A Perfect Match

Guest Danni02

Thank you Spotd1, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sarah for the comments. :)

Seventy-one

Charlie looked down at her phone as it rang, pursing her lips as he saw his name. “You know hitting that green button means you can talk to him,” Angelo said. Charlie glanced up at him before looking back to her phone, her finger hitting the red button, cancelling the call. “Not talking to him is only going to make it worse.”

“You bring that drink for me?” Charlie dodged his remark as she pointed to the beer.

“What do you think?” Angelo questioned and Charlie ran her hand over her stomach before sighing lightly. “This is for you though.” Angelo gave her the cup, Charlie accepting the orange juice.

“Thanks.” Charlie smiled before taking a drink.

“So,” Angelo leaned back against the table. “I know you want to let him know you are mad with him but dodging his calls may only worry him.”

Charlie sniggered. “If he was that worried for my safety he’d still be here,” Charlie said, looking over to the room to Daniel who was sitting with VJ and Kaya, having a milkshake. She felt herself relaxing, seeing he was safe. “How’s business?” Charlie decided to change the subject.

“It’s good,” Angelo nodded. “Great even.”

“What about the dating scene?” Charlie raised her eyebrows as she nudged Angelo’s side. “Hmm how can a sweet handsome guy like you still be single?”

Angelo stifled a laugh. “Well the last person I was on a date with left me for my new business partner, so....you tell me what I am doing wrong.”

“I was the last person you dated?” Charlie questioned and Angelo gave a little nod. “Whoa...well,” Charlie pursed her lips. “You didn’t do anything wrong. You were sweet, kind, you made me laugh, you really tried with Daniel, I....you were nothing but lovely, but,” Charlie clicked her tongue. “We’d been friends for so long and I didn’t want to risk ruining that. Losing you from my life completely if we did date and things went wrong, I...I didn’t think we’d be able to be such good friends again.”

“That and the fact you fell for my new business partner,” Angelo said. “You guys had a connection as soon as you met. You were made to be with him.”

“I used to think that to,” Charlie said. “But now.” Charlie shrugged.

“Look I know right now you are hurt he’s left you but don’t question what you have,” Angelo told her. “It’s a one in a million special thing,” Angelo lightly rubbed Charlie’s arm. Charlie pursed her lips as her phone started ringing again. Angelo looked down, seeing Brax’s name on the screen. “I’ll give you some privacy.” Angelo squeezed her shoulder before attempting to walk off.

“No,” Charlie grabbed onto his arm. “You promised you wouldn’t leave me,” Charlie said, letting the phone ring off. She saw the look Angelo gave her and exhaled lightly. “I’m not ready to talk to him,” Charlie said and Angelo sighed lightly, wishing she would change her mind but knowing she was stubborn and probably just needed a little more time. “C’mon,” Charlie pulled on his arm as they walked further into the diner. “Let’s give some money to this cause.”Charlie said, walking with Angelo over to the stalls.

Daniel walked into Charlie’s bedroom, rubbing his tired eyes. “Mummy.” Daniel climbed up onto the bed. Charlie looked down to him, taking her eyes away from her phone, her hand having been hovering over Brax’s name for at least 10 minutes.

“What baby?” Charlie put her phone down on the bedside table as Daniel cuddled into her.

“I feel sick,” Daniel pouted sadly. Charlie felt his forehead, seeing he was a little warmer than usual. “Is I gonna be real sick again and lose my hair and have to have all the needles again?” Daniel sounded terrified at his questioned.

“I don’t think so baby,” Charlie rubbed his side as he remained cuddled into her. “You probably just had too much junk food tonight.”

“Yeah,” Daniel mumbled. “Is daddy coming home yet?”

“I don’t know when he’s coming home,” Charlie answered. “But he just left yesterday so I am sure he’ll be a bit longer.”

“Is Casey sick like I was?” Daniel wondered.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “He was in a car accident but he’s going to be okay so you don’t need to worry about him, alight.” Charlie said and Daniel gave a little nod, his hand going onto Charlie’s bump.

“Will daddy be home in time to see the baby coming?” Daniel questioned and Charlie gave a little laugh as she nodded her head.

“I’m sure he’ll be back long before then.” Charlie assured him.

“Good,” Daniel smiled. “Will the baby be much longer?” Daniel sounded frustrated at the time he had to wait to meet his new sibling.

“Another while yet,” Charlie told him. “6 more months.”

“Wow this is so long,” Daniel sighed sadly. “Why does she take so long?”

“Well she’s just had to grow big and strong first,” Charlie answered. “You want her to be ready to come out, don’t you?”

“Uh-huh,” Daniel gave a little nod. “And we have the new house before she comes cos she no has a place to sleep here.” Daniel looked up to his mother, a little worried look on his face as to where the baby will sleep.

“We’ll be at the new house,” Charlie told him. “We get the keys for there in 2 weeks time.” Charlie said and Daniel grinned, looking forward to the new house, there being a big garden for him to play in, Charlie and Brax promising Daniel a climbing frame and swing set.

“Do you think me and daddy could build a tree house?” Daniel questioned.

“I’m sure you could,” Charlie ran her hand though his hair. “Now it’s getting late and you have school tomorrow so let’s get some sleep huh?” Charlie turned to the side and flicked her side light off before she and Daniel cuddled into each other, trying to get some sleep.

April ran her hands down James’ back, before they came around his waist, pulling at the buckle on his belt. “Mmm.” April moaned as they kissed intensified, James’ tongue twirling around her mouth. James slowly pulled the zip of April’s skirt down, letting it fall to the ground. He lifted April up and she wrapped her legs around his waist, as he walked forwards, laying April down on the bed as he straddled over her. April pulled at the rim of James’ t-shirt before lifting it over his head, throwing it to the side.

“Mmm,” James pulled back from the kiss, holding himself up with his hands on the mattress. “Do you want to stop?” James looked deep into April’s big brown eyes and gave her a little smile as she rubbed his cheek, April too looking deep into his big green eyes.

“I know I said I wanted to take it slow but, I....” April bit her lip. “It just feels right,” April told him. “But if you don’t want too....” April trailed off.

“Of course I want too,” James lightly rubbed her cheek before looking behind him to the cot, where Finn lay asleep. “We aren’t going to wake him and scar him for life, are we?”

“I’d think not,” April shook her head. “But if it disturbs you doing it while he’s in the room we don’t need to,” April told him. “We can wait or move him.”

“Nah.” James shook his head before once again lightly rubbing April’s cheek. He leaned back down and placed another kiss on her lips, April wrapping her arms around his neck as they let it intensify, before their hands wandered and pulled at each other’s remaining clothes.

April cleared her throat as she pulled back. “Do you have condom?” April whispered and James nodded as April looked into his eyes. She gave a little smile, completely trusting him and wanted to take this next step with him, knowing even though it was quicker than she first expected, it felt like the right time. He was amazing with both her and Finn and the kind of connection she had with him didn’t happen often with another person. Her smile grew larger as he ran her hands through his hair, his blond locks reaching down to his chin. She pushed his head down so his lips smacked against hers again in a kiss that only kept growing in passion.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Sarah and Spotd1 for the comments. :)

Seventy-two

Charlie rubbed Daniel’s back as he threw up into the toilet. “I’m sorry.” Daniel started crying as he looked up to his mother.

“Why are you sorry?” Charlie questioned. “You don’t have to be sorry buddy.” Charlie wiped the tears from Daniel’s cheeks.

“I got sick on my uniform.” Daniel cried.

“Aww buddy,” Charlie rubbed his back again before pulling him closer to her, feeling the coldness from his body. “You don’t worry about that. It’ll wash off.”

“But what will I wear now to school?” Daniel burst into more tears.

“Well you have more than one shirt,” Charlie told him. “But I don’t think we’ll bother with school,” Charlie ran her hand over his head. “We’ll take a sick day, hmm,” Daniel gave a little nod before sticking his head back into the toilet, throwing up again. “Aww bud you said you felt better this morning. Mummy would never have gotten you ready for school if she thought you were still sick.”

“I did feel better,” Daniel answered. “But now I’m not again.”

“Well how about you go get back into your pj’s and I’ll hunt out the blanket and you can lie on the couch.” Charlie said and Daniel nodded as he reached up and flushed the toilet.

“What if I be sick again though?” Daniel spoke quietly.

“I’ll get the bucket out too.” Charlie said and Daniel gave her a weak smile.

“Is you not going to work either?” Daniel asked.

“No, I’ll stay here with you buddy. We can have a day on the couch, huh?” Charlie questioned and Daniel gave a little nod. “Go get change. And bring your shirt through from mummy to wash,” Charlie followed Daniel out of the bathroom but instead of going to his bedroom she walked down to the kitchen, where Ruby was eating her breakfast. She picked up the phone and dialled the station, Ruby listening as her mother once again called in sick. “What you looking at me like that for?”

