A Perfect Match

Guest Danni02

Thank you CharlieAndBraxLover, Spotd1, Sabrina and Sarah for the comments. :)

Sixty-one

Charlie put away the last of the groceries before looking up as the door to the apartment opened and Brax walked in, his surf board under his arm. He leaned it up against the back wall before looking at Charlie, who now had her back to him, putting the shopping bags back into the cupboard above the fridge, Charlie standing on her tiptoes to reach. Brax quickly walked over and pushed the bags into the cupboard, his hand brushing against Charlie’s. “That was a long surf,” Charlie mumbled. “Daniel and I had breakfast, I took him to school, went to Leah’s for about an hour 30 then did the shopping.” Charlie leaned back against the worktop as she folded her arms across her chest.

“Well I love surfing eh.” Brax mumbled.

“Surfing is dangerous,” Charlie exhaled. “Out in the ocean. You never know what the ocean is going to do. You could crash into rocks, smack your head off your own board....” Charlie trailed off.

“I’m a good surfer Charlie, so it’s a bit different.” Brax sighed.

“So I’m not a good cop?” Charlie questioned.

“I didn’t say that. I didn’t mean it that way, I....” Brax pursed his lips as he rubbed his forehead. “You are a good cop. A great one even,” Brax stepped forward and lightly rubbed her arm. “But part of my job as your boyfriend is to worry for your safety. And right now for little Pip’s safety too,” Brax rested his hand on her stomach and Charlie looked down, watching his hand. “I don’t want to ever have to deal with losing you and when you told me you were shot at, I....it really hit me that I might be without you one day,” Brax spoke quietly. Charlie pursed her lips as she looked back up to Brax. “I’m sorry for how I reacted,” Brax told her. “I know you are just doing your job and as hard as it is, I have to accept that sometimes you are going to be in difficult situations.”

Charlie gave a weak smile. “I know you just got angry because you care.”

“I do care. I care very very much,” Brax tucked her hair behind her ear. “And my anger got in the way of my manners,” Brax exhaled. “And I’m sorry that I didn’t ask you how you were,” Brax said. “It must have been a scary thing to go through.”

“I’ve been through worse,” Charlie murmured. “But I was scared and I came home expecting to get love and comfort from my boyfriend but instead I got yelled at and told I couldn’t do my job anymore,” Charlie said. “I....I’d just be shot at and you yelled at me.” Brax could see tears trying to spill out of Charlie’s eyes.

“I know and I’m sorry. I really am really sorry,” Brax wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a hug. Charlie responded and wrapped her arms around him. “You and Pip are way too precious to me and I only got so angry because I care so much,” Brax mumbled into her neck as his hands moved down her back and gently rubbed where she’d have been shot. “Does it hurt?”

“Not anymore,” Charlie shook her head. “I’ve got a bloody good bruise though.” Charlie laughed and Brax raised his eyebrows before Charlie turned and lifted her top up, letting Brax see the big shiny purple bruise on her back.

“Jeezo,” Brax gasped. “How come it’s bruised so much?”

“The shock vibrations from the vest.” Charlie told him.

“And it doesn’t hurt?” Brax ever so lightly traced his finger tips over the bruise.

“Nah,” Charlie answered. “It’s fine. Looks worse than it is.” Charlie pulled her shirt back down and looked up to her boyfriend.

He gave a smile as he rubbed her cheek. “How about I take you out for lunch?” Brax questioned. “Maybe we can even go shopping for little Pip?” Brax suggested.

“Hmmm,” Charlie gave a little nod. “Sounds good to me,” Charlie smiled as she wrapped her arms around Brax’s neck. “We’ll go in a minute.” Charlie whispered before placing a kiss on Brax’s lips, Brax smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen.

April knocked on the door of Bianca’s office before walking in. “Hey.” April walked over and sat down on the seat at the desk.

“Hey,” Bianca swallowed her mouthful. “Not having lunch with Rubes today?”

“Her and Dex are very couply today,” April sighed. “And Xav was hanging around. Trying to get me interested in him again, so...” April raised her eyebrow as she opened her tupperware box and took out her half eaten sandwich. “Why you not in the staff room?”

“Too much paperwork,” Bianca mumbled. “But I can take a break to talk to my little sis,” Bianca looked up from her paperwork. “What’s up?”

“Who said anything was up?” April replied.

“You’re face,” Bianca said. “And the fact it’s a gorgeous day out and you’ve came inside.”

“To keep my sister company,” April said. “But,” April bit her lip. “I guess...well I still haven’t talked to you about Xavier being around yesterday.”

“You think he genuinely wants to be in Finn’s life?” Bianca questioned. “Because I know Finn is still young but the last thing he needs is for Xav to be coming in and out of his life.”

“I know,” April said. “And to be honest I think he’s seen me out with James and doesn’t like the fact someone else has me now.” April sounded unsure as she spoke, of course only making an assumption.

“Well,” Bianca pursed her lips. “I’d be very wary of letting Liam into Kaya’s life. I know that he is her father but he abandoned us without care,” Bianca exhaled. “Just like Xav did with you and Finn.”

April bit her lip. “Maybe he feels it better late than never.” April gave a kind of shrug.

“It’s up to you if you want to let him be a part of Finn’s life,” Bianca told her sister. “But the timings of him coming to see you...” Bianca trailed off. “What do you feel, in here.” Bianca put her hand over her chest, where her heart would be.

April clicked her tongue. “I don’t really know.”

“Well don’t rush it,” Bianca told her. “It’s a big choice to make.”

“Maybe, I....” April paused. “I need to think about Finn here and not what I want. Finn probably needs his father, right?”

“Kaya seems to be doing just fine without her father,” Bianca observed. “And it seems like Finn could have James, who is far above Xavier, in my opinion.”

“Hmm,” April exhaled.”I....I guess you are right, I....I need to take my time and think about. I know that I don’t want to get back with him, that decision has been well and truly made but maybe Finn does deserve Xavier in his life as who am I to stop that from happening?”

“The teenager girl he left to deal with pregnancy and child birth on her own,” Bianca replied. April bit her lip, exhaling lightly, feeling Bianca didn’t think it was a good idea to now let Xavier into their son’s life. “It really is up to you April but right now Finn needs structure and routine. He doesn’t need to start being mucked around with.” Bianca told her and April gave a little nod, taking in what she was saying.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Spotd1, Sarah and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments.

Sixty-two

Charlie and Brax were waiting at the school gates for Daniel, standing hand in hand. “I wish you would have let me get that dress today,” Brax sighed. “It was so cute.”

“You won’t think that if we have a boy and don’t get to use it.” Charlie said.

“Well maybe the next one would be a girl.” Brax replied.

“I’m sorry the next one?” Charlie questioned. “Little Pip is probably the size of a peach right now and you are already planning another?” Charlie looked up to Brax, her eyebrows raising.

“You know I want like 6 kids.” Brax told her and Charlie’s eyes widened.

“The only way we’ll have six kids together is if you start carrying the babies.” Charlie said as she nudged Brax’s chest.

“Well science is getting pretty advance these days,” Brax laughed. “So, you never know eh.”

Charlie chuckled. “We’ll see how you cope with this one first eh?” Charlie said. “Night feeds, dirty nappies, teething, colic....” Charlie trailed off.

“Maybe you should be babysitting Finn tonight. Have a trial run.” Charlie laughed.

“I’ll take the little guy anytime.” Brax said, smiling as Daniel came running out of the school.

“Mummy! You are holding hands. Does this mean you’ve kissed and made up?” Daniel shrieked.

“We did buddy.” Brax grinned down at him and Daniel gave a little jump.

“Kiss again,” Daniel instructed. “I need to be sure,” Daniel said and Charlie and Brax glanced at each other before they softy kissed each other’s lips. “Oh it is true,” Daniel beamed as Charlie and Brax looked down to him, both of them laughing lightly. “We need to go celebrate.” Daniel shrieked.

“Me and your mum are going to celebrate tonight.” Brax mumbled and Charlie slapped his chest.

“What did you say?” Daniel scrunched his face up a little as he stared up at Brax.

“He asked what you wanted to do to celebrate.” Charlie said.

“Oh,” Daniel scratched the side of his head. “Uhm, go to the park,” Daniel grinned. “Can we daddy, please?”

Brax gasped as he heard the word ‘daddy’ spilling from Daniel’s lips for the first time. His heart started beating faster as he saw Charlie staring at him, a smile on her face as saw the look on Brax’s. “We sure can, son.” Brax smiled as he lifted Daniel up and placed him on his shoulders and started walking towards the park.

“Okay so all the bottles are in the fridge,” April said, as she held her son in her arms. “He’ll need one in like 10 minutes then one again at 10 before he’s put down to bed. He’ll need a bath tonight but he really hates bath time so you need to distract him with talking and faces and toys and stuff,” April exhaled. “And he’s too little for the bath tub so put him in his baby tub. It’s under the cot in my room,” April glanced at her bedroom before looking back to Ruby and Dex. “Oh and -”

“April,” Ruby stifled a laugh. “We’ve been here with you doing all this. We know what to do. He’ll be fine,” April pursed her lips as she looked down to her son. “And Bianca probably won’t be that late home anyways.” Ruby assured her.

“Yeah mummy will no be late.” Kaya looked up from the coffee table where she was colouring a picture.

April took a deep breath. “No she probably won’t be.” April murmured, Bianca being out at an event to help fund raise for the school.

“Nope,” Dex said. “So out you go on your date with Jamesy boy and we will look after Finnster just fine,” Dex held his hands out to take Finn but April wasn’t about to hand her son over. “Right Kaya, you’ll help us, right?”

