A Perfect Match

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments. :)

Eleven

Brax took a deep breath before he knocked on the door. Daniel rushed over to answer, Charlie and Kaya following behind. “Brax,” Daniel beamed. “Do you want to come in for milk and cookies?”

“Daniel,” Charlie laughed as she put her hands on his shoulders. “You don’t have to ask him that every time we see him.”

Daniel looked up to his mother with furrowed eyebrows before looking back to Brax. “Hello Brax.”

“Hey mate,” Brax smiled at the boy before looking back to Charlie. “Uhm....I just wondered if you and Daniel fancied an outing to the diner.” Brax cleared his throat, feeling nervous. It wasn’t really like he was asking Charlie on a date, her son would be there too, but he was still asking her out somewhere. He liked her and he wanted to get to know her better and was pretty sure she felt the same way, after all they did have that kiss.

“This is Kaya,” Charlie told him as she appeared from behind the door. “She’s Bianca’s daughter. You remember Bianca, right? She was here the other day when you -”

“Yeah yeah,” Brax nodded. “I remember. You were the little one dancing to that tiger song, right?”

“Katy Perry,” Kaya told him, cuddling against Charlie’s leg. “She good.”

“Yeah,” Brax grinned at the girl before looking back to Charlie. “So if you wanted to come it would be nice. The kids can get a milkshake or something and you could get a coffee or whatever you wanted.” Brax rubbed the back of his head.

“Uhm....” Charlie looked down to the kids, who looked like they wanted to go. “Okay, sure.” Charlie gave Brax a smile as she grabbed her keys from the hanger before ushering the kids out of the apartment.

“So where’s your mummy today?” Brax questioned, looking at Kaya. She stared up at him, her big green eyes all wide. She blinked a few times before taking hold of Charlie’s hand.

“I no no where she’s at.” Kaya told him.

“She has a date,” Charlie said as Daniel pushed the button for the lift to come. “Usual babysitters are on a school trip this weekend so I’m watching her for the night.”

“I see,” Brax gave a little nod. “You like staying with Charlie?” Brax asked her the lift doors opened.

“She’s fun,” Kaya answered. “And Daniel’s got best toys.” Kaya told him.

“Yeah Brax,” Daniel said as he jumped into the lift, Brax, Charlie and Kaya getting in after him. “After dinner at the diner we can play some together, ay mummy?”

“I’m sure Brax has better things to be doing with his time than playing games with a kid.” Charlie told him and Daniel frowned as he looked up to Brax.

“Is that true?” Daniel asked him, this time Kaya getting to hit the button to take them to the ground floor.

“I don’t have anything to do,” Brax answered. “But if mummy says no I can’t come mate.” Brax told him. Daniel pouted sadly at his mother, giving her puppy dog eyes.

“We’ll see,” Charlie told him. “And it’s not dinner. We are just having a drink.”

“Oh,” Daniel sighed. “Brax will you buy us dinner?”

“Daniel.” Charlie wondered when her son had become so forward.

“Ehm,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “We could have dinner. I’ve never eaten at the diner before. Is it good?”

“The best,” Kaya told him as they walked out of the lift. “Nana Reen works there.” Kaya let go of Charlie’s hand and skipped down the hallway to the door to get out of the building. Irene, of course not Kaya’s real Nana, but she was just like one to her.

“Yeah it’s better than mummy’s cooking.” Daniel answered.

“Oh you cheeky monkey.” Charlie grabbed Daniel from behind and tickled his sides as Daniel giggled.

“Well it looks like we are having dinner at the diner,” Brax said before looking to Charlie and giving her a smile. “It’s a date.” Brax said before they walked the short distance to the diner.

Charlie met Bianca at the surf club the following day. They were sitting with smoothie on the seats outside as Daniel and Kaya were running around close by. “So you making me ask how the date went?” Charlie said.

“Ugh,” Bianca sighed. “He was a journalist,” Bianca exhaled. “Wanted me to dish the dirt on Liam. It wasn’t really a date, he just....” Bianca shrugged. “Wanted me to spill my guts I guess.”

“Sorry,” Charlie exhaled. “Did you tell anything?” Charlie wondered.

“Charlie,” Bianca gasped. “Of course I didn’t.” Bianca played with the straw of her smoothie.

“Well you could have,” Charlie said. “He really hurt you when he left and he’s not there for Kaya....he’s....he’s done some pretty bad stuff that you could have let the world know.”

“I’m not going to be that person,” Bianca shook her head. “And one day Kaya is going to be old enough to read things like that and I don’t want her to see me bad mouthing her father.”

“She’ll read other stuff about him.” Charlie pursed her lips.

“Well at least it’s not been said by me,” Bianca sighed. “Yeah she’ll find out who he is and that he left me when I was expecting her and all about his drinking and drug taking and....” Bianca shook her head. “But at the end of the day he is her father and I am not going to say anything negative about him for her to see.”

Charlie gave a little smile, admiring Bianca for that. She could still see a sadness in Bianca’s eyes and was pretty sure she was still in love him, maybe that a part of the reason she wouldn’t badmouth him or tell the press any stories. “Well sorry about the date.” Charlie exhaled.

“No big deal,” Bianca sighed. “Kaya and I are doing just fine.” Bianca exhaled as the kids came running over, Kaya climbing up onto her knee, pulling her mother’s smoothie closer to her and taking a drink.

“We eated diner last night.” Kaya told her.

“Yeah with Brax,” Daniel said. “He’s cool.”

“With Brax ay?” Bianca raised her eyebrows at her friend.

“Yes,” Kaya answered. “He’s a man.”

Charlie and Bianca laughed. “Then he came over,” Daniel continued to tell Bianca about the night. “We played games all night.” Daniel took a drink of Charlie’s smoothie before running off again shouting on Kaya to join him. She jumped down from Bianca’s knee and caught up with Daniel.

“And did mummy and Brax play some adult games?” Bianca once again raised her eyebrows.

“No we most certainly did not,” Charlie gasped. “He’s just a friend.”

“Mmm hmm.” Bianca exhaled as she caught sight of Brax walking down to the beach with his surf board under his arm. He waved across to Charlie who waved back, her stomach fluttering.

Ruby, April and the rest of the year 10 class were away on a school trip. They were camping and would have various tasks to complete over the course of the weekend. “Okay,” Miles exhaled, looking over the group of teenagers, some of them looking more eager than others to be there. “We’ll get you paired up and then you’ll get your map and compasses and you can be on your way,” Miles told them and some of the students starting talking, getting into groups with their friends. “And before any of you start finding your partners we will be pairing you up.” Miles said, resulting in some groans from the students. “Annabelle Davis you are with Samia Green. Justin Clark and Erin Wilson,” Milson started to read out the list and Xavier crossed his fingers that he’d be paired with April. “Xavier Austin,” Miles looked to the group of students. Xavier crossed his fingers tighter, glancing in April’s direction. “Tara Johnston,” Xavier sighed lightly before walking over to his partner. “April Scott and Scott Matthews will work together,” Miles said and April glanced at Ruby, giving her a grin. Ruby knowing all too well about April’s crush on Scott. Miles continued to read names out until there were only two left.

“Well by deduction it looks like Ruby Buckton and Dexter Walker are working together.” Dex grinned as he patted Ruby’s arm.

“And Dexter Walker and Ruby Buckton,” Miles said, confirming the pairing. “Please come and collect your packs and then you can set off.” Miles said as students started to get their maps and compass.

“Well the good this is you can probably work a compass and read a map, right?” Ruby questioned. “You have that kind of brain, huh?”

“Uhm,” Dex shrugged. “I’ll give it a go.” Dex said, knowing he would look good in Ruby’s eyes if they were one of the first ones to arrive at the end location.

“Oh yes and there will be a prize for the first team to arrive.” Miles said before the students set off.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Sarah and Spotd1. :)

Twelve

Charlie took a deep breath before knocking on the door. She waited a few moments but got no answer. She sighed lightly before she started to walk down the hallway. “Hello, 6B,” Charlie smiled as she heard his voice. She turned around and walked back over to the door, widening her eyes as she saw Brax standing wrapped in a towel. “I’m just out of the shower.”

