2018 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Maybe I’m being harsh on him, I often am, but Colby bullying a mental patient was another reminder of why I’ve never really warmed to the character. It also underlined that he should have left it to Chelsea who would have handled things a lot better. I was shocked by the new of his mother’s murder but I didn’t really feel anything for him, mainly because it’s hard to believe he cares that much. He’s spent so much time banging on about “finding Bella” that you’d be forgiven for not realising he doesn’t know where his mother is either, and frankly I got the impression he saw his mother as a weak person who couldn’t stand up to Ross and would have gladly taken Bella away from her too if he had to. Maybe that’s unfair on him, but as it turns out she was protecting him while he was doing his usual job of making things as bad as possible by joining a criminal gang and stealing a car. And if he hadn’t left his friends for dead and disappeared for years, he might have got that recording sooner and maybe she’d even still be alive. The fact that he and Dean even considered gang warfare as a response underlines my feeling that he’s a River Boy first and a police officer second at best, however much he might claim otherwise, and that really isn’t a set of priorities he can stick to. At least Chelsea managed to make them see reason but I do wonder what a nice girl like her is doing with people like this. Despite all that, it’s frustrating that this is a storyline that really needs immediate follow-up but instead, judging by the promo, everyone’s used up their episodes and that’s it until next week.

Meanwhile, I felt everyone else was a bit harsh on Justin, although thankfully not as harsh as the promo made out and Leah was more amused than anything by him chatting her up. But I did think Irene threatening to call the police on him was unnecessary: He was being a nuisance but he wasn’t dangerous and letting him sleep it off in that chair didn’t seem the worst idea. At least they were pretty forgiving when he turned up with his tail between his legs the next day and Irene even agreed not to tell Willow. (I was slightly amused by John deciding to stay around to see the show.) Mason found himself in the unusual position of being the responsible one and proved quite good at it, to the point of missing out on the celebration party with his friends to babysit Justin. F1’s an NHS thing, do they still call them interns in Australia?

Alf was pretty economical with his account of how long he’s had the bait shop: He may have had a bait shop 20-odd years ago but it burned down in 1999, and he didn’t have another one until he set this up a little over ten years ago, shortly after the Diner moved to the location. (At which point the door was on the other side, directly opposite the Diner entrance, but what’s a little geographical fluidity…) Anyway, after dreading Ben trying to throw him out after seeing the promo, it ended up turning out pretty well: Ben clearly didn’t want to do it and I loved the way Alf just stood there glaring at him until he said he’d go.

Raffy back at school and we got some nice friendship scenes with Coco and Ryder; I especially loved straight-laced Coco trying desperately to go with the flow of Ryder’s watermelon spiel. Raffy’s list of Morgan dramas seemed to mostly be a list of things she should have been involved with but missed out on (I’m surprised she even knows Dempsey existed) because she was caught up in the Palmers’ chaos instead. (Are we meant to believe Marilyn never tidies up? She asked where her book was and Tori told her: That’s hardly “chaos”.) Very mixed feelings about Raffy and Ryder’s “moment”: They work well as friends and I’ve always been worried that turning them into a couple would ruin that.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, H&Alover said:

SG may have been a better option to go and see Karen, but would Karen have been so open with her, she doesn't know her like she does Colby.  Not that it excuses him but Michelle was an adult and as far as he knew back then, went willingly, whereas Bella was a child and didn't have a say.  We don't know what Ross has been telling Bella about Colby, be interesting to see what he looks like when we finally 'meet' him, will he look like your normal bloke or archetypal  bad guy?  That was frustrating finding out we won't be seeing the follow up until next week.

