Daniel Amalm on his public hell in the spotlight

Mishyy

DANIEL Amalm was only 14 when he started on Home and Away as Jack Wilson, a mischievous kid who was bounced around the foster care system until arriving in Summer Bay. Amalm was thrown into an intense working schedule — 12 hours a day, five days a week — and immediately struggled to cope.

“I remember the whole gang being really warm and friendly,” he recalls, of his first day on set. “I guess I kinda must’ve looked like a deer caught in headlights.”

But despite the friendly nature of most of the cast, it was far from smooth sailing.

“I was pretty nervous, I think, and maybe overly prepared,” Amalm told news.com.au.

“I remember one of the first scenes I shot where Jack gets introduced to the Ross family, and — being totally untrained — I would look at the monitor screen each time between my lines and watch the shot. It really pissed off one of the actors — he actually uttered, ‘Where do they find these kids?’

“So I guess I was off to a flying start first day,” he jokes.

Things got worse, as he recounts a particularly disastrous day on set.

The glory days: TV personalities (bottom L) Daniel Amalm, Rhoda Roberts, Richard Morecroft, Raelee Hill and Rebecca Harris in 1994.

The glory days: TV personalities (bottom L) Daniel Amalm, Rhoda Roberts, Richard Morecroft, Raelee Hill and Rebecca Harris in 1994.Source:News Corp Australia

Daniel Amalm in 1994.

Daniel Amalm in 1994.Source:News Corp Australia

“[I remember a crew member] grabbing my folder of scripts from my hands and throwing it apart on set because I just couldn’t get my lines right. I think we had gone for over 20 takes on this damn scene, and I just couldn’t get it right.

“He was mad as hell, everyone was waiting for lunch break. Camera guys’ faces were seriously grim and someone in the crew said I’ll be ‘eating my lunch through a straw’. That was too much and I went totally blank and almost paralysed.

Amalm believes this was his first panic attack.

“They called for lunch,” he continues.

Amalm recalled that after everyone left the set, a senior figure came straight over to him, saying, “You got one hour to get this scene right now; don’t **** it up.”

Amalm added: “I was too tense to eat, so got some fresh air and just drilled the lines over and over. I nailed the scene in one take after that. They were pretty tough back then, compared to today [in] dealing with kids on set.”

He still gets nightmares about forgetting lines.

Amalm in ‘96.

Amalm in ‘96.Source:News Corp Australia

Ironically, the show placed Amlam with what he calls “a lovely foster family” in Sydney, as he was originally based in Brisbane. The stress of a high-pressure job, coupled with being 1000km away from his family and friends took its toll on the young actor.

“As a 14-year-old old kid I wasn’t aware that the pressure and stress could eventually affect me, and just threw myself in the deep end and found my own coping mechanisms along the way,” he recalls.

“I started eating a lot, and drinking a lot of coke and coffee.”

Thankfully after six months, his mother relocated to Sydney, relieving a lot of the pressure for Amalm. His favourite memory from his time on the show involves taking her for a behind-the-scenes tour of the set.

“She was so amazed to see how things were done there and to meet all the cast I work with,” he says.

“I remember her being all laughs and smiles — and very proud of her son.”

As he eased into the hectic workload, a different kind of pressure took ahold. Almost instantly, Amalm found he was unable to go anywhere without being recognised.

“The initial buzz of being recognised everywhere soon wore off and I realised I couldn’t hang out in some of the same places I used to casually stroll around in, if I didn’t want to get swarmed with attention, pictures, and autographs.

“I ended up hiding a lot of the time, spending a lot of time at home playing music on the weekends.”

He sought refuge in Anthony Mundine’s boxing gym, in Redfern.

“I was pretty keen on boxing and no one seemed to care so much about a Home and Away star there.”

Everywhere else it was a different situation.

Home and Away was arguably at its peak in popularity during the mid-’90s, and Amalm found himself overwhelmed by crowds of fans who came out to mob the cast at their frequent shopping mall appearances.

“There was a tonne of hype around the show back then and we were making these regular appearances at Westfield shopping towns where the kids — well, my age group back then — would be going absolutely nuts.