“Calling in sick again.” Ruby raised her eyebrows.

“You’ve heard Daniel throwing up, right?” Charlie questioned and Ruby gave a little nod. “Well I’m pretty sure I’d had DOCS at the door if I left him home alone.”

“I could look after him while you work.” Ruby replied.

“You have school.” Charlie argued as she opened the cupboard and took out the green blanket that the kids would always use when they were sick.

“I have an exam at 2,” Ruby retorted. “It’s all study time before that and I can study from home.”

“You’ll go to school,” Charlie told her as she walked behind the breakfast bar and opened the cupboard, taking out the bucket, just in case Daniel was going to be sick again. “On you go anyways or you’ll be late.” Charlie gestured for Ruby to leave. Ruby sighed as she stood up, drinking the last of her orange juice.

“See ya later.” Ruby walked over to Charlie and kissed her cheek before walking over to the door, picking up her school bag on the way.

“Mummy,” Charlie looked around as she heard Daniel’s quiet voice, seeing him walking over to her. She walked around the breakfast bar and into the living room, sitting Daniel up on the couch. “Daddy’s chicken soup would help me now.” Daniel mumbled as he lay down, Rocky penguin behind hugged close to him.

“I don’t know how to make it.” Charlie rubbed the side of his head.

“Call and ask.” Daniel pouted.

Charlie pursed her lips. “Mummy doesn’t want to talk to him right now,” Charlie said and Daniel’s pout got bigger and sadder looking. “I’ll see if he’s got it written down somewhere, okay.” Charlie said and Daniel gave a little smile in reply. She leaned down and placed a soft kiss on his temple, hoping it was just a bug Daniel had picked up and that nothing more serious was coming their way.

April handed the bottle to Xavier as she sat down on the arm chair. He glanced down at Finn who was lying on his play mat before looking to the bottle, giving it a little shake. “Thanks for this.” Xavier gave her a smile.

“Just don’t let him down.” April looked down to her son who as on the play mat, Finn kicking his legs as he babbled, looking up to the new face.

Xavier shook his head. “I won’t,” Xavier took a deep breath and April could see he was nervous. “So,” Xavier moved his gaze to look back to April. “You enjoy last night?”

“Very much,” April raised her eyebrows before clearing her throat. “But yeah the fundraiser was a good night,” April clicked her tongue. “You won that iPad in the end right?”

“Yeah,” Xavier grinned. “Downloaded so many apps onto it already.” Xavier laughed.

“So you kept it?”April glanced at Finn, who was starting to look irritated and like he was ready for his feed.

“Well I won it, why wouldn’t I keep it?” Xavier questioned.

“Everyone else is taking what they’ve won to the kids ward at the oncology department,” April told him. “Even Daniel wants to take the Flash toy he won to the sick kids and you know how much he loves the Flash.” April murmured.

“Well,” Xavier scratched the back of his head. “I won it,” Xavier gave a little shrug. “So, anyway, James coming around to play happy families today?” Xavier questioned.

“I dunno,” April shrugged. “But what’s it to you if he does?”

“Well he’s around my son a lot so maybe it is time I had a word with him.” Xavier said.

April sniggered. “He’s done more for that boy in the couple of weeks, no, I’m going to say the first day he met him than you’ve done for his in his whole 4 months of life,” April raised her voice a little. “So maybe he should actually be the one having a word with you.”

“Yeah well if things go my way he’ll be out of the picture soon enough.” Xavier muttered.

“What was that?” April questioned, not quiet hearing him.

“Nothing,” Xavier shook his head as Finn stared to whine.

“You need to feed him,” April said, seeing her little one was getting passed hungry.

Xavier sighed before looking to him before looking back to April. “What do I....” Xavier cleared his throat. “What do I do?”

“Picking him up would be a start,” April mumbled. Xavier glanced up at April before taking a deep breath looking down to Finn once again. He leaned down and picked the boy up, April pursing her lips, not sure how she felt about Xavier holding their son. She watched as Xavier held him far away from his body, dropping the bottle to the floor. She sighed as she bent down and picked the bottle up. “Hold him closer to you,” April said, lightly pushing on Xavier’s arm. Xavier looked uncomfortable as Finn started to cry in his arms, having waited for his bottle long enough.

“It’s alright bubba,” April spoke softly as she rubbed his head, putting the bottle to his mouth. Finn continued to cry as Xavier moved him further from his body again. “Xav you are upsetting him even more. Keep him cuddled against you so he feels safe.”

“I’m sorry I’ve never held a baby before. It feels weird.” Xavier sighed.

“It shouldn’t feel weird. He’s your son,” April retorted, raising her voice over his loudening screams. “C’mon bud,” April rubbed the teat of the bottle against his lower lip and Finn brought his hands up and held onto the bottle as he started drinking. “Hold him close.” April said as she gave the bottle to Xavier. Xavier held onto the bottle as he brought Finn closer to him, looking nervously down at him as April backed away a little, letting Xavier feed him on his own.

Thank you for the comments. :D

Seventy-three

Charlie looked through the peephole before she opened the door, inviting Dex into the house. “Hey,” Charlie smiled at the boy. “Rubes is in her room.” Dex gave her a smile before starting to walk over to the door. He took a deep before knocking.

“Yeah?” Ruby jumped up from her bed and walked over to the door, pulling it open. “Oh I thought you were my mum.”

“Sorry to disappoint.” Dex exhaled. Ruby pursed her lips as she looked into her room before looking back to Dex.

“I’m revising so....” Ruby raised her eyebrows.

“History tomorrow,” Dex exhaled. “Never was my best subject. Maybe we could do some revision together.” Dex walked further into the room, Ruby moving to the side as Dex shut the door behind him.

“Uhm,” Ruby shrugged. “Didn’t really think we were talking right now.”

“That’s on your part,” Dex sighed. “Just because I want a baby and you don’t isn’t really much of a reason not to talk to me,” Dex said. “It’s more of a reason to talk to me. We can talk it out.”

“Couples split up all the time because one wants a baby and the other doesn’t.” Ruby mumbled.

“So you want to split up?” Dex questioned.

“Do you still want a baby?” Ruby questioned and Dex bit his lip as he gave a little nod.

“Well I don’t,” Ruby told him. “And you are being stupid for wanting a baby at seventeen. You are pretty much a kid yourself. Kids having kids doesn’t work.”

“April seems to have taken to it like water off a ducks back.” Dex mumbled.

Ruby rolled her eyes. “How April is coping has nothing to do with us,” Ruby raised her voice. “You can’t be a parent when you still play with kids’ toys yourself,” Ruby sighed. “You are way too immature to be a parent. You’re great at playing the fun Uncle to Finn and why can’t that be enough right now?” Ruby questioned. “We are each other’s first proper relationship. Why do you have to make it so serious so soon? Can’t we just enjoy being young and having fun?” Ruby stepped forward and rubbed the side of his arm. “Don’t you love that it’s just us right now? We won’t be able to be spontaneous with a baby around....” Ruby gave a suggestive grin as she wrapped her arms around Dex’s neck and softly kissed his lips. “Will be harder to do that with a baby around,” Ruby whispered as she kissed him again.

“Relationships are about more than kissing and sex,” Dex shrugged her off him. “Rubes, we need to plan a future and see that we are on the same page. That kids are something we both want.”

“I do want kids,” Ruby sighed. “In like 10 years time I will give you 20 kids if it’s going to make you happy but please, baby, see that right now is not the time for us to be having kids. Let’s wait till we are older and married....don’t you want to be married first?”

“Is that a proposal?” Dex questioned.

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “Again, we are only 17. What’s your rush?”

“I just....I love you so much Rubes and I just want to show people how much you mean to me.” Dex exhaled, taking Ruby’s hands in his.

“So then buy me a necklace or take me away for a romantic weekend getaway,” Ruby said. “Stuff normal teenagers want to do,” Ruby gave him a little smile. “Hmm. C’mon baby I hate fighting with you.”

“Me too,” Dex spoke quietly. “And maybe we can talk about this again in 6 months time or something.”

“Dex.” Ruby sighed.

“Just say you’ll think about it.” Dex replied.

“Okay okay,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “We can talk about it again in 6 months,” Ruby mumbled, already knowing how that conversation would go. “Now come here.” Ruby pulled Dex closer to her and placed a kiss on his lips, Dex smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen as he wrapped his arms around his girlfriend, pulling her closer to him, their bodies pressing together as the kiss intensified.

Daniel was sitting up on the couch, the blanket still wrapped around him as he played Angry Birds on Charlie’s iPhone. He’d been sick a few times through the day but Charlie was starting to see more colour in his face, now feeling more relaxed that he just had a bug and it was nothing more serious. “You want to try to eat some dinner?” Charlie questioned, thinking she’d need to make a start to making dinner soon, at least for herself, Ruby and Dex if he was staying.

