Family Matters

Guest HighwayUnicorn

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

Irene had arrived after a frantic phone call from Aden, who had arrived home early having been informed that Danielle and Jayden had left the school premises.

She had taken the children upstairs and involved them in a game, whilst Justin and Aden had listened to the phone call, their worst fears confirmed.

As soon as Angelo had spoken and had informed Belle, Danielle and Jayden of the place they were, Justin spoke.

“Do you know it?” he asked, as Aden nodded.

“Yeah, I know it” he confirmed as they both nodded at each other and exited the house, heading down the driveway and climbed into Aden’s car.

“We need to hurry up J, I couldn’t bear it if ...”

“Hey” Justin cut him off. “We’ll get there” he told his younger brother, as he pulled off of the drive, deciding to drive them himself with Aden being too distressed to do so.

“There’s ... there’s” Aden stuttered. “I have a medical bag and a couple of blankets in the boot” he gestured to the back of the car.

“Always prepared aren’t you?” Justin attempted to make the situation a little light hearted although he couldn’t imagine how difficult this must be for Aden.

Aden shrugged. “Try having an accident prone wife and five children” he murmured.

Aden provided Jayden with the directions as they headed in the direction of the lake, hoping that they weren’t too late.

Fifteen minutes later, Aden and Justin arrived at the scene and the sight that greeted them was something Aden was sure he would never forget.

The car Angelo was driving, the one in which Belle and his two oldest children were in, had sped over the river bank and into the river.

“Oh God” he cried, opening the door before the car had come to a stop.

“Aden!” Justin shouted after him, knowing what his brother’s next move would be.

Aden stood at the edge of the river, his feet fixed firmly to the river bank.

Within one swift movement, Aden dived in after the car and swam vigorously towards the car, although it was difficult to see clearly in the murky, brown water.

Justin soon jumped out of the car, once safely bringing it to a halt. He stood on the river bed, dialling for an ambulance as well as the police.

Underneath the water, Jayden was attempting to break the bonds around his wrist, managing to pull one hand out of the cuff. He could barely breathe or see and was terrified but knew he had to get his sister and mother out of this situation.

He undid his seatbelt, floating in the water that had filled the car.

Leaning across, his sister was fighting against the handcuffs vigorously; Jayden undid the seatbelt on Danielle before attempting to open the back door of the car.

The water pressure against it prevented him from doing so and with Danielle still unable to help him out of the water, Jayden didn’t know what to do.

He pulled at the door of the car but it was no use. He wasn’t going to be able to do it by himself.

Belle remained seated in the front and was unable to do anything about the handcuffs that bound her wrists together. She had attempted to unclip her seatbelt, but it was too difficult.

Angelo seemed calm as he waited for the car to sink. He made no effort to escape the vehicle.

He watched Belle and smiled, before turning around to see Jayden trying to escape.

However, he was too late as a figure, the one person he dreaded, came swimming towards the car. With difficulty, Aden managed to open the back door of the car, with the help of Jayden from the inside, and was therefore able to release Danielle from the car.

It took one look from Aden, for Jayden to know what to do, as he nodded, and securely held Danielle before swimming to the river bank with her.

Aden remained underneath the water as he pulled against the car door at the front in an attempt to help Belle.

Panicked that his plan wasn’t going to work, Angelo attempted to release himself from the car.

Jayden coughed and spluttered as he came up for air, as did Danielle, before he began to swim to the river bank.

“Over here Jayden!” Justin yelled, before he quickly made for the car and grabbed the blankets that were inside the boot.

He helped pull out Danielle first, as Jayden followed.

“Hair clip” Danielle quickly choked out as Jayden took one of the small black clips from her hair.

“Uncle, can you?” Jayden began to ask and Justin took the hair clip and attempted to undo the handcuffs around Danielle’s wrists.

A click was the confirmation they needed, before removing the cuffs completely from her wrists, before Jayden took the same action and removed it from the one wrist in which the handcuffs were attached to.

“Here you go” Justin murmured as he handed them both a blanket each which they gratefully accepted, wrapping it around their bodies.

“I’m so scared” Danielle whimpered. “Mum” he cried softly as Jayden wrapped an arm around her.

“You know what dad’s like, Danni. He’ll get here out of there” he told her, yet wasn’t sure if he was confident in his spoken words.

The three of them sat on the river bank, before the sounds of sirens in the darkness startled them.

As soon as the ambulance crew had arrived, they saw to Jayden and Danielle, Justin staying with them the whole time.

Within moments, the splashes of water could be heard.

“Dad?” Jayden cried from inside the ambulance, quickly jumping up from the chair, startling the paramedic who was administering medication to Jayden.

“Justin!” Aden cried. “Help” he muttered as he floated on top of the water, gently pulling Belle, who was unconscious, towards the river bank.