Yep Justin was suitably embarrassed when he was told of what he had got up to the night before, he was really zonked out, hadn't moved a muscle all night!   Mason proved to be the grown up there, he's not squeaky clean in the getting drunk department. Tori was left to get him up, ply him with headache tablets and coffee.  Did chuckle when she mentioned he'd better get his shirt on the right way round before he went out! :lol: Maybe Irene didn't want Willow coming across him when she got home, it must have been earlier than I thought if she was at the cinema with Jasmine and Robbo.  I suppose Irene, having been there, would be more willing to forgive, liked her words of wisdom without coming across as a recovering alcoholic can do.  He was well lost for words when he tried to apologise to Leah but she just repeated what Irene said about forgetting about it.  So he's off visiting Ava again, maybe it'll give him time to think more clearly about him and Willow and their situation.   Forget to mention that  when he was in his cups to use that old fashioned euphemism he blamed Nina for the current problem, if she hadn't issued that ultimatum to Willow she wouldn't have gone off with Dean and Mason told him no it was down to him and his ultimatum.  Part of me did agree with Justin, that is where the problem began but then he does the same thing.  Only thing I could think of calling Mason a F1 - apparently it's a PRHO - pre-registration house officer - now we know! 

I was wondering about the bait shop and Alf saying he'd had it 30 years on and off, as far as I can remember when I first saw him he was running a general store alongside Alisa.  Mind you he's had quite a few businesses on the go at some time or other. There isn't enough space for both of them, those boards  take up a lot of room and now, thanks to Dean, it's getting busier but the trouble is both need to be on the beach.  Actually I'd forgotten Ben was the landlord after the initial hiccups over the pier.  He really didn't want to do it and the non confrontation with Alf was fantastic, him  just standing there giving short answers and oh yes  that glare was brilliant.:lol:  Alf knew full well what Ben was trying, very unsuccessfully, to say and just waited him out, that's the Alf we know and love.  Thinking about it after rather like two male big cats facing each other off and the younger one ceding to the older one with no face lost.  If what we saw in the trailer is right looked like Alf has suggested the Surf Club as he mentioned getting the OK from John who is on the board. It has the juice bar, the gym and Salt is upstairs so where would they put Ben's shop? Who actually owns the Surf Club btw -  is it the local council?

Lovely seeing Raffy, Ryder and Coco together again, Loved Ryder's whacky idea of a code word to divert Raffy should she get stressed.  I couldn't see what that dork had stuck on Raffy's locker but odd (or maybe not) that no-one hassled her now that Abbie isn't there, her little gang seems to have faded away - for now at least.   Normally Raffy getting the wrong book so having  to share with Coco wouldn't be  big deal, then forgetting her maths book, she would have done the same if it had been the other way round. Thing is, she's adjusting to her new meds so what would usually be a minor irritation is making her think its them making her forgetful.  same with her blow up at home when Tori had moved her book from where she'd left it so to her it did feel chaotic. Isn't that something Tori should have been aware of being a doctor and all that and knowing about Raffy's memory problems.

Was that an actual :whistling: between Ryder and Raffy or did they stop short before lips touched?  Rather sweet in a way but it's not something Raffy needs now, anyways Raffy dashed off all embarrassed and left Ryder standing there all embarrassed.  Hopefully both being mature kids they'll be able to get past it, it was awkward enough for Ryder and Coco when they broke up - both times.  I know I've asked this before but shouldn't Coco be 17 by now, I don't recall her having  a birthday party or any sort of celebration.:unsure:

Alf's episode count this week:Four.

So, yes, with a bit of prodding from Roo, Alf helps Ben out.Interesting that Ryder told a not-particularly-helpful Roo what happened between him and Raffy, while she was happy to bury her head in the sand and ignore it. Of course, she's worried it was her medication that made her do it.Unfortunately, this is undone by the way she's been brainwashed into seeing the Palmers' as a quiet unchaotic space, and it feels like the show is trying to brainwash us into thinking the same, even though it's clearly not true and the Palmers dragged her into dramas when she was living there.I notice we didn't actually see her evening, probably to stop us thinking about the fact that she's left a house that Justin's away from where the only threat to her peace and quiet was Tori eating ice cream, in order to hear John coming home ranting about Alf and Ben.(Admittedly, Tori did have a drama the next morning, but Raffy was seemingly on her way to school then.)Coco came over well again, seeing something was up with Raffy and Ryder but not pushing it.

