes away, I think I can manage the walk."

She climbed up the stairs, smiling at her parents' embarrassment. It made her happy that they were so happy, even though she didn't always show it.

"So they're the girls you've been talking about then?"

"Yip, what do you think of them, dad?"

Alexiah was desperate for her dad to approve of her friends. Since her mum had died they'd become so close. She didn't have any brothers or sisters so it was just the two of them.

"They seem very nice, Alexiah. I'm glad you're making some new friends."

"Me too."

They hugged each other and for the first time in a long while, Alexiah felt like she was really happy.

"Mum, dad, I'm home!"

Sally put Frankie down in his cot and went to talk to her daughter.

"Hey Pip, did you have a good time?"

"Yeah! The girls are really fun. I can't wait till Imogin's party next week."

"About that Pip.."

"What?"

"I'm not so sure anymore. Imogin and Alexiah, they're two years older than you, so are all the people in their year.. all the boys in their year. I know what they're like."

"Mum! You said I could go!"

"I know.. but I hadn't thought about it properly."

"This is so unfair! Mum, you have to let me go, everyone's going!"

"That's what worries me."

"Don't you trust me, mum? It's just going to be fun. Imogin's mum and dad aren't going to let anything bad happen."

"They're going to be there?"

"Well.. not exactly.."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that they'll be out for the night but they'll come back before it gets too late. Mum, please!"

"I'll think about it."

Pippa stormed upstairs to her room, furious with her mum for going back on her word. The force with which she slammed her bedroom door woke baby Frankie up, causing Flynn to come and see what had happened.

"Sal, what was all that about."

"I was talking to her about this party of Imogin Phillips'."

"You don't want her to go?"

"I don't know.. I'm not sure I want her going to their house, Flynn."

Flynn sighed. He didn't know what to do. As much as he loved being a parent, it was hard. A few years after Pippa was born, Sally and Flynn had become broody again. They wanted more kids and it saddened them to know that it wasn't possible. So, they decided to foster. At the moment, they were looking after a two month old baby, Frankie, and his five year old sister, Halli.

"I'm sure it'll be ok if you just let her go. We can tell her to take her mobile and it'll be fine."

Flynn wasn't really convincing himself, nevermind Sally.

"Dad, where's mum?"

"She had to go to work."

"On a Saturday?"

"Big news story or something.. I don't know."

Paige hadn't talked to her mum, properly, in such a long time. Ever since the Phillips had come to the Bay, she'd seemed so distant and far away.

"Is she ok?"

"What do you mean?"

"Like, is she ill or something?"

Scott frowned. He hadn't wanted any of his kids to pick up on Dani's mood. Especially not since they were all so happy at the moment.

"No, she's fine. Don't worry about your mum, she's just had a lot on at work."

"It's just that.. last night, at Lexi's, she was talking about her mum and.."

"And what?"

"Well, her mum's dead and it just got me thinking, I haven't talked to mum in such a long time. I really miss her.. and I know that sounds stupid but.."

"Oh hey, it doesn't sound stupid at all!"

Paige hugged her dad, something she also hadn't done in a long time. Alexiah's situation had helped her to appreciate her parents so much more.

She stared blankly at her computer screen, not even noticing that someone else had entered her office.

"Dani? Dani.. earth to Dani!?"

She looked up and immediately sat up straight when she saw her boss, Mr Ewan, standing in front of her.

"Oh, Mr Ewan.. sorry, I was in a total world of my own there."

"So I noticed. What are you doing in today?"

"I.. I needed to finish a report."

Mr Ewan didn't believe her. She obviously had something on her mind.

"Is it family problems?"

"What?"

"Whatever it is that's on your mind."

"I.. yeah, I suppose."

"Well go home and sort it out then, there's no point hanging around here."

"I should, I know.. yeah, ok then."

She got up, thanked her boss and left. She needed to be with her husband and kids.

"Home Sweet Home!"

Jade smiled, perhaps the biggest smile of her life. There had been days when she wasn't sure if she was ever going to see her home again.