“I’ve got her” he murmured, as he gently took her slender frame and carried her out of the water before he placed her softly to the ground.

“Mum!” Danielle cried.

Justin stopped her and Jayden and led them back to the ambulance. “Come on. You need to be brave, okay? The paramedics will see to your mum” he told them in a bid to keep them calm, yet could understand their panic.

“Come on Belle” Aden murmured, as he grabbed the blanket that the paramedic carried to him, placing it over his wife to keep her warm, as they placed an oxygen mask over her mouth.

Two hours later, and the five of them found themselves at hospital.

Belle remained unconscious and was snatched away from Aden as soon as they had arrived at the hospital.

He had been allowed to see her half an hour later and hadn’t moved from her bedside since.

“How’s she doing, Rach?” Aden asked her, as Rachel inserted yet another needle into Belle’s hand.

Rachel nodded. “Her body is responding well, Aden. Now we just have to wait until she wakes up.”

“How long will that be?” Aden asked impatiently.

Rachel gave Aden a supportive smile before answering.

“She won’t be unconscious for long, Aden. All patients are different ...”

“Yes, Rachel. I know that but not all patients are driven into a river by their psycho ex boyfriend ...” he raised his voice, only noticing he was doing so as he observed Rachel stepping back and lowering her head. “I’m sorry” he murmured softly, his apology genuine.

Rachel shook her head. “No, it’s okay. You’re right. But ... you blame yourself don’t you?” she asked.

Aden confirmed her theory with a nod.

“I couldn’t protect her, Rach. I couldn’t protect her from Angelo when he raped her and now this. He tried to kill her.”

“Did Angelo ... you know?”

“Get out of the river?” Aden completed the sentence before shrugging. “I have no idea. I hope he drowns. Slowly and painfully” he added.

There was silence between the two of them for a while before Aden spoke again.

“Are the kids outside?”

“Yeah” Rachel nodded. “Justin’s the biggest one of them all” she joked light heartedly as Aden smiled.

“Can you send them in, please, Rach?” Aden asked as she nodded, opening the door and asking them into the room.

“Dad” Danielle murmured softly, the first time she had properly got to hug her dad all day and after the incident, it was what she needed.

“You’re safe now sweetheart” he murmured as she approached him, Aden wrapping his muscular arms around her petite frame.

“I was so scared.”

“I know honey, but you were so brave, weren’t you. And we need to brave for mum right now.”

“Will she be okay?” Danielle asked.

Aden shrugged. “I’m sure she will be” he murmured.

“Of course she will be. She’s strong, independent. And most of all, a woman” Jayden smiled at his sister.

“Jayden” Aden began to speak, smiling at his son. “I am so proud of you. Thank you. If it hadn’t have been for that phone call ... I don’t even want to think about it” Aden shuddered. “And you helped Danni out” he added. “I love you” he told him gently.

Jayden smiled as he too approached his dad, before giving him a quick hug, before pulling away just as quickly.

“I have a reputation to keep up” Jayden smiled.

Aden laughed. “Have you been checked over by a doctor?” he asked, directing the question at both of his children.

They both nodded in unison.

Aden smiled. “Justin, bro, can you take them home? If you don’t mind? I know it’s late but ...”

Justin smiled and nodded. “Of course I can. And I say, we all have Chinese and watch a movie” he said as Jayden and Danielle smiled at each other and nodded at their uncle. “And I’ll keep the kids downstairs and stay with them, Aden, okay?” he suggested, knowing that Aden would be worried sick as it was leaving them with only one adult in the house.

He knew he could trust Justin. It was Angelo he couldn’t trust.

He sat down beside Belle, taking her hand gently in his own, before pressing a kiss to it. He pulled the covers up to her shoulders to keep her as warm as possible; her body still cold after the ordeal and her hair slightly damp.

He ensured that he didn’t fall asleep all night and promised both himself and Belle, that he would be there when she awoke, as though they were both teenagers once again, the fateful night that Belle was assaulted by Angelo.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omg omg omg omg omg.... Jayden, your a hero! and so is Aden,.... like father like son! :wub:

I hope like Aden, Angelo dies a slow and painful death.... maybe now Charlie can do something after 3 attempted murders!

Amazing chapter.... Justin is great.... I'm so glad he was with Aden.... to help!

Update soon! Loving this fic....

P.S dont you even think about killing Belle off! :o

Great update :D :D

Now i know you wouldn't kill off Belle just 'cause one of us other fic writers might retaliate and do the unthinkable in revenge....b'bye Aden :lol:

Seriously though....soooooooooooooo glad Aden and Justin got there in time and lovely to see Jayden following in Aden's hero footsteps.

Can't wait for the next chap!

Oh gosh, please don't kill of Aden! Ever!