Jasmine is a sweetheart and adding a few quirks is making her less bland.I love the way she kept putting her foot in it, and that every attempt she made to make the weird situation seem less weird just left her looking like a complete nutcase: Tori's WTF expression to finding her standing over her with a calendar was brilliant.I'm glad they've kept her friendship going with Leah too.And she's on hand to lend some support at the end...

I don't think anyone's used the term "pre-registration house officer" since 2005 and I don't think they ever used it in Australia! (They don't use F1 either but we do.) Yes, Coco should be 17 by now.We don't always see every character's birthday every year, but I've seen enough characters stay the same age for over a year to assume anything without confirmation.I think Raffy would be 16 by now if you go by the last age given for her but given that that contradicted previous information it's anyone's guess.

Just how was Raffy brainwashed into staying overnight at the Palmers? Maz had no idea until Raffy asked if she could and they did square it with Tori, who was the only one about at the time and it's only one night for heavens sake. Normally, I guess all the 'drama' as in Justin coming home drunk and waking her and Tori up, wouldn't bother her but that was pre epilepsy Raffy, now she's obviously more sensitive to it.  Anyways Raffy, not your meds making you think things may or may not have happened, Ryder was just as confused not to mention Coco!  Smiled at how twice Ryder had to protest his innocence when Coco and Roo asked what he had done.  Laughed when both Raffy and Ryder jumped when Coco said they were both busted.:D  Ryder was right to want to speak to  Raffy to sort things out and get things back on an even keel.  Roo was pretty useless in offering advice.

If we are to believe Raffy's profile page on the back to the bay website Raffy will be 16 in June, but as you said Red the younger members do have floating ages.  Guess I should believe everything I read on Wikipedia then as that's where I got the info a F1's  equivalent in Australia was the PRHO.

Jasmine is really throwing herself into being a supportive girlfriend/friend.  She wants to surprise Robbo with a holiday but wants to be close enough so he can pop back to go to any appoints Tori has.  I don't think she meant to lurk over Tori, she could see she was doing her yoga, but then her phone rang.  Was one quirky/weird/awkward conversation they were having at the beach house, was that really the first time Tori had been back since Ash lived there? I liked Jasmine was honest enough to admit she did have the odd worry about Tori and Robbo being so close because of the baby and how Tori reassured her she didn't have any romantic feelings towards him. I suppose with all that happy baby talk and Jasmine buying that album, glad she chose that and not the babysuit which Leah pointed out would prove tricky to get a bay out of when they needed their nappy changed, we ought to have known it wouldn't end well.  Thank goodness Jasmine decided to go round to Tori's so she was there for her.

Alf's idea was a good one, shame John was so against it.  Where did he get the idea the Surf Club would suddenly be invaded by River Boys?  I suppose Ben should put it before the committee, anyone else would have to.  It's a good business proposition , anyone interested in buying a board would, in theory, use the juice bar so bringing in more trade.  Do we know who else is on the committee apart from John and Alf?  Btw what was the point of Alf telling Ben not to tell John he'd already run it by him if then later he told John it was his idea and had got it out on the agenda for next days meeting?

1 hour ago, H&Alover said:

Just how was Raffy brainwashed into staying overnight at the Palmers? Maz had no idea until Raffy asked if she could and they did square it with Tori, who was the only one about at the time and it's only one night for heavens sake. Normally, I guess all the 'drama' as in Justin coming home drunk and waking her and Tori up, wouldn't bother her but that was pre epilepsy Raffy, now she's obviously more sensitive to it.  Anyways Raffy, not your meds making you think things may or may not have happened, Ryder was just as confused not to mention Coco!  Smiled at how twice Ryder had to protest his innocence when Coco and Roo asked what he had done.  Laughed when both Raffy and Ryder jumped when Coco said they were both busted.:D  Ryder was right to want to speak to  Raffy to sort things out and get things back on an even keel.  Roo was pretty useless in offering advice.

