Not So Sweet Sixteen

Guest Ashirr-Leigh

Hey, here's the next chapter! I found it a bit difficult to write for some reason but hey, let me know what you think of it please!

"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because writing's 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration! :lol: Don't know who said that, but sooo true! And, as usual, an absolutely brilliant chapter, love your stuff. :D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! Here's the next chapter, sorry it's been a while! Please read and review!

Kirsty came back in from the porch, refreshed after her long, overdue chat with Dani. They still had alot to work on but at least they'd made a start.

"Kids, Kane, we ready to go now?"

Rhys looked up, disappointed that his time with his new grandchildren was going to end. He'd found out quite alot about the Phillips' life from the kids, mostly Imogin as she was the oldest. Although it was hard for him to admit, he knew that Kane had been and still was a great dad to them and that they all adored him.

"Yeah, yeah, sure."

Kane finally allowed himself to breathe a huge sigh of relief. Tonight had been awkward, for everyone. He knew that everyone would still have to put in some harf graft in order to make things work but he was prepared for that. He just wanted the night to be over now. He wanted nothing more than to be curled up with Kirsty in bed.

"Come on, Tilly."

The little girl screwed up her face. She wanted to stay and play with her new cousin. She'd never had a cousin before, cousins were fun.

"Daddy, please can't we stay?"

"We can come and visit another time, right?"

As Kane said this, he looked over at Beth, hopefully. When she nodded back, he smiled at Tilly and his happiness seemed to satisfy her.

~ Fighting, so much fighting and arguing, too much. When would it ever stop? For fifteen years, their lives had been happy but there had always been something missing. Now that something missing was back and they all wished it away again because she'd brought the devil with her.

"Get out, get out my house, I don't want you in my house."

"Dad, please.. I love him, he's different now."

Beth struggled to pull them apart, she was too weak for the two strong men. In the corner, Dani shook because seeing him had simply been too much. She'd asked too much of herself and now she'd collapsed in a heap infront of her kids.

"How can he be different? People don't just change, they stay the same. Get that rapist out of my house - NOW!!" ~

The shout in her dream somehow woke her up with a start. Normally, after a chemo session, she slept right through the night but not that night.

She could vividly imagine how the dinner must have went, she just begged that it hadn't ended in a fight. In the darkness and stillness of the room, the only sound was her sobs. She couldn't pinpoint exactly why she was crying, it was a whole mixture of things. She was crying because she felt so ill, crying because she still wasn't convinced that she was going to make it through. She was crying because she wanted so much for her family to be reunited that it hurt, crying because she knew that things wouldn't always work out.

"It was alright, don't you think, babe?"

"A hell of a lot better than I expected!"

Kirsty beamed over at Kane who was pouring himself some water.

"You know, I was so nervous before we went but I really think it could work out now."

"I think we're getting there, at least. Hey, what did you and Dani talk about?"

"God, what did we not talk about? It was so great to catch up.. she's.. she's really trying."

Only looking down could conceal the defeated look on Kane's face. The biggest mistake of his life had remained a secret for the past fifteen years. No-one in Perth had known what he'd done, both he and Kirsty preferred it that way. It scared him that it would all be out in the open again now, everyone would know.

"I didn't want to say anything to her, I didn't think it was right."

"Nah, I think she maybe needs a bit more time before.. before she can talk to you."

Kane was desperate for the subject to be changed. He wasn't sure whether or not Kirsty had seen the look of horror and disgust on Dani's face when he'd walked into the caravan park but on seeing it, he'd never been more ashamed in his life.

"Yeah.. anyway, the kids seemed to have a good time."

The kids were running ahead on the beach as Scott and Dani strolled hand in hand behind them. They'd stayed back a bit after Kane and Kirsty had left and everyone had agreed that the evening had gone well.

"Are you really ok, Dan?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You sure, you seem.. I don't know, a bit withdrawn. Has this got something to do with what you and Kirsty were talking about?"

"I've just got stuff to think over, that's all, it's nothing to worry about."

Before Scott could ask Dani what it was that she had to think over, Paige joined them.

"Hey, you know what I just realised? Imogin, she's the girl that everyone was talking about in school today."

"What, honey?"

"Everyone was saying that this new girl had started and that she was totally out there, it's got to be Imogin."

Scott and Dani couldn't help but laugh.

"Yeah, I suppose it must be."

"She said that I can borrow some of her make-up and clothes if I want."

"Yeah? Well don't get any ideas about dying your hair."

"I won't.. not yet!"

Paige grinned cheekily at her father and again, he laughed. His kids were so precious to him, he loved them so much.

"Hey, mum? Can Imogin come round tomorrow?"

"If it's alright with her mum, sure."

"What about Pippa? Can she come too?"

"You'll have to check with Sally or Flynn but I don't see why not."

"Thanks, mum."