“I think I’ll be sick if I eat.” Daniel said, not looking up from playing the game.

“Maybe I’ll give you some dry toast,” Charlie ran her hand over his head. “Get something into your stomach.”

Daniel quickly glanced up at Charlie with a scowl on his face before looking back to his game. “Oh,” Daniel gasped as he phone started to ring. “It’s daddy.” Daniel saw Brax’s name on the screen before looking to Charlie. Charlie pursed her lips as Daniel’s hand went to swipe to answer.

“Daniel Buckton don’t you...” Charlie trailed off as Daniel answered the call.

“Hey Charlie, I’m glad you -” Brax started to talk.

“It’s not mummy,” Daniel spoke. “It’s me daddy.”

“Hey buddy,” Brax said. “How’s it going?”

“Not good,” Daniel answered. “I’ve been sick today so wasn’t at school.”

“Aww that’s not nice,” Brax spoke softly, sounding concerned. “Did mummy make you chicken soup?”

“Uh-huh,” Daniel nodded. “But it didn’t taste as nice as yours.”

Charlie heard Brax laughing through the phone. “Aw I bet it was still yummy,” Brax said. “And I hope you feel letter soon okay buddy?”

“Me too.” Daniel answered.

“Is mummy there to speak to?” Brax questioned and Daniel looked up to Charlie and handed the phone to her.

“He wants to talk with you.” Daniel told her.

Charlie bit her lip as looked to her phone before she stood up from the couch. “I’m going to see if Dex is staying for dinner,” Charlie said as she rubbed Daniel’s head. “Tell him I am busy.”

Daniel watched as she walked down the hall. “She said she -”

“I heard,” Brax sighed sadly. “Look buddy just tell your mummy that I love her and I’ll be home as soon as I can, okay?”

“Okay,” Daniel answered. “Does you love me too daddy?”

“Of course I do buddy.” Brax answered. “I’ll see you soon. Bye son.”

“Goodbye daddy.” Daniel said before hanging up the phone and wondering why his mother didn’t want to talk to Brax.

April was sitting on her bed, her knees up as Finn was lying propped up against them, April holding his little hands in hers. Xavier having left quickly after feeding Finn, seeing April didn’t really want to talk about anything other than Xavier being with Finn. “What did you think of daddy bubba?” April questioned, Finn staring at his mother with his big brown eyes. He made a face, looking a little unimpressed and April laughed at the timing. “Yeah mummy isn’t so sure on this either but we’ll just see how it turns out, hmm,” April rubbed his cheek softly before looking down to her phone. “And James isn’t texting mummy back either,” April exhaled. “So it looks like you are going to have to be my study buddy tonight,” April cooed as she picked up her history book. She opened it at the first section. “World War 2,” April read out loud. “You know much about the war?” April looked down to her son, Finn giving her a big gummy grin as his arms waved at his sides. “Yes?” April questioned. Finn babbled as he looked to the side before looking back to his mother, April laughing as she took this as a head shake. “Nah, mummy doesn’t know anything about the war either bubba,” April looked back to the book, reading out about the beginnings of the war. Finn started to whine and April sighed, putting the book down and looking at her son, Finn now grinning as he had his mother’s attention. “What bubba?” April rubbed his cheek. “You have to let mummy study. It’s important she does well in her exams so she can go to uni and become a doctor and we can get a nice big house and you can get all the nice toys you want,” April said taking her sons little hands back in hers. “And we can get you a puppy or a bunny rabbit, or maybe both because you’re my handsome little bubba and I’m going to spoil you rotten, hmm,” April smiled down at her son as he grinned back at her, hoping that she would be able to buy him things soon. She knew she didn’t mind but Bianca was paying for most everything for Finn, April’s part time job being put on hold once Finn was born so she could concentrate on her studies and of course being a good mother to her son. “So I know you want mummy’s attention but you need to give me just an hour to do some study then mummy will bath you, feed you and put you to bed, we got a deal?” April questioned and Finn gave a babble in response. “I’m taking that as a yes.” April said lifting her son from her knee and placing a kiss on his temple. She placed him in the centre of her bed, reaching for his little giraffe teddy and handing it to him, Finn clasping onto it and immediately putting the leg in his mouth. April gave a little laugh before picking her book back up and got started with her revision.

Thank you Sarah and Spotd1 for the comments.

Seventy-four

Charlie lifted Daniel up into her arms, Daniel having fallen asleep on the couch not long after dinner. He’d been sick again shortly after dinner before lying down on the couch, his head lying on Ruby’s legs. “You manage with him?” Ruby questioned. “I can take him to bed if you want.”

“Nah it’s fine, I’ve got him.” Charlie gave her daughter a smile before walking down to the hall to her bedroom, kicking the door open and walking into her room, lying Daniel down on her bed. He liked to sleep close to his mother when he sick and Charlie’s preferred having someone in next to her anyways, making her feel that little safer, even if it was her six year old son. She ran her hand over his head as his eyes fluttered.

“Mummy.” Daniel squeaked.

“It’s alright buddy. I’ve just moved you to bed.” Charlie told him, lying down next to her son for a while.

“Your bed?” Daniel questioned, his eyes flickering again but staying closed.

“Yeah mummy’s bed,” Charlie answered. “You just go back to sleep okay.”

“Mmmm,” Daniel nodded. “Uh why don’t you want to talk with daddy?”

Charlie bit her lip as she ran her hand over the side of his head. “I’m just upset that he left us here. Someone mummy doesn’t like is in town and I wanted daddy here to be with me.”

“Oh,” Daniel opened his eyes as his mouth went in an O shape. “Daddy said he loves you and he’ll be home soon so you will have him here with you.”

“Soon might be too late.” Charlie mumbled.

Daniel furrowed his eyebrows. “Is you still getting married and having the baby though?” Daniel wondered.

“Of course.” Charlie told him, Daniel smiling at the answer as his hand reached out and rested against Charlie’s little bump.

“And you give me a little sister just like Poppy?” Daniel little face lit up as he thought about it.

“I can’t decide that bud,” Charlie said. “But I am sure whatever we get you’re going to be the best big brother ever.”

“Yeah.” Daniel grinned before he yawned, his hand rubbed his tummy.

“You still feeling sick?” Charlie questioned and Daniel gave a little nod. “Right well you close your eyes and get some sleep and I’ll come back through soon to check on you,” Charlie told him, leaned down and placing a kiss on his cheek. “Goodnight sweetheart,” Charlie whispered as she stood up and left the room, leaving Daniel to sleep. She walked back down the hall and sat down on the couch next to Ruby. “So it seems like you and Dex have sorted thing out.”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled thankfully. “I guess we did anyways. He said he wants to talk about it again in 6 months time so...” Ruby raised her eyebrows.

“Ah he’ll be that sick of babysitting this one when he arrives that he won’t want any of his own for years.” Charlie laughed as she rubbed her stomach.

“Babysitting huh?” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “Does that mean you and Brax will be going out on lots of hot dates?”

“If he ever comes home.” Charlie muttered.

“He’s been gone like....not even two days,” Ruby exhaled. “And of course he’s going to come home. He has a fiancée, a baby on the way and Daniel here. His life is here.”

“You know he has you too,” Charlie told her. “He thinks the world of you Rubes.”

Ruby gave a little nod. “I know,” Ruby answered. “But it’ll be nice to see him with one of his own,” Ruby smiled as she put her hand on her mother’s stomach. “Mia or Freddie.”

“Freddie?” Charlie screwed her face up. “Definitely not but Mia is a lovely name,” Charlie smiled. “In fact it’s my favourite of all the suggestions so far.”

“Well of course,” Ruby said. “It was my suggestion.” Ruby gave her mother a cheeky grin and Charlie laughed before picking up the remote, going to see if there were any movies coming on the TV that they could watch together.

April put the bottle into Finn’s mouth, Finn’s hands coming up and gripping over his mothers as he drank his breakfast. April walked through to the table and sat down, joining Bianca and Kaya as they ate their breakfast. “I’m going to the supermarket after school if you need me to get anything.” Bianca told her sister before taking a drink of her orange juice.

“Uhm, nappies,” April answered. “And I only have about half a pack of baby wipes left and we’re running pretty low on formula.” April moved the bottle from hand to the other so she could reach over to take a drink of her orange juice, while still feeding her son.

“Right,” Bianca raised her eyebrows. “So much for breastfeeding. That would save me money on formula.”

“I’m sorry but you know it just wasn’t possible for me to breastfeed and go back to school. I could hardly express during class, could I?” April glanced at her sister.

“I suppose not,” Bianca exhaled. “And it is so my handsome little nephew can eat.”

“Yes exactly,” April replied. “And it’s not going to be forever. I will pay my way for Finn as soon as I can.”

“I know.” Bianca gave her sister a smile.