If we are to believe Raffy's profile page on the back to the bay website Raffy will be 16 in June, but as you said Red the younger members do have floating ages.  Guess I should believe everything I read on Wikipedia then as that's where I got the info a F1's  equivalent in Australia was the PRHO.

Jasmine is really throwing herself into being a supportive girlfriend/friend.  She wants to surprise Robbo with a holiday but wants to be close enough so he can pop back to go to any appoints Tori has.  I don't think she meant to lurk over Tori, she could see she was doing her yoga, but then her phone rang.  Was one quirky/weird/awkward conversation they were having at the beach house, was that really the first time Tori had been back since Ash lived there? I liked Jasmine was honest enough to admit she did have the odd worry about Tori and Robbo being so close because of the baby and how Tori reassured her she didn't have any romantic feelings towards him. I suppose with all that happy baby talk and Jasmine buying that album, glad she chose that and not the babysuit which Leah pointed out would prove tricky to get a bay out of when they needed their nappy changed, we ought to have known it wouldn't end well.  Thank goodness Jasmine decided to go round to Tori's so she was there for her.

Alf's idea was a good one, shame John was so against it.  Where did he get the idea the Surf Club would suddenly be invaded by River Boys?  I suppose Ben should put it before the committee, anyone else would have to.  It's a good business proposition , anyone interested in buying a board would, in theory, use the juice bar so bringing in more trade.  Do we know who else is on the committee apart from John and Alf?  Btw what was the point of Alf telling Ben not to tell John he'd already run it by him if then later he told John it was his idea and had got it out on the agenda for next days meeting?

Wasn’t Leah on the committee at one point? I think originally she just holding Vinnie’s proxy, but it’s a shame they haven’t kept that on. I assume John is now the Treasurer whilst Alf is now the Chairman again, but at one point Alf resigned the chairmanship and John took over, but I think it benefits Alf’s character to be the Chairman.

Going back to Justin saying to Leah about how it would be nice to have a 'normal'  girlfriend instead of one who was trouble is he forgetting he went out with and got engaged to Phoebe who wasn't exactly plain sailing?  Scarlett was on the surface  OK but she had a past, as in a husband who she was on the run from and a son who had died in tragic circumstances so another one who had baggage.  Scarlett of course went back with Caleb to give their marriage another go.

The thing about brainwashing is it's a long term thing that eventually takes on a life of its own.Marilyn didn't initiate Raffy coming home with her but she didn't need to.Raffy's had months of being "groomed" to see the Palmers as safe and stable and the Morgans as chaos and drama, when it's nowhere near as cut and dried as that: She got put through plenty of drama and chaos while living with the Palmers, while the Morgans seem to be doing a good job of putting aside their own problems to look after and support her whenever she needs it.But she's been so thoroughly conditioned that all it takes is one book being moved for her to start spouting the Palmers' words about chaos and no stability and reeling off a list of things she wasn't even there for.And Marilyn put the idea in her head with her unnecessary interference the previous week that as soon as there's the slightest problem Raffy should ditch her family and spend the night with her, so she quickly does that, with Marilyn continuing to drip feed her poison with cloying remarks about the peace and quiet at hers, when available evidence suggests it would have been just as quiet at home.

I've been trying to think about Roo's teaching but I don't think I paid much attention! I seem to remember she was teaching English during that silly "Stand in for a teacher despite not being remotely qualified" thing and possibly doing something similar early last year?