Paige ran ahead and rejoined her brothers and sister, not managing to duck in time before Mason threw sand in her hair. Normally, she would have gotten really angry but she was in such a good mood tonight, she didn't care.

Lying on top of her bed, Imogin desperately tried to work out what her parents had been talking about.

"You know, I was so nervous before we went but I really think it could work out now."

"I think we're getting there, at least. Hey, what did you and Dani talk about?"

"God, what did we not talk about? It was so great to catch up.. she's.. she's really trying."

She's really trying? What could that mean? Imogin had been going downstairs to the bathroom when she'd heard her parents talking and decided to listen in. What she'd heard had only confused her.

Then her mum had said that Dani wasn't ready to talk to her dad yet. What? As far as Imogin knew, Kane was unknown to her mother's family. Kirsty had fallen out with her parents for a reason that wasn't known to her and ran away. She'd later met Kane and they'd been together ever since.

She realised that this wasn't something she could ask her mum or dad about though. She would have to try and find out on her own.

Glad things have gone well for now at least.You can't hide from your past it alway's catches up with you.As I think were about to find out ?. Cheer's Ashirr-Leigh. :D

Please read and review! Thanks for all the nice comments!

The next morning, Paige phoned the Phillips house at 8am. She was so excited to now have cousins, cool cousins like Imogin.

"Hey, is Imogin there? It's Paige."

Kirsty smiled as she heard the girl's voice. The fact that the kids were getting on was good, it meant that they wouldn't have to be dragged into their parents' problems.

"Yeah, hang on and I'll get her."

She walked up the stairs and on opening Imogin's door, she was surprised to see her sitting in her school uniform, staring into space. Normally you practically had to force Imogin to get ready for school.

"Imogin? You ok?"

"What? Oh.. yeah, I'm fine. What is it?"

"It's the phone, it's Paige for you."

"Oh ok!"

Imogin seemed to brighten up a bit at the thought of her cousin. Even though she wouldn't admit it to her parents, she'd had a good time last night.

"Hey Paige, what's up?"

"Hi! I was just wondering if you wanted to walk to school together? We could meet somewhere.. say The Diner, and go from there."

"I'd love to.. but I don't know how to get to The Diner."

"Oh yeah.. emm, well you know how to get to the caravan park, right?"

"Yip."

"Ok, well let's meet there. That's not that far from school."

"Sure. Oh, but a girl from school that I met yesterday is walking me up too, is that ok?"

"Yeah, course. My friend, Pippa, is walking me! Oh and my brother will be there."

"Don't worry about it. See you in about half an hour then?"

"Yeah! Bye!"

As Beth got up, she couldn't help but think how silent and still the house seemed compared to last night. Everyone would have to come round more often. She noticed that Rhys wasn't in their bed anymore, he must already be up.

When she got downstairs, she saw him sitting at the dining table, daydreaming.

"Rhys, is everything alright?"

"Yeah, everything's fine."

"What were you thinking about?"

"Last night."

"You agreed last night that it went well."

Rhys nodded, that's what worried him.

"Yeah, it did. I've had time to think about it though and, I don't know, I think it went too well."

"Too well? What do you mean?"

"I'm not entirely sure but I just think after the initial atmosphere, everyone was getting along like they'd known each other for years."

"What's so wrong with that?"

"Well it can't last."

"Why not?"

"It's just not right. Something's got to happen. Like, for example, Dani."

"What about her?"

"She didn't say a word to Kane last night, not that I blame her, but how long is it going to be before the kids start realising that she hates him?"

"Rhys! Just give her time. That's what we all need, time. I, for one, am pleased that everything went well last night."

"Hmm, I suppose."

Rhys still wasn't convinced. Of course he was pleased that there hadn't been any fights or anything last night, he was too old for all that now. If it had been 10 years earlier, he would have thumped Kane the minute that he had walked in the door but he'd mellowed alot now. He just wanted things to work out for his family but there was always a doubt in the back of his mind that things wouldn't continue to run smoothly.

"Paige, you told me that already."

"Did I?"

"Yes! You've told me everything already.. I get it, she's cool."

"I'm sorry, I'm just excited to have cousins!"

Findlay kicked the back of his big sister's leg.

"Get a life, you dork."

"Fin, shut up. No one was talking to you anyway."

Paige, Pippa and Findlay were waiting for Imogin and Alexiah to meet them at the caravan park. It was a little after half past eight, their arranged meeting time, and Paige was starting to get worried that Imogin wasn't going to show.

"Maybe she's not coming."

"Haha, I bet she doesn't even like you."

"Fin! Get lost, no one's asking for your opinion."

"Well since I'm your brother, I'm entitled to give it."

"You are such a loser, do you know that?"

"I'm the loser? You've got to be kidding. You're more of a loser than I am."

"How do you work that one out?"

"I have two well-functioning eyes."