Charlie tried not to look at his perfectly toned chest. “Uhm, sorry to bother you.”

“You didn’t,” Brax shook his head. “What can I do for you?”

“I’m going to the hospital. They have the results of Daniel’s tests. I uhm....I don’t want to go myself in case they.....well you know, they might have something to tell me,” Charlie took a deep breath. “Rubes is on her school trip, Leah is working and Bianca is watching Daniel so I can go....” Charlie pursed her lips. “I thought that maybe....” Charlie cut off, breaking eye contact with Brax.

“I can come,” Brax smiled, glad Charlie though so much of him to ask him to accompany her. “I just need to get dressed. Come in,” Brax gestured for her to come into his apartment. Charlie walked in and Brax disappeared down the hall to his bedroom. She wandered down the hallway and into the living area, seeing a photo of Brax with two other guys she assumed were his brothers. She looked to the side, seeing a little boogie board sitting with his surf boards. “It’s for Daniel.” Brax appeared in the room, buttoning up his shirt.

“What, why?” Charlie questioned.

“Well he seemed keen to learn to surf,” Brax answered. “Consider it a belated birthday present.”

Charlie gave a little smile. “You are a sweet guy.”

“Well I try to be,” Brax answered. “And you are....we’ll we’ve just sort of clicked, right?” Brax questioned. “Being around you feels so normal and easy. It’s...”

“I know,” Charlie nodded. “It feels like I’ve know you all my life.”

Brax smiled as he walked closer to Charlie. “You ready to go to this hospital then?” Brax questioned, feeling hopeful that things were going somewhere with Charlie.

Charlie took a deep breath as she shook her head. “I don’t want to hear what they have to say.”

“He’s probably fine.” Brax tried to reassure her, but of course he was no doctor so he didn’t know if that was the case.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “There is something wrong with him. I can sense it.” Charlie looked down. Brax lightly rubbed her arms.

“I know it must be hard but try to stay positive.” Brax placed a soft kiss on the top of Charlie’s head. She leaned more into him as Brax wrapped her arms around her in a hug, Charlie needing a moment before they left for the hospital.

Ruby stopped walking and turned to face Dex who’s head was down, looking at the map and compass that was in his hand. “We’re lost, aren’t we?”

“No,” Dex answered. “We need to go...” Dex paused. “Uhm...” He looked up and looked around in a circle, trying to find the right way to go. Ruby sighed as a few drops of rain started to fall.

“Brilliant. We are lost and it’s raining,” Ruby looked up to the sky, the rain starting to fall a little heavier. Dex took her hand and led her over to a more sheltered area. They sat down, the trees mostly shading them of the rain. “I thought you could do this stuff,” Ruby sighed. “Map and compass reading....you have a brain for it.”

“Maybe I’m just distracted.” Dex mumbled.

“What?” Ruby questioned. “Distracted, why are you distracted?”

Dex looked at her, captivated by her beauty. “Well I....” Dex rubbed the back of his head. Ruby looked up as the rain became even heavier. “Ever since we -” Dex took a deep breath, thinking maybe he should just tell her.

“Ruby,” Ruby looked up as she heard April’s voice. “Seems you are as useless at reading maps as he is.” April pointed to Scott as they huddled under the trees with them.

“And here I thought this would be right up Walker’s street,” Scott gestured to Dex. Dex screwed his face up, not sure why everyone thought he’d be good at this. “Anyways, we passed a cabin just back that way,” Scott pointed back in the direction they came. “We should probably go there. Sit out till the rain stops.” The rain was only getting heavier and the tree wasn’t proving to be the best form of shelter.

“You sure you’ll find the way back?” April asked him.

“Yes,” Scott answered. “So, you guys coming?”

“Yes,” Ruby jumped up and started walking. “Let’s go.” Ruby said as the four of them started walking back to find some shelter from the rain.

Charlie and Brax were at the hospital, getting the results of Daniel’s tests. She was nervously shaking her legs as she waited in the room for the doctor to appear. She looked up as Sid walked into the room, followed by a tall blonde lady, with glasses. “Sid.” Charlie felt her heart starting to beat faster. Who was this woman and what did she have to say to Charlie?

“Charlie,” Sid spoke softly as the blonde lady took a seat opposite Charlie, but he remained standing. “This is Doctor Fisher. She is from our Oncology department.”

“Oncology?” Charlie questioned. “That’s....Cancer,” Charlie shook her head as she felt her eyes glossing over. “No, no Sid. He’s not...please don’t tell me -” Brax put his hand over his mouth, shocked at what he was pretty sure Charlie was about to hear. He reached to the side, taking Charlie’s hand in his, giving it a comforting squeeze.

“Mrs Buckton, Mr Buckton,” The lady spoke. “I’m Doctor Fisher and I’m here to talk to you about your son.”

Charlie’s heart was racing as she once again looked to Sid. “I’ll go.” Sid said, leaving his colleague to it.

“I’m afraid it’s not good news,” Dr Fisher spoke softly, in a calming tone. Charlie covered her mouth with her hand as her other remained in Brax’s grasp. “Daniel has Acute Myeloid Leukaemia.” Dr Fisher stopped talking, if only to let the news sink in.

“No,” Charlie shook her head as Brax looked to her, seeing a tear rolling down her cheek. “No, he doesn’t, he’s....”

“I know it’s very hard for you to hear this,” Dr Fisher said. “But now we know what’s wrong with your son we can give him the best possible medical care.”

Brax continued to look at Charlie, she looked so broken at the news, and of course any mother would be after hearing her son had Cancer. “What are the options?” Brax spoke, seeing Charlie couldn’t bring herself to talk.

“Chemotherapy would be our first step,” Dr Fisher told him. “Either orally or intravenously. I’d like to suggest trying orally first as it won’t be as gruelling for Daniel and he won’t need to spend as much time in the hospital.” Dr Fisher said before glancing at Charlie again.

“But this will work?” Brax questioned. “This will rid him of the Cancer?”

“That’s the hope,” Dr Fisher answered. “I eh...I’ll give you two some time to take this in. I’ll go grab some pamphlets with information for you on his treatments and of course about how you begin to tell your child this.” Dr Fisher said before she left the room. Brax exhaled as he moved from the chair, bending down in front of Charlie.

“Brax,” Charlie cried. “My boy. He’s my little boy. He can’t....” Charlie burst into tears, Brax not being able to make out anything more she said.

“Hey hey.” Brax pulled her into a hug, gently rubbing the back of her head, vowing to himself to be there for Charlie and little Daniel throughout all this.

Thank you Spotd1, Sarah and CharlieAndBraxLover. :)

Thirteen

Brax put the glass in front of Charlie. She looked down to it, curling her nose. “Bourbon,” Brax told her. “For the shock.” Charlie picked up the glass and downed the offering. She screwed her face up at the taste as she put the glass down on the breakfast bar. She shook her head as she looked up to Brax, her eyes all red and puffy, her cheeks tear stained.

“I can’t tell him,” Charlie continued to shake her head. “I can’t even try to face this is true myself. How am I supposed to tell my baby that he’s....” Fresh tears started to roll down Charlie’s cheeks. Brax walked around the breakfast bar and tentatively pulled her into a hug. She grabbed onto him tight, her head rested against his chest, Brax feeling her tears soak through his shirt.

Brax took a deep breath as he rubbed her back. “I’ll do it,” Brax exhaled. “If you are okay with that.”

Charlie pulled back as she wiped her hands over her eyes. She took a deep breath as she gave a little nod. She was glad Brax had come into her life. She was sure he was going to be a rock for her, a tower of strength through all of this. “If you think you could then....” Charlie took another deep breath.

“I’ll do it.” Brax exhaled. Of course he knew it would be hard to tell anyone they had Cancer, let alone a boy who’d just turned 5 but he’d do it for Charlie. He could see how broken she was by this, how hard it would be for her to say to anyone, let alone to Daniel. He wanted to help make it easier for her.

“Here you go mummy.” Daniel came running back into the room, handing Theo up to her. Charlie took the bear in her hand, gently running her other hand over his face.

“Who’s this little guy?” Brax questioned.