Anyway...today! And Jasmine is well and truly earning her halo at the moment.There wasn't a trace of conflict or self-interest in the way she wholeheartedly supported Tori here, taking her to hospital.Someone did need to tell Robbo and she was as best-placed as anyone.And she didn't hesitate to convince Tori to go and see Robbo at the end, knowing that this is something they both shared and she can't be part of it with them. While he didn't seem to achieve much, Mason showed his lovely side again.I'd like to think his behaviour over the last few episodes is a sign he's grown up but...It may help that his exam stress is over, but to be fair he did well trying to support Tori and Raffy in the middle of exams.

Colby continues to frustrate me deeply.For someone who's meant to be a police officer himself, he doesn't seem to have a clue how things work.He's expecting instant results and, ironically, badgering his colleagues in the way members of the public normally badger him.At least a chat with Jasmine convinced him to stop pushing Chelsea away.Ironic that, considering she was the first person in the Bay he told about Bella, Jasmine is well and truly out of the loop, even though Robbo seems to be in it!

Meanwhile, John's objections get overruled and Alf gets to keep the bait shop to himself.Ben did a good job selling it.The wavering committee member popped up in the previous season as the idiot who let Mick out (another one I came across by accident!).Going back a bit, I'm assuming that the surf club own the surf club so to speak, ie the actual club own the building that they operate out of.

9 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Going back to Justin saying to Leah about how it would be nice to have a 'normal'  girlfriend instead of one who was trouble is he forgetting he went out with and got engaged to Phoebe who wasn't exactly plain sailing?  Scarlett was on the surface  OK but she had a past, as in a husband who she was on the run from and a son who had died in tragic circumstances so another one who had baggage.  Scarlett of course went back with Caleb to give their marriage another go.

Oh, I imagine Justin is fully aware that he has a "type"...

Red, I guess we won't agree on whether Raffy is being brainwashed or not we just see it from different sides, but there is a lot more coming and going at the Morgan's than at the Palmers.  Btw what happened to the rota that was drawn up to look after Raffy?  No sign of her last night so I guess she is going to be on the list of people to be told about Tori's miscarriage which ought to be face to face and not over the phone. Being crowded with people, even family isn't something she needs right now. 

Oh yes Jasmine, she was really a great friend to Tori, trying to suggest it may not be what was obviously apparent but knowing as a midwife it was.  So devastating for both Tori and Robbo and his reaction was just what I would have expected from him, seemingly took it OK, but then we saw his face as he walked away.  No way was Jasmine overstepping the mark by telling him and again it had to be face to face, that's the kind of news you don't deliver over the phone. Mason probably thought he was emphasising with Tori when he mentioned Dempsey and her aborting their baby, but Tori was right it wasn't the same, but he was still a good brother by just being there.  Robbo's pushing Jasmine away was his way and although some may say she shouldn't have told Colby he does live with Robbo so at least he won't  put his foot in it by saying the wrong thing. It was his advice that  he would come to her when he was ready and that only someone who was going through the same thing would really understand spurred her to suggest Tori going to see him. That last scene was so moving, no words needed and the fact it was in the dark added to the mood.:cryingsmiley:  They will then have those that knew she was pregnant being sympathetic and either being all gushy or not knowing what to say and avoiding them. Leah has had two miscarriage so would understand.

Colby, in a way, was doing exactly what Tori did when she panicked about her cramps, as a doctor she knew it was likely to be the implanted working but as a new mum any medical expertise  went out of the window.  Ditto Colby pestering his work mates when as you said Red he's probably had years of placating folks asking him what progress has been made in an investigation into a missing person, assault, robbery etc.  stating the standard 'We are looking into it, it's still early days etc'  It's personal now so the cop head is off and the brother/son head is on and likely hoping as he's a cop and his dad was a cop they'd make more of an effort.  But as SG said the cops have twenty odd years of stuff to look through, going back over his dad's old cases to see if there was a link between them and Ross, they of course have the added incentive Ross is a cop killer!  Robbo got into the loop a while back and also because a couple of weeks ago Colby asked if he could get  Lance involved in the hunt for Ross.   Small point but dad doesn't seem to have a name yet.