That part of the comment really made me want to cry ... but of course, the rest of it made me smile.

Therefore, you have to hurry & update your fics without killing off Aden :wink: If you don't mind keeping him alive ... it would be very much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologise for the long delay in updates. I'm currently recovering from all the Take Thatness.

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Aden suddenly shot up in the chair he had been seated in as he heard a small whimper emit from his wife who had just awoken.

“Aden?” she whispered timidly.

“I’m here babe” he murmured softly to reassure her.

It seemed to take a few moments for her to register what had happened to her previously as tears fill her eyes and she began to sob. Aden approached her slowly, seating himself on the edge of the bed and taking her petite frame into his arms, allowing her to sob into his chest.

Once she had calmed down slightly, she began to speak.

“Danielle?” she murmured. “Jayden?”

Aden nodded. “They’re okay” he told her softly. “Justin’s with them all at home.”

“And Angelo?” she asked. “Did ... where?” she began, unable to complete her sentence.

Aden shrugged. “I didn’t see him get out of the water” he told her.

Belle moaned as she contemplated the idea that he was still out there somewhere.

Within a few moments, Rachel entered the room. “Hey guys. How are feeling Belle?” she asked her friend as Belle pulled away from Aden, who then stood up.

She nodded slowly. “Okay I guess.”

Rachel smiled. “I’m just going to do a quick check up, okay?” she informed Belle, who smiled gratefully.

Taking out the equipment needed, Rachel checked Belle’s pulse rate, blood pressure and did a general check on her other injuries, such as the cuts on her wrists where the handcuffs had been and the few cuts on bruises on Belle’s face.

“The good news is that physically, you’re fine, Belle” Rachel smiled, before sitting down onto the edge of the bed. She took Belle’s hands in her own before speaking again. “But I am really concerned about you.”

Belle shook her head. “Seriously, Rach, I’m fine” Belle faked a smile.

“No, you’re not” Aden told her, calmly yet firmly.

Belle turned to look at him and smiled. “Aden, there’s nothing wrong with me.”

“Belle, you’ve been through a hell of a lot. Angelo just tried to kill you. If Aden hadn’t have got there in time” she broke off as Aden shuddered.

“If you two have got some sort of conspiracy going on here, forget it. You want me to go back into therapy, don’t you?”

Rachel looked towards Aden.

“Babe” Aden murmured softly. “I think you need counselling. Otherwise he’s going to ruin our lives.”

Belle shook her head. “No, I can’t” she whimpered. “I’ve done it all before and it hasn’t worked.”

Rachel sighed. “How about if I give you some medication for depression or anxiety?” she suggested. “That way, when you find things are a bit too difficult, it’ll make things easier for you.”

Belle shrugged. “I don’t know.”

Aden intervened, speaking to Rachel. “She didn’t like depending on the anti-depressants last time. She didn’t want to keep relying on pills to make her happy.”

Rachel tenderly stroked Belle’s arm caringly. “They will work. And you don’t have to take them every day. Only when you feel you need to” she suggested.

After a moment, Belle nodded having considered the possibility. “Okay” she murmured as Rachel and Aden smiled at her.

“I’ll go and write you a prescription, okay?” Rachel murmured.

Once Rachel had left the room, Aden perched himself on the edge of the bed, before Belle bumped the pillows up so as she was sat up.

“Thank you” Aden told her happily. “I just want to see you happy. And I am so sorry about Angelo” Aden murmured, a lump forming in his throat.

Belle instantly knew that Aden was blaming himself for the recent incident.

She shook her head and took his hand in her own. “Aden, it wasn’t your fault. You have nothing to apologise for.”

“I do, Belle. I left you to cope on your own ...”

“You went to work, Aden” she told him. Aden was still unaware as to how Angelo had been able to kidnap Belle and knew that she would tell him, even if it was in her own time.

“I still shouldn’t have done that” he said, beginning to get angry, although Belle knew his anger wasn’t directed at her.

“We have to get on with our lives though, Aden. I took Danielle and Jayden to school, and then dropped off Lilly and Tyler. And then I took Olivia to nursery.”

Aden nodded. “And then what happened?”

Belle closed her eyes.

“When I got back to the car, Angelo was in the back, but I didn’t know” she began, opening her eyes slowly, Aden gently squeezing her hand to reassure her. “He got into the front next to me and he had ... he had a gun” she paused.

Aden moaned slightly at the thought of what Belle had had to go through.

“He held it towards me ... God, Aden, I was so scared.”

“Hey” he murmured softly, tenderly stroking her cheek. “You’re okay now, baby. You’re safe.”

Belle took another deep breath before continuing. “I told him I wasn’t scared. I didn’t want him to think I couldn’t protect myself. He told me he got a new identity in prison. And when he left, he got a job as cop again.”

