Shadow of the Day

Guest mizziette

Great update,

Don't trust biancas dad one bit :angry:!!

The whole jade asking why she doesn't have a mummy, and the ending was just heartbreaking :(!!

In a way I think that Brax needs to let Charlie go, because the more he holds onto her the more she stays around, and her prescence will sometimes cause havoc and he will end up resenting her for that :(!!

More soon please :D

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much...

FORTY

Jade pondered Ruby’s proposition carefully as they sat on the beach together staring out into the ocean. She bit into her ice cream cone.

‘What’s going through your mind, little one?’ Ruby asked her little sister.

‘What if the other kids ask why?’

‘What are they asking why about?’

‘Why you with me instead of mummy,’ Jade shrugged sadly.

‘Does that mean we can go together to the dance?’ Jade nodded. Ruby smiled and put her arm around Jade. ‘You know what; it’s no body’s business but ours. Who cares what people think? As long as you and I have fun at the dance, it’s all that matters.’

‘I guess.’ Jade sighed.

‘We are going to have so much fun.’ Ruby said enthusiastically to try and cheer her up. ‘I’m really glad we’re going together. Dancing and music and snacks; I’ve never been to a mother daughter dance before.’

‘Never ever? Not even with mummy?’ Jade gaped.

‘No, not even. None of the schools I ever went to did dances.’

‘That’s sad. They so much fun Ruby. You have dancing and music and snacks and juice and more snacks and you know, stuff.’ Jade’s eyes lit up.

‘Wow that sounds great. Will you dance with me?’

Jade bit her lip self-consciously. ‘I no-no how,’

‘Oh, that’s okay. It’s easy. I’ll show you.’ Ruby assured. ‘Finish your ice cream,’

Jade took the last chunk of her ice cream wafer into her mouth. Glancing at Ruby’s bruised ankle, she leaned over and touched it lightly. ‘Your feets are purple. It looks yucky.’

‘Yeah,’ Ruby frowned and wiggled her toes. ‘It feels yucky too. I got the cast off on the weekend.’

‘Oh,’ Jade nodded. She curiously poked the ankle with her finger. ‘It hurt?’

Ruby winced at the touch and pulled her foot under her as she laughed. ‘Yes baby, it hurts so be careful.’

‘Not to fall and go bam onto the floor? Daddy says that what happen to you.’

‘Yes, careful not to fall and crack your head.’

‘You be silly Ruby, your head’s not cracky.’ Jade giggled.

‘No, but it’s pretty bruised. You just can’t tell because I’m wearing makeup.’ Ruby pulled back the bangs from her face revealing a faint remnant of a bruise above her eyebrow.

Jade got on her knees and curiously poked her sister’s temple. ‘Oh, look it goes red when I touch.’

‘Does it really?’ Ruby rolled her eyes blandly and pulled the little hand away. She stood up and dragged Jade up with her. ‘Come on; let’s get you back to your dad, before he calls a search party.’

‘Parties are really lots fun.’ Jade smiled as she took Ruby’s hand and they walked up the beach. ‘But sometimes I get tingly in my tummy.’

‘You’re a shy little thing aren’t you?’ Jade bit her lip shyly. Ruby smiled brightly down. ‘That’s okay; mummy was shy when she was little too.’

‘She was?’ Jade gleamed at the thought of having something in common with Charlie.

‘Yeah, oh so I’ve heard. Of course she grew out of it and turned into the opinionated stubborn person she was but once upon a time…’ The girls walked hand in hand together chatting aimlessly all the way home.

The first thing Brax noticed was that it was very white, almost enough to blind. Brax had to squint against the light; it was that bright. He didn’t know where he was but it was deafeningly still. Each step he took echoed endlessly louder than a drum.

‘Hello?’ Brax called out and his voice echoed and echoed. He turned around slowly but everywhere he looked everything just got whiter, lighter and brighter. When he rotated back to the direction he’d been fist looking, there was a faint blip of fading colour far in the distance. Pastel and moving, the colours grabbed his attention.

Brax walked slowly over to the moving scene in front of him and once it began increasingly clearer sped into a light jog. It seemed that the further he ran; he still wasn’t getting any nearer. His legs felt numb and rooted.

‘Charlie?’ Brax noticed the light bite of her lip and giggle in front of him and moved faster towards her. It was like he was looking at a moving picture and Charlie oblivious to him. Charlie brushed her fingers over her hair and leant down to giggle at someone unknown.

