Maddy Osborne - Kassandra Clementi

51 minutes ago, sindikatas said:

I'm afraid this business with Matt and Oscar ruined her again.

I think it's quite harsh to say it's ruined her. Yes it could have played out better but she's progressed a lot and has been able to mature it's not surprising that there's little shakes in her development she's still growing up in many ways but this is not strong enough or justified to say it's ruined all the hard work she's done over the past few months. 

2 hours ago, Tebzpriscilla said:

I think it's quite harsh to say it's ruined her. Yes it could have played out better but she's progressed a lot and has been able to mature it's not surprising that there's little shakes in her development she's still growing up in many ways but this is not strong enough or justified to say it's ruined all the hard work she's done over the past few months. 

I guess, you're right, I was just full of emotion. Nevertheless, she still is in my bad books at the moment.

Edited by sindikatas

3 hours ago, sindikatas said:

I'm afraid this business with Matt and Oscar ruined her again.

I don't think so.  I think people are forgetting that Maddy, Oscar and Matt are teenagers.  Their relationships will often be very intense but not lasting.  I actually think Maddy has behaved mostly well in this recent storyline.

On 1.12.2015, 22.32.49, Tebzpriscilla said:

Where's all the Maddy fans these days? Did they all dissapear. ??Oh well I'll be her fan still?

I'm still a fan, don't worry! I just hate drama, so I haven't really been defending her lately...:P

I feel like people make it seem like she and Matt had this huge thing going on behind Oscar's back, and that's in my opinion absolutely not what happened. Maddy's feelings for Matt started after Oscar began to push her away, and especially after Oscar punched Matt. I guess telling Matt she had feelings for him was sort of leading him on, but she also said multiple times that they had to make their feelings go away because she loved and wanted to be with Oscar. And what Maddy said to Oscar, about him "holding on to the fantasy of the nerd getting the girl" (or w/e) was said the head of the moment right after she found out he cheated on her, so of course she was hurt and upset, and she felt terrible even before he went missing.

(To be honest, the more people in the show and on this forum make Oscar out to be the only victim and Maddy the only bad guy, the less sorry I feel for him :ph34r:)

Anyway, the most important part in my opinion is that Maddy and Oscar in the end realized that they both contribiuted to the destruction of the relationship, and they still care about each other and they're still friends -_-

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Therese K said:

I'm still a fan, don't worry! I just hate drama, so I haven't really been defending her lately...:P

I feel like people make it seem like she and Matt had this huge thing going on behind Oscar's back, and that's in my opinion absolutely not what happened. Maddy's feelings for Matt started after Oscar began to push her away, and especially after Oscar punched Matt. I guess telling Matt she had feelings for him was sort of leading him on, but she also said multiple times that they had to make their feelings go away because she loved and wanted to be with Oscar. And what Maddy said to Oscar, about him "holding on to the fantasy of the nerd getting the girl" (or w/e) was said the head of the moment right after she found out he cheated on her, so of course she was hurt and upset, and she felt terrible even before he went missing.

(To be honest, the more people in the show and on this forum make Oscar out to be the only victim and Maddy the only bad guy, the less sorry I feel for him :ph34r:)

Anyway, the most important part in my opinion is that Maddy and Oscar in the end realized that they both contribiuted to the destruction of the relationship, and they still care about each other and they're still friends -_-

Ah at least there's still some out there lol I can't believe anyone would defend Oscar, especially people claiming that Maddy has been emotionally cheating for weeks when it's only two weeks since finding out about Matts feelings. ?Sigh this forum can be difficult at times eh

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of feel like this year my greatest hopes and worst fears about Maddy have been realised. She needed a storyline to let her shine and outgrow the “spoilt brat” cliché. I was hoping the cancer storyline would do that and it did. The two standout moments for me were the quiet scene where she turns up at the train station as Oscar’s about to leave and admits that she’s frightened, but goes home and faces up to what’s happening to her anyway. And then her determination at the colour run and the bristling with subtext “I’ve got to do it on my own…I’m not going to let it beat me.” She managed to move me almost to tears both times and, much as I was disappointed with the way she and Oscar got together and broke up straightaway, in retrospect I think it was needed. She needed to stop using Oscar as a crutch and stand on her own two feet and beat it on her own, and only then were they ready for a relationship that wasn’t co-dependent.

And then we had the move towards putting her with Matt, which was everything I feared it would be, the worst kind of shallow teen drama. Maddy and Oscar’s relationship was one of the best things to come out of the show in a long time, and the contempt with which it was treated and lack of respect for viewers who’d invested in them leaves me thinking the show just didn’t deserve them. They were given no screen time or storylines until the show started trying to break them up, suggesting they were just too mature for the writers to handle. One of the many problems I had with Dexter and April was the way they weakened April, making her fragile and dependent, because they just didn’t know how to write Dexter with a strong girlfriend. Maddy, thankfully, didn’t suffer the same fate, but they still didn’t know how to write a feisty girl and a nice guy together, so she gets put with Matt because it’s easier to have her with the snarky bad boy. Even the episode where Oscar and Maddy sleep together spends most of its time trying to make us go “Awww, poor Matt, the girl that he’s literally liked for about a day is in love with someone else.”