“No,” Kaya shook her head. “I’m just doing pictures for mummy.” Kaya continued to colour, not looking up as she spoke.

“You are going to be late,” Ruby told her. “Honestly, we are his godparents; you can’t trust us with him.” Ruby said.

“Right yes,” April nodded her head. “I’m going.” April picked up her bag from the couch before walking over to the door, pulling it open. She a few steps out onto the path before hearing Ruby’s voice. She turned around as she looked down, Finn still being in her arms.

“Might want to leave him,” Ruby said, holding her hands out. April looked down to her son and placed a soft kiss on his forehead before passing him to her friend. “He’ll be fine with us. Have a good night with James.” Ruby smiled before walking back into the house, April taking a deep breath before turning and walking away from the house, feeling excited at the thought of seeing James.

“Daniel,” Charlie pulled the glass away from him, the straw being pulled from his mouth. “Don’t blow bubbles in your drink.”

Daniel furrowed his eyebrows at his mother. “Daddy.” Daniel frowned at Brax and Brax grinned again upon hearing the word.

Charlie glared at him and Brax quickly removed the smile from his face. “Nah buddy sorry mummy is right, don’t blow bubbles with your drink.”

“It helped me think.” Daniel said, resting his elbows on the table and resting his head on his hands.

“Don’t put your elbows on the table either,” Charlie said and Daniel sighed as he took them off the table. “What were you thinking about buddy?”

“A name for my sister.” Daniel told him, reaching across the table for his drink and putting the straw back in his mouth taking a drink.

“So you sharing the name?” Brax gave a little laugh before taking a drink of his beer. Charlie, Brax and Daniel were at Angelo’s for dinner, Daniel insisting their afternoon at the park wasn’t enough celebrating Charlie and Brax’s make-up.

“Elsa,” Daniel smiled. “Like the girl in Frozen.”

“Daddy likes Tabitha and Matilda,” Brax told him and Daniel scrunched his face up. “You don’t?” Brax laughed.

“I like Matilda,” Daniel answered. “But Tabitha is stupid,” Daniel gave a little giggle and Charlie bit her lip to stop herself laughing. “What do you like mummy?”

“Uhm,” Charlie pursed her lips. “I’m assuming like daddy you are only going to talk girl names, so, for a girl I like Imogen.” Charlie said, glancing at Brax and then Daniel, looking for a reaction to the name.

“It’s cute actually,” Brax said. “Imogen Braxton. Yeah, it works.”

“Is she no be Buckton?” Daniel questioned. “Like me and mummy and Ruby?”

“Uhm, well I’m her daddy so she’ll take my name.” Brax said before looking at Charlie questioningly.

“But Buckton can’t be all our daddy’s name,” Daniel said. “Who’s is it, mummy?”

“It’s my dad’s last name,” Charlie said. “And I wanted you and Ruby to have the same last name as me so you two are Buckton like me.” Charlie explained.

“So will the baby be Buckton like us too?” Daniel wondered.

“Uhm,” Charlie pursed her lips as she looked to Brax before looking back to her son. “We haven’t really talked about that yet,” Charlie said, pursing her lips. She knew with Brax planning to propose she would become a Braxton like Brax and the baby, but wasn’t sure what that would mean for Ruby and Daniel, of course wanting all her family to have the same name. “We’ll need to settle on a first name first,” Charlie said. “We’ll sort out the rest in time.”

“I want to be the same name as all of you,” Daniel said. “As mummy and daddy and Ruby and the baby,” Daniel exhaled. “We can be the same, huh?”

“We’ll see buddy.” Brax said before looking to Charlie who seemed distracted, looking to a customer who was collecting a to go pizza from the bar. “Charlie,” Brax said. “Charlie....Charlie.” Brax nudged her arm.

“What, sorry.” Charlie shook her head, picking up the menu and covered her face as they walked past the table.

“What you doing?” Brax questioned. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah,” Charlie put the menu down and took a deep breath. “I thought I saw someone.”

“So you hid?” Brax laughed a little.

Charlie cleared her throat. “Let’s chose what we want to eat huh?” Charlie said, looking down to Daniel. “You’ll want a pizza, right?” Charlie questioned and Daniel nodded his head as Charlie looked back to the menu, deciding what she wanted.

Thank you all for the comments. :)

Sixty-three

April and James walked hand in hand into the sushi restaurant. They sat down at the booth table, April taking her phone from the bag and glancing at the screen, smiling at the picture of her baby son. “You okay?” James wondered.

“Yeah,” April stared at the picture for a moment longer before putting the phone back in her bag. “Just checking Rubes hadn’t tried to call.”

“You know you could have brought him tonight,” James said. “Little dude is always welcome.”

“I know but we need to have some alone time dates,” April told him. “It’s just the first time I’ve left him,” April pursed her lips. “Well obviously he’s at day care when I’m in school and I’ve left him with Bianca, but I mean with Rubes and Dex.”

“Well I am sure they are good people if they are friends with you,” James said. “But if you want to phone Ruby then you can.” James told her, April biting her bottom lip like she was considering it.

“Ugh,” April shook her head. “No. I won’t. At least not so soon,” April licked her top lip. “Maybe after sushi.” April glanced down at the menu before looking back to James.

“Okay,” James said. “How about we steer the conversation away from little dude for right now then?” James suggested. “Talk about getting you out in the surf huh?”

“No way,” April shook her head. “I cannot go out in the surf. What if something happened and I couldn’t be there for Finn?”

“I would be there to make sure you were safe,” James told her. “And I thought we weren’t talking about the little dude?” James smirked.

April stifled a laugh. “Well you’d have to keep me really safe because I have the most precious little guy at home who needs me.”

“And we’re still talking about little dude,” James laughed. “But you don’t need to worry; I’d keep you very safe.”

“I’m sure you would,” April looked into his eyes and smiled at him, James also glancing into April’s eyes. “But I think I’ll need a lot more persuading before I go out into the surf.”

James chuckled. “I’m sure I’ll can persuade you,” James said. “I love surfing so would love to share that with you.”

“Well I’ll give it a go. I mean you have accepted Finn and will probably end up coming to play centres and baby orientated events,” April said. “Do some more adult orientated things.”

“As long as we hang out I don’t mind what we do.” James said, leaning his hand over the table and rubbing April’s.

“Well that’s sweet but we need to find balance.” April answered.

“Okay so you tell me something you are into and we can do that together,” James smiled. “After we have surfed of course.” James grinned cheekily.

“Uhm, I dunno,” April shrugged, feeling put on the spot. “I just like chilling.”

“Chilling,” James gave a nod. “We can chill.”

“Look at us sorting out our next date and we’ve hardly got through this one.” April laughed.

“Well it must just mean we are going to be a good match, huh?” James gave her a wink as April smiled before they both looked at the menu, seeing a waiter on their way to the table to take their order, so they thought they probably chose what they wanted to eat.

“So this one is Bumblebee,” Dex waved the yellow transformer in front of Finn’s face. “He’s one of the smallest transformers but he’s very brave,” Dex started transforming the robot into the car. “See, these are cool, huh Finnster?” Dex put the transformed robot on the side table and picked up the next one. “And this one is -”

“This isn’t really the type of bedtime story April would expect us to tell him.” Ruby said, looking down into the cot to Finn who was staring up at Dex and Ruby, showing no signs of falling asleep, despite being bathed, fed and put down for the night.

“Well I think he looks very interested,” Dex exhaled. “Transformers are cool so I don’t see why he wouldn’t be.”

“I can’t actually believe you brought them with you,” Ruby rolled her eyes as she looked to Dex. “You are seventeen now, not seven.”

“This is why you love me,” Dex grinned at her. “My boyishness.”

Ruby gave a little laugh. “I’m not sure I love you because you play with transformers but I do love you.” Ruby said, wrapping her arms around his neck as softly kissing his lips.

“I love you too.” Dex whispered before they kissed again, this one becoming a little more passionate. Dex’s hand slipping down her back and cupping her bum cheek.

Ruby cleared her throat as she pulled back. “Not in front of the little one,” Ruby said, leaning her head against Dex’s chest as she looked into the cot, Finn staring up at them with his big brown eyes all wide. “Hmm bub you are supposed to be sleeping,” Ruby said and Finn babbled in response, kicking his legs out, resulting in his little blanket moving slightly. Dex gave a little laugh as he straightened up the blanket. “Aww he is a little cutie though isn’t he?”

“Yeah,” Dex replied. “Kinda makes you clucky, huh?” Dex wrapped his arm around Ruby’s waist.

“Mmmm,” Ruby nodded. “But we are bit young.”

“Are we?” Dex questioned. “April is doing it.”

Ruby looked up to Dex, seeing by the look on his face he was being serious. “Baby,” Ruby shook her head. “We are not having a baby for like....10 years at least.” Ruby raised her eyebrows.

“I think Finn would love a play mate.” Dex said.

“Well he has Poppy and mum and Brax’s baby,” Ruby answered. “You can’t be being serious right now?” Ruby wondered, hoping Dex was only joking around with her.

“I think we could do it.” Dex said and Ruby shook her head before looking to Finn, who’s eyes were tiring a little and hoped that he would soon drift off to sleep and trying to decide if Dex was being serious or not.

Brax lifted Charlie up, Charlie wrapping her legs around his waist as he stepped forward; Charlie’s back hitting the bedroom wall. Brax grunted hungrily as the kissing intensified, their tongues darting around each other’s mouths. Brax ran his hands up Charlie’s sides, her top already been discarded on the floor, alongside Brax’s pants and shirt. “Mmm,” Charlie pulled her head to the side, Brax taking the opportunity to softly kiss her neck. “No...no, don’t,” Charlie murmured. “Please stop. Stop, please.” Charlie yelled as she pushed on Brax, her legs unwrapping from him and hitting the ground.