"I swear to god, you are so annoying!"

"It's part of my job as your little brother."

Just as Paige and Findlay were arguing, Imogin and Alexiah approached.

"They're really nice, Lexi, you'll love them."

"I hope so.."

Paige managed to stop herself before she got into a full scale war with Findlay as she saw her cousin approaching.

"Imogin, hey!"

"Hi, this is Alexiah."

"Hey Alexiah, this is Pippa. You know Ms Fletcher, the head?"

"Yeah?"

"This is her daughter!"

"Paige, don't! That's not something that you want everyone to know."

"Shut up, Pip. You're mum's cool."

The four of them began walking to school with Findlay lagging behind. If only some of his friends could live nearer him then he wouldn't have to walk with four girls!

Scott had been out on an early charter and came back around 9am. Dani had just dropped Liona and Mason off at school and was now sitting with a glass of juice, pointlessly glaring at the tv.

"Don't you have work today, Dan?"

"Not till 12."

"Oh ok."

Dani was a journalist for the local newspaper in Yabbie Creek. Years before, she'd considered going to the city to try and make it as a big-time journalist but Summer Bay was too precious to her and she'd decided to stay with Scott and her family.

"Well that gives us some time to talk then."

"What do you mean?"

"About last night."

"I thought we talked about that already."

"Not really. I talked and you agreed."

Dani turned away, trying to think of any reasons which could get her out of it but there were none.

"There isn't really much to talk about."

"Come on, Dan, no one's expecting you to just be ok with seeing him."

"I am."

"No you're not. I saw your face when he first came in."

"I.. I was just shocked. I thought he would have changed but he hasn't, that's all."

Scott sat down beside Dani, determined to get something out of her.

"What did you and Kirsty talk about? You seemed a bit dazed after that."

It was then that Dani realised she was defeated. She'd been married to Scott for over 14 years, she couldn't hide anything from him anymore.

"Ok. I was just telling her how I didn't want to talk about the past right now, not yet."

"Do you think that's a good idea?"

She shrugged her shoulders because she truly didn't know. She only knew that confronting the past with Kane now in her life would be too hard and painful, that she didn't want.

"It's too hard to talk about with him here."

"I can understand that you're frightened.."

"I'm not frightened."

"Ok.. well, I can understand that you're nervous about the past being brought up again but once it's sorted out, that will be it."

"You make it sound so easy. I'm just not ready to talk to him yet, not with the kids.. with everything.. just not yet."

"That's your choice but maybe Flynn can help? It was him who helped you before, right?"

"Scott, that was a long time ago."

"It doesn't matter, I'm sure he'll be willing to help."

"He's not even a counsellor anymore."

"He still knows how to do it."

"Look, I don't need Flynn's help, I don't need anyone's help. I'm fine as I am."

"Dani.. I'm not trying to make out like you need help. I'm just letting you know that you're not on your own."

She got up and walked away, not liking where the conversation was heading.

She woke up feeling more nervous and apprehensive than she had the night before. Beth and her dad were coming to see her soon, she prayed that they'd be happy.

"Morning, Jade. How are you feeling?"

"Yeah, I'm ok."

"You sure? Is it this family thing that's getting you worried again?"

"I suppose."

"It's really not good for you to be stressed out, Jade."

"It's hard not to be. You know my sister who comes in here quite alot?"

"Your twin?"

"Yeah. Well she hadn't been in contact with the family for over 15 years and they all met up last night."

"Wow.. but I don't get why that is something to be worried about."

"She had her husband with her. He's the reason that she hadn't been in contact. He.. caused alot of problems for my family in the past and everyone was really worried about seeing him again."

"Oh right, ok. Well I'm sure it all worked out alright. Just try not to worry."

Easier said than done, thought Jade. Why were Beth and Rhys taking so long?

Before her dad and Beth got there, Nick arrived with their two children - Kennie and Kirstin. Kennie was three years old and had been named after Nick's dad. Kirstin was almost a year old and had been named after Kirsty.

Jade couldn't help but laugh as she watched Nick struggle to keep their children in control. He just about had grip on the reins that were keeping Kennie close to him and inside her buggie, Kirstin was crying because the rain hood had fallen down.

"I love you, Nick."

"What was that for!"

"You're meant to say it back!"

"Of course I love you too."

Before they could say anything else, Kennie managed to pull the reins from his father's hand and run to his mother. He knew not to jump on the bed, mummy was sick, but he ran to her side.

"Mummy!"

"Hey Kennie, don't you look smart today!"

"I got ice-cream!"

There was no need for Kennie to tell Jade this as she could see the damp splodges all down his clothes from where he'd missed his mouth. This only made her happier. She couldn't wait to be back home with the three of them.

"Wow! Ice cream!"

Kirstin finally stopped crying as she saw her mum.

"Bring her to me, Nick."