Aden sighed. “He knows what he’s doing don’t he?” he asked rhetorically. “You alright to carry on?”

Belle nodded. “He reached across me” she began but was stopped yet again when Aden moaned.

“Did he touch you?” he asked the dreaded question but he needed to know.

Belle shook her head. “No. He got my phone from my pocket. But the way he looked at me, it made me cringe. I tried to get away but he locked the door. Then he held the gun to me and told me to drive.”

“Where did you go?” he asked.

Belle shuddered and shook her head as tears began to trickle down her face. She sobbed heavily, Aden cupping her face in his hands.

“No” he murmured. “No, please tell me he didn’t ... not there?”

Belle nodded her head, tears continuing to spill over. Aden took in her dishevelled figure, holding her tightly as her head rested against her husband’s chest.

“God you must have been so scared” he muttered, pressing kisses into her hair as he realised Angelo had taken her to the place he had raped her years ago.

“He ... he just kept me in there. When he came back, he made me get in the car” she stuttered, choking on her words. “Then that’s when I realised Danni and Jayden were there too.”

They sat there in silence for a few moments before Belle spoke again, pulling away from Aden, yet still holding his hands tightly in her own.

“How did you know where we were?” she asked.

“Jayden” he smiled. “He managed to phone me and Angelo had mentioned the name of the place over the phone. Me and Justin came as soon as we heard where you were. I just wish we had gotten there sooner.”

Belle smiled slightly. “But we’re all okay” she told him.

“That’s not the point Belle. Anything could’ve happened out there. I could have lost you ... or Danni or Jayden. I don’t know what I would have done if I didn’t get there in time.”

“Babe, I know that nothing I say or do is going to make you feel better. You always blame yourself ...”

“Yes, because I couldn’t protect you” Aden told her firmly.

“You can’t be with me all the time, Aden. It’s not your job to protect me.”

“You’re my wife, Belle. How can you say?”

“Because it shouldn’t be your job. You are my husband, not my bodyguard. The important thing is that you help me through it all. That’s your job. And you do a pretty damn good job of it too” she smiled, placing her hand on Aden’s cheek as he reached up and cradled her hand.

“I just feel like I’ve let you down.”

“Enough” Belle murmured.

There was silence between the two of them until Belle spoke again.

“If you wanted to go home and check on the kids ...” she suggested.

Aden shook his head. “I’m not leaving you.”

“Well in that case, can’t I come home?” she asked.

“I don’t know.”

“You’re a doctor” she laughed. “Surely you must know.”

Aden smiled. “It might be a bit risky if they let you come home now though.”

“Well could you at least find out for me? Please?” she asked.

“Find out what?” Rachel suddenly asked as she entered the room once again.

“Belle wants to know if she can come home” Aden spoke.

Rachel shook her head slowly. “That’s not a good idea Belle. I’d like to keep you in under observation. But Aden, I did come to let you know that visiting hours are up now. Belle needs plenty of rest” she told him, placing a hand delicately on his arm.

Aden, as expected by Rachel and Belle, shook his head and stayed firmly rooted to the spot where he was standing.

“No, Rach. I’m sorry. You can keep Belle here under observation but that means I am staying.”

“You know the rules, Aden” Rachel muttered. She hated this part of her job but she had to comply with the rules. “You have to leave. As a professional, you understand that.”

“I’m not here working tonight, Rach. But as a friend, you should know I’m going to be worried sick about Belle.”

“We have security” Rachel added.

Belle intervened. “Rachel, please. Either let Aden stay with me or he’ll take me home. I don’t want to be left on my own. Please?”

Rachel nodded. “I know that guys, I really do. This is my job, Aden, you know that. I’ll see what I can do but I can’t guarantee anything” she told them.

Once Rachel had left the room, Aden climbed into the bed next to Belle, taking her petite frame and wrapping his arms around here.

A yawn emitted from Belle.

“Tired?” Aden asked.

Belle nodding. “Yeah” she murmured.

“Sleep” he told her firmly.

Within moments, Belle had followed his command and had fallen asleep.

Only ten minutes later, Rachel had returned and confirmed that Aden could stay with Belle for the night.

He then reached into his pocket, pulling out his mobile phone before texting Justin, ensuring that everything was going okay back at home, before placing his phone back in his pocket once more.

He pressed kisses into Belle’s hair, keeping hold of her frame tightly, although cautious not to hurt her, before he too closed his eyes and fell asleep.

That was a awwwwww chapter :lol:

The closeness between Aden and Belle was written prefectly

I did laugh when Rachel said but We have security yes Rachel you may have it but it is a bit crap lets be honest :lol: it must be be the most unsafe hospital going

Glad Aden stayed with Belle :wub:

Great stuff :D your one of my fav writers

Archived