“That’s Theo,” Daniel told him. “He’s my best bear and if I am sad he cuddles me better.” Daniel said and Charlie started to cry even harder. Brax felt his heart strings tugging.

“That’s very sweet of you to give him to your mummy.” Brax said, bending down in front of Daniel and rubbing his arm.

“Just for cuddles,” Daniel said. “No keepsies.”

“I would never keep Theo from you.” Charlie spoke quietly, walking over to Daniel. She scooped him up into her arms, hugging him tightly as she walked over to the couch. Brax followed and sat down next to them, Daniel sitting on Charlie’s knee.

“There’s something we need to talk to you about, mate.” Brax said, rubbing Daniel’s arm.

“Is I in trouble?” Daniel questioned.

“I don’t imagine you ever getting into trouble mate,” Brax continued to rub his arm. “Listen...” Brax took a deep breath. “You know how you’ve not been feeling so well lately and have been a bit tired and keep getting bruises?”

Daniel nodded in reply. “They put a needle in me at the hospital.”

“They did,” Brax nodded. “And that was so they could find out what is wrong with you,” Brax said. “And mummy and I went to the hospital today because they had the results,” Brax stopped talking and glanced at Charlie. She was taking deep breaths, like she preparing herself to hear the news again. “You’ve got something called Leukaemia, mate.” Brax cleared his throat, seeing Daniel looked very confused.

“Is that bad?” Daniel questioned, turning his head to the side to see Charlie’s tears. “Don’t cry mummy.” Daniel wiped his little hand over her cheek, ridding her of the tears. Charlie took a deep breath, trying hard to stop the tears from falling, for her son’s benefit.

“Yeah it’s uhm....it’s not good.” Brax told him and Daniel bowed his head down.

“Did I get it cos I was a bad boy?” Daniel spoke shyly, not looking at anyone.

“Of course not,” Brax put his hand on Daniel’s little shoulder and gave it a squeeze. “Sometimes people just get sick.”

“What is it?” Daniel questioned.

“Well....” Brax took a deep breath, trying to find a way to explain this so a 5 year old could understand. “In your blood you have something called cells,” Brax started. “And they help keep you healthy but if a person has Leukaemia to many bad cells have gotten in and we don’t like bad cells,” Brax glanced at Charlie before looking back to Daniel. “They make you sick.”

“So my good cells are broken?” Daniel questioned.

“Yeah,” Brax nodded. “So you need to get some medicine to help kill all the bad cells and bring the good ones back.”

“Then I won’t be sick no more?” Daniel asked.

“Yeah that’s the plan,” Brax nodded. “But there will be times when you feel fine but you still need to take some medicine because the bad cells will still be there, okay?” Daniel gave a little nod before looking to his mother.

“Are you sad because my cells are bad?” Daniel asked. Charlie nodded her head as she rubbed his little cheek.

“It’s okay. I’ll just take some medicine so my cells be good again.” Charlie’s heart broke as she looked at his little face. He was young and innocent, and of course didn’t fully understand just how serious this actually was.

“Yeah.” Charlie’s squeaky whisper was all she could manage before she pulled her son into a tight hug, Brax watching as the mother and child had their moment.

Ruby, April, Dex and Scott had reached the cabin. It was a bit old and smelly but at least it was dry. Ruby put her hands on the table, trying to move it from side to side to test the strength of it and she was sure it was strong enough to hold her weight. She turned herself around and jumped up on it, her legs swinging back and forth. “I don’t think it’s going to stop for a long time,” Ruby sighed. “Can we really wait here that long, I mean wont the teachers wonder where we are when we don’t arrive?”

“I’m sure they won’t expect us to be there by now and with the rain I’d like to think they’d want us to find shelter,” Scott answered, leaning himself against the wall. “Now, anyone have any food? I’m starving.”

“No.” Dex answered as April and Ruby shook their heads. Scott sighed as he knocked his head against the wall.

“Maybe we could phone Mr Copeland.” April said, pulling her mobile from her pocket. She sighed as she saw she had no signal and started walking around the cabin.

“Why do you have a teacher’s number?” Scott questioned.

“I don’t,” April answered. “But I do have my sister’s number and she is a good friend and colleague of Miles’ so...” April trailed off, still trying to find signal.

“Surely you’ll worry her if you call and tell her we are lost in the woods.” Dex said, leaning back against the table where Ruby was sitting, still swinging her legs back and forth.

“I thought you said we weren’t lost.” Ruby pushed on his shoulder.

“Well....I mean, we aren’t lost, we are just unsure of where we are exactly. I know we are in the woods close to Westlands Bay.” Dex said and Scott laughed a little.

“Yeah you’re not lost at all mate.” Scott moved to other side of the cabin, looking at some tins that were on a shelf, hoping they’d be food.

“You are here too,” Dex retorted. “So, if I’m lost you are lost.”

“I’m not saying I’m not.” Scott sighed as he saw the tins were empty.

“You alright Rubes?” April questioned, seeing her friend was a little white in the face.

Ruby nodded. “Dex, pass my bag up please.” Ruby asked and Dex lifted her bag up from the floor, putting it on the table next to Ruby. Ruby zipped it open and took out a small bag of gummy bears.

“Ahh, so you do have food Buckton,” Scott rushed over to the other side of the room and grabbed the bag from her. “Didn’t your mother ever teach you to share?” Scott asked as he opened the bag.

“Scott, don’t,” Ruby said. “I need them for...” Ruby stopped talking as Scott put the bag to his mouth, leaning his head back so the gummy bears fell into his mouth.

“Scott.” Dex grabbed the bag from him and pushed Scott back.

“What the hell.” Scott spoke with a mouthful of gummy bears as he glared at Dex.

“She has diabetes,” Dex raised his voice. “She obviously needed the sugar.” Dex sounded both mad and worried at the same time. He was mad with Scott for eating Ruby’s bears but was worried for what that might mean for Ruby.

“My bad.” Scott laughed before leaning himself against the wall, looking out to the rain that wasn’t showing any signs of stopping any time soon.

“Rubes are you going to be okay?” April questioned.

“Yeah,” Ruby hit the button on the side of her watch as it beeped, indicating it was time to check her sugar levels, Ruby already knowing she’d need to take some insulin. “I just need to take a shot,” Ruby felt inside her bag, trying to find her insulin kit. “Oh God no.” Ruby mumbled.

“What’s wrong?” Dex questioned.

“Uhm...” Ruby pursed her lips. “I’ve let my insulin at camp.”

Thank you Spotd1, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sarah for the comments. :)

Fourteen

Ruby, April and Dex were soaked through to the skin by the time they got back to camp, but at least the rain was stopping. Ruby was really weak and had had to be carried in the middle of April and Dex, her arms draped over each of their shoulders. Scott had said he wanted to get to the creek with the rest of the class to enjoy his day and possible still claim the prize for getting their first, so had decided against helping Ruby, much to the disappointment of April. She was quickly starting to be less attracted to the guy the more time she spent with him. April unzipped hers and Ruby’s tent as Dex held Ruby by the waist, Ruby leaning against him. “Where is the insulin?” April questioned, crawling into the tent.

“Red....red bag.” Ruby rasped as Dex helped her into the tent, Ruby lying down on top of her sleeping bag. April was shaking as she reached for the bag. She’d never seen Ruby so bad before and to be honest it scared her a little. She pulled out the insulin kit and zipped it open, not sure what to do now with needles and little tubes of liquid. “Put...put it in the needle.”

“What?” April mouthed as she looked to Dex.

“You want to be the doctor.” Dex shrugged, hoping with this shot Ruby would quickly be okay. He hated seeing her girl he liked so much like that.

“You want to be a nurse.” April retorted.

“The little tube,” Ruby tried to reach out and Dex picked up in. “Needle.” Ruby said and Dex picked up the needle and stuck it in the tube, pulling the syringe out as it sucked up the insulin. He held it out in front of him and flicked the top a few times, not sure why but he’d seen doctors and nurses do this so felt the need to do it.

“Where do you take it?” Dex questioned.

Ruby lifted her t-shirt up and pointed to her side. Dex took a deep breath before he stuck the needle in her, giving her her insulin. “Thanks.” Ruby smiled at him and Dex returned the smile.

