Home and Away Secrets in the City

Blaxland 89

I was just wondering what people's opinion was on this DVD/ video release. 

I rewatched it last night and actually preferred the two episodes that had already aired. There some lovely acting from Michael and Paula and although I do like and admire their work, Chris Egan and Mitch Firth seem like they have had too many E numbers. Were they supposed to be funny? 

I found a lot of the things surrounding the episode very cringe worthy now, and all that "can you keep a secret?" nonesense to the camera seemed very juvenile. Also, it not much of a secret, he went to the city and came back! Wow! 

They way is was presented made me feel like a child. Then that Bec and Beau stuff? 

Is it just my age? 

Do people have any comments on it? 

2 minutes ago, Blaxland 89 said:

I was just wondering what people's opinion was on this DVD/ video release. 

I rewatched it last night and actually preferred the two episodes that had already aired. T

I found a lot of the things surrounding the episode very cringe worthy now, and all that "can you keep a secret?" nonesense to the camera seemed very juvenile. Also, it not much of a secret, he went to the city and came back! Wow! 

They way is was presented made me feel like a child. Then that Bec and Beau stuff? 

Do people have any comments on it? 

Absolutely. Very very juvenile and big misfire from Coral Drouyn. In the UK when soap operas Brookside and Hollyoaks released VHS only special episodes, it was because they were more adult than the normal show and contained darker, grittier drama than what could be shown in the normal time-slot. I don't know why Home and Away went the opposite route and wrote a special kiddy version of the show.

I remember watching it and being very disappointed, thinking "this is written for a pre-teen".

It was certainly very anti-climatic, given the secret was supposed to be "too big to reveal on TV" and "would never be revealed in the show" or words to that effect.

The Special Features were good - I enjoyed the cast interviews, mainly the ones with the vetrans like Norman and Lynne, but otherwise, it wasn't great. 

I also got into Emmanuel Carella's music as a result of this DVD release. I even met him once at a CD signing in Sanity :D

How do you think Secrets in the City compared to Hearts Divided, which was released the following year?

Big fat letdown. It was one of the first few DVDs I bought.

Two Episodes we'd seen on TV and s disappointing "Exclusive". The only thing that made it stand out was the Sydney visuals.

The BTS material was ok.

Hearts Divided did a better job.

Does anyone else feel Secrets and the City and Hearts Divided were very "fitting" for that era though? Much of 2001-2004 was clearly aimed at the teens/pre-teens with characters like the Sutherland girls, the Hunters, Brodie, Alex, Noah, Hayley, Josh, Nick, Seb etc, and Will and Gypsy when they were around. 

The show became more "adult" again in 2004 with the Sarah/Felix storyline and has pretty much stayed that way since. 

Archived