Brax finally reached Charlie but the image of her disappeared, leaving the bright glow of white in its wake. Brax was exhausted from the impromptu exercise and locked his hands on his head to ease his breath. Turning full circle again, he came across something blue and blurry in the distance.

‘Charlie?’ Brax slowly walked over to the pale blue blur in front of him. It all became clearer with each step. It looked like a blonde nurse in scrubs. She was carrying something, a blue bundle. Solemnly, she held it out to him. Brax continued to walk towards her and reached out the unknown bundle in her hands but never got there.

Brax woke up sweaty and breathless staring at the ceiling and gasping for air. It was still dark out his window. He took deep breaths from his mouth to calm his breaths and wiped the sweat off his forehead. In a fury, he kicked the blanket off him; he felt suffocated.

Pulling his legs over the edge of the bed, Brax sat with his head in his hands. He didn’t know how long he sat like that but when he looked up, tiny innocent eyes stared wide eyed back at him. Jade hugged Esther tightly and bit her lip.

‘What’s wrong Jade; couldn’t sleep?’ Brax tried to smile lightly.

Jade shook her head and sat next to Brax, letting him take her in his arms. ‘You scream.’

‘You checking up on me, honey?’ Brax grinned as he held her in his lap.

‘Are you okay daddy?’ Jade asked in a whisper.

‘Yeah honey, I’m fine. It was just a bad dream.’

‘Oh, I get those. Those are bad ones.’ Jade scrunched her face and then glanced concernedly at her father. She hugged her arms around his neck. ‘You want me to sleep here so you feel better and not get scared no more?’

‘You know what; I think I feel better already.’ Brax laughed and ruffled Jade’s hair. ‘Thanks for looking out for me, eh,’

Jade gleamed. ‘You look out for me. I look out for you,’

Brax laughed again. ‘That’s a good philosophy. I like that.’

Good news. It wasn’t good news. It was terrible news. He just couldn’t be getting better. If that old man didn’t die soon and if Jake didn’t get his transplant soon…NO, he couldn’t go through this again. He’d been through this endless cycle too many times. Jake knew his health just get worse after a few more weeks without a transplant. The doctors knew this too but they still smiled and told him the so called good news. Jake was getting better and would be discharged soon. And sooner or later he’d just get readmitted again. It was a vicious cycle.

Improving put him down the transplant list. The better he was, the less urgent his condition was. Jake was getting desperate. It was desperation that prompted him to risk everything with his dangerous ideas.

‘Here you go, darling,’ Valerie entered the room after having put the flowers into a vase. She placed the vase onto the bed side table. ‘Really brightens up the room doesn’t it?’

‘Thanks for picking them from my garden mum.’ Jake observed the flowers with curiosity. ‘Did you bring all the flowers I told you to?’

‘Yes,’ Valerie looked at her watch. ‘I have to go to work, I’ll see you Sunday in two days to discharge you yeah?’

Jake remained silent as she closed the door behind her and he sat on the bed and peered intently at the flowers to make sure his mother got everything from his garden. He lightly brushed a pinkish purple one. Yes, that was the one he needed.

Rhododendron was a poisonous flower but Jake knew how to use it effectively to ensure he got what he wanted. Keeping it in his fist, he waited patiently and stared at the ceiling.

It turned out he didn’t have to wait long.

Dex entered the room cautiously and only saw a still figure lying on his back staring upwards. He hated the prison rooms. With the tray in one hand, Dex assumed Jake was asleep and tip toed to place the lunch on the over-bed table. Just as he was about to place it on the table, Jake turned his head expressionlessly and stared deep into Dex, searing a hole into his soul. Dex flinched.

‘Oh, um, hello Mr Pirovic…this is…I, um, brought your lunch.’ Dex stammered and took a step back.

‘I’m not blind, squint.’ Jake said tonelessly. Even in his death bed, he was an intimidating man. He crunched the rhododendron leaves in his fist and smiled smugly.

‘No, I didn’t think you were sir, Jake, Mr Pirovic.’ Dex stuttered with a nervous giggle and tried to back out quietly.

‘Did you just giggle?’ Jake frowned.

Dex giggled again and scratched his head. He immediately stopped himself. ‘No.’