“Babe.” Brax put his hand on her shoulder but Charlie shrugged away.

“No no,” Charlie beat on Brax’s chest. “Get off, get away from me.” Charlie sounded erratic as her voice raised.

“Charlie,” Brax sounded worried. “Baby it’s me. It’s Brax.” Brax tentatively put his hand on her shoulder gain.

“Brax,” Charlie sounded relieved as she looked up to him. “You’re just Brax.” Charlie put her hand onto her chest, feeling her heart beating ten to the dozen.

“Yeah it’s just me,” Brax spoke softly. “What’s wrong baby?”

“I uhm,” Charlie closed her eyes as she slid down, sitting on the floor, leaning back against the wall. Brax sat down next to her, his hand gently rubbing her knee. “I thought I saw him. When I was distracted in the restaurant. I thought I saw....Ruby and Daniel’s fa....the man who...” Charlie spoke quietly. “And I just couldn’t get him out of my mind.”

“He’s in jail,” Brax screwed his face up. “Baby it wouldn’t have been him. It would just be your mind playing tricks on you.”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “He looks the very same. It was him. He’s gotten out of jail and he’s back and he can’t hurt me again, he can’t,” Charlie’s head continued to shake, more vigorously now. “He’ll see the kids and he can’t know about them. He’s not....he’s not going near them, Brax, he’s not and -”

“Hey hey, just take a deep breath,” Brax spoke softly as he wrapped his arm around Charlie, Charlie leaning in and resting her head against his shoulder. She took a deep breath as Brax rubbed her arms ever so lightly. “If it was him there’s no way he’s going to get near you to hurt you again. You don’t worry about that.” Brax told her, Charlie taking more deep breaths as Brax continued to comfort her.

Thank you CharlieAndBraxLover, Sarah, Spotd1 and Sabrina for the comments. :)

Sixty-four

Kaya was standing in front of Charlie, staring at her tiny little bump. “You alright there, Kaya?” Charlie questioned from sitting in the sand, Bianca, Leah, herself and the kids being at the beach for the morning.

“You not having my mummy’s baby is you?” Kaya wondered.

“Don’t be silly,” Daniel giggled at her. “She’s my mummy. It’s her baby and my sister.”

“What Daniel said sweetie,” Charlie stifled a laugh. “This baby is mines and Brax’s, not your mums.”

“Good,” Kaya grinned. “She no need a baby. She just need me and only me.” Kaya hit her chest before running off after Daniel and VJ who had already started running down the sand with a ball.

“Oh God she is a spoilt brat, isn’t she?” Bianca murmured as she watched her daughter trying to get the ball from VJ and Daniel, the boys turning the game into piggy in the middle.

“I wouldn’t say she’s spoilt,” Leah answered. “She just....uhm....” Leah pursed her lips while searching for the right word to use. “Likes it being just mummy and her,” Leah gave a little smile, liking what she came up with. “Veej was pretty unsure of Pops for a few weeks but now he loves her to death,” Leah said, glancing at Poppy who was squashing clumps of sand in her little fists. “How’s Daniel liking the idea of a new baby?”

“He’s excited,” Charlie answered, running her hand over her bump. “Although Brax has got him convinced it’s a girl. I just hope he’s not too disappointed if he gets a brother.”

“If there is any disappointment it’ll ware of quick,” Leah told her. “Veej would rather have had a brother but like I say, he thinks the world of her now.” Leah said once again watching Poppy. Poppy saw everyone was staring at her and she pulled a big grin before crawling over and pushing herself up onto her mother’s knee. Leah wrapped her arms around her daughter, placing a soft kiss on her head.

“Do you mind what you have?” Bianca questioned.

“Not at all,” Charlie shook her head. “I have one of each already so I’ll be happy with whatever,” Charlie rubbed her stomach as she spoke. “But Brax is really hoping for a girl so I kinda hope for him it’s a girl.”

“Aww I can imagine Brax with a daughter,” Bianca cooed. “She’d be the apple of his eye. Have him wrapped round her little finger.” Bianca laughed.

“He’s already like that with Daniel so God only knows what he’ll be like with a biological child.” Charlie said watching as the boys continued to keep the ball away from Kaya, Kaya looking like she was fast getting frustrated that she couldn’t get the ball.

“I don’t think biology matters to Brax,” Leah said. “He loves that little boy like he is his own and Rubes too.”

“I know he does, but when this one is born and he experiences that first time father rush, I....I know it’ll be different for him,” Charlie said as she continued to rub her little bump. “I’m not saying he is going to love Daniel and Ruby any less but having one of his own will be.....different.” Charlie gave a little shrug.

“I know what you are saying,” Leah exhaled. “Or trying to say. I had the same feeling with Miles with Veej and Poppy after she was born.”

“Speaking of Brax I need to go meet him,” Charlie said as she stood up and wiped down the sand from the back of her skirt. “Daniel,” Charlie shouted down to her son and dropped the ball, much to Kaya’s delight who picked it up and stuck her tongue out at VJ who ran forward, Kaya squealing as she ran away from him. Daniel ran up to Charlie, who bent down to his level. “Mummy is off to meet daddy,” Charlie told him.

“You been good for Bianca and Leah and then Ruby tonight, yeah?”

“Uh-huh,” Daniel nodded. “Uhm, you have a good day with daddy and uhm...uhm....” Daniel glanced at Leah and Bianca before looking back to his mother. He’s stood on his tippy toes and whispered into her ear. “Don’t let him know you know what he’ll do today.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “I won’t,” Charlie ruffled his hair before wrapping her arms around him in a hug and kissing the side of his head. “Right, off you go to play again.” Charlie said and Daniel started running back down the beach.

“Mummy,” Daniel stopped running and turned to look at his mother again. “Remember you be surprised.” Daniel shouted.

“I will.” Charlie said before looking to Leah and Bianca.

“What’s that all about?” Leah questioned.

“I’ll see you later.” Charlie gave a little grin as her eyebrows raised before she walked off the beach, very excited for her date with Brax.

April settled Finn in the cot, Finn fast asleep. She stroked his forehead a few times before looking up as the doorbell rang. She glanced at her son for a few more seconds, before walking through the house and opening the front door, smiling as she saw James standing there. “Hey,” April grinned. “This is a surprise.” April and James hadn’t arranged to see each other, so seeing him at her door was a surprise.

“A nice one I hope?” James laughed.

“Of course,” April smiled as she stood on her tiptoes and shared a kiss with James. “Come in,” April pulled him into the house before looking at what was in his hands. “What’s this?”

“Grandma said sitting in front of the TV with DVD’s, ice-cream and cans of pop constitutes as chilling,” James gave a little laugh before looking to the kitchen table, seeing it was full of text’s books. “You busy?”

“I was about to revise as I’ve just put Finn down for a nap.” April pursed her lips.

“On a Saturday?” James screwed his face up a little.

“My first exam is on Monday,” April exhaled. “I need to do well in these. I need to prove to the people who said I couldn’t cope with a baby and school that they were wrong.”

“Who said that?” James wondered.

“Other students. Some teachers thought it best I left school,” April sighed. “So I...I need to do well. I want to prove that single teenage mums can still be smart.”

“Fair enough,” James put the things down on the coffee table before walking over to the kitchen table, looking down to the books. “I was never the smartest kid in school but these books have answers, right?” James wondered and April gave a little laugh as she nodded her head. “Well I can easily work an answers guide.” James said and once again April laughed. She walked over to the table and sat down next to James.

“You sure you want to spend your Saturday revising with me?” April questioned.

“There’s no place I’d rather be.” James whispered before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on April’s lips. April leaned into the kiss, letting it deepen a little.

“Mmm,” April pulled back. “Biology will have to wait. English comes first.” April said pulling the book closer to her as James laughed, looking at her side on, smiling at her captivating beauty.

Thanks CharlieAndBraxLover, Sarah and Spotd1 for the comments. :)

Sixty-five

Ruby handed Dex the bottle of juice, Dex and Ruby taking a break from revision. “Thanks,” Dex put the bottle down on the coffee table before turning to face his girlfriend. “So, about last night,” Dex took her hands into his and rubbed them gently. “Have you thought more about it?”

Ruby stared at Dex for a moment, before pulling her hands away. “Dex,” Ruby exhaled. “You can’t be being serious.”

“Why not?” Dex sighed. “We are in love, we are committed, we can.....we can be a lovely little family.” Dex gave a hopeful smile.

“Yeah we can in like 10 years time when we have jobs and a place of our own and money behind us,” Ruby sighed. “Babe, I love you and I want to have a family with you but seriously, right now is no way the right time. We’re only seventeen, we are in school. My mum is still having babies.” Ruby’s voice raised a little.

Dex bowed his head a little. “Is it because you don’t think I’ll be a good dad?”

“I think you’ll be a great dad,” Ruby answered. “You are great with Finn.”

Dex gave a weak smile. “So then why can’t we do this? I have kids’ toys and everything.” Dex mumbled.

“Exactly,” Ruby raised her voice as she stood up from the couch. “You still play with kids’ toys. How the hell can you think you are mature enough to have a baby?” Ruby stared down at Dex. “Ah just....go home Dex.” Ruby said as she pointed to the door.

“What why?” Dex wondered as he stood up. “I -”

“Because you are being an idiot and I want you to leave me alone.” Ruby said. Dex sighed as he stood up from the couch. He looked over to the table and walked over, picking up his books before glancing back at Ruby who was standing watching him with her lips pursed. He exhaled lightly before walking over to the door and leaving as requested.

