Which episodes do you look forward to most?

Guest beau_t

But that's exactly it Lulu1978 - it isn't just that you look back at it with rose tinted glasses and say it was better then because you grew up with it - as you just pointed out, it was better in terms of writing and production. Ok yes there were faults and inconsistencies along the way as well as poor acting back then too but overall there was a higher attention to detail Imo (and this is crucial)

These days the production values are far superior such as the way it is shot, lighting etc but the writing is lacking. I think any fans old or new appreciate good quality writing. The newer fans haven't ever seen how it used to be and so can only judge it for what it is now, it is up to the producers to make improvement. As I said, they are doing in areas which is great.

Australia's best writers are probably working overseas like so many of our better actors are.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with above posts about it being a different show. It pretty much is. Morag and Marilyn are the only links. I look much, much more forward to the early years. There are iconic characters, like Fisher, Bobby, Ailsa, Celia, Lance, Tom and Pippa. Not the case today, I mean, who's going to talk about Nicol and Angelo 20 years from now. Plus, the writing and acting was way better then, IMO.

In recent years, a male and female character haven't been able to be good mates without being romantically linked at some point. I mean, just look at Ruby. She's been in a romantic relationship/involvement with every single male friend that she's had, Xavier, Geoff, Liam (attempted), Romeo and Casey. hy can't a male and female just be mates, without any romantic involvement? I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if April and Dex don't end up together at some point.

Also, the characters don't really have strong bonds as the ones in the early years. I mean, just look at Ailsa and Bobby. There is this really strong connectio between the two, that just has never even been close to being duplicated, IMO.

I agree with above posts about it being a different show. It pretty much is. Morag and Marilyn are the only links. I look much, much more forward to the early years. There are iconic characters, like Fisher, Bobby, Ailsa, Celia, Lance, Tom and Pippa. Not the case today, I mean, who's going to talk about Nicol and Angelo 20 years from now. Plus, the writing and acting was way better then, IMO.

It's not just the iconic characters that endure IMO. I still love watching the Barlow episodes (esp. the fight between Tom and Barlow after Barlow said Carly got what she deserved) and the episodes with Ben and Scott McPhee.

I don't think its just H&A, though - you look at 80s Neighbours and Sons and Daughters, and they're vastly superior to modern soaps too. I think its a generational thing - but in terms of the latter day writers and producers just not being as good as their predecessors.

I sometimes wonder whether it's because the actual executives at the TV companies have felt the need to get involved as well, that in recent years they've pushed for targets to be reached, advertising revenue to be generated and specific days on which there needs to fall blockbuster episodes. I'm not saying these never existed, Neighbours was axed 25 years ago and Home and Away nearly went the same way because of poor figures, but it just seems in modern times they've replaced with bang-bang action as in our now media-swamped age, people are turned off by slowburners.

I don't think its just H&A, though - you look at 80s Neighbours and Sons and Daughters, and they're vastly superior to modern soaps too. I think its a generational thing - but in terms of the latter day writers and producers just not being as good as their predecessors.

I agree with that.The shows were written better back then.Back then the characters dealt with real issues.Now it seems to be all about who they should sleep with next.

I sometimes wonder whether it's because the actual executives at the TV companies have felt the need to get involved as well, that in recent years they've pushed for targets to be reached, advertising revenue to be generated and specific days on which there needs to fall blockbuster episodes. I'm not saying these never existed, Neighbours was axed 25 years ago and Home and Away nearly went the same way because of poor figures, but it just seems in modern times they've replaced with bang-bang action as in our now media-swamped age, people are turned off by slowburners.

Yes,that's all it seems the people in charge care about these days.It's all about the ratings.There's so much competition for them now with lots of channels for people to choose from,the internet,game consoles.They really have no choice but to do things every now and then to get peoples attention and make them feel that they might want to watch the show.

I would guess that the production companies believe that what they now produce is what modern audiences want to see. Although this discussion would suggest otherwise, H&A does have a huge teenage fanbase who are far more interested in explosions, plane crashes and yet another opaque teenage relationship, than the relationships between families and friends. I imagine that most of us watch the Early Years because either due to nostalgia, because we like H&A and want to watch early storylines we have read about, or a mixture of the two. If a new TV programme was broadcast today and featured the same characters and themes, with no fires and stalkers, the ratings would just not be high enough to justify the production costs. Society has moved on - unfortunately.

I see your point Liz and agree with it to an extent but I was reading an interview with a film script producer who said that he thought television and film script writers and storyliners had become a lot more lazy in the past 10 years with the internet become the main source of inspiration rather than back in the 80-90's writers had to read classic books and watch old school films to get inspiration, in turn, he suggests writers back then were much more slick when writing dialogue and keeping characters consistent.

I always come back to the Bevan stint in 2008 only becuase it just proves that Home and Away can still appeal to the modern audience who want murder, drama and suspense whilst maintaining a strong sense of character and old school Home and Away 'magic'. Its about getting the right producers in who can push for certain elements and make sure they happen during script editing and storyboard meetings.

• 1 month later...

I'm 21 in September and I love watching The Early Years and look forward to them more than current episodes. I love seeing characters like Don and Ailsa from the beginning because I can only really remember from 1997 onwards when I was 7/8. I love the jukebox in The Bayside Diner too :lol:

Archived