“What are you lot doing?” Mr Hayes – a biology teacher – stuck his head in the tent. “You should be at the creek with the rest of the class. Not back here.”

“Ruby needed sugar,” April told him. “Eh, her insulin,” April corrected herself. “Scott ate all her gummy bears see, and then she realised she’d left her insulin here and she was going to have a hypo if she didn’t get her insulin soon so Dex and I had to help her back here.”

“Right,” Mr Hayes nodded his head. “And you’ve got that now? You feel okay?”

“Not yet.” Ruby answered.

“I should probably call your mother. Get you home.” Mr Hayes exhaled.

“No I don’t want to go home,” Ruby told him. “I just need to rest for a bit. I’ll be fine, really I will. Please don’t worry my mother.”

My Hayes scratched the side of his head. “Okay, if you are sure. Take some rest then I’ll drive you to be with the rest of the class. You’ve got lots of activities to do today.” Mr Hayes said before disappearing from view.

“Thanks.” Ruby said again looking to her friends.

“It’s alright. Just as long as you are okay.” Dex softly rubbed her arm as she looked into her eyes and it didn’t go unnoticed by April.

“Dex can you leave?” April questioned.

“Why?” Dex questioned. “You heard Mr Hayes. He’ll drive us after Rubes has had some rest.”

“I know but I want to get out of these wet clothes.” April looked down to herself before looking back up to Dex.

“Good idea. I’ll go get changed.” Dex said before getting out of the tent, giving Ruby a smile before he left.

Charlie and Brax were sitting on the couch in Charlie’s apartment. Daniel was sleeping in his bed and Charlie had asked Brax if he could stay a little longer, Charlie really not wanting to be alone right now and of course Brax had complied. “Thank you again, by the way.” Charlie said.

“What for?” Brax questioned.

“For everything today,” Charlie answered. “Coming with me to the hospital, for....” Charlie pursed her lips. “For telling Daniel, I....” Charlie exhaled loudly. “For getting us pizza for dinner, for being here with me. Thank you.”

“It’s my pleasure,” Brax rubbed her arm. “Anything to make this hard time easier for you.”

“You think you could tell everyone else?” Charlie mumbled. Of course she knew that she needed to but it would be easier this way, it would mean she didn’t have to keep living that moment when she first found out.

“If you don’t think you can,” Brax answered. “Of course I can.”

Charlie gave him a weak smile. “You’re so sweet,” Charlie felt herself welling up. “I hardly know you but at the same time it feels like I’ve known you all my life. It’s so easy to talk with you and I...it doesn’t feel awkward or anything.”

“Some people just click,” Brax told her. “And I think me and you....we fit together like a jigsaw puzzle.” Brax entwined his hand with Charlie’s and Charlie smiled. Brax looked into her gorgeous eyes and leaned forward, placing a soft kiss on her lips.

“Except my piece has two extra pieces.” Charlie said as they pulled back.

“They’re great kids,” Brax smiled. “Well I’ve never really seen much of Ruby but look who her mother is and how her brother is. Of course she is going to be great too.” Charlie gave him a smile before looking down to their hands that were still interlocked. She rubbed her other hand over his before looking back up into his lovely green eyes.

“If Daniel is up for it maybe tomorrow you could give him his boogie board and show him how to use it.” Charlie said and Brax smiled as he nodded.

“Yeah,” Brax answered. “Will need to be in the morning though as I’m working in the afternoon.” Brax was pleased that Charlie had asked him to spend time with them. He knew now that because Daniel was sick things with him and Charlie might take longer to kick off, but getting to hang out with them was good enough for now. Daniel’s health was the most important thing at the end of the day.

“That’s fine,” Charlie answered. “We normally hang with Bianca, Leah and the kids on a Sunday afternoon anyways so morning works best for us.” Charlie said, their hands still interlocked.

“Great,” Brax smiled. “Well I’ll look forward to it.” Brax glanced down at his watch.

“You have to be somewhere?” Charlie questioned.

“No,” Brax shook his head. “Just....there was a footie match coming on that I wanted to watch.”

“Oh.” Charlie unlinked her hand with Brax’s as she reached forward and picked up the TV remote. She handed it to Brax and he changed the channel to the right one. Charlie snuggled against him and although Brax was a little surprised, he went with it. He kissed the top of her head as he wrapped an arm around her and they settled together to watch the footie match.

Thank you CharlieAndBraxLover, Sarah, Spotd1 and Chax for the comments. :)

Fifteen

Charlie was sitting on the beach, watching as Brax and Daniel were out in the water; Daniel on his boogie board as Brax was close by, keeping him safe. “Hello Chalie.” Kaya jumped in front of Charlie.

“Hey trouble,” Charlie wrapped her arms around Kaya as she sat down over Charlie’s stretched out legs. “What you saying today?”

“Uhm,” Kaya shrugged. “Daniel swims.” Kaya pointed out to Daniel.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered before looking round to Bianca who had taken a seat next to her. “Hey.” Charlie smiled at her friend.

“How did yesterday go?” Bianca questioned.

“Uhm,” Charlie exhaled looking out to Daniel before looking back to Bianca. “He’s got Leukaemia.” Charlie spoke quietly. Bianca gasped at the shock before covering her mouth with her hand.

“Oh my God Charlie, I am so sorry.” Bianca rubbed her friends arm comfortingly.

“He’s going to get chemo,” Charlie took a deep breath. “Pills. They’re going to give him pills. Hopefully that’s a little easier on him than by IV or shots.”

“Oh Charlie, I....” Bianca was utterly gobsmacked. “It must have been awful to hear by yourself.”

“I wasn’t myself,” Charlie shook he head as Kaya leaned back into her. Charlie ran her hand over the girl’s stomach, liking the comfort she was bringing her. “I asked Brax to come with me.” Charlie looked out to him and Bianca noticed the smile on her face as she said his name.

“That’s good,” Bianca said. “Have you....have you managed to tell him yet?”

“I...” Charlie shook her head. “Brax,” Charlie said. “He did it for me. He explained it in a way Daniel would understand and....Bianca he’s....” Charlie trailed off.

“He’s going to be great for you,” Bianca watched Brax interacting with Daniel. “He’s great with him.”

“I don’t get it,” Charlie shook her head. “He can barely look at Angelo and he’s seen him around the bay since he was born yet right away he was talking with Brax. It’s strange.”

“Some people just have that effect,” Bianca exhaled. “I mean, you’ve known him what, a week and you asked him to come to the hospital with you?” Bianca said. “You guys are obviously maybe....” Bianca gave a little shrug. “It feels right. Charlie and Brax....Charlotte and Darryl. Sometimes you just have that chemistry, that connection, that special something with someone and Daniel can probably see that. The kid is intuitive.”

“Yeah,” Charlie’s heart always felt strange when she was with Brax or talking about him. It was always fluttering. “We’ll see. Right now finding a boyfriend is at the bottom of my list. Daniel’s health is my top priority right now.”

“Of course,” Bianca answered. “But remember that keeping life as normal as you can is also a good thing. Especially for Daniel. And giving yourself someone or something else to focus on too could also help. Worrying about Daniel 24/7 won’t do you or Daniel any good.”

Charlie pursed her lips, understanding what her friend was trying to say. “Yeah. I guess so.” Charlie exhaled before looking back to the water, smiling as she saw her son having fun which right now was something that was very important to her, for in a few months Daniel might be too sick to just enjoying being a little kid.

Ruby was back from her school trip and had been told about Daniel. “But he’ll be okay, right?” Ruby sniffed back. “He’ll be fine. He’ll get through this.”

“I hope so,” Charlie sniffed back her own tears as she wiped Ruby’s tears from her face. “But me and you, we’re all he has so we’ve got to be strong for him, hmm.” Charlie said and Ruby gave a little nod as she took a deep breath to compose herself.

“He doesn’t look sick,” Ruby said. “He looks fine. He looks healthy.”

“Right now he does,” Charlie answered. “But once he starts all the medication it’ll take a lot out of him,” Charlie sighed sadly. “It’ll be too much for a 5 year old to go through.” Charlie mumbled.