‘I could’ve sworn you just giggled like a little girl.’ Jake pressed, finding a thrill in his effect on the scrawny nurse.

‘No, no, I did not giggle, no siree, not me,’ Dex half saluted and bumped into the door. ‘You must’ve mistaken me for someone else. Someone else that’s not me,’

‘Yeah, it must’ve been those damn imaginary voices I’ve been hearing eh,’ Jake smugly raised his eyebrows daring the nurse to agree and consequently put his foot in his mouth.

‘Got to go, duty calls.’ Dex giggled nervously again and opened the door and slipped out. Finally outside, he sighed with relief as he held onto the door knob. ‘Why do I get stuck feeding the psychopathic murderers?’

‘You okay Dex?’ April asked.

Dex jumped and straightened his nurse’s shirt.

Inside, Jake was pleased to finally be left alone. He took the poisonous flower in his fist and scrunched it to grains before dropping it over the pasta plate Dex had brought him. For a second, he had reservations. There was even a hint of fear in his eyes. And then he thought of what he could gain. It was a risky move but just waiting around was riskier. He had to be bold.

With a deep breath, Jake pushed all his reservations and fears out of his mind and took a spoonful of pasta.

Great update,

cute that ruby is going to go with jade to the mother daughter dance instead :wub:!!

Brax is going to be so devastated if he actually funds out that Charlie was pregnant with his baby before she died :(!!

Jade offering to sleep in his bed incest he got scared was just adorable :wub:!!

Dont think that jakes plan is going to work out like he planned....

More soon please :D

FORTY ONE

As Brax closed the empty restaurant for the day, he felt a presence behind him and swiftly turned around. Since Leah’s house, he hadn’t seen Charlie and he had been starting to get worried.

‘I thought you’d gone for good again.’ Brax bit the inside of his cheek. ‘You’ve been gone over a week.’

‘Well, I’m here aren’t I?’ Charlie smiled reassuringly.

‘What were you doing in your old room the other day at Leah’s?’ Brax asked as he placed the chairs on the table after closing the restaurant.

‘What do you mean?’ Charlie asked.

‘Exactly what I said; you were quiet afterwards.’

Charlie shrugged. Tonight she was dressed up for dinner in a little black dress. ‘Maybe you should take a look inside yourself.’

‘It’s locked.’ Brax pointed out.

‘I’m sure a clever boy like you could fix that dilemma.’

‘Is there actually something in the room or are you just being your usual cryptic self?’

‘I don’t know. Am I?’ Brax didn’t smile back so Charlie sighed. ‘It’s something I needed to do.’

‘Yeah, cryptic,’ Brax walked over behind the bar to close the till.

‘Honey, you already know what’s in that room. I already told you.’ Charlie spoke in almost a whisper.

‘No, you didn’t. I think I’d remember.’

‘You wouldn’t. You never have. But you need to.’ A tear slid down Charlie’s cheek. For some reason, Brax was really uncomfortable with the conversation but he didn’t know why.

Brax reached out across the bar and held her hand tightly. He was just about to change the subject when Casey and April walked in.

‘Hey Brax,’ Casey tapped on the bar peering through the other side. ‘April left her purse here after dinner.’

‘Yeah, I’ll see what I can do.’ Brax was still recovering from the sudden interruption and hadn’t moved a muscle.

To anyone else, he holding Charlie would be seen as clenching his fists. ‘Are you okay?’

‘Yeah, yeah, mate, I’m just a little off. I haven’t been getting much sleep lately.’ Brax unclenched and looked in the drawers under the bar. ‘Ah, here you go.’

April gratefully took her white leather clutch back. ‘Thanks. This little thing has my whole life in here.’

‘Anytime,’ Brax smiled.

‘You sure you’re alright?’ Casey asked, not convinced.

‘It’s late. You should take April home.’ Brax ignored him. Casey sighed and he and April began walking back to the door.

They were interrupted. ‘April?’

April turned around. ‘What is it?’

‘Um, I have a…well…it’s a mate.’ Brax scratched his head nervously. ‘My mate…says he sees things that aren’t there. I don’t know what to make of that eh. He talks raving mad sometimes and he was perfectly sane before…’

Brax had trailed off and was looking at April expectantly. Luckily, he saw no sign of doubt in her eyes. Instead she smiled. ‘Well, if he’s seeing things, your friend should really see a doctor. Hallucinations can be mental; schizophrenia or severe trauma but there might be an underlying physical cause for the experience. Medications, sleep deprivation, dementia, even brain tumour, it really depends on a medical examination. I can’t tell you for sure.’