“April,” Kaya butted in, looking up to her Auntie. “Where’s your best friend?”

April screwed her face up a little, looking puzzled at Kaya’s question. “Rubes will be at home having breakfast with her mummy and Daniel.”

“No,” Kaya shook her head. “Not Ruby. The boy with long hair.”

“Ah James,” April laughed. “He’ll be at his house I guess.” April sighed sadly as she looked down to her son who was still drinking his milk.

“Everything alright with you and James?” Bianca questioned.

April gave a little shrug. “I haven’t heard from him in a few days,” April mumbled. “I....Monday after the fundraiser he....he spent the night.” April looked up to her sister, raising her eyebrows and Bianca’s eyes widened, knowing what she was getting at.

“I thought I heard him leaving early Tuesday,” Bianca pursed her lips. “So you haven’t heard from him since you....” Bianca raised her eyebrows and April looked down, her head shaking. “Oh April.” Bianca muttered.

“What she do mummy?” Kaya wondered.

“Nothing,” Bianca shook her head. “You go brush your teeth. April will be taking you to day care soon,” Kaya sighed as she jumped down from the table and ran to the bathroom. “Were you safe?” Bianca questioned. “Because we know the consequences of unprotected sex, don’t we?”

“He didn’t happen because of unprotected sex,” April retorted. “You know what happened for me to get him.”

“I do, sorry,” Bianca pursed her lips. “Well maybe he’s just busy.”

“It’s not like him to not check in though,” April sighed. “He’d usually give me a text every day.” April pursed her lips. It now a few days since she’d heard from James.

“So you think something has happen to him?” Bianca questioned. “Or is it he’s got what he’s wanted and now he’s....” Bianca cleared her throat, not wanting to say it but April knew what she was thinking.

“I dunno,” April shrugged. “He seemed like a sweet decent guy so I....” April sighed lightly. “There has to be an explanation, right?”

“I’m sure there will be.” Bianca answered but April could tell by the tone of her voice that she wasn’t convinced. She sighed lightly as she took the empty bottle from Finn’s mouth, sitting him up on her knee as she rubbed his back gently.

“Well I need to get ready for school,” April sighed as she stood up. “Take him.” April handed Finn to Bianca before walking back to her bedroom hoping that James hadn’t lost interest in her now he’d had his night of fun.

Thanks Spotd1 and Sarah. :)

Seventy-five

April pushed the buggy as Kaya was skipping next to her as she told her about her day at day care. “April,” Xavier ran over to them. “Hey,” Xavier smiled. “How did the exam go?”

“Ugh,” April shrugged. “That was.....hard.”

“That’s one word for it,” Xavier replied. “So what’s on for the rest of the day?”

“I was just going to take this one to the park,” April said, running her hand through Kaya’s ponytail. “Maybe we can grab some bread and feed the ducks, huh?” April looked down to Kaya and Kaya nodded, a grin on her face.

“Sounds like a good day,” Xavier smiled down at her. “I can join you if you’d like?”

“You want to spend more time with Finn?” April questioned, looking down to her son who was nappy in his buggy.

“Uh,” Xavier sort of shrugged. “Well he’s asleep so I don’t really want to bug him, but yeah eh...” Xavier cleared his throat. “That’s why I want to come.”

“He’s not your best friend,” Kaya glanced up at Xavier, her face screwing up. “Where is he? I like him better.”

“He’s busy,” April answered quickly, trying not to sound sad at the thought that she hadn’t heard from James since he’d left a couple mornings before. “And Xavier is Finn’s daddy so he wants to spend some time with him.”

Kaya screwed her face up. “I don’t see my daddy,” Kaya sighed. “Finn no need him. James is nice to Finn.”

“I know he is but he’s not here is he?” April snapped and Xavier pursed his lips as he looked away, trying to hide a smirk. Xavier of course being glad James seemed to have done a disappearing act, meaning it would be easier to get April on side.

“Don’t need to shout.” Kaya frowned up at April.

“Sorry,” April glanced down to her phone but wasn’t that surprised that there was nothing there from James. “Right, you are coming with?” April looked back to Xavier and Xavier nodded. “You want to push the buggy?”

“Uhm....nah not really.” Xavier mumbled as they started to walk towards the beach, a glint in Xavier’s eye as he moved a little closer to April.

Charlie and Daniel were sitting the hospital corridor, waiting for his appointment. Daniel was still sick and after 4 days, Charlie decided she should take him to be checked over. Although it seemed on Monday night that Daniel was perking up a little, he woke up on Tuesday worse than ever, and now on Thursday it still hadn’t eased. “I’m really cold mummy.” Daniel spoke quietly as he cuddled into her.

Charlie wrapped her arms around his body as rubbed her hands up and down. “We’re going to see the doctor. Maybe he’ll give you some medicine so you feel better.”

“Not like my last medicine,” Daniel widened his eyes in fright, clearly worried about getting his chemo again. “I won’t do it again. I won’t mummy.”

“I know you didn’t like it,” Charlie said. “But it made you feel better didn’t it?” Charlie questioned and Daniel nodded lightly. “I don’t think you are that sick again but maybe so you get better it’ll be something that you need to do.”

“No, I won’t.” Daniel sounded adamant and of course Charlie understood no one would want to go through chemo again.

“We can take Daniel through now,” Charlie looked up as she saw Sid before her. “Alright buddy?” Sid smiled down at the boy as they walked into the room.

“No,” Daniel squeaked as Charlie lifted him up onto the bed. “I’m sick.” Daniel pouted.

“Well you’ve came to the right place to be checked over,” Sid gave him a little smile. “Can you lay down and let me see your tummy?” Sid questioned. Daniel lay down and lifted up his t-shirt as Charlie sat down on the chair by the bed.

Sid put some gloves on before he lightly pushed on Daniel’s stomach, moving his hands every so often, pressing down on a different part of his stomach. “How long has he been sick?”

“Since Monday,” Charlie answered. “Well Monday he complained he felt sick but it was Tuesday he was sick for the first time.”

Sid gave a little nod. “And he’s not eaten anything new?”

“No.” Charlie shook her head as Sid took the stethoscope from around his neck and put it in his ears.

“This will be a little cold.” Sid said as he put in on Daniel’s stomach, Daniel gasping as he breathed in. Sid listened for a moment before asking Daniel to talk a few deep breaths.

“Is it my cancer back?” Daniel questioned as Sid took the stethoscope off.

“You can sit back up,” Sid said. “I don’t think it’s the cancer buddy, don’t worry about that.” Sid rubbed his arm and Daniel gave a little smile.

“Well that’s a relief.” Charlie exhaled.

Sid gave her an understanding smile. “He’s just picked up a bug,” Sid diagnosed. “I know it seems like it’s taking a while to pass but that’s because of his cancer,” Sid exhaled. “His immune system isn’t as strong as it once was so he is more likely to pick up bugs and they will take longer to leave his system.”

Charlie nodded, understandingly. “But it’s just a bug that’ll pass in time?”

“Yep,” Sid nodded. “I’d say a couple more days. Keep him taking lots of fluids and get him to eat small dry foods often,” Sid said. “And plenty cartoons in front on the TV is in order huh?” Sid nudged Daniel and he managed a little grin as he nodded.

“I like The Flash ones best,” Daniel told him. “And transformers. Dexter likes to play them with me.”

“He does huh,” Sid smiled before looking back to Charlie. “See Rubes and Dex have sorted their lovers tiff.” Sid gave a little laugh.

“Till the next one.” Charlie raised her eyebrows and Sid stifled a laugh.

“Ah fighting keeps the passion alive,” Sid took the gloves off and threw them into the bin. He opened the top drawer and took out a lollipop. “Take this for when you feel better mate.” Sid handed Daniel the orange flavour lolly.

“Thank you.” Daniel spoke quietly.

“You’re welcome,” Sid smiled. “Now, off you go home and get those cartoons on.” Sid ruffled his hair before Charlie stood up from the chair and lifted Daniel down from the bed.

“Thanks Sid.” Charlie gave him a smile, sounding relieved that Daniel just had a bug that would pass. She took Daniel’s hand in hers and they left the hospital to make the short trip home.

April pushed Kaya on the swing as Xavier was leaning against the pole, staring into April’s eyes as she smiled at her niece’s enjoyment. “You can pick him up if you want.” April glanced at the buggy to her son who was staring up at the scene.

“He looks comfy,” Xavier shrugged before looking back to April. “So maybe later we can grab a bite to eat.”

“Uhm,” April pursed her lips. “Bianca’s already got dinner planned so we need to go home.”

“I’m sure she won’t mind if you don’t turn up.” Xavier exhaled.

“You mean me and Finn, I take it?” April questioned.

“It not as if Finn can eat anything,” Xavier laughed. “You can leave him at home with Bianca and we can eat together. You might enjoy my company. It’ll be like old times.”