“Well like you say we’ll be there for him every step of the way,” Ruby cleared a lump from her throat. “Does he understand?”

“He knows he’s sick,” Charlie answered. “As for how serious it is?” Charlie shook her head. “He just thinks he needs to take a little medicine and he’ll be better.”

“Well maybe that’s all it will be,” Ruby said. “It might not turn to... you know.....the transplant.”

“No no,” Charlie shook her head. “We are not thinking about that,” Charlie exhaled. “So,” Charlie patted her daughter’s knee. “Let’s talk about brighter things,” Charlie said. “How was your weekend?”

“It was good,” Ruby answered. “I sort of maybe almost had a hypo...” Ruby pursed her lips together, feeling she should tell her mother.

“What?” Charlie gasped. “Ruby didn’t you take your insulin?”

“We were out in the woods and I’d left it at camp by mistake,” Ruby answered. “I had my gummy bears but Scott ate them,” Ruby sighed. “April and Dex got me back to camp and I got my insulin in time.” Ruby said, leaving out the just in time part. Another few minutes and she was sure she’d have had a hypo.

“Well I’m glad you had your friends looking out for you,” Charlie rubbed Ruby’s arm. “But you can’t afford to be forgetful. Don’t make me buy you a bum bag to keep your insulin in.”

Ruby gave a little laugh. “I am not wearing a bum bag.”

“Well please, Rubes, this is your health we are talking about. You can’t afford to forget to have your insulin with you.” Charlie spoke softly, the concern for her daughter very evident.

“I know,” Ruby answered. “You think I like having hypos?” Ruby questioned and Charlie shook her head.

“No, I suppose not,” Charlie said. “Guess I owe April and Dex a thank you the next time I see them.”

“Yeah they were great,” Ruby smiled. “Dex is such a sweetheart.”

“He’s a good friend to you,” Charlie smiled. “And April to of course.”

“Yeah,” Ruby smiled. “They’re the best,” Ruby smiled, glad she had friends like April and Dex and she knew they’d be a great support once they knew the news of Daniel’s illness. “So anyways, you fancy some ice-cream and a movie?” Ruby asked.

“You going to pick a Channing Tatum film?” Charlie questioned and Ruby nodded.

“Of course,” Ruby answered. “He is like wow hot.” Ruby gave a little grin and Charlie smiled at her daughter, having to agree that Channing was very nice to look at.

“Okay,” Charlie exhaled. “You go pick out the movie. I’ll get the ice-cream.” Charlie said walking to the kitchen as Ruby ran off to her bedroom to get a DVD.

Thank you Chax, Spotd1, Sarah, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sabrina for the comments. :D Hope this one is okay..... :unsure:

Sixteen

Charlie walked into the restaurant, smiling as she saw Brax. She leaned herself against the bar, watching as he was stocking the fridge with beer. “Hey 6B,” Brax returned her smile. “So you are a copper eh.” Brax raised his eyebrows as he stood up and leaned over the opposite end of the bar from Charlie looking her up and down, Charlie in her police uniform, having just finished a shift at the station.

“Not just a copper,” Angelo appeared from the office. “She’s the Sergeant.”

Brax raised his eyebrows, impressed. “Aren’t you a little young to be Sergeant?”

“I was fast tracked.” Charlie answered and Brax gave a little nod.

“How’s things?” Angelo questioned. “I uhm...I heard about Daniel. I’m sorry. If there is anything you need....” After Charlie had told Bianca and Leah she’d let Colleen know and was sure she’d let it out, which in a way, her gossiping was actually good for Charlie for once as it meant she didn’t need to tell everyone.

“I know,” Charlie gave him a thankful smile, glad he’d still be there for her even though she ended their dating. “He’s fine right now but the medication hasn’t started yet so....” Charlie exhaled.

Angelo gave a little nod and could see it wasn’t really something Charlie wanted to talk about. “Well there’s an order arrived down stairs so I best go sign for it.” Angelo said before leaving the restaurant.

“What’s this visit in aid of?” Brax questioned, walking around the bar and standing before Charlie. He lifted his hand up and hesitated for a moment before he tucked her hair behind her ear and placed a soft kiss on her cheek.

“Daniel wondered if you would like to come over for dinner tonight,” Charlie spoke nervously as she played with the strap of her bag. “You don’t have to if you are busy but -”

“Tell Daniel I’d love to,” Brax smiled. “Do I need to bring anything?”

“Just yourself,” Charlie gave him a smile. “Dinner’s at 5.30 if you can make that.”

“Yeah that’s fine. I finish at 4,” Brax answered. “5.30 is early, no?”

“Not for a 5 year old,” Charlie answered. “We eat a little later on weekends but it’s a school night. He has dinner, playtime, and bath then bed at 7.30.” Charlie told him.

“Right,” Brax gave a little nod. “So, I’ll see you around 5.15 then?” Brax questioned and Charlie gave a little nod. “Great, I’ll look forward to it,” Brax smiled before the smile quickly fell from his face.

“You okay?” Charlie questioned. “Remembered somewhere you need to be?”

“No no,” Brax shook his head. “Just...your daughter will be there, right?”

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “She’s a nice girl though. She won’t bite.”

Brax gave a little laugh. “I know. Just....I’m nervous for meeting the kids.” Brax admitted.

Charlie screwed her face up. “Why?” Charlie asked. “It’s not like we are a couple and you’ve seen Daniel plenty of times. Rubes is just the same. Except she is a teenage girl and not a five year old boy.”

“Yeah,” Brax exhaled as he nodded. “Well I am sure if she comes from you she’ll be lovely.” Brax smiled.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered, returning the smile. “Well I need to go pick up Daniel from school but I’ll see you later.”

“Yeah, see you later.” Brax gave her a smile before Charlie gave a little wave and walked out of the restaurant, her heart once again fluttering strangely as she thought about Brax coming over for dinner.

Ruby, April and Dex left the school grounds, glad to be finished for the day. “Hey April,” Scott ran out after them. “April.”

“What?” April turned to face him.

“Wondered if you wanted to come to my place. Hang out. Could maybe study for that assessment together?” Scott touched her arm. “Or better yet I come to your place since you live with the teacher.” Scott gave a little laugh.

“Uhm,” April pursed her lips. “No, I have plans already.”

“With jelly legs?” Scott laughed as he gestured to Ruby.

“You think someone almost having a hypo is funny?” Dex questioned, feeling the need to be protective over Ruby.

“It was a bit,” Scott continued to laugh. “Her eyes went all crazy. She looked a bit possessed.”

“Go home, Scott.” April sighed, a little disappointed in Scott. He was very attractive, but it seemed that was all that was good about him. He wasn’t a nice person at all.

“I will if you come with me.” Scott raised his eyebrows and he ran his hand up and down April’s arm. April pulled away and Dex stepped forward, putting his hand out to stop Scott.

“She already said she doesn’t want too.” Dex said, helping his friend out.

“Shut up, Walker,” Scott laughed. “C’mon April. You’ll have much more fun with me that with these two losers.” Scott looked from Dex to Ruby and then back to Dex. He put his hand out and took a hold of April.

“What part of no don’t you understand?” Xavier voice was heard before he was seen. He pushed Scott to the side and Scott looked at him, an angry look on his face. “The lady said no.”

Scott sniggered. “Another loser friend.”

“Yeah we’ll I’d rather be with these losers than with you.” April replied.

“Hey,” Xavier shot her an annoyed glance. “Go home Scott.”

“You want to make me?” Scott said, pushing Xavier back. Xavier retaliated, pushing Scott quiet hard and a circle of students started forming around them, chanting fight, fight, fight. Xavier looked to April who was shaking her head before looking back to Scott. He formed a fist with his hand before he shook his head and turned to walk away. Scott took this to his advantage and grabbed Xavier from behind, throwing him to the floor. He kicked Xavier in the stomach before giving his face two hefty blows.

“What’s going on here?” Bianca walked out as she noticed the huddle of students. Everyone including Scott ran off as quickly as they could, leaving Ruby, April and Dex, who were helping Xavier back to his feet. “April answer me.” Bianca said.