Brax took Charlie’s hand and led her down the stairs of the yacht and onto the sand. He’d hired a boat and they’d been sailed out to a small island that looked gorgeous. The sand was white, the waters around were a gorgeous turquoise blue and the palm trees lined the beach. They walked along for a few minutes before Brax put the picnic basket down on the sand. He dropped Charlie’s hand as he opened the basket and took out the blanket laying it down on the sand before he and Charlie took a seat, the pair staying silent for a moment, just looking out to the ocean. “It’s gorgeous out here.” Charlie spoke quietly as she rested her head on his shoulder.

“Lucky for me I have two gorgeous things to look at,” Brax grinned down at Charlie, lightly cupping her cheek with his hand. “And pretty soon my gorgeous baby girl.” Brax put his other hand on Charlie’s bump.

“6 more months,” Charlie told him. “It’s not that soon and I’m sorry to say I’ll probably turn into a right moody cow the more pregnant I get,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “Bianca and Leah were scared to breath around me when I was expecting Daniel.”

Brax laughed nervously. “Well you are putting yourself though a lot for our lovely little bundle so I’ll put up with it. It won’t be as bad as what you need to go through.” Brax said and Charlie gave him a smile.

“Just the right thing to say, Mr Braxton,” Charlie grinned. “Especially because this was your fault.” Charlie said, hitting Brax’s hand that was still on her stomach.

“Pretty sure it takes two to do the dance without the pants.” Brax said and Charlie gave a little laugh.

“Maybe, but I am still blaming you for not covering your junk.” Charlie murmured.

“Covering my junk?” Brax laughed and Charlie laughed along with him as she nodded. “And blaming me? So is she a bad thing to have happened?”

“Not a bad thing,” Charlie shook her head. “Just very much a surprise.”

“Well we would have kids one day anyways right?” Brax questioned. “So an earlier than planned addition she may be but still an addition that would come anyways,” Brax said and Charlie gave a little nod. “And I can’t wait,” Brax grinned. “Expanding our family. Raising our baby together,” Brax exhaled. “You’ve made me the happiest I’ve ever been.”

Charlie licked her lip, sensing Brax was about to pop the question. She felt her heart beating faster and a smile etching on her face. “Well you’ve made me pretty damn happy too,” Charlie smiled. “I uhm...well you know I struggle when it comes to trust with guys but you uhm....” Charlie paused. “You’re just the best.” Charlie smiled and Brax grinned before he winked. He leaned down and placed a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips, Charlie responding, letting it deepen a little.

“Mmm,” Brax pulled back, his hand already reaching into the basket. “Look Charlie, I....” Brax pursed his lips. “I could sweeten this up, get all lovey dovey and sentimental but at the end of the day I think the best thing is to just come out with it. Keep it simple,” Brax smiled before taking a deep breath. “So, in saying that, I can think of nothing better than to spend the rest of my life with you and our kids,” Brax gave her a grin, Charlie feeling her heart skip a beat as she saw his cute little dimples. “Charlotte Buckton, will you marry me?” Brax questioned, opening the ring box and displaying the white gold ring set with a round diamond in the middle. Charlie gasped as she saw the beauty of the cut, the glint of the diamond off the sun.

“Yes,” Charlie answered, feeling her eyes stinging with tears of joy. “Yes. Yes. Yes.” Charlie grinned and Brax gave her a wide mouthed grin as he put the ring on her finger before they met in a kiss.

Ruby put the plates on the table, Daniel staring down to the fish fingers, chips and veggies. “Fish fingers,” Daniel beamed as he looked up to his sister. “Thems my favourite thing to eat.”

“I know.” Ruby brought the apple juices over before sitting down at the table with her brother.

“How do you know that?” Daniel gasped.

“Because I am your big sister,” Ruby laughed. “It’s my job to know these things,” Ruby said before taking a drink of her juice. “You’ll want ketchup, right?” Ruby stood back up and walked over to the cupboard and taking out the ketchup and taking it back to the table.

“Thank you.” Daniel picked the ketchup up, squeezing it all over his chips and fish fingers before going to the veggies.

“That’s enough.” Ruby pulled the bottle from Daniel’s grasp and Daniel furrowed his eyebrows at her before picking up his fork.

“Ruby where is Dexter?” Daniel questioned.

“He went home.” Ruby cleared her throat.

“But mummy said that you and Dexter would be here tonight to play with me and he’s not.” Daniel sighed. He always liked it when Dex was around, Dex enjoying playing with Daniel.

“Yeah well he’s not, okay?” Ruby raised her voice a little and Daniel jumped in fright. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Is you and Dexter been fighting?” Daniel wondered. Ruby looked down as she pursed her lips, moving her veggies around her plate with her fork. “I wanted him to play. He’s fun.”

“We don’t need Dex to have fun,” Ruby said, ignoring the previous question, thinking her six year old brother didn’t need to know about their fighting. “After dinner we are playing hungry hippos then we are watching Frozen then its bath time with your flash bath boys then a story before bed.”

“Wow that is a fun night,” Daniel grinned, Ruby noticing he had tomato ketchup all over his face. “Will mummy and daddy be home to watch Frozen too?”

“Nah,” Ruby shook her head. “You probably won’t see them till morning.”

“Oh,” Daniel pouted sadly. “Mummy will say yes to marrying daddy, wont she?”

“Of course,” Ruby answered. “She loves Brax very much and they are going to have the baby. We’ll be a great little family.”

Daniel grinned. “I hope I get a sister called Elsa.”

“Elsa?” Ruby questioned. “Like the girl from Frozen?”

“Yeah,” Daniel nodded his head. “Maybe she’ll get snow powers like Elsa too.” Daniel’s eyes lit up at the idea and Ruby gave a little laugh.

“I don’t think so bud,” Ruby said. “But I think they should call the baby Mia,” Ruby smiled. “What do you think of that one?”

“Hmmm,” Daniel scratched the side of his head. “It’s nice. I like it too.”

“Well we’ll see what mum and Brax think about the name huh?” Ruby said and Daniel nodded as they continued to eat their dinner.

Daniel gave a little nod. “Why do you still call him Brax? He’s daddy now cos he’s here not like our real daddy.”

Ruby pursed her lips. “I’m a lot older than you bud,” Ruby exhaled. “And I’ve never really called anyone dad before so I....” Ruby gave a little shrug. “I don’t need a dad.”

“Ruby,” Daniel gasped. “You do need a daddy, everyone needs a daddy,” Daniel told her. “Brax wants to be our daddy.”

“I know,” Ruby gave a little smile. “And I know Brax will be there for me if I need him but....” Ruby trailed off, shaking her head and Daniel bowed his head a little, looking disappointed. “Hey bud, don’t be sad.” Ruby lightly rubbed his arm.

“I just want us all to be a happy family.” Daniel spoke sadly.

“We are going to be a family,” Ruby assured him. “Whether I call Brax dad or not, we are still a family, okay, I promise you that.”

“Yeah?” Daniel looked hopefully.

“Uh-huh,” Ruby nodded. “Now let’s finish this and we can have some ice-cream for dessert,” Ruby told him. “I’ll even let you eat the ice-cream in front of the TV.” Ruby said and Daniel grinned before he started to eat his dinner more quickly.

Thank you CharlieAndBraxLover, Sarah and Spotd1 for the comments.

Sixty-six

James looked across the table to Kaya who was staring at him, James feeling like she hadn’t blinked for at least 5 minutes. He nudged April’s arm and she glanced over at her niece and stifled a laugh as her hand went onto James’ knee. “She’s kinda freaking me out.” James whispered.

“Kaya it’s rude to stare at people.” April said and Kaya frowned but kept her face on James.

Bianca looked down to her daughter and laughed a little. “Eat your dinner and stop staring.” Bianca ran her hand through Kaya’s hair.

“Who is he?” Kaya wondered.

“We told you,” Bianca answered. “He’s April’s.....friend.” Bianca glanced from April to James as she spoke before looking back to Kaya.

“Why does she have a friend for dinner and me not?” Kaya held her hands out to the side and Bianca bit her lip, trying not to laugh at the four-year-olds facial expression.

“You can have a friend for dinner tomorrow if you want.” Bianca told her.

“I’ll have Daniel,” Kaya grinned. “He gonna be my boyfriend.” Kaya said before going red in the face as the adults giggled. She hid into her mother and Bianca pursed her lips to stop more laughter as she rubbed Kaya’s back.

“Well I’ll ask Charlie if Daniel can come over to play tomorrow.” Bianca told her daughter.

“And stay for dinner.” Kaya told her.

“Yes,” Bianca nodded. “Dinner too.” Bianca shook her head in amusement at her daughter before taking a drink of her water.

“So what do you like playing?” James questioned, smiling down at Kaya.

Kaya glanced back at him, scratching the side of her head. “Dolly’s,” Kaya said. “I like Dolly’s and singing to Katy Perry,” Kaya told him. “And dancing. I do ballet.”

“Ah wow,” James gasped. “Ballet. And do you wear a pink tutu?”

“It’s purple,” Kaya told him. “Not pink one,” Kaya shook her head. “I will dance soon on the....uhm....” Kaya scratched her head again. “The stage.”

“She has a dance recital coming up.” Bianca told him, running her hand over Kaya’s hair.

“Ah wow,” James widened his eyes and April watched him talking with Kaya, a smile on her face. He just seemed such a natural with kids. “You’ll have to show me your dance later huh?”

“No no,” Kaya shook her head. “You come to my dance and will see it, okay?”

“He doesn’t want to come to some kiddies dance recital.” April exhaled taking another mouthful of her pasta.

Kaya frowned at her Auntie. “You is coming.”

“Yes I am coming but it doesn’t mean James will.” April told her.

“But he is your friend,” Kaya sighed. “You want to come huh?” Kaya said, once again staring at the young man.