‘So there’s something physically wrong.’ Brax hung his head.

‘Not necessarily, like I said, it could be a variety of things. I can’t say for sure without seeing your friend.’ April smiled. ‘Hope that helped,’

‘Yeah, thanks.’ Brax smiled good bye.

‘Hey, do you mind me asking who this mate is?’ Casey crinkled his forehead. ‘I know all your friends; you don’t have many and I haven’t seen anything suss.’

‘Little thing called privacy Case, you should respect it sometimes.’ Brax chastised him. ‘And for the record, I have plenty of mates.’

Casey shrugged cheekily. ‘Could’ve fooled me, you’re always by yourself.’

Brax chuckled and flung a tea towel in his direction. ‘Get on out of here. I have to lock up.’

Brax woke up in a sweat again for the third night in a row. He turned and jumped a little when he noticed Jade sitting cross legged on his bed, staring. ‘Are you okay?’

Brax smiled as he tried to calm his heart rate and wipe the sweat away. ‘Yeah, I’m fine. You really don’t need to keep checking up on me, you know.’

‘Did you have the bad dream again daddy?’ Jade asked.

Brax just stared at the ceiling. This was the second time that night he’d had the dream and even though it shook him up, he couldn’t understand the meaning of it. The worst part was Jade was losing sleep taking care of him when it was supposed to be the other way around.

‘Go back to sleep sweet heart.’ Jade stared at Brax with concern for second longer before lying down and closing her eyes.

‘Night daddy, don’t worry about the bad dream, okay?’

‘Okay,’ Brax smiled as he flung his legs over the edge of the bed and grabbed the phone. Worrying was just about the only thing he was doing. Quietly tip toeing out of his room, he sat on the couch and contemplated before dialling.

‘Crisis helpline, how may I help you?’

‘Are you the girl I talked to the last time, Elsie?’ The voice sounded so soft.

Ruby wriggled uncomfortably in her seat when she heard the voice on the other end of the line on her graveyard shift at the crisis centre which took calls twenty four hours a day. The office had been quiet most of the night except for three or four drunken confessions.

‘Um, yes, that’s me.’ Quietly, so as not to wake some of the sleeping volunteers in the office, Ruby hoped this wouldn’t be the day Brax recognised her.

‘I’ve been having some dreams lately, nightmares.’ Brax confided. ‘I’m in this white hall and it’s so bright but then there’s this little pale blue thing in front of me and I’m running to it but not getting anywhere and when I eventually do…I wake up.’

‘How long have you been having these dreams?’ Ruby asked. The second call from Brax was a little easier than the first.

‘On and off the last few years, I guess. They started again a couple of weeks ago and it’s been almost daily since then. It’s affecting my daughter; she’s worrying about me and stays awake watching me to make sure I’m alright. She’s four, she shouldn’t be feeling obliged to look after me.’

Jade, the girl was full of heart. Ruby pursed her lips. ‘I know it’s not easy when a parent is having problems. My mother had depression; I spent a lot of time looking after her. Do you know what the nightmares mean? It might help to understand what you’re scared of.’

Ruby hadn’t known why she shared a piece of herself; she knew she wasn’t supposed to. Brax replied. ‘I’m just a whole lot of confusion right now, I guess. I want to know but…’

‘But…’ Ruby prompted.

‘What if I don’t like what I see? What if it’s too horrible? Then it's better I don’t know right?’

‘It sounds to me like not knowing is eating you up just as much. And your daughter too,’ Every word coming out of Brax’ mouth was so vulnerable that Ruby was beginning to think that Darryl Braxton was as scarred and broken as she was. For years, she’d believed he’d get over it like she never happened. It had never occurred to her that other people might be hurting from Charlie’s death as much as her.

‘Yeah, but this nurse is holding the blue bundle and every time, every single time, the second she holds it towards me and goes to open the blanket…the very second, I wake up.’

Ruby sat up in shock. ‘You don’t know what that means?’

‘I wish I did.’

‘You really don’t know,’ Ruby was confused. ‘You don’t remember it.’

‘Excuse me?’ Brax asked at the brash comment.