“Scott was being a jerk and Xav told him to leave me alone and then Scott went crazy and started kicking at Xav,” April explained. “That guy is wacko. He needs help.” April rolled her eyes.

“You okay Xav?” Bianca put her hand on his shoulder and looked down to him, seeing he had a cut lip.

“Fine.” Xavier answered wiping his hand over his mouth, smearing the blood over his cheek.

“You are bleeding,” Bianca said. “Let’s go back inside. We’ll get you cleaned up.”

“No,” Xavier shrugged back. “I’m fine.” Xavier said before he ran off.

“Xav.” April ran off after him.

Dex and Ruby exchanged a glanced. “So we still up for playing pool and smoothies?”

“Dex,” Ruby sighed as she slapped his arm. “Xav, April wait up.” Ruby ran off after then. Dex exhaled as he looked to Bianca before looking in the direction of his friends.

“I guess we are going.” Dex pointed towards them before he too ran off, leaving Bianca standing alone in the playground.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Seventeen

April wiped the sterilising wipe over Xavier cut. He winced as he pulled back, it stinging him a little. “Don’t be a baby,” April put her hand on the back of his head and pulled him closer to her. “But thanks for standing up for me.” April looked into his eyes and they smiled at each other.

“It’s alright.” Xavier answered.

“I’m sorry for what he did,” April said. “You okay?”

“I’ll be fine,” Xavier answered. His chest was hurting from the kick but it wouldn’t last forever and right now he was feeling something with April so maybe all this would be worth it. April smiled as she kept a gaze with his eyes. She leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “What was that for?” Xavier was grinning from ear to ear.

“You’re a sweet guy,” April exhaled. “I don’t know how I’ve not noticed just how sweet all this time.” April answered.

“Sometimes you just don’t see what’s right in front of you.” Xavier said before leaning forward and placing a kiss on her lips. They pulled apart as they heard the door opening and Ruby walked in followed by Dex a few seconds later.

“You alright Xav?” Ruby questioned.

“I’m doing just fine.” Xavier answered, glancing at April with a smile on his face.

“Good,” Ruby smiled as she sat down on the arm chair, Dex sitting on the arm of the arm chair, next to Ruby. “We just going to hang out here then or you up for heading back to the surf club?”

“I’d rather just stay here,” Xavier said. “But if you and Dex wanted to go play pool that’s fine by me.”

Dex gave a little smile before looking down to Ruby. “You want to?”

“Do you want to?” Ruby looked to April who looked to Xavier before shaking her head as she looked back to Ruby.

“I think I might just hang out here.” April gave her friend a look and Ruby gave a nod of understanding.

“Looks like it’s just me and you Dexy,” Ruby said standing up from the arm chair and grabbing Dex’s arm, dragging him up to his feet. “See you guys.” Ruby raised her eyebrows as she looked at April before they left the house.

“Why are you in such a rush to leave?” Dex questioned as they walked away from the house.

“Let’s just say I think we interrupted something.” Ruby said.

“April and Xav?” Dex screwed his face up. “I know he is like madly in love with her but I thought she was into someone else. Or was it Xav?”

“It was Scott,” Ruby answered. “But he’s shown he’s a bit of a jerk so...” Ruby shrugged. “And Xav did defend her so...” Ruby gave another little shrug.

“I tried defending her too.” Dex mumbled.

“It was more me you defended,” Ruby patted his arm. “So I guess I should say thank you.” Ruby said before she gave a little jump and kissed Dex’s cheek. Dex smiled as he ran his hand over her kiss.

“What was that for?” Dex questioned, his heart fluttering a little.

“Like I said. I was saying thank you.” Ruby answered.

“Oh.” Dex gave a little smile as he looked to her from a sideward glance. Boy was she gorgeous. He only wished that he had the courage to tell her.

“Anyways, c’mon,” Ruby grabbed Dex’s hand and started to walk faster, making her way to the surf club. “We have about an hour before I need to go home. Let’s see how many times I can whip your ass at pool.” Ruby laughed before they continued to walk to the surf club, Dex’s hand remaining in Ruby’s.

Daniel put the crown on the place mat, a grin on his face as he was excited for his dinner guest to arrive. Charlie stifled a laugh as there was a knock at the door. She walked over to answer, Daniel racing over and reaching the door first. “Hey Brax.” Daniel smiled up at him.

“Hey mate,” Brax smiled down at him. “This is for you.” Brax handed Charlie the bottle of red wine.

“Ah thank you.” Charlie smiled as she accepted the gift.

“And this is for you mate.” Brax handed a bottle of chocolate milk down to Daniel.

“Cool. Thank you.” Daniel giggled before running back into the apartment.

“Come in.” Charlie said and Brax smiled as he leaned forward placing a soft kiss on her cheek. Ruby watched from the corner of the hallway, a smile on her face before walking over.

“Where’s my present?” Ruby questioned.

“Uhm,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “I didn’t really know what you liked but if you let me know then I can go out and -”

“I don’t need anything,” Ruby laughed. “Besides, Daniel will share his chocolate milk. I love me some chocolate milk.” Ruby said, looking over to her brother who had heard what she said and was holding his milk protectively close to himself.

Charlie walked over to the kitchen, putting the bottle of wine down on the breakfast bar. “Make yourself at home,” Charlie told him. “Dinner will be 10 minutes. You okay with spaghetti and meatballs?” Charlie questioned. “I probably should have asked you that this afternoon.” Charlie gave a nervous laugh before she wiped her hand over her brow.

“That sounds great.” Brax smiled.

“Yeah well you haven’t had mum’s cooking yet.” Ruby mumbled. Charlie shot her a glance before she looked to Daniel pulling on Brax’s hand, getting him to sit down at the table.

“This is your crown,” Daniel told him. “I mades it special cos you are the guest of honours.” Daniel said.

“Ah thank you mate,” Brax lifted the cardboard crown up and put it on his head. Ruby stifled a laugh as she walked over to the fridge and took out the orange juice. “It’s cool.”

“You don’t have to wear it.” Charlie told him.

“Of course I do,” Brax answered. “I am the guest of honours,” Brax copied what Daniel had said. Charlie looked to her son who was grinning at Brax in the crown before mouthing a thank you to Brax. He gave a smile before looking to Daniel. “So how do I look mate?”

“Funny.” Daniel giggled.

“Funny?” Brax questioned, tickling Daniel’s sides, resulting in Daniel laughing. “I don’t think I am supposed to look funny. Shouldn’t you be saying I look like a King or something?” Brax said, continuing to tickle Daniel.

“A funny King then.” Daniel screeched through the laughter.

“Right, up at the table bud.” Charlie said and Brax stopped tickling Daniel and he climbed up onto his chair. Ruby walked over and put her glass of orange down on the table and put Daniel’s down in front of him.

“Thank you Ruby.” Daniel picked up the glass and took a drink.

“You’re welcome bud.” Ruby smiled at her little brother.

“Can I get you a drink?” Charlie questioned, Brax turning to face her. “There’s beer or there’s the wine. I’m sticking with water right now.”

“I’ll take a beer.” Brax answered and Charlie took a Corona from the fridge, opening the cap before giving it to Brax.

“Sorry I don’t have a lime wedge.” Charlie said.

“It’s fine.” Brax took a drink, watching Charlie as she went back to the kitchen to serve up the spaghetti and meatballs.

Thanks Spotd1, Sarah and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments. This will be the last post for a few weeks as my family are here to visit so will be busy with them.

Eighteen

After dinner they played a game of hungry hippo’s and looked much like a little family. Ruby then bathed and put Daniel to bed before going to her room to do her homework, leaving Charlie and Brax alone together. “Do you eh.....do you drink red wine?” Charlie questioned.

“Sometimes,” Brax gave a little nod. “You want to open the bottle I brought?”

“If you’d like to stay longer I will.” Charlie answered, looking Brax in the eye.

A little smile crept onto Brax’s face. “I’ll do it.” Brax stood up from the couch and walked to the kitchen, staring down at the drawers before looking back to Charlie who was making her way over.