“Uhm, we’ll see.” James told her and Kaya grinned before she took a drink of her juice.

“See April he said we’ll see that means he will come.” Kaya stuck her tongue out at April and the adults all laughed at her, Kaya once again going red and hiding against her mother.

After their day out on the boat, a meal at a restaurant in Reefton Lakes and a moonlit stroll across the beach, Charlie and Brax decided to call it night and went back to their apartment. Brax headed straight to the bedroom as Charlie went further down the hall to check on Daniel. Brax opened the bottom drawer to his bedside table and took out the box of rose petals and scattered them over the bed. He took out a couple of candles and placed them on the bedside table, reaching back into the drawer and bringing out the box of matches. He’s struck one against the box before lighting the candles and running over to the door of the room, flicking the light switch off. “Oooh Mr Braxton,” Charlie said, walking into the room. “Are you expecting something to happen tonight?” Charlie raised her eyebrows as she wrapped her arms around his neck and placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“Maybe,” Brax mumbled. “Is Daniel okay?”

“Sound,” Charlie whispered before kissing him again, Brax wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her close, their bodies pressing together. “Mmm,” Charlie moaned into the kiss as Brax’s hands slide down her back and cupped her bum cheeks. Charlie closed her eyes tighter before pulling back, her lips pursing as she looked down. “I’m sorry.” Charlie mumbled.

“What’s wrong?” Brax questioned, rubbing her cheek and pulling her head back up to face him.

“I saw his face again,” Charlie spoke quietly. “I’m sorry but I don’t want too. I can’t....I can’t get him out of my mind and I don’t want to celebrate our engagement with him on my mind. It would be like I was sleeping with.....” Charlie stopped talking, once again looking away from Brax.

Brax exhaled lightly. “It’s alright babe,” Brax nudged her arm. “We have the rest of our lives to celebrate,” Brax smiled once again turned her head back to face him. “You just work through getting him from your mind.”

“I can’t,” Charlie shook her head, sounding like she was going to cry. “You know about my dreams, you know how hard it is for me when I have them and they are just dreams. Now he is in town I....” Charlie’s breathing got heavier. “I’m never going to get away from him.”

“Charlie, I...” Brax pursed him lips. “I don’t think he’s here. He’s still got almost 4 years jail time left.” Brax spoke softly as he rubbed the back of her head.

“I saw him,” Charlie raised her voice, sounding annoyed that Brax didn’t believe her. “Why won’t you believe me?”

“Because....” Brax paused for a moment. “Look,” Brax exhaled. “It’s been a long time since you’ve seen him. You might be remembering him -”

“I know that face,” Charlie raised her voice. “I’ve had that smug, evil looking face staring down at me as he raped me,” Charlie let a tear escape her eye. “Twice,” Charlie squeaked. “I’m not going to mistake someone else for him. I’m not.” Charlie moved back from Brax, feeling extremely let down by him.

Brax bowed his head down, feeling mad with himself. “I’m sorry. I do believe you.” Brax stepped forward and took Charlie’s hand’s in his, rubbing them with his thumbs.

“You obviously don’t.” Charlie pulled her hands away as she sniffed back.

“No, I...” Brax exhaled. “If you say you saw him then you saw him,” Brax said. “Surely....I mean you are a cop so there’s way’s you can find out if he’s out, right?” Brax questioned and Charlie gave a kind of half nod. “Charlie I am not going to let him near you,” Brax told her as he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close. “You and those kids, I...it’s my job to protect all of you. I promise you have nothing to worry about. He’s not going to get to hurt you again.” Brax said and Charlie gave a little nod as she wrapped her arms around Brax, Brax rubbing her back as he softly kissed her head, promising to himself that if Grant was in the bay, he’d make sure he was gone before Charlie had to deal with seeing him again.

April walked out of her bedroom and into the kitchen, grabbing the tin of formula from the end of the worktop. She took a bottle from the steriliser and put in the correct amount of formula before adding water. She screwed on the top of the bottle before she gave it a good shake. “James still here?” Bianca said, walking out of the bathroom and into the kitchen, flicking on the kettle to boil.

“Yes,” April nodded. “Is that a problem?”

“No no,” Bianca shook her head as she reached for a mug. “He’s just....in your bedroom.” Bianca raised her eyebrows as she looked over to the door.

“Yeah,” April nodded. “Uhm, Finn is awake so it’s not like anything will happen. And it’s only like our 5th date. I’m not rushing this.”

“Good,” Bianca exhaled, feeling a little relieved to know April and James weren’t having sex yet. “Because Finn is way too young to become a big brother.”

“Believe me when I tell you I do not plan on making Finn and big brother for a long time,” April replied. “He’ll probably be a teenager before I have more kids.” April said and Bianca gave a little laugh.

“Good to know.” Bianca smiled.

“Hmm yes,” April exhaled. “Not to mention the pain of child birth is still way to etched on my mind.” April mumbled and Bianca gave a little chuckle.

“Thought they said women forgot all about that once their little bundle arrived.” Bianca and April turned their heads to see James walking into the room, Finn crying in his arms.

“Well any mother who has said that is probably still dozed up on the drugs,” April murmured, giving the bottle one more shake before handing it to James. He offered the bottle to Finn who silenced immediately, his little hands going onto the bottle, one of them going over James’. James grinned down at the boy, watching him as he fed. “Anyways, let go back through.” April pushed lightly onto James’ arm and they walked back through to her bedroom.

“You’re sister not giving you grief about me being in here, is she?” James wondered as they sat back down on the bed, leaning back against the headboard, getting themselves comfy.

“Nah, she’s...” April trailed off. “She’s cool. She just doesn’t want me making Finn a brother yet.”

“I’m sure you don’t either,” James exhaled. “And right now this little dude is the only little dude I need in my life. When we do take things to the next level we will be like....doubly safe.” James laughed.

“And the rest,” April mumbled of course feeling unsure about the safeness of condoms, given one was worn the night Finn was conceived. “But we....we’re waiting, right?” April questioned. “No rush.”

“No rush.” James leaned down and softly kissed her lips before looking back to Finn who was feeding in his arms. April smiled at the scene before resting her head against James’ shoulder and watched her son taking his milk.

Thank you Sarah and Spotd1 for the comments. :)

Sixty-seven

April pushed the buggy along the sidewalk, going to meet Ruby at the diner for lunch. “April,” April groaned at the voice that said her name. She slowed down as Xavier ran across the road, stopping next to her. “Hey.” Xavier took a few loud breaths.

“What do you want?” April exhaled, her hands gripping tighter onto the handle of the buggy.

“Uhm,” Xavier looked down as he rubbed the back of his head. “Have you thought anymore about what we spoke about the other day?” Xavier wondered.

“I told you then you can see Finn if it’s what you want.” April told him.

“What about us?” Xavier questioned.

“No,” April shook her head. “I uhm, I’ve told you already we’re not getting back together. We are done for good.”

Xavier bowed his head. “I’m sorry for you leaving you pregnant but I....well my father wasn’t really the best role model was he?” Xavier questioned. “He left us when we were young and I....I was scared I’d let you and the baby down.”

April screwed her face up a little. “So then shouldn’t you have stuck by me and our son?” April questioned. “By leaving me to deal with this alone you did exactly what your father did.”

“Well like I say, he wasn’t there to be a good role model for me.” Xavier said.

“And my mum and dad were there for me?” April questioned. “Don’t use not having your dad around as an excuse. Both my parents are pretty absent from my life,” April sighed. “At least you had and still do have your mother around.”

Xavier pursed his lips. “Look, I...can we please just start over again. Me, you and Finley. We can be a great family.” Xavier’s eyes showed he was pleading.

“His name is Finn,” April couldn’t believe Xavier still couldn’t get his name right. “If you are ready to be a dad to Finn then you can see him. We can arrange visits, time together but I’m never changing my mind on us. That ship has well and truly sailed,” Xavier glanced down at the buggy before looking back to April. He exhaled thinking maybe proving himself with Finn would eventually win April back too. “Look Xav, I have to go but if you want to see Finn, well.....you have my number.” April told him before continuing to walk down the sidewalk to the diner.

Charlie was making her way to the beach, going to have an afternoon relaxing, given Daniel was playing at Kaya’s, Ruby was out with April and Brax was at work. She walked across the grass area and was about to head down to the beach when she saw him. She stopped in her tracks, looking away and hoping that he wouldn’t see. She stood still for a moment before taking a deep breath and turning head to look in his direction again, her heart beating faster as she saw he was right there next to her. “Well well well Charlotte,” Grant gave a smug grin. “How nice to see you after all this time.”

Charlie swallowed nervously before taking a step back. “What do you want?”

“Just saying hey,” Grant stepped closer to her again. “So, how have you been?” Grant wondered. “Probably got yourself a nice little life, huh?” Grant smirked. “Looks like you’re expecting and I saw you in that restaurant the other night with your partner and kid,” Charlie once again swallowed nervously, looking away from Grant. “Cat got your tongue?” Grant laughed smugly. “Hey, you’ve done nothing wrong. Well apart from being the reason I’ve spend over 15 years in jail.”

“You deserved to be there,” Charlie replied. “You still should be there.”

Grant shook his head as he sniggered. “Maybe you should be the one in jail. Falsely accusing someone of rape the once is bad enough, but twice...” Grant shook his head.

Charlie took a deep breath. “I didn’t falsely accuse you and we both know that.”

Grant smirked, his head cocking to the side. “Well I think we are just remembering those nights a little differently.” Grant reached his hand out caressed Charlie’s arm.

“Don’t touch me,” Charlie shrugged away. “Just...why are you here?”