Much needed bit of light relief with John, Alf and Ben and the great board shop in the Surf Club debate.  Quite a number of folk on it seemingly, even if we have never seen them before and not likely to for a good long while.  It was well argued for. John again brought up the 'fact' there would be hoards of River Boys invading the place.  Maybe splitting hairs but is Dean still a member of the RB's?  Liked how Ben and Alf stood up for him by saying he was working hard and doing a good job. Nice little dig by Alf  to John that he'd had more second chances than he'd had hot dinners.  Actually this incident could have done with Marilyn having words in John's ear, she would have been all for giving Ben a go at having the shop in the club I would have liked to have seen her persuading him to have a rethink.   :D'd at Ben turning John's "no hard feelings" remark back on him.

Justin does tend to go for ladies with a history, strange what types you can be drawn to.   Would he be able to handle 'normal'?:P:wink:

It was nice to see the Morgans all rallying around Tori...well, almost all of them, since Raffy was once again missing from family scenes with no explanation bar a throwaway reference to Justin going to pick her up.(I really hope they didn't use this as an excuse for her to stay one more night with John and Marilyn: Given even Marilyn had to leave the house to get away from John's ranting, that really would show the "peace and quiet" thing up to be a lie.)Justin has been coming into his own a lot lately with his family if not with his maybe-girlfriend and Mason was quietly supportive.Shame we didn't see a bit more of Leah supporting Tori but what we did get was good.There could be a potential conflict between Tori and Robbo coming up.Justin's visit to Robbo was a case of the tone undercutting the potentially harsh words.

Simone's still around and Ziggy's obviously not happy.It's probably not her fault that Brody's tied up, since it seems he'd have had no help at all without her, although Brody dismissing Ziggy's viewpoint wasn't helpful either.Did she lock them in deliberately?I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and say no for now.

Double post, where is everyone? I try not to do this but I need to rant.

I absolutely hated Marilyn in that opening scene. The way she pounced on any chance to undermine the Morgans, keeping Raffy away from her family. This whole situation is a joke and shows that Marilyn doesn’t give a damn about Raffy having stability, she just wants to play with her favourite toy as much as possible. There was absolutely no reason for Raffy to spend that first night with the Palmers, there was nothing going on at the Morgans’: Justin wasn’t even there, Brody lives in the garden, Mason’s finished his studying and Tori was left on her own eating ice cream. Raffy could have stayed there and eaten it with her but she abandoned her for someone with a mental age lower than her. Marilyn’s just a selfish witch who’s childish enough to make dragging a girl less than a third of her age away from her family for girlie sleepovers seem endearing rather than inappropriate like it is. When she asked Irene if she was being selfish, I was begging her to say “Yes” but no, everyone always panders to Marilyn, especially the old guard. It’s very telling that she seemingly spent all her time with Raffy making fun of John, then as soon as Raffy was at school, she fled the house rather than be alone with him. She’s like one of those women who has a child to prop up a relationship, except she can’t have one of her own so she takes someone else’s.

And worse than that, it’s making me hate Raffy as well by turning her into a spoiled brat, who tells a blatant lie so she can have a play date with an irritating child woman because she doesn’t want to support her sister after she’s had a miscarriage. She’s so thoroughly indoctrinated that she doesn’t even recognise the double standard of dubbing Justin coming home noisily “chaos” and John doing it “funny”. She’s becoming as selfish as Marilyn, viewing people in terms of what she can get from them and trying to make Coco feel bad about her opportunity because there’s nothing in it for her. When Ryder tells you you’re being a jerk, you know it’s bad. It’s like she and Coco have swapped personalities.

Brief word on Brody and Ziggy while I’m here: I can see both sides but neither’s covering themselves in glory. Ziggy needs to trust Brody and realise that if she does it doesn’t matter what Simone does, Brody needs to respect her instead of belittling her to Simone. He delivered her question in exactly the wrong way, making it sound like Ziggy had a problem and he knew Simone didn’t like him.

Archived