“Top drawer.” Charlie told him, knowing he’d be looking for the corkscrew to open the wine. She leaned herself over the breakfast bar, watching as he opened the bottle of wine. He left it on the breakfast bar and walked over to the cabinet, opening the glass door and taking out two wine glasses. Charlie gave a little grin.

“What’s that for?” Brax questioned.

“You just look right at home,” Charlie told him. “When we were having dinner and playing that game with the kids....you just seem to fit right in.”

Brax smiled as he poured the glasses of wine. “Well I am glad you think that,” Brax replied. “And I have to say this does feel very.....normal.” Brax handed Charlie a glass before they clinked them together and took a drink. They stared into each other’s eyes for a moment before Charlie broken the contact.

“So eh....I have to go to the hospital tomorrow. Get Daniel’s pills. Talk with Dr Fisher a little more.” Charlie told him and Brax gave a little nod.

“What time?” Brax questioned.

“10am.” Charlie told him.

“Okay, I’ll come around about 9.30?” Brax answered. “That will give us time to get to the hospital, get parked and such?”

Charlie gave a little smile at Brax knowing she was asking him to go with her without her actually having to say it. “Yeah. Thank you.”

“You are very welcome,” Brax answered walking around the breakfast bar and stopping close to Charlie. He smiled as he lightly rubbed her cheek. “I’ll be here for you. Anything you need. Every step of the way.” Brax whispered. His smile grew a little larger before he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. Charlie smiled up at him before taking his hand and leading him back over to the couch. They sat down, Charlie snuggled closely to Brax.

“I’m really glad you moved across the hall.” Charlie mumbled, resting her head on his chest.

“Me too 6B, me too.” Brax ran his hand through her hair. He wasn’t quite sure what was going on with him and Charlie right now, but he knew that he wouldn’t want to be anywhere else but on the couch with her snuggled up against him.

Ruby walked into the kitchen, smiling as she saw her mother getting herself a glass of water. “Brax gone then?” Ruby questioned.

“Yeah he left a long time ago.” Charlie answered.

Ruby grinned at the big smile forming on her mother’s face. “He’ll be around again though, right?”

“He will,” Charlie nodded. “Why, didn’t you like him?”

“I liked him,” Ruby answered, sitting up at the breakfast bar as Charlie leaned over it. “He’s really sweet and is great with Daniel. And Daniel actually talks to him,” Ruby widened her eyes, a little surprised her brother was so talkative with him. “I think....well he’d fit with us,” Charlie smiled at hearing Ruby’s thoughts on Brax. “And it would be nice to see you with someone. You haven’t been with anyone since Roman and that was before Daniel was born.”

“What about Angelo?” Charlie questioned.

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “A few dates with him doesn’t count. I’m talking about the fact I can see you getting to the stage where you would call Brax your boyfriend.”

“Oh Ruby,” Charlie felt a little panicked as she shook her head. “I can’t think about that right now. Daniel’s health is all I care about. Brax is turning into a very good friend but right now I....” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head.

“Okay,” Ruby raised her eyebrows, knowing soon enough that Charlie would admit she wanted Brax to be her boyfriend but Ruby knew to never push her mother with things like that. “Well just thought I’d let you know that I’d be cool with him being around and you know, in my life.” Ruby smiled a little.

“Well thank you for letting me know.” Charlie gave her a little smile before looking to her watch. “Right, you should be off to bed. You’ve got school tomorrow.” Charlie said and Ruby sighed before jumping down from the seat. Charlie walked around and placed a soft kiss on her daughter’s forehead. “Goodnight.”

“Night mum.” Ruby replied before walking down the hall to her bedroom, Charlie following after her to go to bed herself.

Ruby met April at their usual spot to walk to school together. “Morning,” Ruby raised her eyebrows at April as they continued walking. “And how are you?”

“I’m good,” April answered. “You?”

“Yeah yeah I am all fine,” Ruby answered. “So....” Ruby gave her friend a sideward glance. “I am your best friend. You know you are supposed to tell me, right?”

“Tell you what?” April screwed her face up.

“C’mon,” Ruby hit April’s arm. “You know what I am talking about.”

“No Rubes, I really don’t.” April answered.

“You and Xav. Yesterday. What’s going on?” Ruby questioned.

“Ah yes, that,” April bit her lip, but Ruby saw her getting a glint in her eye. “We might have kissed a few times,” April answered. “He’s always been....Xavier, you know,” April exhaled. “We’ve been mates since we were little kids. I always only saw him as a friend but after he defended me like that, I don’t know, I just suddenly saw him differently and....” April shrugged.

“You know he’s liked you for like ever,” Ruby told her. “I’m surprised you haven’t noticed.”

“Like you and Dex, you mean?” April questioned.

“What?” Ruby scrunched her face up, confused.

“He likes you. It’s pretty obvious,” April said. “I think it’s only been a recent crush though. Lately I’ve noticed he looks at you differently.”

“No.” Ruby kept her face screwed up. “Dex sees me as a mate.”

“I’m telling you,” April exhaled. “He likes you. It’s been ever since we play truth or dare last week,” April told her. “Since the bathroom incident, which by the way, you still haven’t told me the truth about that happened in there.”

Ruby sighed lightly. “Okay, Dex was upset that Xav said he needed to kiss one of us. He hadn’t ever kissed a girl.”

“What about Annie?” April screwed her face up. “They were together for nearly a year.”

“Well Annie is....Annie so,” Ruby shrugged. “So anyways, maybe I uhm.....well.....maybe.” Ruby bit her lip.

“You kissed him.” April gasped.

“Just so he could get his first kiss out of the way,” Ruby replied. “I was helping him out so he wouldn’t be as nervous around girls. I was being a good friend.”

“Well looks like you have had quiet an effect on him,” April said. “Must have been some kiss because Dex definitely what to kiss you again.” April said, patting her friends shoulder as they continued the walk to school, Ruby left wondering if what April said was actually true.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. Got myself a little lost with this but hopefully it sorts out soon. :)

Nineteen

Charlie and Brax were in the hospital, waiting on Dr Fisher to come and talk to them. “Thanks again for being here today.” Charlie gave him a smile as she glanced in his direction.

“It’s no problem,” Brax answered. “Like I’ve said I’ll be here for whatever you need.” Brax put his hand out to the side and took Charlie’s into his, squeezing it in comfort. Charlie’s smile grew larger before the door opened and Dr Fisher walked in.

“Mr and Mrs Buckton,” Dr Fisher spoke. “Sorry I’m a little late.”

“It’s fine,” Charlie said, noticing it was now the second time that Dr Fisher had referred to Brax as Mr Buckton. She would correct her eventually but right now, she wanted more information on her son’s illness so a little mistake like that didn’t matter to her. “Uhm what’s...I....” Charlie felt at a loss at what to actually ask.

“We’ve caught this early,” Dr Fisher said. “This medication may be all he needs,” Dr Fisher gave a little smile as she looked from Charlie to Brax then back to Charlie. “He’ll need to take two different pills for 4 days then he’ll have a break for 10 days then take the pills again.”

“And that’s just once a day?” Brax questioned.

Dr Fisher nodded. “You can put it into a routine of him having them with his breakfast,” Dr Fisher said. “With kids making up a chart for when he needs to take them could be helpful. He can check it in the morning and he can let you know if he needs his pills or not.”

Charlie gave a little nod, feeling tears stinging her eyes. She still hated the fact her son was sick. “And you’re sure they’ll work?” Charlie’s hand was still being held tightly by Brax’s.

“Like I said,” Dr Fisher answered. “It helps most of the time although some cases do lead to stem cell transplants.” Of course she hated bringing this up but she felt like they needed to know everything, especially to help Daniel through this.

“That’s bone marrow, right?” Brax questioned, seeing pure fear on Charlie’s face.

“It is,” Dr Fisher nodded. “Of course siblings and parents are our best chance for match,” Dr Fisher pointed between Charlie and Brax as she spoke. “So, we’d look into that of course.”

“He has a sister too,” Charlie answered. “But she’s diabetic. It wouldn’t affect anything, would it?”

“Is she insulin dependent?” Dr Fisher questioned.

“Yes.” Charlie nodded her head.