“Looking for a nice place to settle,” Grant exhaled. “Beautiful here, isn’t it. The view is gorgeous, crisp sea air,” Grant took a deep breath. “Locals are stunning looking women,” Grant once again caressed Charlie’s arm. Charlie quickly shrugged away and stepped further back. “Don’t look so scared,” Grant laughed. “We are going to have lots of fun.” Grant winked at her before walking away. Charlie watched until he was out of sight before she ran over to the surf club and ran up the stairs to the restaurant.

“Charlie,” Angelo greeted her with a smile but when he saw the look on her face he looked concerned. “Hey, what’s wrong?” Angelo stepped out from behind the bar and walked over to her.

“Brax,” Charlie mumbled. “Is Brax here?”

“Nah,” Angelo shook his head. “He’s gone out to the suppliers. Can I help with anything?” Charlie exhaled sadly, wishing so much Brax was there right now. “Charlie?” Angelo took a step forward and rubbed her arm. Charlie gave a little nod before walking into Angelo, wrapping her arms around him tightly. Angelo placed a soft kiss on her head as she wrapped his arms around her in the embrace, rubbing her back comfortingly.

April lightly shook the buggy, quickly settling her son from his cries. “So,” April exhaled, looking back to her friend. “You’ll never guess who I ran into on the way here,” Ruby looked at April before giving a little shrug. “Xav,” April sighed. “Still wants us back.”

“And what do you want?” Ruby questioned.

“Not Xavier that’s for sure,” April replied. “I guess he is Finn’s father and I.....I want Finn to know his father, so....” April gave a little shrug.

“You don’t sound too sure about him being around Finn.” Ruby observed.

“I dunno,” April sighed. “I guess Xav will have to just prove himself,” April pursed her lips. “I just have a feeling he is going to get in the way of me and James.”

Ruby raised her eyebrows. “You and James going well then?”

“Yeah,” April answered and Ruby grinned, seeing the immediate change in April’s facial expression now that James was mention. “He uhm, he actually wants us to go on a double date with you and Dex,” April told her. “He’d like to get to know my friends more.”

“Well if Dex is coming then I’m not.” Ruby mumbled.

“What?” April scrunched her face. “Have I missed something here? You haven’t broken up, have you?”

Ruby shook her head. “He’s just being a complete idiot.”

April gave a little laugh. “What’s he done now?”

“Oh he just wants a baby.” Ruby sighed.

April stared at Ruby, open mouthed. “He what?”

“You heard right,” Ruby exhaled. “He thinks we should have a baby.”

“Oh my God please tell me you said no?” April questioned.

“Actually I said yes and we are baby making tonight,” Ruby mumbled and April cocked her head to the side. “Of course I said no.” Ruby told her.

“Good,” April save a sigh of relief. “Because as much as I love Finn if I could go back in time and not have him right now but get him in like 10 years then I’d....I take it.” April felt bad for saying it but it was hard work trying to juggle schooling with bringing up her son.

Ruby glanced down at the buggy to the sleeping baby and gave a little smile. “You are doing pretty amazing with him.”

“That’s all thanks to Bianca’s help,” April exhaled. “If I didn’t have her we’d be a lot worse off.”

“There’s always uncle Dex,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “Although you better watch he doesn’t run off with him because I’m not giving him one.”

April gave a little laugh. “How about I get Dex to do some babysitting. See how much he wants a kid then, huh?”

“Dex loves sitting for Finn,” Ruby answered. “So, I’m sure that would only encourage the idea more.”

“Okay but he’s only ever babysat Finn a few hours at most and you have always been there too. It’s never been Finn and Dex alone, so....” April widened her eyes. “And of course I would make sure it would be a day that Finn would be on his best behaviour. Not one of his cranky pants days.” April raised her eyebrows.

“You are a sneaky little thing April Scott,” Ruby laughed. “But let’s give this a go.” Ruby said, hoping a day with a baby by himself would be enough to put Dex off the baby idea for a while.

Thanks Sarah, Spotd1 and CharlieAndBraxLover. :D

Sixty-eight

“Charlie,” Brax walked into the apartment, looking for his fiancée. “Baby.” Brax spoke a little louder as he walked though to the bedroom, finding Charlie lying on the bed, hugging a pillow close to her.

“What are you doing home from work?” Charlie sat up on the bed, moving the pillow to the side.

“Angelo told me what happened,” Brax sat down next to Charlie on the bed. “Gave me the rest of the day off to come be with you.”

Charlie gave a little smile as she leaned into Brax, Brax wrapping his arm around her. “I’m sorry you had to deal with him alone.” Brax said, placing a kiss on her temple.

“It was always going to happen,” Charlie mumbled. “But he seems to think Daniel is your son, so...” Charlie looked down. “I guess it could be worse.”

“Daniel is my son,” Brax told her. “And like I promised you, I’ll make sure Grant doesn’t come near you again.”

“And how you going to do that?” Charlie questioned, looking up to him.

“I uhm,” Brax gave a little shrug. “I’ll think of something,” Brax exhaled, lightly squeezing Charlie’s arm. “I promise you’ll be safe.” Brax looked down to his pocket as he heard his mobile ringing. “Heath,” Brax sounded surprised to hear from his brother. “How’s it going bro,” Brax stood up from the bed. “Wait, wait....calm down,” Brax told him. “What’s happened?” Brax widened his eyes as he looked down at Charlie, who looked to him, concern on her face.

“What is it?” Charlie mouthed as she stood up and rubbed Brax’s arm. Brax shook his head as he stepped away from her, his hand rubbing his forehead.

“Well how bad is it?” Brax questioned, Charlie hearing the concern in his voice. “Oh sh*t Casey,” Brax mumbled. “Of course.......I’ll get the next plane out,” Brax said, looking round to Charlie who was shaking her a head a little. “Yeah yeah, I’ll call you as soon as I know when I can come. Okay, see ya.” Brax hung up his phone before taking a deep breath.“Case has been in an accident,” Brax told him. “A car crash. He’s gonna survive but I think he’s pretty beat up right now. Broke both legs,” Brax cleared his throat. “I uhm...I need to go see him and help Heath out for a while.”

Charlie shook her head a little. “Can’t Heath and his girlfriend look after him?”

“C’mon Charlie, he’s my little brother.” Brax sighed.

“I know but,” Charlie pursed her lips. “He’s all the way at the other side of Australia and Heath is there and you just promised me that you’d help with the Grant situation.”

“Well maybe this is it,” Brax said. “You and Daniel can come to Perth with me.”

“Daniel has school,” Charlie sighed. “And I have work. We both have work.”

“I’m sure Angelo will understand. He’s a good man,” Brax exhaled. “Baby, I need to do this, surely you understand.”

Charlie exhaled lightly as she bowed her head. “I do but at the same time, I....we are your family here to and I need you.”

“What if I got one of your officers to sit watch?” Brax questioned, putting his arms around Charlie’s waist. “Would that make you feel safer?”

“I don’t want a fellow officer babysitting me,” Charlie sighed as she pulled herself away. “I just want you.”

“Charlie he’s my brother.” Brax sighed. He understood that Charlie needed him right now but he couldn’t not go to see Casey after his accident.

“And I understand that, I do, but the man who raped me on more than one occasion is back in town and I...” Charlie’s voice started to break as her eyes welled with tears. “After what he said today, I....he’s going to try something again, I know it.”

“Then tell the police. They’ll arrest him, give him a restraining order...something like that,” Brax said. “Look, baby I’m sorry but he’s my brother and he’s been hurt, badly. I’m sure if you had a sister that was badly hurt you’d travel the country to been with her.” Brax argued.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “But if I had a pregnant, scared, fiancée, I’d not make the decision look like it was so easy.” Charlie retorted before she marched out of the room.

“Charlie.” Brax followed her down the hall to the bathroom.

“You should go pack.” Charlie said, slamming the bathroom door shut. Brax sighed as he leaned forward and rested his head against the

door, closing his eyes as he thought about what he should do.

Ruby scrunched her face up as April wiped Finn’s bottom. “God that stinks. I thought he only had milk?” Ruby moved back a little and April laughed as she reached for another wipe.

“I’ll make sure he’s all full up for his day with Uncle Dex then, huh?” April lifted her son’s legs up with one hand as she pulled away the dirty nappy and placed a clean one under her son. She folded the tabs over before pulling up his little blue shorts, lifting him into her arms.

“You make it sound like you can tell him when to poop.” Ruby laughed.

April stifled a laugh. “He normally poops around 12. Then 3. 6, around 9.” April said as she walked out of the bedroom.

“He goes 4 times a day?” Ruby widened her eyes as she followed April out of the room.

“They’re worse when they’ve just been born.” April answered, putting Finn down on the play mat and shaking the rattle, Finn gurgling in delight as he kicked his legs.

“And he’s pretty on the clock.” Ruby sat down next to the play mat, squeezing the little squeaky toy.

“Just after a feed really,” April answered. “But hey, we need to pick something to do when Dex is babysitting.”

“What about a spa day?” Ruby suggested. “That place out by Yabbie Creek.”

“Sounds good to me,” April smiled. “Huh, what do you think bud?” April smiled down to her son. “Mummy and Auntie Rubes can go to the spa, yeah?” April lightly rubbed his cheek. “And Uncle Dex can look after you.” Finn stared up at his mother, his big brown eyes going even wider. He gave her a gummy grin as his legs kicked.

“I think he likes that idea,” Ruby smiled. “Uncle Dex is silly though so we are a little sorry for leaving you with him all day, we are,” Ruby lightly ticked Finn’s chin and he laughed. “Aww he is a little cutie though. It would be nice to have a baby.”