Xavier,” April sighed as she stopped pushing the swing. “If you are only hanging around because you want to get me back then stop this now,” April spat. “I’ve already told you I am not interested and it’s not fair on Finn to use him like that.”

“It’s not like I’ve bonded,” Xavier laughed. “I’m not using Finn, I...I just want you.”

“Well if you can’t figure it out already Finn and I are a package, so...” April raised her eyebrows. “Just....just go home Xavier.” Xavier took a deep breath before he turned and walked away, leaving April with a tear in her eyes. Kaya turned her head and looked up to her Auntie, her little eyebrows furrowing. She jumped off the swing and ran around to her Auntie and wrapping her arms around her, April bending down and welcoming the comfort from her niece.

Thank you Sarah and Spotd1 for commenting. :)

Seventy-six

Bianca walked out of her bedroom, seeing the light from the living room glaring under the door. She walked over to the couch and sat down next to April. “What you doing out here?”

April gave a little shrug. “I just couldn’t sleep.” April was moving her phone around in her hand as she spoke.

“You still not heard from James?” Bianca questioned and April shook her head.

“I slept with him and now he hasn’t got back in touch,” April’s voice broke as tears rolled down her cheeks. “I really thought he was different,” April cried. “But maybe he was just too good to be true. He got what he wanted and left. It’s what you think, right?”

“It’s a possibility,” Bianca decided it best not to lie. “But there could be an explanation for all this. Just give him a bit more time.”

April sniffed back as she wiped her hand across her face. “I know we haven’t been together long but it....it just felt right,” April said. “I could see us together years down the line. Getting married, having a couple of children together.”

“It could still happen.” Bianca murmured.

April gave a little shrug. “I guess. But, it’s doubtful. He probably got what he wanted and was clearly disappointed so...”

“Aww April,” Bianca wrapped her arm around her sister. “He’ll get in touch soon, I’m sure,” Bianca rubbed her arm. “So, Kaya tells me Xavier was at the park with you for a while.”

“Hmm,” April nodded. “I thought he was trying to bond with Finn but it turns out he was just trying to get into my pants just like James.”

“Look Xavier is a tool and I’d tell you in a heartbeat not to get back with him but James is a decent guy,” Bianca told her. “He’ll be in touch soon.”

“Nah,” April shook her head. “I need to face the facts,” April clicked her tongue. “Finn is going to be the only guy in my life from now on. I mean, you and Kaya seem to be managing just fine without a man in your life so I’m sure Finn and I will do just fine too.”

“Believe me April there are times where I wish I had a man in my life.” Bianca mumbled.

April stifled a laugh. “Getting a bit frustrated there sister?”

Bianca raised her eyebrows. “I’m going back to bed.” Bianca stood up from the couch, leaving April sitting alone on the couch, shaking her head as she laughed at her sister clearly ignoring the questioned.

Poppy was crawling over the floor making her way to the couch where her mother and Charlie were sitting. “Thanks for coming over.” Charlie smiled at her friend before looking down to Poppy who was staring up at her, her big green eyes all wide as she put her hands on the ends of the couch.

“No worries,” Leah answered, watching her daughter seeing it looked like she was about to push herself up. She looked back up to Charlie, seeing that she looked really nervous. “If you don’t want to go out you don’t have too,” Leah told her. Charlie was still extremely scared about going out, the only time she’d been out in the past week was when she had Daniel at the hospital the day before and she drove there so it’s not like she was walking far where Grant could see her. “This can surely be done another time?”

“Apparently not,” Charlie shrugged. “It’s the only time the plumber had till next month so if I don’t go down now we’re not going to have water when we move in next week.”

“Surely there’s another plumber you can use?” Leah questioned. “Or if it had to be this guy then I can go to the house for you.”

“No, I need to go,” Charlie said. “I can’t let Grant scare me from being out in my own home town and it’s been a while since he first saw me. Surely if he was going to do anything he’d....well he’d do it sooner, right?”

Leah shrugged. “Maybe, I....” Leah trailed off, not really knowing what to say.

“I need to go,” Charlie took a deep breath before standing up, Leah being around at the apartment to watch Daniel, who was still home sick from school. “He’s asleep and....” Charlie rubbed the back of her head. “Well you know everything anyways so I’ll be back soon hopefully.” Charlie took a second deep breath as she picked up her handbag and flung it around her shoulder before she walked out of the apartment.

April was sitting in the hospital, holding her son in her arms, Finn holding his giraffe teddy tightly. She was glancing around the hall, waiting to be called for their appointment when she saw him. His big green eyes looking sunken in and tired, his hair tied back in a messy ponytail. She went to shout out his name but stopped when she saw he was looking right at her. She gave him a weak smile and he returned one before walking over. “Hey,” James sat down on the chair next to April, smiling down at Finn as he rubbed his cheek, Finn grinning up at him. April stared at James for a moment without saying anything. “Look I’m sorry about not being in touch this week.”

“It’s fine,” April mumbled. “I get it.”

“Get what?” James looked a little confused.

“That’s your not interested.” April sighed.

“What?” James rubbed the back of his head in confusion. “April I am so interested, I like really really really like you,” James told her. “We have an amazing connection, we....we just slept together.”

“Yeah then you practically disappear from the face of the earth,” April moved Finn slightly on her knee, the boy giving a few babbles. “So I get it. You’re not interested anymore. It obviously wasn’t good for you.”

“Well you are right there. It wasn’t good,” James retorted and April widened her eyes. “It was amazing, April. I....I want to be with you.”

“So then why ignore me for the best part of a week?” April questioned.

“I’m sorry. I’ve been meaning to call you. I really have but I’ve practically been living here,” James ran on hand over the other as she spoke. “My grandma,” James exhaled. “She had a bad fall and she’s...” James shook his head as his eyes welled up. “She’s not in a good way.”

“God James I’m sorry,” April gasped. “I....”

“I’m not a bad guy April,” James told her. “I’d never sleep with you then just never call you again. I want to be with you and little dude,” James said. “But my grandma is my whole life. If I lost her right now I...I’m not ready to lose her. This woman has brought me up. She took me in when mum died and....” James trailed off, April hearing his voice was about to break.

“I understand,” April rubbed his arm lightly. “You have to be there for her right now.”

“I know I need to make time for you and little dude too but this week has just been...well I’ve just been by her side. I’ve not really been thinking.” James cleared a lump from his throat.

April opened her mouth to reply but was spoken over by the doctor. “Finn Scott.”

“I need to go.” April stood up from the chair.

“Is everything alright with little dude?” James questioned.

“Yeah, he’s just getting some injections,” April told him. “Uhm, when we are done I can come back and we can talk more?” April questioned, her hand gently squeezing his shoulder. James gave her a smile as he nodded before April walked down the corridor with her son to get his injections, smiling to herself that she hadn’t lost James after all.

Charlie was walking home from being at the new house. Her pace was faster than normal and her eyes were constantly looking around her. She glanced down to her phone as it rang, sighing as she saw Brax’s name was on the screen. She took a deep breath as her lips pursed. She hadn’t spoken to him for almost a week now, any texts he’d sent had been read but un-replied to. “Best not answer,” Charlie froze in panic as she heard his voice. “You are busy.” Grant smirked as he put his hand on Charlie’s arm and span Charlie around to face him. Before Charlie had the chance to scream out for help his other hand went over her mouth, silencing her.

Thank you Sarah, Spotd1 and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments.

Seventy-seven

Ruby put the bowl down on the breakfast bar, Daniel having weet-bix with a little milk. He’d woken up feeling a little better, but was still complaining of the sickly feeling. Ruby had to keep to her mother’s rules so she gave him a little something to eat. “Ruby is we gonna go see mummy?” Daniel questioned as he picked up his spoon as Ruby nodded, taking a bite of her toast.

“Once we are done with breakfast we can go see her.” Ruby told him.

“And she’s still got the baby ay?” Daniel questioned. Ruby pursed her lips as she took a drink of her orange juice.

“Eat your breakfast up buddy.” Ruby rubbed Daniel’s head as she spoke before they both turned their heads as they heard a key in the door.

“Daddy.” Daniel shouted as he jumped down from the stool and ran into Brax’s arms.

“Brax,” Ruby raised her eyebrows, looking at Brax, seeing he had a bunch of roses in his hand. “I was just about to call you.”

“Oh yeah, why?” Brax questioned as he put Daniel back down on the floor, ruffling his hair as he continued to cuddle into him.

“Daddy I’m still a bit sick.” Daniel sighed.

“Aw I’m sorry buddy,” Brax exhaled. “You’ll be better soon,” Brax told him before he ran back over to the stool, climbing up to eat his breakfast. “So what’s up?” Brax looked back to Ruby. “Where’s your mum?”

“Uhm,” Ruby pursed her lips. “You should probably go to the hospital.” Ruby spoke quietly and Brax widened his eyes in panic.