‘Um…nothing,’ Ruby covered up her slip. ‘Have you considered talking to someone?’

‘Aren’t you someone?’

‘I mean a professional someone.’ Ruby clarified. ‘It might help.’

‘I like calling you. It’s easy to talk to you.’ Brax admitted.

Ruby blushed and cautiously looked around to make sure no one saw. She wiped the momentary warmth off her face. ‘I like listening to you. I’m glad you called.’

‘Babe, you don’t have to do this, you know.’ Liam rubbed Bianca’s back after a phone call from her father. ‘You don’t owe that man anything.’

Bianca rubbed her eyes as she leaned her elbows on her knees exhausted from a single conversation with Adrian. ‘No, he owes me. Do you think I should accept his money?’

‘I can’t make that decision for you.’

‘But we need the money right? I mean, we really need it. But he…’ Bianca groaned and sat up. ‘Ugh, why is he doing this to me again?’

‘What did Adrian call about?’

‘Oh, he wants us to have dinner together at Angelo’s. Because pasta’s going to fix everything,’

‘Bianca, if you really feel like this, we don’t have to indulge him. No one’s forcing you to do anything here.’

‘So you think I should just forget him?’ Bianca asked.

‘That’s not what I’m saying. I just don’t want you to get hurt.’

‘I know. He cheats, he steals and he’s never there for me, I shouldn’t give him a second glance, right?’ Bianca played with her nails. ‘But despite everything Adrian’s still my father. Isn’t that what families are all about, second chances? Is it so wrong to want my father to love me?’

‘No, of course you want that. What child doesn’t?’ The phone rang. Liam pulled out his but the screen was black. ‘It’s yours.’

Bianca held her phone and pressed answer. ‘Hello,’

‘Hi Bianca, this is Valerie,’

‘Oh hi Valerie,’ Bianca and Liam sat up straight, finally relieved to hear from the adoption agency after all this time.

‘I haven’t gotten any matches for you yet but I’m working on it.’ Valerie sounded a little dazed as she spoke. ‘That’s not the reason I called. I was wondering if you could help me out. I’ve exhausted all my resources and I didn’t really know who else to call.’

‘Oh, what exactly do you need? I don’t see how we can help.’

‘I know you wanted a new born but there’s a seven year old girl here in my office that needs a temporary home for a couple of nights. I’ll stress, it’s only temporary, we’re looking for her parents and will find a more permanent situation if we can’t. It’s just for the weekend. It’s a long weekend for Labour Day and the foster care offices won’t be open again until Tuesday.’

Bianca gulped. This was a lot to take in. ‘Can I talk to Liam and get back to you after we talk?’

‘Yes, of course…’ Valerie’s voice cracked. She cleared her throat and continued, trying to keep her voice level. ‘Just don’ take too long. It’s going to be dark soon and I’d like this little one settled.’

‘Valerie, are you alright? You don’t sound very well.’

Valerie gulped. Jake had gotten worse and his heartbeat had suddenly become irregular the night before his discharge. But it wasn’t for Bianca to worry about. ‘No, I’m fine. I’ll wait to hear back.’

When Bianca hung up the phone, Liam looked at her. ‘What did she say?’

‘Babe, I don’t think we can go to dinner with Adrian after all.’ Bianca told him. ‘We’ve got something more pressing.’

When Liam heard his wife retelling Valerie’s pleas, he instantly agreed with Bianca. It was settled without a single hesitation. The Murphy clan was about to temporarily increase by one.

Great updates

Felt so bad for Jade when she asked about not having a mum :(

Wonder what the dream Brax is having is about... it seems Ruby knows what it is. And I absolutely love how you have Brax confiding in Ruby without his knowledge I think it is a great way to have her believe the pain he is going through

As cruel as this may sound I need Jake to just die :angry: ...Don't want him coming back into their lives and causing them more hurt

Love Dex he's just too funny :lol:

I don't trust Bianca's father as far as I could throw him... got a bad feeling he is nothing but bad news <_<

update soon loving this fic :)

This is really well written but proper heart breaking! I hate that Charlie is there but not and her talking with Brax is just brilliant but again hard on both of them. Glad Ruby is taking Jade to the dance...very cute!

Jake is completely evil but funny interaction with Dex - Love Dex...bless him

Bianca has loads going on.... Really great updates...will review more I promise! Really good :D

Archived