"You've done it up so nice, Nick."

"I wanted to surprise you."

"When did you find the time to do that?"

"A week ago I was asking myself the same thing."

She hugged him and then began to cry. Tears of joy. Over the past few months she'd cried alot but this time, it was a good thing.

"Your dad and Beth have the kids, we can pick them up later tonight."

"Great, thanks. Aww, Nick, I'm so happy to be home."

"I'm so happy to have you home!"

"Hey Cassie, it's Bethie."

"Eh.. hey. What's up?"

"I was just wondering, do you have Imogin Phillips' number?"

"Yeah.. why?"

"Me and Dayna, we wanted to apologise to her, you know, for being such bitches."

Behind Bethie, Dayna was giggling. The first part of their plan was in action.

"Oh.. emm.. right, ok."

"So, can you give me it?"

"Yeah, I suppose so."

"Thanks Cassie!"

Cassie gave her the number and they hung up.

"Well done, Bethie!"

"Yeah, well I nearly burst out laughing because of you!"

"It was just so funny listening to you suck up to her!"

"We're going to have to get used to sucking up to people!"

Dayna rolled her eyes. Even though her plan was good, she hated the thought of being nice to Imogin and her friends. It went against everything that she was.

"I'm just going to have to think of the bigger idea behind all this.. I can't wait to see the look on her face when we reveal to all her so-called friends that are dad's a criminal."

"I know! God, I don't even know if I want to go near him!"

They continued bitching and plotting, they were going to have a lot of fun with this.

As she approached her home, she saw Liona and Mason playing outside. She stopped for a moment to watch them, to look at them. They were her children, her beautiful children, and she'd been neglecting them lately. She had to get all thoughts of Kane out of her head and start concentrating on her family once again.

"Mum! Hey! Dad said you were working!"

Dani hadn't even noticed Paige coming up to her, she'd been focusing all her attention on Liona and Mason.

"Oh em, I was working but then they said I could come home, they didn't need me."

"That's cool. So, you want to do something?"

Dani looked at her daughter, surprised. Normally Paige didn't want to be seen dead with her parents, now she was asking her to do something?!

"Emm.. yeah, sure. What did you have in mind?"

"I don't know, you want to just go for a coffee or something."

"Great idea. I'll just check that your dad's ok to mind the others."

Paige smiled, she had her mum back.

Imogin lay on her bed, finding that her mind had again began thinking about the conversation she'd heard her parents have. She couldn't make any sense of it. She had planned to ask Paige about it, seeing as how it was about her mum, but decided against it. There was no point worrying her too.

"Imogin, phone for you."

She hadn't even heard the phone ring. She thanked her mum for bringing the phone to her and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Is this Imogin?"

"Yeah.. who's this?"

Imogin thought she recognised the voice but couldn't quite place it.

"It's Dayna."

"Smart?"

"Yeah."

"What the hell do you want?"

"Just to.. to talk."

"I don't want to talk to you."

"Please.. don't hang up, Imogin."

"Why shouldn't I? How did you get my number?"

"That's not important. Just hear me out. I'm calling to say sorry."

"What?"

"I'm sorry."

Imogin didn't know what to say. Dayna Smart was apologising?

"Well, say something."

"I don't know what I'm expected to say.. sorry for what?"

"For being a bitch. It was totally out of order."

"You think?"

"Yeah.. I hope you can forgive me."

"What do you want?"

"I just want us to be friends. It's pointless having different sides, this town's too small for that."

"I don't understand. You hated my guts at school yesterday."

"I was just.."

"Just what?"

"Jealous of you."

Dayna felt like throwing up. Jealous? Of Imogin? Never.. she just had to say that so that Imogin would be friends with her.

"You? Jealous of me? Why?"

"Because you were so popular with everyone when you first came to Summer Bay."

"You've got friends."

"It's not the same. Please, Imogin, can't we just be friends?"

"Is this a wind up or something?"

"No, not at all."

"If it is, it's really not funny."

"It's not, I swear. Please, Imogin."

"Well.. I guess being friends couldn't hurt."