“Then unfortunately she cannot be a donor,” Dr Fisher told them. “But we do have a register and I’m sure family and friends would step forward if it came to this.”

Charlie took a deep breath. “Hey babe it’s alright,” Brax squeezed her hand tighter. “He’ll fight this without a stem cell transplant. He’s a strong kid.”

“Yeah,” Charlie exhaled sounding very unsure. “So uhm...what else do we need to know right now?” Charlie took another deep breath as she listened carefully to the information Dr Fisher was giving her.

Daniel, Kaya and VJ were playing in the garden as Charlie, Bianca and Leah sat around the outside table, watching the kids in between their chatting. Leah glanced down seeing they were all safe before looking back to her friends. “He looks so healthy. You wouldn’t know he was sick.” Leah was still astonished at Daniel’s news.

“It’ll come,” Charlie spoke quietly. “The Chemo will take a lot out of him. Especially if the pills don’t work and he’s needs to take it intravenously.” Charlie bit her bottom lip as she looked out to her son, who was chasing Kaya around the trampoline, as VJ was jumping up and down on it, giggling as he watched them.

“Well let’s hope the pills are enough,” Bianca leaned forward and squeezed Charlie’s hand. “But you know we are here for you all the way. Hospital appointments, watching Daniel for a few hours to let you have a break, anything Charlie.”

“I know,” Charlie gave her friends a thankful smile. “But Brax has been...” Charlie trailed off.

“The perfect neighbour and more?” Leah raised her eyebrows.

“He’s a friend.” Charlie cleared her throat.

“Well you like him Charlie so watch you don’t get stuck there,” Bianca said and Charlie screwed her face up, looking a little confused. “You and Angelo were really good friends and you ended things with him for that very reason. It was weird trying to take things further because you were such good friends and you don’t want to be stuck in the friend’s zone with Brax, do you?” Bianca questioned and Charlie hesitantly shook her head. “I know it’ll be hard thinking about being with a man again after all you’ve been through but not everyone is going to be like....” Bianca trailed off. “Well you know who I am talking about.”

“I know,” Charlie answered. “And it’s not about him. Well not all of it. I’m terrified to fully commit to a guy because of him. I tried that with Roman and we were a family. Me, Roman, Rubes and Nicole and then....” Charlie shook her head. “I mean we were engaged. We were going to start a life together then he....” Charlie sighed. “You know it’s more about Daniel anyways. He’s....I need to put all my focus on him right now and it’s not fair to ask Brax to play second fiddle.”

“Charlie no matter what you’d always put your kids first anyways,” Leah told her, her hand rubbing her stomach. “And it will be good for you to keep normality in your life. Starting a new relationship and having something else to focus on some of the time will probably be good for Daniel too.”

Charlie pursed her lips together. “We don’t even know if he likes me in that way.”

“We know,” Bianca answered. “I saw the way he looked at you that day. It’s obvious.”

Charlie went a little red in the face. “We’ll see how things go.” Charlie took a deep breath, her heart once again fluttering at Brax being the topic of conversation.

Thank you Sarah and CharlieAndBraxLover for the comments. :)

Twenty

Charlie and Brax were sitting on the couch at Charlie’s place. Brax had come over just after Daniel had been put to bed and Charlie was happy for the offer of company as Ruby was still out with April. He brought round some Corona’s and they were about half way through their first bottle. Talk had somehow turned onto relationships and Brax had been telling her all about his last girlfriend. “So, here was me walking into our house with an engagement ring in my pocket and I get into the bedroom and find her in bed with my best mate.” Brax exhaled sadly.

“I’m sorry,” Charlie leaned forward and rubbed his arm in comfort. “Must have been horrible to see.”

“Yeah it wasn’t the nicest,” Brax looked down, pulling at the label of his beer bottle. “But obviously we weren’t meant to be. It was...well obviously someone else is supposed to end up with me,” Brax looked back up to Charlie. They caught each other’s gaze and were silent for a moment, just staring into each other’s eyes. “So,” Brax broke the eye contact. “How about you? You been married?” Brax thought it was very possible, given she had two children.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I was engaged though.”

“To Daniel’s father?” Brax questioned and Charlie quickly shook her head.

“His name was Roman,” Charlie said. “He was....” Charlie exhaled. “He was my first love...my.....my only love,” Charlie clicked her tongue. “I was 18 when I met him, he was 22. Obviously I had Ruby then. She was 4. Roman had a 5 year old daughter and we became a family. He was in the SAS so would be gone for months at a time but we built a nice life together. Nicole never really saw her mother too much so it was sort of like I had two children but she was great and it was nice.” Charlie gave a sad sort of smile, thinking back on the life she once had.

“So what happened?” Brax wondered.

“After four years together we got engaged,” Charlie ran her hand over her wedding ring finger. “But Roman was still in the SAS. He’d been there since he was 18. He was 26 by then and had two years left before finishing his 10 year service. We decided to have a long engagement and get married when he was finished with the SAS and maybe even have a couple of kids of our own but then when his ten years were up he said he didn’t want to leave,” Charlie exhaled. “And I couldn’t do it anymore. I hated it when he was gone. I was constantly worried about him. Every time the phone rang or there was a knock at the door I feared the worst.”

“I could imagine it wouldn’t be easy.” Brax lightly rubbed her upper arm.

Charlie gave her head a little shake. “And for the girls, they needed a father that would always be there for them. One that would be there to see them grow up. I....in the end I told him that I couldn’t do things that way anymore and pretty much said it was the SAS or a life with me and the girls.”

“And by the looks of it he chose the former.” Brax pursed his lips and Charlie gave a little nod.

“He felt like he still had more to give,” Charlie sighed. “Nicole stayed with me for a while afterwards but then she reconnected with her mum and eventually went back to live with her.”

“Well Roman is an idiot for not choosing you,” Brax said. “Although maybe that’s worked out for the best for me,” Brax spoke tentatively as he leaned forward and rubbed her cheek. “You’re perfect.” Brax smiled before leaning in a placing a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen a little before pulling back, smiling as she looked into his deep green eyes.

“I like you,” Charlie smiled. “But I....I don’t know if right now I can -”

“We can just see what happens,” Brax told her. “I know Daniel will be your main priority right now,” Charlie gave him a thankful smile. “Speaking of Daniel is he....I mean is Roman his -”

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “Ruby and Daniel have the same father.”

“Oh,” Brax sounded a little surprised. “He an on again off again thing then?”

“Never really on,” Charlie bit her lip. “For a few months when we were young but,” Charlie shook her head. “He doesn’t have anything to do with the kids. I’m all they have.”

“I see,” Brax nodded his head. “Don’t you think maybe.....maybe....I mean,” Brax sounded nervous to say what was on his mind. Clearly Charlie didn’t like this guy. “Maybe if it came to it, for Daniel’s sake.... I mean he could save his life.”

“He’s not an option,” Charlie shook her head. “I don’t want him to know about the children.” Charlie started pulling at the label on her bottle of beer, clearly needing a distraction from the conversation.

Brax rubbed his forehead, confused. Surely if they had Daniel together then he must have known about Ruby. “I uhm...”

“Look really confused,” Charlie exhaled. “Look, the kids’ father, he’s....” Charlie took a deep breath. She looked into Brax’s eyes, knowing she could trust him. They had this amazing connection already and Charlie knew eventually they were going to end up together, when the time was right. “I want to tell you,” Charlie took another deep breath. “But it’s really hard for me to talk about him and I....” Charlie exhaled heavily. “I just need a minute.”

Brax moved a little closer to her on the couch, putting the beers down on the coffee table. “Charlie don’t make yourself upset,” Brax rubbed her upper arm again. “You don’t have to tell me anything you are not comfortable with.”

“I want to,” Charlie said. “Especially if we are going to have a relationship because it’s something that’s important and I can’t give you....I can’t give you everything a girlfriend does right away, I mean.....it takes me a while to...” Charlie paused to compose herself.

“Just take your time.” Brax spoke softly, continuing to rub her arm. He saw fear in her eyes but also saw her face soften as she looked directly at him. Charlie took another deep breath before opening her mouth to tell him of her past and of the kids’ father.

Archived