“The hospital?” Brax questioned. “Rubes, what’s going on? What’s happened?”

“Just go see mum.” Ruby told him.

“But she’s okay?” Brax’s eye started stinging with tears. “And the baby? God Rubes tell me the baby is okay?”

“She won’t tell me that either.” Daniel sighed.

“Just go, Brax.” Ruby told him, Brax seeing a steely glare in Ruby’s eyes.

“Can I go with daddy?” Daniel questioned, his hands raising in the air a little.

“No,” Ruby answered. “We’ll go later. Brax and mummy are going to need to talk bud.” Ruby ran her hand over his hair.

“Aw but she’s my mummy,” Daniel sighed. “Daddy can’t I come?”

“Uh,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “Rubes will bring you later, eh. I uhm...I’m gonna go.” Brax said and Ruby gave him a nod before he left the apartment, the bunch of roses coming with him. He could feel his heart beating through his chest as he hit the button for the lift, hoping and praying that Charlie and the baby were okay and that more importantly right now, Charlie would want to talk to him.

April was sitting at the edge of the pool, her feet dangling in the water. James swam up to her and parted her legs, standing in between them. “Thanks.” James smiled up at her as April wrapped her legs around him.

“For?” April screwed her face up.

“Getting me to come here with you,” James answered. “I did need a break from that hospital, so thanks,” James flashed another smile, April feeling a funny feeling in the pit of her stomach as she felt a rather large smile etching on her face. James wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled into the pool, April giving a little squeal as her arms wrapped around his neck. James stifled a laugh before he placed a soft kiss on James’ lips, James smiling into the kiss, letting it deepen a little.

“Mmm,” James pulled back, walking backwards in the pool, April staying in his arms. “But when I do go see her this afternoon how would you like to come with me?”

“You want me to meet your grandmother?” April questioned.

“Yeah,” James answered. “You can bring little dude too, if you want.”

“He’s in the city with Bianca and Kaya today,” April told him. “So I don’t expect them to be back till late.”

“So you have the house to yourself?” James questioned and April bit her lip as she nodded, James raising his eyebrows before they shared another kiss.

“But James,” April pulled back. “Your grandmother. She doesn’t mind that you are dating a seventeen year old with a baby?”

“Nah,” James shook his head. “As long as I am happy she’s happy.” James gave a little smile.

“Well that’s nice to know,” April said. “I’m looking forward to meeting her.”

“I just wish it was under better circumstances,” James sighed. “You know I wish she wasn’t in the hospital.” James pursed his lips as he looked to the side.

“She’ll be alright though?” April questioned.

James shrugged before looking back to April. “She’s shattered her hip bone so she needs a hip bone replacement.”

“How can you replace a hip bone?” April looked puzzled.

“I dunno. You wanna be the doctor. You tell me,” James mumbled. “But her ribs cracked and puncture her lung, she broke her arm and cracked her jaw.”

“Must have been some fall.” April widened her eyes at the extent of his grandmother injuries.

“Yeah,” James exhaled. “She old and frail anyways so she more brittle eh.” James sighed.

“Poor grandma,” April sounded sympathetic as she spoke. “What flowers does she like? We should take her flowers. I should....I should take her flowers.”

“She likes any kind,” James gave a sort of shrug. “Although not lilies because they were used at mums funeral and....you know....” James trailed off, April seeing sadness in his eyes.

“Not lilies,” April gave a little nod. “Surprised you know the name of flowers.”

“I’m full of surprises.” James laughed before kissing April again.

Brax walked down the hall, picking up his pace as he saw Sid walking out of Charlie’s room. “Sid,” Brax shouted over to him, practically running to him. “What’s happened? How are Charlie and the baby?”

Sid glanced at Brax for a moment, his lips pursed as he was silent. “It’s probably best I just let you in and talk to Charlie.”

“Sid.” Brax exhaled.

“She was brought in unconscious,” Sid answered. “She was out for about 2 hours before waking up.”

“And that’s it?” Brax questioned. “She has no more injuries?”

“She has a black eye,” Sid told him. “But physically, Charlie is fine. Mentally....” Sid shook his head.

“But what happened?” Brax demanded to know what was going on. “Was it....oh God did he get to her?” Brax held his hands over his mouth as he exhaled.

“She’s not saying much about what happened,” Sid told him. “Maybe she just wants to talk to you.”

“What about the baby?” Brax was almost scared to ask but he needed to know about his child. “She’s....the baby’s okay?”

Sid pursed his lips as he looked down. “Right now, I can’t give you a definite answer. The baby’s heart rate is extremely low,” Sid stared at Brax for a moment, noting his nostrils had started to flare in upset. “I’m sorry but it could go either way.”

Brax immediately felt a lump in throat as his eyes stung with tears. “I uhm....” Brax pointed to the room and Sid gave a little nod, watching as Brax walked into the room to see his fiancée.

Thanks Sarah, Spotd1 and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments.

Seventy-eight

Charlie stared at Brax for a moment, her eyes glancing down at the bunch of roses before looking back up to his face. “Charlie,” Brax spoke softly. “I am so sorry.” Brax walked over to her, putting the flowers down on the bedside table. He leaned down to give her a kiss but Charlie moved her head to the side, Brax’s lips brushing past her cheek.

“How’s Casey?” Charlie mumbled, her gaze staying away from Brax.

“He’s fine,” Brax answered. “Been lying on the couch all week playing Xbox and ordering Heath, Tash and myself about.” Brax stifled a laugh.

“Well as long as he’s alright huh?” Charlie spoke coldly, her gaze still not meeting Brax’s face.

“Baby,” Brax exhaled, his hand taking hers. Charlie pulled her hand away almost immediately. “I’m sorry. I am so, so, so very sorry.”

Charlie pursed her lips as she felt a tear in her eye. “I uhm...I want to be left alone.”

“No,” Brax shook his head as he sat down on the chair next to the bed. “Baby what....what happened?”

“Like you care,” Charlie retorted, her hand resting on her stomach where Brax could see wires were coming from. He glanced at the machine they led to before looking back to Charlie. “Just go back and be with your family.”

“My family is right here,” Brax said, his hand going onto Charlie’s bump. “Pip has grown in the last week.” Brax said, trying to soften Charlie.

“I really want you to leave right now,” Charlie sniffed back looking around to Brax, Brax gasping at seeing how bad of a black eye she had. “I can’t be stressed. It’s not good for the baby and talking to you is only going to get me stressed and angry and if you still want to be a father then you don’t want that.”

“Well of course I still want to be a father,” Brax sounded like his voice was going to break. “Sweetheart, please just....we can talk calmly. We can,” Brax gave a little nod. “Hmm you need to tell me what happened. Did he...was this Grant’s doing?”

“You don’t need to act like you care,” Charlie retorted. “Now if you don’t leave I’ll hit the button to get the nurse in and you’ll be made to leave.”

Brax pursed his lips upset that Charlie was so cold towards him but knew he needed to expect she wouldn’t be 100 per cent happy with him. “I’m going to sit right out there. Right outside the door until you are ready to talk to me.” Brax told her. Charlie glanced at him before she looked away, her right hand thumb and index finger rolling her engagement ring around her finger. Brax exhaled as he stood up before leaning forward and placing a kiss on Charlie’s temple. He lingered over her for a moment before he walked out of the room, slumping down the wall and sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall and waiting.

April took a deep breath as stopped outside of the hospital room. “It’ll go fine,” James rubbed her back. “She’ll love you,” April pursed her lips as she looked up to James. James tucked her hair behind her ear before placing a soft kiss on her lips. “I promise.” James took her hand in his and gave it a little squeeze before they walked into the room.

“Jay-bug is that you?” The lady looked around to him.

“It’s me Grams,” James leaned down and kiss her cheek. “I brought someone to meet you.” James gestured to April and the woman looked around.

“Oh she is even more gorgeous that you said,” Olive smiled at April. “I’m Olive and it’s lovely to put a face to the name. Jay-bug has told me so much about you.”

April tried not to laugh at the nickname James didn’t tell her about. “Likewise. You are a real inspiration to James.”

“Ah he’s the one that inspires me.” Olive said.

“Uhm, these are for you.” April held the flowers a little higher.

“Oh you didn’t need to get me anything.” Olive replied.

“I’ll get them in water.” James opened the bedside cabinet and took out the vase before taking the flowers from April and walking through to the bathroom.

“So James tells me that you have a son?” Olive questioned.

“Yeah,” April gave a smile just thinking about him. “Finn. He’s 17 weeks.” April took her phone from her pocket and showed her a picture of her son.

“Oh he’s like his mother,” Olive admired the photo. “What a gorgeous little boy you have dear.”

“Thanks.” April smiled appreciatively.

“Not fancy bringing him in today?” Olive questioned.

“He’s with my sister and her daughter in the city,” April replied, tucking her hair behind her ear. “But I’m sure that I can bring him to see you soon.”