The ways in which they tried to show Matt as the better option for her were absurd. The soul mates quiz was a joke: Are we seriously meant to think Matt would be a better boyfriend because he knows her favourite movie? (It doesn’t help that it came shortly after a scene of James prepping for a meeting with Maddy by looking at her Facebook page to learn her likes and dislikes. So, basically Matt’s as suited to Maddy as James is.) Then they make a big deal about Oscar calling her easy…except he didn’t do anything of the sort. He had a knee jerk reaction of “That’s different” to Maddy pointing out that they’ve made the same mistakes as Evelyn, then in trying to justify it he dug himself a bigger and bigger hole and she put words into his mouth. (And it was disappointing (yes, there’s that word again, sorry) that a lot of viewers nodded in agreement with the idea that Evelyn is less experienced than Maddy and less casual about sex. By now, with Evelyn spending the year making up for a lot of lost time and Maddy practically being a nun, they seem as experienced as each other. And there’s a case for Evelyn being more casual about sex than Maddy: When Evie wants it, she wants it.) Then, for no real reason, Oscar asks Matt to put in a word for him, and Matt proceeds to do nothing of the sort, instead cheering Maddy up by telling her how wonderful she is. (Guess the fact that Matt launched two bile-filled character attacks on Maddy, where he actually did pretty much call her easy, not so long previous isn’t mean to indicate that he isn’t right for her. Even though it does.) And when Oscar and Maddy chat, they sort it out straightaway anyway.

So, for our UK finale we got Maddy’s birthday, which was held up as an example of how perfect for her Matt is and how rubbish Oscar is. And what do I see? Oscar spends a lot of time organising a surprise party for Maddy which she loved until Tank trashed it, and spent all his savings on a gift to Maddy that she wouldn’t have picked for herself but appreciated and wore because she understood the thought behind it. (And the way that was layered on with a trowel, with Josh making a big speech about how much she hates gold jewellery for no reason, left even people who hadn’t taken sides in the shipping war shaking their heads at how ridiculous it was. What, this is a huge dislike that’s never been mentioned before and only Josh knows about? If she’d just not liked that particular bracelet, fair enough, but saying she doesn’t like gold jewellery at all? What’s that about?) Meanwhile, Matt gives her a violin, she’s briefly pleased and thanks him for it (but, as she’s never played a violin in all the time Matt’s known her and never talked with him about it, it feels like he just looked on her Facebook page to see what she liked rather than having any big insight), then he spends the rest of the episode smirking and making smug comments about “This won’t end well” while her birthday gets ruined. Sorry, which of these is meant to be better for her?! (And what happens to this fabled violin that’s supposedly a symbol of Matt’s deep spiritual understanding of Maddy? Does Maddy even play it or does she just stuff it in a cupboard and forget about it, given that, as she said to James when he pulled the same trick, she’s not actually into the violin anymore?)

So, is that it? Well, apparently not. Apparently we have to sit through Oscar being turned into a jealous boyfriend and cheat, because it’s the only way to make Maddy choosing an immature jerk like Matt over him seem plausible, and Maddy stringing two boys along in a don’t-want-them-don’t-want-anyone-else-to-have-them kind of way. It’s a massive backwards step for her character, however they play it, that she’d even contemplate going out with Matt. He’s the sort of boy she’d have dated two years. Heck, he’s the boy she did date two years ago…or rather he’s the boy that took advantage of her to grab a quick grope after her drink was spiked. (We’re probably meant to have forgotten that, too.) The more I hear people raving about how suited Matt is to her and how adorable the way he looks at her is, the more I dislike him for dragging her down and resent the fact that he’s going to be hanging around spoiling her scenes for me next year. Maddy’s been a favourite of mine for as long as she’s been in the show, yet now I want her to leave, because I’m remembering all the other girls I went from loving to hating because they let boys like Matt treat them like doormats. Maybe Kassandra’s too good an actress to let that happen. But keeping a character likable when the script’s trying to make them unlikable is one thing, making the audience respect them when the script is stripping them of their self-respect and acting like we should be cheering is another. She deserves more than to be reduced to Matt’s babysitter but that’s the role she’s been cast in. A waste.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just when i thought that i'd lost interest in caring about Mads, oh man, along comes potentially a BELTER of a storyline !!!!!

I can't believe ....surely something will happen and she won't have to have her arm amputated, like the new Doc said at end of tonight's triple ep  !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that Josh miraculously recovered from his blindness, but IF they go through with this ........ you can't regrow an arm !!!! .......

BUT as macarb [sp?] as this sounds, i will be interesting to see how Maddy copes .... IF it happens. 

REALLY looking fwd to next week to find out !!!!