Nick glanced over at the nurse who nodded, telling him that it was ok.

"Hey, baby. I've missed you, I've really missed you."

Just as tears began to form in Jade's eyes, the nurse jumped in. She had some good news for the four of them.

"I've got some news. The chemo is definetely working and that means that, once you get your strength and weight back up, you can go home and get the sessions as an out-patient."

"Oh my god, really?"

"Really really. You're stronger than we all thought, Jade."

"How long do you think it will be before I can go home?"

"It shouldn't be any longer than a week."

Jade looked at her husband and then at her kids. She was going to be a part of this again.

"Oh, Nick.."

"I knew you could do it, Jade, I just knew it."

As the bell went for breaktime, Alexiah and Imogin made their way to the playground. They'd arranged to meet Pippa and Paige there after finding that they all got on really well, despite the latter two girls being two years younger.

"Hey guys."

"Hi! How was first two periods?"

"Rubbish!"

"Same!"

They sat and chatted for a while when Imogin remembered what she had been thinking about for the first two hours of the morning.

"God, I can't believe I forgot!"

"What?"

"Right, well it's my birthday soon. I'm going to be 16 and I was thinking that I could have a party, a really big party."

"Oh my god, that's a great idea!"

"Yeah? Obviously the three of you would be invited and you could bring any of your other friends. There's some other people in my year that have been really nice to me today so I could invite them. Maybe some of my friends from Perth could make it too.. aww, it would be amazing!"

"It so would! What about your mum and dad though?"

"Don't worry about them. They're so desperate for me to like Summer Bay that they'll do anything to make me happy."

The girls grudgingly went back to class as the bell rang, all of them excited about the up-coming party.

At lunch, Dayna Smart went back home to get something to eat. She was surprised to see her gran, Colleen, sitting in their house.

"Gran! What are you doing here?"

"I thought I'd just come down for a visit but there was no one in, good job I remembered where the spare key was."

"Yeah.. mum and dad are at work."

"Where's Maggie?"

"She goes to uni, gran."

"Oh yes, I remember your mother telling me that. What are you doing home at this time?"

"It's lunch, gran."

"Yes, yes, so it is. You don't seem very happy, what's wrong?"

Dayna didn't have time for her gran. She couldn't be bothered explaining things time and time again to her.

"Nothing, gran."

"You can't fool me, Dayna!"

"It's nothing! Just this really stupid girl at school is mouthing off about a party that she's going to have for her birthday and I'm not invited."

"That's not very nice, why not?"

"I don't know, because she's a loser?"

"Dayna! Be nice."

"Whatever. She's not being nice to me. She thinks she has everyone on her side well, she's wrong. They're just interested in her because she's new, that's all. No one actually likes Little Miss Phillips."

Colleen thought.. that name meant something to her. Phillips, who were they? Then she remembered, Kane Phillips.

"Phillips?"

"Yeah."

"I don't suppose you know her parents?"

"Gran, I just told you, she's new."

"Oh yes.."

"Although she did say that her dad was a boat mechanic and her mum was a P.E teacher, as if anyone cares."

It had to be them. It had to be Kane and Kirsty.

"Gran, what's wrong? You look awfully white."

"I think I know them, Dayna."

"For god's sake, how many times? They're new!"

"No.. her mum and dad, they used to live here a long time ago. About 16 years ago now."

"Really?"

"He was a bad, bad man, Dayna. You stay away from him."

"What are you talking about?"

"The Sutherlands still live around here, don't they?"

"You mean the old losers from the caravan park?"

"Beth and Rhys. What about Rhys' kids? Dani, young Dani Hunter."

"Yeah, her kids go to the school. The new girl is their cousin. What has this got to do with anything anyway?"

Colleen wondered whether or not she should tell her gran daughter about Kane Phillips but then decided that she had to, for her own safety.

"He's a bad man, Dayna."

"Who?"

"Phillips, Kane Phillips."

"Imogin's dad?"

"Yes."

"Why is he so bad?"

"Before he met Kirsty, Imogin's mum, he had a bit of a thing with young Dani."

"And?"

"They only kissed but he wouldn't leave her alone."

"What are you going on about?"

"He's a rapist, Dayna. He raped young Dani and destroyed her life."

"WHAT?"

She feared that she'd made the wrong decision in telling Dayna.

"Wait, I don't understand. Dani is Kirsty's sister, right?"

"Right."

"So if Kane raped Dani, how is he now married to Kirsty?"

"They ran away together and never came back to Summer Bay. It tore that poor girl and her family apart."

"God, this is good! I wonder if Imogin knows any of this."

"I'm doubting it and don't you go around telling people. I only told you for your own safety, just stay away from him, you know what he's capable of now."

"Yeah.. yeah, I do."

Dayna suddenly had a great idea. Perhaps she would be at Imogin's party afterall..

Archived