“Ruby,” April widened her eyes. “You’re not changing your mind are you? Do I need to tell you the story of the birth again?”

“No no no,” Ruby shook her head, not needing to hear those details again. “And I’m not changing my mind, I just....well babies are cute.”

“When they wake you up at 2am screaming bloody murder for no reason they’re not so cute,” April mumbled and Ruby gave a little laugh. “Besides you’ll get a brother or sister soon, so you can coo over them before having any of your own.”

“Yeah,” Ruby agreed. “Siblings are the only babies I want in my life right now,” Ruby said. “And of course this little cutie,” Ruby picked up Finn as she spoke. “Hmm come give Auntie Ruby a hug.” Ruby hugged Finn close as she kissed his temple, April smiling as she watched her friend with her son.

Daniel ran back into the apartment, finding Charlie in the kitchen. He ran over to his mother and wrapped his arms around her in a hug. “Hey buddy, you have fun with Kaya?” Charlie questioned.

“Was so much fun,” Daniel answered. “Is daddy home from work yet?”

“Uhm,” Charlie pursed her lips as she bent down to his level. “Daddy has gone to Perth,” Charlie told him and Daniel scrunched his face up.

“Why?” Daniel wondered.

“He needed to go see his brothers,” Charlie replied. “Casey got hurt so he’s gone to help look after him.”

“Oh,” Daniel scratched the side of his head. “How we no go?” Daniel wondered. “Uncle Casey was fun when we visited them.”

“Because we have school and work here,” Charlie said. “Now go play for 5 more minutes then its bath time, okay?” Charlie said and Daniel nodded.

“Bye Bianca.” Daniel waved as he ran from the room.

“Bye bud,” Bianca smiled at the boy before walking over to the kitchen, taking a seat at the breakfast bar. “So, Brax has left town?”

“Hmm,” Charlie folded her arms across her chest as she leaned forward, resting herself against the worktop. “Got a call this afternoon from Heath. Casey was in an accident. He’s broke both his legs and Brax is off to help.” Charlie raised her eyebrows.

“And you are not happy with that?” Bianca questioned.

“The reason I asked you to bring Daniel home...” Charlie pursed her lips, looking down. “Grant is in town and I...he said stuff to me this afternoon and now I....I’m scared to go out.”

“Aww Charlie,” Bianca leaned forward and rubbed her arm. “He wouldn’t be stupid enough to try anything again, would he?”

“I wouldn’t put anything passed him,” Charlie mumbled. “And I wanted Brax to stay for me. Even a few more days so we could see if Grant would try anything. Maybe Brax could have a word with him, scare him off, but...one little phone call from his brother and he’s gone.”

“I get that you need him here but his brother clearly needs him too,” Bianca said. “It must have been a hard choice for him to make.”

“Seemed pretty easy to me,” Charlie muttered. “All we’ve done since we got engaged was argue.”

Bianca’s eyes widened. “You got engaged?”

“Yesterday,” Charlie nodded, showing Bianca the ring, Bianca gasping at its beauty. “We were going to tell you, Miles, Leah and Irene tomorrow at that charity event that’s on at the diner but...” Charlie gave a little shrug.

“So why have you been arguing?” Bianca questioned. “I mean, like you say you just got engaged, you should be....you know,” Bianca raised her eyebrows. “Well not arguing.”

“Last night when we were getting intimate Grant’s face popped into my head and I....I couldn’t have sex with him on my mind,” Charlie explained and Bianca gave a nod, showing she understood. “But then he questioned if it was even Grant and....I was upset that he didn’t believe me,” Charlie pursed her lips. “Then today we fight again because I told him I needed him here and that I was sure Heath and his girlfriend could look after Casey and maybe I’m being selfish but I’m also pregnant and the man who raped me is town so I think I have rights to be.” Charlie voice was breaking, Bianca seeing her friend was on the brink of tears.

“Hey Charlie,” Bianca got down from the chair and walked around the breakfast bar, pulling her friend into a hug. “You have plenty people here who love and support you. Grant’s not going to get near you.” Bianca said, rubbing her back and she held her friend in the embrace.

Thanks Spotd1, Sarah and Sabrina for the comments. :)

Sixty-nine

Ruby walked out of the bathroom, seeing the glare coming from Charlie’s room. She walked over and softly knocked on the door, before walking in. “Hey,” Ruby smiled as she walked over to the bed and sat down next to her mother. “You alright?” Ruby questioned and Charlie looked up to her, putting the book she was reading down.

Charlie pursed her lips and gave a little shrug. “What you doing up?”

“Thinking about this exam tomorrow,” Ruby answered. “Guess I’ve done all I can do now, huh?”

“You’ll be fine,” Charlie wrapped her arm around her daughter. “Don’t worry too much either. Not like it’s your HSC.”

Ruby gave her mother a smile. “So, mother,” Ruby exhaled. “You going to stay mad with Brax for a long time?”

“I’m pregnant with his child and my rapist is in town and he goes to the other side of the country, so what do you think?” Charlie spoke with anger in her tone and it didn’t go unnoticed by Ruby.

“You just got engaged,” Ruby pointed out. “You shouldn’t be arguing.”

“Every couple argues,” Charlie told her daughter. “Things can’t be peachy between you and Dex all the time?”

“Most certainly not,” Ruby mumbled. “He’s got it into his head that we should have a baby.”

Charlie widened her eyes in shock at her daughters words. “Ruby Buckton do not make me a grandmother.”

“Aww see I was thinking that the kids would love growing up together,” Ruby said. “More like best friends than Auntie and Niece,” Ruby joked and Charlie lightly hit her side. “But don’t worry I won’t make you a grandmother anytime soon.”

Charlie gave a sigh of relief. “But you and Dex will work things out, right?” Charlie ran her hand through her daughter’s hair.

“Once he stops being a crazy person everything will be fine,” Ruby answered. “April is going to give him Finn for the day. Hopefully once he sees how hard it actually is he’ll be put off for a while,” Ruby smirked and Charlie gave a little laugh. “You and Brax will be okay though, yeah?”

Charlie gave a shrug. “I get that he’s close with his brothers and he doesn’t like not seeing them as much these days, but he’s a parent now and he had me.....you know he has this life here and a new baby on the way,” Charlie ran her hand over her bump. “Your priorities change when you have a family and I wish he....I’m hurt that he didn’t chose to stay with me when I need him.”

“That didn’t really answer the question to if you two will be okay,” Ruby looked a little worried. “You just showed how pissed were at him,” Ruby bit her lip. “So maybe it did answer the question...” Ruby trailed off, worried Charlie would want to end things.

Charlie shook her head a little. “It’s not like we’ll break up over this but he’ll know I am mad and have a lot of making up to do. Especially if Grant does anything to me or even worse you and Daniel.”

“But even if Brax was here it doesn’t mean to say that he’d be able to stop it,” Ruby said. “He can’t watch us 24/7.”

“Maybe not but he did promise that he wouldn’t let Grant do anything to us and he can’t exactly attempt to stop him from Perth, can he?” Charlie questioned and Ruby shook in reply. “Well anyways I can’t sleep and this one is screaming for ice-cream. How about a little night time treat?” Charlie said and Ruby smiled and nodded as she stood up from the bed.

“I’ll go get it and we can chill in here yeah?” Ruby questioned and Charlie gave a little nod before Ruby left the room to get the ice-cream.

Ruby and Daniel walked into the apartment, back home from school. “Hey babies,” Charlie smiled at her kids, happy to see they were home safe. “How was school?” Charlie held her arm out as Daniel cuddled into her.

“Okay.” Daniel answered.

“How was the exam?” Charlie glanced up at Ruby.

“Meh,” Ruby scrunched her face up. “What have you done today?”

“Uhm,” Charlie rubbed the back of her head. “Cleaned out the kitchen cupboards. Cleaned out Daniel's room. Got rid of some of his older clothes.”

“You didn’t throw away any of my toys, did you?” Daniel gasped, his eyes widening.

“Nah,” Charlie shook her head. “You’re toys are safe. Just some old clothes.”

“You buy me new ones then?” Daniel wondered and Charlie gave a little laugh as she ran her hand over his head.

“Maybe,” Charlie said before looking back up to Ruby. “Thanks for picking him up.”

“No worries,” Ruby answered. “So you didn’t leave the house all day?” Ruby knew her mother was scared to leave after her run in with Grant.

“I was busy in here.” Charlie mumbled.

Ruby raised her eyebrows. “Are we still going to the fundraiser tonight?”

“Uhm,” Charlie rubbed the back of her head. “I’m not going to bother.”

“No mummy,” Daniel scowled at her. “I want to go. It will be good and I will see VJ and Kaya and Poppy and Finn.”

“I’m sorry buddy but we can have fun here,” Charlie told him. “We can watch one of your superhero movies and play a game.”

“No no,” Daniel sighed. “I want to go to the party.”

“It’s not a party bud,” Ruby told him. “Well not really,” Ruby scrunched her face up a little. “But we should still go.”

“Yeah,” Daniel agreed with his sister. “Mummy we will go, okay?” Daniel shook his index finger at her.

“I,” Charlie pursed her lips, looking down. “I’m not going out.” Charlie exhaled.

Ruby sighed but didn’t want to push it right now. “Okay well I’m going to revise for my next exam. We’ll see how you feel about this later.” Ruby said before disappearing down the hall before Charlie could argue against going out anymore. She took her phone from her school bag and

scrolled down to Bianca’s name, going to call her in hopes she could get Charlie to come out tonight.

James put Finn down on the changing mat and pulled down his shorts. “You don’t need to do this,” April told him. “Maybe you should start with a wet one, not a stinky one.”

