Mike Perjanik's underscores

Guest Old H&A Fan

The underscore music used in the scene where sally helps Tammy hide out in the van reminds me of 2 other occasions when this music appeared: when Hayden told Fin he will not bet again after putting $400 on the horses in one last try to get out of debt, and about a year later when Curtis and Laura waved to the security cameras in the sports store.

Let's discuss Home And Away music in this thread

Mike Perjaniks music was always so perfectly composed and really helped shape Home and Away and give the show its own identity right up until his final episode, the 2003 finale - but more prominently in the 80's and 90's (because the producers wanted the music to be more inconspicuous from 01-03).

I dont recognise that^ music specifically but I've certainly recognised a couple of pieces used over the last couple of weeks that were used again a good few times up until 1995. There was a really nice piece of music used when Emma said she would miss Ailsa and Alf in one of the earlier scenes during her exit episode. This, or a variation of it was definitely used again when Travis told Donna about his past in 1995. There was also another piece when Sally reminded everyone at the table that Bobby had been left out of the wedding plans - it was used when Ailsa was having a nervous breakdown in 1995 too.

There is that piece used when Marilyn is contemplating what might happen between her and Lance in Lance's final episode, the music was also used when Damo told Pippa not to worry about her 'break' with Michael in 1994. I think the tune used for Lance's final scene was also used to represent Angel and Shane in 1994 when they started going out with each other.

My favourites from the earlier years have to be Sophie's theme, Bobby's theme, the general 'death/emotional' scores, some of the cheesy music played when something funny or daft is going on because although it does sound very dated, it actually does make me laugh.

The piano scores were faded out during 1995 and the music became more 'orchestra' lead, with strings and woodwind instruments etc... I think some of the most emotional and scary pieces were composed during this period. Such as when Michael got swept out to sea, Fisher walked round his burnt out house (also used when Pippa was crying to Sally after Michael's funeral) the bushfire episodes, plane crash, Dodges return etc. - the music from 1995-2000 became much more film like though I think my favourites were during 1995-1997 because the melodies were quite strong and more prominent.

I really wish Mike Perjanik's underscores were brought back. I really miss them. As Alexx said, they helped give Home and Away its identity. Nowadays, the underscores have a more rock sound, with drums and electric guitars. It worked so much better when the underscores were piano and string instrument led.

There was no real need to get rid of them as they worked so well. Why try and fix something if it isn't broke?

There is that piece used when Marilyn is contemplating what might happen between her and Lance in Lance's final episode, the music was also used when Damo told Pippa not to worry about her 'break' with Michael in 1994.

Oh yeah that piece was also used last year when Colleen threw Marilyn out of the mobile home, and then later in the same episode when Morag was horrible to Marilyn and the episode ended with Marilyn having nowhere to go.

The music when Ailsa was comforting Sally after Tom's death was also used when Sally was saying goodbye to Frank. It is also used in a scene where Irene #1 (Jacqui Phillips) tries to apologise to Damo and Finlay for what she's done to them.

There is a piece I really like which was first used I think when Morag took Roo to the church to explain to her why marrying Frank would be a mistake. It was later used in one of my favourite episode endings ever, when Pippa showed her trust in Walter Bertram by asking him to look after baby Christopher while she made a cup of tea. This piece pops up a few times over the years and eventually becomes "Blake and Finlay's" romance theme (judging from clips I've seen on youtube).

It would be amazing if there was a way we could get clean copies of some of the pieces. Someone on youtube has managed to get and upload clean copies from underscores used in Sons and Daughters and Prisoner from the composers of those shows. Does anyone know how to contact Mike Perjanik?

There is a piece I really like which was first used I think when Morag took Roo to the church to explain to her why marrying Frank would be a mistake. It was later used in one of my favourite episode endings ever, when Pippa showed her trust in Walter Bertram by asking him to look after baby Christopher while she made a cup of tea. This piece pops up a few times over the years and eventually becomes "Blake and Finlay's" romance theme (judging from clips I've seen on youtube).

Oh yes, I really, really like that piece of music, I'm glad it is re-used in future episodes because it hasn't been used since 88 as far as I can remember (?).

As for contacting Mike Perjanik, I did contact him at one point years ago and asked if the music was or could be made available to purchase and he said that there were no plans. Summer Bay Journal did an interview with him I think it was in 2008 - it was really informative and good to read his thoughts on the music and changes in direction over the years and why Bobby's theme was chosen for Alf's birthday etc. (because it was probably the most recognisable from the early years). I can't remember if the question was asked again. I'd love for them to release some scores via iTunes.

I don't think you can read that interview anywhere on the internet now since Summer Bay Journal closed last year (or early this year? I cant remember now). It's a shame because there were some cool and more in-depth interviews on that site including Judy Nunn, Cornelia Frances, Katrina Hobbs, Bevan Lee... Hopefully the site will return one day, or at least that content will be made available again.

I contacted Mike Perjanik by chance via APRA the Aussie music site back in 2006.

Thanks for that info. Its interesting that music used in the 80's and early 90's was still used until 1995; I always think of it as quite a separate 'era', but 95 was the year they phased all of that early years underscore out, I'm almost positive they didn't use any of it from 1996 onwards.

Archived