“Will be nice,” Olive said. “You and Finn are around my Jay-bug a lot so I’d like to get to know you both as well.”

“Likewise.” April replied.

“And thanks for getting him to go out for a bit this morning,” Olive gave her a smile of thanks. “Being cooped up in her all the time isn’t good for him. He should have been out there seeing you and this lovely little boy.”

“He’s just worried about you,” April answered. “He’d be a wreck if he lost you.”

“Oh please it’ll take more than a fall down the stairs to get shot of me,” Olive laughed. “There’s plenty more life in me yet.”

“Yeah I’m starting to see that.” April chuckled before glancing to the bathroom to see James trying to perfectly arrange the flowers. Olive watched her as a smile etched on her face, Olive also getting a smile on her face, seeing how April was looking at her grandson.

“Daddy,” Daniel laughed as he ran down the corridor. “Why you sitting on the floor out here?”

Brax looked up to the kids before standing up. “Uhm,” Brax shared a glance with Ruby. “Mummy just wanted some alone time.”

Ruby raised her eyebrows as she put her hands onto Daniel’s shoulders. “Buddy why don’t you go with daddy to the canteen. Get a drink or something?”

“No,” Daniel screwed his face up as he turned his head to face his sister. “I wanna see my mummy.”

“Aw c’mon bud,” Brax nudged his arm. “You call tell me all about what you’ve been up to this week.”

“I told you,” Daniel furrowed his eyebrows. “I’ve been sick. I’ve just been at home is all.” Daniel sighed.

“Well how about I tell you all about how uncle Casey has been ordering us all around while he sat at played Xbox?”

“Did he?” Daniel gave a little giggle as Brax nodded. “Well can’t you tell me later? I just want to my see mummy.” Daniel pouted sadly as he bowed his head.

“Mummy and Rubes want to talk about boring stuff,” Ruby told him. “But once we’ve talked I promise I will come for you, okay?” Ruby ruffled his hair and Daniel sighed.

“You to come right away, okay Ruby.” Daniel glared up at her and Ruby nodded her head before he walked off with Brax. Ruby watched them walk down the corridor before she walked into the room.

“Hey,” Ruby greeted her mother. “Want to tell me why your fiancé is sitting outside and isn’t in here with you?”

“Want to tell me how he could choose Perth over staying here for me?” Charlie retorted as she turned to face her daughter.

Ruby pursed her lips. “He made a choice and went with it,” Ruby shrugged. “And I bet he’s regretting that now. Don’t punish him even more than he’s already going to be hating on himself.”

“Why not?” Charlie questioned. “I needed him and he bailed on me. What does that say for future situations?”

“I don’t think he’d leave again,” Ruby told him. “And okay maybe he should have stayed to support you but people are allowed to slip up and he’s made once little mistake.”

“Yeah and this mistake could have cost him his child,” Charlie replied, feeling her eyes stinging. “I’m not out of the woods yet. I could still lose this child and if he was here....maybe, maybe Grant wouldn’t have got to me and this child’s life wouldn’t be in danger. He obviously doesn’t care about is enough and I don’t know if....” Charlie trailed off, her lips pursing.

“Of course he cares,” Ruby answered. “He adores this family,” Ruby told her mother. “And don’t forget what he did for Daniel. He might not have been right now if it wasn’t for Brax,” Ruby said and Charlie clicked her tongue as she rolled her engagement ring around her finger. “Doesn’t that show how much he cares?” Ruby questioned. Charlie remained silent, her gaze looking downwards. “So, you want to tell me what actually happened?” Ruby decided to change the subject, knowing Charlie would forgive Brax in her own time.

“What does it matter?” Charlie mumbled.

“Of course it matters,” Ruby exhaled. “And you are going to have to tell the police anyways so c’mon, you can practise the statement on me.” Ruby gave her mother a smile as she leaned forward and rubbed Charlie’s arm, hoping her mother would tell someone about what happened.

Thank you Sarah, Spotd1, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sabrina for the comments.

Seventy-nine

Charlie walked into the apartment and walked straight down the hall towards the bedroom. “Where are you going?” Brax questioned.

“To bed,” Charlie glanced back at him. “Is that a problem?”

“Well it’s not even 7.30 yet. It’s early that’s all.” Brax put the bunch of roses down on the breakfast bar. Charlie gave a little shrug before walking the rest of the distance to her room, the door slamming shut.

“Mummy I want to come.” Daniel shouted as he ran down the hall, going into the bedroom behind her.

“Should she even be home?” Brax looked to Ruby as he reached for the vase to put the flowers in.

“They wouldn’t let her come home if she shouldn’t be here,” Ruby exhaled. “It’s just...there’s nothing the doctors can do for the baby anyways. What’s going to happen is going to happen.”

Brax took a deep breath, filling the vase with water. “I wish she would talk to me.”

“She will,” Ruby exhaled. “Just don’t crowd her. Let her talk when she’s ready.”

Brax gave a little nod, taking the vase over to the breakfast. He picked up the roses and started to arrange them in the vase. “Can you tell me what happened?”

Ruby pursed her lips, not really feeling like it was her place but she wasn’t sure when Charlie would tell Brax, if ever. She gestured over to the couch and they walked over, both of them taking a seat. “Grant uhm, he got her. He was taking her down to a boat, she reckons,” Ruby pursed her lips. “They were on the docks anyways. Mum struggled but eventually got away from his grasp. He obviously didn’t want her to leave so he stuck his foot out. My tripped and fell over the edge of the pier. She fell a couple of feet,” Ruby paused for a moment, seeing the distress on Brax’s face. She took his hand into hers and squeezed it in comfort. “She’s not sure if she fell on the boat, a boat ramp or a concrete block but she hit something, stomach first and hard. She banged her head against something metal and was out for a couple of hours according to Sid.”

Brax took a deep breath. “I shouldn’t have let that happen. I should.....I should have been here.”

“There’s nothing to say you would have stopped him if you were here,” Ruby answered. “And it could have been a lot worse. He could have....he could have hurt her like before.”

“Yeah well he could have caused her to lose our baby,” Brax retorted. “So I’m pretty sure that’s as bad as it can get,” Brax cleared a lump from his throat. “I’m never going to forgive myself if she loses this baby.”

Ruby pursed her lips, not really knowing what else to say. “Mum is strong and I’m pretty sure Daniel has proved her kids are pretty strong too. You’ll have a little fighter.” Ruby squeezed his hand again and Brax gave her a weak smile, hoping that the baby would okay.

April put the bowls down on the table before taking a seat opposite James. “Mmm,” James smelt the dish. “Smells and looks incredible.”

“It’s just a carbonara,” April replied as she picked up her fork. “Nothing fancy.”

“Well looks great,” James smiled before picking up his fork. “Thanks for cooking for me hun.” James said before taking a forkful.

“You’re most welcome,” April said. “Jay-bug,” April added with a laugh.

“I wondered how long it would take for that to come up.” James mumbled.

“Cute nickname.” April raised her eyebrows. “Is Grams the only lucky one who gets to call you Jay-bug?”

“Yeah,” James laughed. “Well my mum called me Jay-bug from when I was born. I wasn’t ever really James unless I got in trouble. James Andrew King if I was in real big trouble,” James said and April chucked. “Anyways grams always calls me Jay-bug. Still seems like I am 6 to her with a name like that.”

“I’m sure you’ll always be her little Jay-bug no matter how old you are,” April replied before taking a drink of her water. “You are always going to be a baby to your grandparents.”

“I guess,” James took more of his pasta. “Finn must seem unborn to you then.” James gave a little.

“Oh I am very much aware he is here,” April stifled a laugh. “But I wouldn’t swap him.” April pursed her lips.

“You don’t sound so sure about that.” James replied.

“Do I wish I was older when he was born?” April gave a little nod. “And I could maybe have done with Xavier not being his father....” April raised her eyebrows.

“I thought he wanted to be involved now?” James gave April a questioning look.

“He only wanted to be around me,” April sighed. “Get me back. He didn’t care about Finn.”

“So he was practically using little dude to get to you?” James rubbed the back of his head as April nodded. “Nice,” James murmured. “Little dude will be so proud to have him as a father eh.”

“Well I’m hoping doesn’t need to know about Xav,” April bit her lip. “You know that he might have....he might someone else to call daddy.”

“I’d be proud for him to call me daddy.” James said and April gave him a smile. They’d only been dating a very short amount of time, but she knew she’d found the person she was going to spend the rest of her with.

Charlie walked down the hall into the living room, Brax turning his head as he heard the floorboard creak. He smiled softly at her, Charlie wearing her bed shorts and an old t-shirt of Brax’s. “I was just about to come to bed.” Brax told her as she sat down next to him on the couch before turning her body to the side, putting the cushion behind her back and leaning against the arm of the couch. She put her feet up onto Brax’s knee, Brax looking down to them before looking back to Charlie.