She smiled. Her plan was working.

Ok, rubbish chapter, I know.. but there was alot I had to put down so that other things could happen - if that makes sense? What I'm trying to say is that more will happen in the next few chapters.. this was like a.. filler! Lol!

"

Ok, rubbish chapter, I know.. but there was alot I had to put down so that other things could happen - if that makes sense? What I'm trying to say is that more will happen in the next few chapters.. this was like a.. filler! Lol!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not that bad, Ashirr-Leigh, you write really well. :) I am getting a bit mixed up with all the characters (but I can hardly talk, I've got too many in mine) but other than that it's a great fic with very realistic dialogue. :)

Another great chapter ash, your stories are really good.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Concur - love the originality of your fics, Ash :) But am kinda nervous about what Dayna's going nto get up to at the party... evil child wanting to ruin everything... <_<:P

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a bunch for the reviews, especially since I wasn't too sure about that last chapter. Hope you like this one as much! Oh and hey, I love music, I'm getting confused too! I'm going to try and simplify it! Lol!

"So, mum, what's up?"

"Huh?"

Paige and Dani were sat in the Diner, having some mother daughter time. Having four children meant it was hard for Dani and Scott to spend time with just one of their kids, especially when they both had jobs.

"I just mean, what's going on? How's work? That sort of thing."

"Oh, oh ok. Work, yeah, work's fine."

"Any juicy stories you can tell me that are going to be hitting the press soon?"

"Paige, you know I can't."

"Well, it was worth a try!"

Dani smiled at her daughter who was quickly growing up. Soon she would be 14.

"So, Paige, what do you want for your birthday? There's only three weeks to go."

"I know!! I've been counting down the days since two months ago!"

"Do you remember when you were younger and you used to start counting down the days till Christmas when it was like June? Just after your birthday?"

"God, yeah! Anything I didn't get for my birthday went straight on the Christmas list!"

They were still laughing and chatting away, having fun in each other's company when Flynn came into the Diner.

"Flynn, hey! Pippa not with you?"

"Oh hi Paige, Dani. Nah, Pippa's at home, sulking!"

"Why?"

"Sal doesn't know whether or not to let her go to Imogin's party."

"What? Flynn, you have to let her go!"

"We're thinking about it."

"Come on, Flynn! She'll be the only one not there, you have to let her go."

"Paige, just leave it. It's up to Flynn and Sally what they decide to do."

She crossed her arms and sighed, turning round to face her mother again not before screwing her eyes up at her best friend's dad.

"Fine."

"Do you want a party for your birthday?"

"I'd be allowed one?"

"I don't see why not. We could arrange it for the Surf Club, your granpa would love that."

"You know what? That's not such a bad idea, mum!"

Sitting at her desk in her room, Imogin was confused. Dayna had seemed genuine on the phone but she didn't know whether or not to believe her. She decided to call Alexiah, see what she thought.

"Hi, it's Imogin, is Alexiah there?"

"It is me, Imogin!"

"Oh, sorry, hey."

"What's up?"

"Dayna called me."

Alexiah stopped for a minute to take it in. Dayna called Imogin? Why?

"What for?"

"Said she wanted to apologise and be friends."

"What?"

"I know! I was as shocked as you. I thought she was joking but she said she was serious, I don't know what to think."

"Me neither... why would she want to make up?"

"She said something about the town being small so there was no point in being enemies."

"I suppose she has a point there. It's just that it's not like Dayna to be nice to someone without a reason."

"That's what I was thinking but I can't see what she'd be getting out of it. It's her who's going to look stupid infront of everyone, not me."

That was exactly Dayna's plan, to humiliate Imogin in front of everyone. There was no way they would work out what she was doing.

"Daddy!!!"

Kane ran to Tilly's room, fearing that she had hurt herself.

"Tills, what's wrong?"

"I want a milkshake, daddy."

He breathed a huge sigh of relief, she was ok.

"Is that all you shouted me for? I thought you'd hurt yourself!"

"I want a milkshake!!"