“They used to put a team of security guards around us to pass through the crowd, and I remember someone ripping off my jacket and stealing my cap. A few weeks later I received a new cap in the mail from the girl who took it. I remember thinking, ‘how sweet’, but at the same time being a little peeved that she didn’t send back the exact one.”

Later years: Daniel Amalm from the TV series 'Rescue Special Ops'.

Later years: Daniel Amalm from the TV series 'Rescue Special Ops'.Source:Supplied

It wasn’t all bad though, as Amalm recalls being sent a flood of basketball cards in the mail after offhandedly mentioning in a magazine interview that he collected them.

These days, Amalm works as a professional musician, based in Norway. His guitar skills were used frequently on the show — he even released a Top 30 single in 1996: a flamenco and hip hop fusion of ‘Classical Gas’ — so it was clear that music was always more than just a sideline for Amalm. In ‘97, another single emerged, Honey Dip, but failed on the charts topping the chart at #81 in Australia.

Despite being half a world away, he still occasionally gets recognised as Jack; a situation that has ramped up now that Norwegian TV has begun airing re-runs from his time on the show.

In fact, while answering this question, he was interrupted by his wife who had just dropped their daughter off at kindergarten and was asked by a teacher if he was onHome and Away during the ‘90s.

As they say, you can take the boy out of Summer Bay …

Channel Seven did not respond to news.com.au’s request for comment.

Source

26 minutes ago, jodlebirger said:

Rerun's of Daniel Anmalm's period on H&A... Hm, I can't find it anywhere, looked through all tv2's channels (the channel that airs H&A). 

Someone else from Norway knowing about this? Jacklost?

I was just about to comment on the exact same thing. I feel like I would definitely have known if any channel were currently airing reruns :huh: Not sure where the journalist got that from, but unfortunately I don't think it's true, they must have gotten something mixed up.

They must be getting mixed up with the fact that 7Two are showing repeats of this era in Australia.

I think it's a shame he had some horrible experiences on the show, and still has a recurring nightmare about that particular situation. It does sound horrible. But I'm sure he enjoyed a lot of it too. I've seen a lot of clips of him in outtakes (which are sadly no longer on youtube) and he looked like he was having a lot of fun.

I mean, we all have a hard time on our first days in a new job, and most of us have stuffed up big time at some point or another, whatever job we do.

I'm sure he has happy memories as well - he wouldn't have returned in 2000 if it was that bad!

On 18.9.2016 at 10:59 PM, beau_t said:

They must be getting mixed up with the fact that 7Two are showing repeats of this era in Australia.

That's probably it. Maybe he said "More people recognize me now that they've started airing the reruns", meaning the Australian repeats, and the journalist just assumed he meant Norway.

2 minutes ago, Therese K said:

That's probably it. Maybe he said "More people recognize me know that they've started airing the reruns", meaning the Australian repeats, and the journalist just assumed he meant Norway.

Yeah exactly.

The "eating a lot and drinking lots of coke and caffeine" explains his weight gain too which is noticeable on-screen. He certainly looks very fit now, so good on him.

46 minutes ago, beau_t said:

I think it's a shame he had some horrible experiences on the show, and still has a recurring nightmare about that particular situation. It does sound horrible. But I'm sure he enjoyed a lot of it too. I've seen a lot of clips of him in outtakes (which are sadly no longer on youtube) and he looked like he was having a lot of fun.

I mean, we all have a hard time on our first days in a new job, and most of us have stuffed up big time at some point or another, whatever job we do.

I'm sure he has happy memories as well - he wouldn't have returned in 2000 if it was that bad!

Yes it it sad that some actors have bad experiances yet as my grandfather told the family you take the good with the bad in any profession. as one star I admired once said "its not all sunglasses and Autographs" so true and not every actor is alike. From the people I talked to many are good and have no problems with what they have to deal with yet other actors get very devoted fans and sadly it ruins their love of working as I do know one aussie icon who left a hit show because she ";loathed having to deal with the fans even though the show wanted her to stay and other shows wanting her as well. I do not begrudge any actor for putting family before a series yet some have jealous mates and families who do like being mobbed with the star in public. One source comment to me " some people do not know the meaning of Personal space" and a bloke seen a H&A star chased though King Cross while on a date with a friend. There are fans who get carried away yet it also great some have positive encounters too. so I guess it depends on the person.

Archived