“Can you massage my feet?” Charlie questioned, her hands resting on her bump.

“Uhm,” Brax looked a little confused before he gently started massaging her right foot. “Does this mean I am forgiven?” Brax looked to her hopefully.

“It means I want a foot massage.” Charlie answered.

Brax gave a little nod as he pressed a little harder on the sole of her foot. He looked up to her, but tried not to stare at her black eye. “You know I....I made a choice and in hindsight it was the wrong one,” Brax exhaled. “Case is doing okay and Tash and Heath would have coped fine with him.”

Charlie pursed her lips, her hand rubbing her stomach. “Tell me something that I don’t know.”

Brax sighed lightly. “I’m here for you now, Charlie. For you, Daniel, this baby and Rubes,” Brax told her. “But I’m only human. We make mistakes and that’s all this was. A mistake, a stupid choice.”

“It was a pretty big one,” Charlie mumbled. “You know it could have been a lot worse and you weren’t even here to try to stop him,” Charlie felt herself welling up. “We are supposed to be getting married. We are having...” Charlie’s hand stopped rubbing her stomach. “We are starting a family and you....you put that in jeopardy by not being her for me when I needed you most,” Charlie said. “How am I supposed to believe that you are going to be here for me – for us – in the future?”

“Because I love you so much and I am never going to leave you again,” Brax stopped rubbing her foot as he turned his body to the side a little. “I promise you that.”

Charlie pursed her lips as she gave a little shrug. “Promises can be easily broken,” Charlie retorted. “After all you did promise you wouldn’t let Grant get near me again and....” Charlie shrugged. “Broken promises.”

“I don’t know how I can convince you apart from telling you how much I love you and our kids and the life we have,” Brax exhaled. “And....and don’t forget for what I did for your son.”

“And I’m forever grateful for that but it still doesn’t prove that you’ll be there for us in the future. What if Casey or Heath call for you again?” Charlie questioned. “You’ll go, you’ll leave and we are not playing second best for you.”

Brax gave a little snigger. “I don’t know what else I can say,” Brax sighed as he moved her feet from his knee and stood up. “I’m trying here Charlie and maybe you are going to have to meet me half way on this.” Brax seethed before he walked over to the door and left the apartment.

Thanks for the comments.

Eighty

April fluttered her eyelashes before she gave a big stretch. She opened her eyes and looked at the clock on her bedside table. “Holy sh*t,” April mumbled as she leapt out of bed. “I’ve slept in and Finn’s feed is like almost a half hour late.” April ran over to the cot and glanced down, seeing Finn wasn’t there. Her heart jumped a little in panic before she turned around to see James sitting in the bed with Finn in his arms, James holding the bottle as Finn took his milk. She smiled at the scene before walking back over to the bed, getting in and cuddling close to James, her hand gently rubbing her son’s head.

“I figured he’d need a feed as soon as he woke,” James turned his head to face her. “And you looked pretty peaceful sleeping so thought I’d let you rest.”

“Aww aren’t you sweet.” April smiled before kissing his cheek.

“Well I did tire you out last night,” James gave her a cheeky grin and April playfully slapped his arm. “Feeding your son was the least I could do.”

“Mmm,” April smiled. “Well now we are active we need to make sure that he’s the only baby that needs feeding.” April said glancing down at her son who was drinking his milk.

“I know,” James agreed. “But we were careful.”

“Yeah well Xav and I also used a condom and we still ended up with Finn,” April told him. “I uhm...I’m going to go the hospital. Speak about birth controls options.”

“Sure,” James nodded his head a little. “Whatever you think.”

“Can see your grams when we are at the hospital too,” April told him. “She has her operation tomorrow, right?” April questioned.

“Yeah,” James sounded a little nervous. “I think I am more worried than she is.” James exhaled.

“It’s a pretty routine operation though, right?” April questioned.

“Uhm yeah but it’s just...she’s old and mix an old person and anaesthesia....” James trailed off. “She’s the only family I have left and...I’m not ready to lose her.”

“Ah she seems like a tough cookie,” April said. “I’m sure she’ll be fine.”

“Maybe.” James cleared his throat.

“James, have you....” April pursed her lips, looking down as she pulled at a lose thread on the duvet cover before looking back up to him. “Do you ever think about finding your father?”

“You mean the dick who walked out on me and my mother when I was only months old?” James questioned. “He doesn’t deserve to be a father.”

“Fair enough.” April exhaled.

“Besides, I do have more family now,” James took the empty bottle from Finn’s mouth and put it on the bedside table, before sitting Finn up, Finn’s back not needing much rubbing before he burped. He gave a little chuckle as he moved Finn’s position, Finn leaning back on his chest. “I’ve got a gorgeous girl and the best little dude there can be.” James smiled down at April and leaned in, James and April meeting in a kiss.

Charlie put Daniel’s bowl of weet-bix down on the breakfast bar. “Mummy?” Daniel questioned as he picked up his spoon.

“Hmm?” Charlie leaned over the breakfast, looking at her son’s cheeky little face.

“Can we go to the zoo today?” Daniel questioned, a hopeful glint in his eyes.

“No,” Charlie shook he head. “We’ll just stay in the bay today huh?” Charlie said, not feeling like going into the city for the day.

“But mummy I feel so much better today and the zoo is awesome and we can see my penguin Rocky,” Daniel sighed. “Please.” Daniel clasped his hands together, like he was praying.

“Not today,” Charlie shook her head. “We’ll go next weekend, huh?” Charlie suggested. “You can ask Veej to come if you want. He can see your little Rocky too.”

“Yeah,” Daniel grinned. “And can we get a McDonalds.”

“Who’s getting McDonalds?” Brax questioned as he walked down the hall, rubbing the back of his head as he yawned.

“Next weekend me and VJ,” Daniel beamed as he looked around to Brax. “We is going to the zoo to see Rocky.”

“Oh,” Brax walked round the kitchen and opened the fridge. “I’m working next weekend bud.”

“Oh so daddy can’t come.” Daniel looked to Charlie, pouting sadly.

“Suits me fine.” Charlie mumbled and Brax sighed sadly as he closed the fridge, walking over to the worktop and taking a glass, pouring himself a glass of orange juice.

“No,” Daniel moaned. “You tell Angelo to let you come.”

“I’ll see what he says buddy.” Brax smiled at the boy and Daniel grinned.

“You’ve just had a whole week off for your little jaunt to Perth,” Charlie mumbled. “You don’t need to be taking any more extra days off.”

“I dunno,” Brax exhaled, leaning back against the worktop. “We are supposed to be moving into the new house Friday so maybe I could get the weekend off to get things organised.”

“Take time off to get things organised in the new house but then head off to the city?” Charlie questioned, her head shaking a little.

“We can’t afford for you to take anymore unpaid days off,” Charlie lowered her voice as she turned to face Brax, very aware her six year old was sitting the room and didn’t want to argue in front of him. “With the new house and the baby coming,” Charlie exhaled. “You should work. I can take the boys to the zoo on my own.”

Brax pursed his lips. “It’s not like we are strapped for cash.”

“The mortgage on the new house is way more than the rent for this place,” Charlie sighed. “And we are going to need to decorate the nursery, buy a pram, car seat, moses basket....” Charlie trailed off. “All the stuff a new baby needs.”

“If you don’t lose it.” Brax mumbled sadly.

“No,” Charlie and Brax looked around as Daniel squealed. “Why would you lose the baby?”

“Uhm,” Charlie pursed her lips walking back over to the breakfast bar and leaned over it. “Well you know how mummy was in the hospital?” Charlie questioned and Daniel gave a little nod.

“You fell and got a black eye.” Daniel pointed to Charlie’s eye.

“Yeah,” Charlie exhaled. “Well the baby got knocked when I fell and isn’t feeling that good right now,” Charlie wasn’t really sure how to explain it to her son. “Maybe it will be hurt to bad and mummy will lose it.”

“Oh,” Daniel looked like he was going to cry. “What do you need to do not to lose her?”

“Mummy has to rest,” Brax said, walking forward and putting his hands on her shoulders, squeezing them gently. “So, you go back to bed and rest. I’ll bring some breakfast through for you.” Brax smiled as Charlie turned her head to look at him.

“I’ve to carry on as normal bud,” Charlie shrugged Brax off him and moved to the side. “So, how about after breakfast we go for a little walk around the park, feed the ducks and play on the swings?”

“Yeah.” Daniel grinned.

“Well you eat up then.” Charlie knocked her index finger against the breakfast bar and Daniel started to quickly eat his weet-bix. Brax put the glass down in the sink, causing a loud noise as the glass banged against the steel.

“I’m going for a surf.” Brax muttered as he walked over to the door, picking his surf board up and walking out, the door slamming loudly behind him.

Archived