"Ok, ok, no need to shout! I'll take you down the Diner, how does that sound?"

"Yeah!"

After taking almost ten minutes to find her shoes, Kane finally got Tilly ready. Normally, he wouldn't have given in to her if she'd shouted him and asked for something but they'd all had a bit of a rough time over the move so he decided to take her out.

"Kirst, I'm just taking Tills down to the Diner. She wants a milkshake."

"Ok, don't be too long though or else Tierney will catch on and get jealous!"

"Sure, see ya later."

"Jade! Oh my god, it's so good to see you up and about."

Beth grabbed Jade into a hug, something she'd been wanting to do for a long time. She felt like a mother to the Sutherland girls, when Jade got sick, it was like a part of her did too.

"I'm just glad to be here. How have the kids been?"

"Angels, absolute angels."

"Where's dad?"

"He's just popped out to get some milk, he'll be back in a minute. Have a seat, both of you."

Jade and Nick sat down, their hands entwined, each not wanting to let the other go for even a second. They'd had too much time apart recently.

"Mummy!!"

As soon as they'd sat down, Kennie came running through from the back room, calling for his mum. Although he was only three, he'd noticed that things had been different of late.

"Kennie!"

She picked him up and sat him on her knee, cuddling him at the same time. Not seeing her kids had been the hardest part of being in hospital.

"You been having fun with granny and granpa?"

Kennie excitedly nodded his head. He always got spoilt when he was with Beth and Rhys. All their grandchildren did.

"Kirstin's just went down for a sleep, Jade. You're welcome to stay for a while if you like."

"Yeah, yeah I think we will, thanks Beth."

"How many people could I ask?"

"As many as you want, within reason."

"Aww, mum, thanks! You're the best!"

They smiled at each other, feeling that they'd really connected for the first time in months. Having a teenager daughter was not easy, Dani could now sympathise with her mum and dad having three when they were growing up.

Just as they were simply enjoying being in each other's company, Kane walked in with Tilly. Dani, having her back to them, didn't notice them till Paige shouted.

"Uncle Kane! Tilly! Come join us!"

Dani immediately turned round to find herself staring at Kane. Before he could respond to Paige's offer, Tilly had ran over and sat herself down, leaving Kane with no option but to follow.

"Hey."

"Hi."

Tilly grabbed onto Paige's hand.

"Paige, can you come get me a milkshake?"

"Sure, Tilly, let's go choose."

They walked up to the counter together leaving Kane and Dani sitting alone. They both felt extremely uncomfortable, there was no one else there to make conversation now.

"Dani?"

She dragged her head up and looked at him.

"What?"

"I'm sorry."

"I don't want to talk about that."

"Look, I don't either, there's no point bringing up the past, but.."

"But nothing."

"People hear know, Dani."

"They're not going to say anything, me and Scott made sure. I don't want my kids knowing that you.. I don't want them knowing."

"Ok, but really, I am sorry. Me and Kirst didn't want it to be that way, it just had to be."

"Please, I don't want to talk about this. Not now, not here."

"Ok. Don't worry about Kirsty, she's happy."

Flynn watched from a table in the corner, hoping that nothing would kick off for the children's sake.

"Daddy, Paige got me a chocolate milkshake!"

"Thanks, Paige. We better be going now."

"No worries, uncle Kane."

Hearing her daughter call him uncle made her feel sick. She never imagined that was something she'd ever hear.

"See you guys later."

"Bye!"

"So you think I should just be friends with her then?"

"I don't see why not.. but still watch her, you never know what's going through her mind."

"Yeah, I will. Thanks Lexi."

"No problem, see ya later."

"Yeah, bye."

Imogin hung up and went downstairs to talk to her mum. She'd sorted out one problem, now all she had to do was figure out what was happening with her dad and her aunt Dani.

"Hey mum."

"Was that Alexiah?"

"Yeah."

"You want some hot chocolate? I've just put some on."

"Yeah, thanks."

She sat down at the table while her mum watched over the hot chocolate.

"Mum?"

"Yeah?"

"The other night.. I heard you and dad talking."

