Why does H&A ignore its past?

I have often criticised the show for ignoring its past but to be fair I do think that it can be something of a millstone.

Sally will always have a reason to return to the Bay and there are currently quite a few people still around that she knows. 

I'd like to see Tony and Rachel return with their son Harry (who would be about 10 now?), plus any other children they may have had.  This would be a nice family with connections to the area and a family dynamic that I don't think the show currently has. 

On 11/05/2019 at 09:23, baywatcher said:

I have often criticised the show for ignoring its past but to be fair I do think that it can be something of a millstone.

Agreed. Especially as it is a show that has changed dramatically over its lifetime. The writers/powers that be have always played fast and loose with the facts anyway. It's a show that lives in the now and you wouldn't want to get too hung up over the details. And having seen other TV shows unsuccessfully try to bring back older, well-loved characters, I think it's better to leave most of them in the past. 

Does anyone know if there is an archive or person on the production staff who keeps tabs on what's going on? Or do they just wing it?

On 17/05/2019 at 01:10, cymbaline said:

Agreed. Especially as it is a show that has changed dramatically over its lifetime. The writers/powers that be have always played fast and loose with the facts anyway. It's a show that lives in the now and you wouldn't want to get too hung up over the details. And having seen other TV shows unsuccessfully try to bring back older, well-loved characters, I think it's better to leave most of them in the past. 

Does anyone know if there is an archive or person on the production staff who keeps tabs on what's going on? Or do they just wing it?

I think they must keep track of some things from the past, just so the present makes sense - like if they're bringing in a random love child or something (although I think neighbours is much worse for that) or bringing a character back years later - like Olivia. There's probably been a few minor continuity errors over the years though. 

1 hour ago, Lunar said:

I think they must keep track of some things from the past, just so the present makes sense - like if they're bringing in a random love child or something (although I think neighbours is much worse for that) or bringing a character back years later - like Olivia. There's probably been a few minor continuity errors over the years though. 

Biggest continuity error was Donald saying to Seb he was only child .

I have mentioned it on here before but I don't know why we never see any of Irene's children or grandchildren - it seems crazy - she will occasionally say she is going to visit them but why do they never come to the bay?!

The grandchildren have never been seen and her kid's could alway be re-cast

8 hours ago, voyager50 said:

I have mentioned it on here before but I don't know why we never see any of Irene's children or grandchildren - it seems crazy - she will occasionally say she is going to visit them but why do they never come to the bay?!

The grandchildren have never been seen and her kid's could alway be re-cast

I feel exactly the same way. However there is a rumour one of them is returning. I guess you should look in 'Spoilers' for more details.

Same with Leah, Alexi has never come back, nor her other brother Chris and haven't seen her parents in over a decade. The guy who played Alex is a director on the show so he could easily come back for a visit. He didn't even come back when she married Zac!

4 hours ago, jrobertshk said:

I feel exactly the same way. However there is a rumour one of them is returning. I guess you should look in 'Spoilers' for more details.

Same with Leah, Alexi has never come back, nor her other brother Chris and haven't seen her parents in over a decade. The guy who played Alex is a director on the show so he could easily come back for a visit. He didn't even come back when she married Zac!

That's exciting news - I never read spoilers though!

I used to read the tv guide which said what was coming up but I stopped a few years ago and I have never watched the 'next on H & A' at the end of episodes. 

I enjoy it all the more for not knowing what is going to happen - I prefer predicting it - like the fact they made it obvious they were setting it up for Leah and Justin to start sleeping together!

I had know idea the guy who played Alex directs but I guess that is because I never see the credits as they are after the 'next on'!

• 2 months later...
On 20/05/2019 at 18:22, jrobertshk said:

Well, she still visits them by all accounts and was last heard to have mended things with Alex who she cast out a decade earlier over the drug stuff.

Archived