Which episodes do you look forward to most?

Guest beau_t

Early Years or 2011 episodes?

Personally, I watch the current show out of mild curiosity, and because occasionally you get a good scene with a character you like. But in the Early Years you are almost guaranteed good writing, great characters, and even if the storyline isn't especially great in an episode, you have got characters you care about interacting with interesting dialogue. Like the other day we had Lance showing Morag around his mobile home. No need whatsoever for that scene, but it was the best scene of the episode in my opinion!

So yeah, I look forward to watching the latest Early Years ep much more!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early Years of course. I agree with a lot of Beau T says here and agree with all of what he says about the current episodes — I too watch the 7pm episodes out of mild curiosity.

We're about to reach the tragic end of one of The Early Years episode's greatest storylines.

Next, I look forward to Emma's bad mouth, Emma's bad influence on Viv and perhaps in some ways Danny cruelly hounding Morag out of Summer Bay with his terror campaign

I love watching the early years episodes.The show was great back then.I don't watch the current episodes.I lost interest nearly 10 years ago.I have tuned in occasionally since then but nothing has made me want to keep watching.The current series is not nearly as good as what the late 80's to mid 90's were.The late 90's and early 00's were okay but current H&A I don't like.

Having said what I did in my last post, I do find the current show is improving in areas and I enjoy aspects of it. It just doesn't feel like Home and Away anymore, it feels like I'm watching an entirely different show I suppose.

I'm not in Aus, but I often watch old H&A clips online, and I agree, the show is very different today than what it was back then - but I suppose it has to be. It has an entirely new fan base now, that love the show. Its funny because if the show was to return to more simple storylines and start using the 80's/90's formula , it would in fact probably lose a lot of viewers, as a lot of younger viewers are happy with the way the show works today.

Thing is I think people misunderstand, its not like most of us want it to be exactly as it was in the 90's or 80's becuase I know that times change and of course so must the show in order for it to still resonate etc but the first half of 2008 is a perfect example of how Home and Away can still be the same show, but still keeping up with 'the times'. It was much more fast paced than it was in the 90's (and the mid-90's was much faster paced than the 80's) - but it still had that H&A 'feel' due to a producer who simply knows the show inside and out and his influence obviously helped the writers in their approach to the characters and plotting of an episode.

Having said what I did in my last post, I do find the current show is improving in areas and I enjoy aspects of it. It just doesn't feel like Home and Away anymore, it feels like I'm watching an entirely different show I suppose.

That's how I feel when I see H&A these days.It's like a different show only with the same name.I don't feel a connection to it anymore which is sad because I loved the show from when it started in 1988 and all through the 90's.H&A is definitely not the worst show on tv but it is not the great show it used to be.

I'm not in Aus, but I often watch old H&A clips online, and I agree, the show is very different today than what it was back then - but I suppose it has to be. It has an entirely new fan base now, that love the show. Its funny because if the show was to return to more simple storylines and start using the 80's/90's formula , it would in fact probably lose a lot of viewers, as a lot of younger viewers are happy with the way the show works today.

I agree with your post.I think it is a generational thing.Today's younger viewers have different tastes to what people growing up in the 80's and 90's did.I was a 90's teen so of course I loved the show back then.I'm sure there are probably some of the current viewers who don't like the earlier years of the show.I think most people seem to prefer the way tv shows,movies,music were in the era they were teens and young adults.I will always prefer 80's and 90's H&A because that's the era I grew up with and the show truly was a better quality back then with both the writing and the acting.So many great characters too.I'm glad I grew up when I did to see when the earlier years of the show originally aired.

But that's exactly it Lulu1978 - it isn't just that you look back at it with rose tinted glasses and say it was better then because you grew up with it - as you just pointed out, it was better in terms of writing and production. Ok yes there were faults and inconsistencies along the way as well as poor acting back then too but overall there was a higher attention to detail Imo (and this is crucial)

These days the production values are far superior such as the way it is shot, lighting etc but the writing is lacking. I think any fans old or new appreciate good quality writing. The newer fans haven't ever seen how it used to be and so can only judge it for what it is now, it is up to the producers to make improvement. As I said, they are doing in areas which is great.

Archived