"And..?

Kirsty was searching her mind, trying to remember what they had been saying but she couldn't.

"I don't understand what you were saying to dad."

"What was that?"

"About Dani, about aunt Dani."

Kirsty turned round to face her daughter, worrying at just how much she'd actually heard.

"You were telling him that Dani wasn't ready to talk to him yet or something. What do you mean?"

"I.."

"Please tell me, mum. I've been trying to figure it out but I can't."

"Dani just didn't take it well when we left. We were close.."

"I don't understand."

"She blames your dad. It's complicated, Imogin. It's just going to take her a bit of time to adjust to us being back. Remember that she hasn't seen us for a long time."

"Yeah, I guess."

She finally allowed herself to breathe out, grateful that her daughter had swallowed her lies. They weren't totally lies, she'd just missed out the biggest part of the story.

"Mum? What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"You've gone all pale."

"I'm fine, just a headache."

Paige didn't believe her mum. She knew it was something to do with her uncle.

"Why don't you and uncle Kane get on?"

"What?"

"You don't like him. Why not?"

"Paige, I.."

"Don't try deny it, mum. I could tell that you didn't want to talk to him when I was with Tilly. Why not?"

"He.. we rowed in the past.. that's all.. don't worry, it'll be fine."

"Whatever, mum."

Paige was angry that her mum wasn't telling her the truth, especially since they'd just had a really good chat.

"I'm going home now, mum, you coming?"

"I think I'm just going to stay and talk to Flynn for a minute, I'll catch you up."

"Fine."

She stormed out the Diner in a bad mood. As she left, Flynn approached Dani who now had her head in her hands.

"Dani? You ok?"

"I had to lie to her, Flynn, and she knew I was lying to her."

"What about?"

"She was asking me why I don't get on with her uncle Kane."

"Oh.. what did you say to her?"

"I just told her that we'd rowed in the past. I suppose it's not strictly lying but.. I so nearly told her the truth."

"There's no point telling her or any of them the truth, Dani."

"I know.. I know that, but, I.. we'd just had a really good talk and I hate lying to her. She can tell when I'm lying. She's not stupid, she's nearly 14."

"She'll soon forget all about it."

"I thought I was hiding this. I didn't think anyone would notice but Scott did, and now Paige does."

Flynn didn't really know what to say. He didn't have any quick fix solutions.

"You've never really been given the chance to get over what happened to you. It's still very much in your mind. That's what we need to work on, ok?"

"I don't want to be worked on, Flynn. I just want to go home and have a nice night with my husband and kids but I can't! I can't because he is there, all the time."

"I know it's hard but you just have to give yourself time. You'll get used to him being around again."

"Will I? Will I really? How?"

Again, he had no answer.

"So, how's things been? With Kane, I mean?"

"They've been alright."

"Really? What about dad?"

Jade was anxious to hear that her family were ok. They hadn't wanted to tell her before, preferring to concentrate on her getting better, but now that she was out of the woods, she wanted to know the truth.

"I think he's finally ready to put all his qualms with Kane to rest."

"That's good. And Dani? How was she?"

"I don't know really, Jade."

"She hasn't said anything to you?"

"Not much. I know Scott's worried but she seemed ok too. She didn't say anything to Kane but no one expected her too. I really think that, after a few weeks, she'll have come to terms with it too."

"So everything should work out?"

"Should do."

If only they knew how wrong they were.

Thanks a bunch for the reviews, especially since I wasn't too sure about that last chapter. Hope you like this one as much! Oh and hey, I love music, I'm getting confused too! I'm going to try and simplify it! Lol! "

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, it's just I got told once "if a character can be left out of a story without it making any difference to the plot then they shouldn't be in the story in the first place" - wish I'd taken that advice when I started "promises", I wouldn't have to keep thinking up explanations for ppl who shouldn't be in the fic if I had! :lol:

But this is a great story, Ashirr-Leigh, and hope you don't mind that criticism. I think you've got so much imagination and so many good ideas, and the characters you've created are very real. :)

Archived