James laughed a little. “May as well get right in, eh?” James pulled at the tabs, before opening the nappy. “Oh God,” James gagged as he got a whiff of the gift Finn had left. “What you been eating little dude?” James glanced at Finn who was holding a little giraffe teddy in his hands. Finn gurgled as he waved his arms excitedly. James opened the nappy again, screaming in shock as Finn started peeing, spraying his shirt. “What the hell.” James mumbled, once again putting the nappy down to stop the pee spraying everywhere.

April laughed as she reached for the wipes. “Little boys do that sometimes.”

“Why?” James scrunched his face as he rubbed the back of his head.

“Well they are all snug and warm down there then bam, cold air,” April said. “So on you go if you want to change him,” James cautiously opened the nappy and took a wipe from the pack, wiping at his little bottom. “Lift his legs with your other hand,” April told him. “It’s easier that way.”

James gave a little nod before lifting up the boys legs, gagging again at the stench. April laughed as she watched him before smiling as she saw the pure concentration on his face. She reached down for the nappy and handed it to James, James putting it onto Finn as April dealt with the smelly nappy, folding it up and putting it into the nappy bag. “This tight enough?”

April glanced down before giving a little nod. “Looks perfect.”

“So not a bad first attempt then?” James smiled as he lifted Finn’s shorts up before lifting him into his arms, rubbing his back as he held him. April smiled up at him, Finn still staring down at his toy giraffe.

“No,” April answered. “But that was really the first nappy you've changed?”

“Well I’d don’t have any siblings or cousins and I dunno, I’ve never really been around babies so....” James gave a little shrug.

“Well you’d never know it,” April smiled. “You really are a natural with him.”

“Ah thanks,” James smiled. “He’s a great kid. His mothers not bad either,” James joked and April poked his side before she tiptoed up and kissed his lips softly. “How about we skip this event tonight?” James questioned. “Just hang here. Me, you and little dude?”

“Sounds good,” April answered. “But we should probably show face. And you get to meet my friends.”

“Ah so you want to show me off tonight?” James smirked and April gave a little nod before they shared another kiss.

"Might want to change your shirt first." April laughed as she pulled back from the kiss.

"Maybe little dude has one I can borrow." James joked as he looked to Finn, Finn having put the leg of the giraffe into his mouth. April gave a little laugh before walking out her room, James following her out the living room, so they could hang out for a while, before going into the diner later.

Thanks Spotd1 and Sarah. :)

Seventy

Ruby took another slice of lemon drizzle cake onto her plate. “Watch your sugar intake.” Ruby turned around, seeing Dex was standing behind her.

“I’m fine.” Ruby mumbled.

“Not a bad night huh?” Dex reached for a caramel slice.

Ruby shrugged a little. “Wish my mum came. The fundraiser is for cancer, so I thought she’d be here after what Daniel’s been through. It’s an important cause to her now.”

“Yeah,” Dex cleared his throat. “Why didn’t she come?”

“Cos of Grant being in town.” Ruby snapped at him.

“Oh,” Dex widened his eyes. “I didn’t know he was,” Dex spoke quietly. “You’ve not really been speaking to me, have you?”

“Nah I haven’t,” Ruby pursed her lips. “Well he’s back and yeah....” Ruby clicked her tongue. “Brax has gone off to Perth and left her here scared as.”

“Well...” Dex looked around the diner, seeing it was full of people. “There’s plenty of people here. I’m sure Grant wouldn’t try anything with everyone that’s around.”

“Yeah well try telling my mum that.” Ruby sighed.

“Hey,” Ruby and Dex turned their heads to see April and James walking over to them, James pushing the buggy. “You two kissed and made up then?” April questioned.

“No,” Ruby answered quickly and Dex bowed his head, looking disappointed. “Hey, I’m Ruby.” Ruby held her hand out for James to shake.

“James,” James smiled. “And you must be Dex.”

“Nice to meet you,” Dex shook his hand. “You treating these two well, I hope?” Dex said, glancing to April before looking down to the buggy.

“I’d like to think so,” James answered. “She’s a wonderful person your friend here.” James wrapped one arm around April’s waist and placed a kiss on her temple.

April smiled, looking a little embarrassed. “He’s great Dex,” April told him, rubbing James’ chest. “He treats me and Finn very well.”

“Good.” Dex smiled, giving James a curt nod.

“So April mentioned to you about our double date?” James questioned.

“Never heard anything of it,” Dex said before looking to Ruby. Ruby pursed her lips, giving a little shrug.

“She mentioned it to me,” Ruby glanced at Dex before looking to James. “Dex and I are uhm.....” Ruby trailed off. “Maybe it can happen soon.”

“I see,” James gave a little nod, seeing Ruby was hinting that they weren’t great right now. “Well just let April know and we’ll get something arranged.”

“Sure,” Ruby said, glancing behind James to the door, seeing Bianca, Miles, Leah and the kids coming into the diner. “Sorry, I’ll be right back,” Ruby said, excusing herself and walking over to Bianca. “Hey.” Ruby waved. “Uhm, I guess it didn’t go well with mum.”

“Sorry,” Bianca answered. “We tried but,” Bianca shook her head. “Daniel really wanted to come. I offered him to come with me but Charlie wouldn’t let him go without her.”

“Well thanks for trying.” Ruby exhaled.

“We ran into Angelo on the way here though,” Bianca told her. “He’s gone around to speak to her.” Bianca ran her hand over Kaya’s head as her daughter cuddled against her.

“I just don’t want her hiding away,” Ruby said. “He shouldn’t get to make her feel unsafe in her home town.”

“And Brax skipping town hardly helped the situation has it?” Bianca questioned and Ruby shook her head a little in response.

“No, she’s pissed at him,” Ruby sighed. “You know she called in sick to work today. Probably will tomorrow as well.”

“Well let’s hope Angelo can get through to her.” Bianca lightly rubbed Ruby’s arm and Ruby gave a little nod, hoping that Charlie wouldn’t let Grant being in town stop her from going out for too long.

Charlie looked up as she heard the doorbell ringing. Daniel got up from the floor where they were sitting playing hungry hippos and rushed over. “Wait,” Charlie pushed herself up from the floor and walked over, looking through the peephole, breathing out a sigh of relief at seeing it wasn’t Grant at the door. She opened the door, smiling at the man. “Hey.”

“Hey,” Angelo replied. “I thought you’d be down at that fundraiser.”

Charlie pursed her lips as she looked down a little. “I don’t feel like going out. I just wanna...” Charlie bit her lip. “I feel a bit down.”

“Being around friends might help cheer you up,” Angelo suggested and he could see the scared look in her eyes. “We’re not going to let him hurt you, Charlie,” Angelo stepped forward and rubbed her arm. “And I bet you’d like you go to the fundraiser, huh?” Angelo looked down to Daniel who gave a nod as he cuddled against his mother. “C’mon Charlie,” Angelo gave her a comforting smile. “He’s not even likely to show when there’s so many people around.”

“Who’s not?” Daniel wondered.

“No one you need to worry about,” Charlie ran her hand over his head. “You really want to go tonight?”

“Yeah,” Daniel nodded. “There’s cake and pop and uhm a raffle with prizes and things.” Daniel grinned up Charlie.

Charlie exhaled looking from Daniel to Angelo and back to Daniel, smiling at his cheeky pleading grin. “Go get your shoes on then,” Charlie and Daniel cheered before running down the hall to his room. “You eh.....you’ll stay with me?” Charlie questioned.

“Of course.” Angelo gave a nod.

“Glad someone wants to be there to keep me safe,” Charlie mumbled, sticking her feet into her sandals that were by the door. “Just a bit funny that it’s my ex and not my fiancé.” Charlie looked back up to Angelo as she raised her eyebrows.

“It’s just in Brax’s nature to want to go help someone in need.” Angelo told her.

“Yeah?” Charlie questioned. “Well I needed him here.” Charlie picked up her wallet from the table by the door, just as Daniel came running down the hall, ready to go out.

April walked out of the toilets and was making her way back to the diner when she bumped into Xavier. “Alright.” Xavier questioned.

“Yeah fine.” April answered.

“Not a bad night eh?” Xavier exhaled. “Got my hopes on that iPad raffle prize.”

“There’s an iPad raffle prize?” April widened her eyes and Xavier gave a little nod. April stared at him for a moment before exhaling. “Well I’ll get back to James and Finn.” Xavier turned his head to see James was holding Finn in his arms, Finn looking down to his toy giraffe that was in his little hands.

“I want to see him,” Xavier told her. “Maybe tomorrow after school I can take him to the beach or to the park. Bet he’d love the swings.”

“He’s too little for the swings,” April told him. “And if you think I am going to leave him with you by yourself then you can think again.”

“I’m his father.” Xavier sighed.

April sniggered, holding her hand up in front of her. “I’d use that term loosely right now if I were you,” April told him. “James is more of father to him than you.”

Xavier shook his head. “He’s going to be calling me Daddy.”

April bit her lip as she gave a little shrug. “If you can prove yourself with him,” April said. “You can come around to the house after school. Give him a bottle, have a cuddle....we’ll see how you bond.”

“I don’t want you babysitting me.” Xavier sighed.

“Well until I can trust you can look after him alone that’s the way it’s going to be,” April told him. “You can’t seriously expect to just all of a sudden rock up into his life and get him by yourself,” April said and Xavier sighed, giving a little shrug. “You want to be in Finn’s life then I have no problems with that but I call the shots, not you.” April told him before walking away, Xavier watching as she took her son into her arms, Finn grinning as she placed a kiss on his temple.

“You alright?” James questioned, looking behind him to Xavier who as still staring over at them.

“Hmm.” April gave a little nod, hugging Finn close to her as James wrapped an arm around her and softly kissed her head.

Archived