Rape revelation (Kyle and Jackie O radio stunt)

Guest adellejefferiesxox

Kyle and Jackie O radio stunt backfires

Posted Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:08pm AEST

Updated Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:12pm AEST

'Appalling': Kyle Sandilands kept up the questioning after the girl said she had been raped. (File photo) (Getty Images: Gaye Gerard, file photo)

Audio: Listen to the 2Day FM 'lie detector' stunt (ABC News) Audio: Shock jock in strife for airing teen rape revelation (PM) Map: Sydney 2000

The NSW Department of Community Services is investigating a commercial radio stunt this morning, which ended in a 14-year-old girl admitting she had been raped.

The incident occurred on 2DayFM's Kyle and Jackie O show, when a mother rang in to get her daughter to take part in a lie detector test about her experiences with sex and drugs.

After initially sounding uncomfortable with the questioning, the girl started crying and said she had been raped when she was 12.

Then Kyle Sandilands replied: "Right ... is that the only experience you've had?"

The girl's mother then said she had known about the rape. Jackie O then cut off the segment, saying the station had not known about the rape, and offered free counselling to the family.

Community Services Minister Linda Burney says she is disgusted, and has taken a personal interest in the case.

"The Department of Community Services is in touch with the radio station and the producers, and I have to say that they are cooperating fully with our enquiries, particularly in terms of being able to contact the family and in particular this 14-year-old girl," Ms Burney said.

NSW Rape Crisis Centre manager Karen Willis says the incident was managed appallingly by radio host Sandilands.

"Firstly he's ignoring that there's been a crime, but then calling it a sexual experience and then going 'oh have you had any others?'," Ms Willis said.

"Goodness gracious it's a terrible crime, it's actually the second worst crime that you can commit next to murder, and to equate that with something that should be in the 'fun, safety, pleasure' type category, and to be talking about those issues with a 14-year-old."

2DayFM general manager Jenny Parkes issued a statement saying: "All due care and consideration was given to the family and clearly we didn't know anything about the incident.

"The moment we became aware of it was live on air and we shut it down as soon as we possibly could.

"As is only appropriate, we are offering all the assistance we can to the family, including counselling, in what is of course an extraordinarily difficult situation."

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) says it is not yet investigating the segment, and upset listeners should contact Austereo directly to complain.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rape revelation was weird: Kyle and Jackie O

Email Printer friendly version Normal font Large font Arjun Ramachandran

July 30, 2009 - 6:46AM

It was difficult for everyone ... not just the mother and daughter ... quite a weird experience

Latest related coverage

Not the first time Kyle's been caught

Girl's rape revelation sinks radio stunt

Call to sack radio hosts

Shock jock rape disaster

Advertisement

Kyle and Jackie O opened their radio show this morning acknowledging yesterday’s controversial segment - in which a 14-year-old girl strapped to a lie detector revealed she had been raped - was "weird".

The pair discussed the controversy briefly at the top of today’s show - which airs daily on 2Day FM from 6-9am - but pledged to dissect the way the media had covered the incident later in the program.

They will also take calls on the incident.

"Look at what happened yesterday ... there’s many people involved that would rather forget it," host Kyle Sandilands said.

"It was difficult for everyone ... not just the mother and daughter ... quite a weird experience."

Jackie O said: "It was such a weird day ... it wasn’t the best day yesterday."

In the segment, the 14-year-old, who was brought on to undergo a lie detector test because of her mother’s concerns about her drugs and sex experience, told Sandilands before the questions started: "I’m scared ... it’s not fair."

After asking her daughter if she had skipped school, the mother asked: "Have you ever had sex?"

The 14-year-old replied: "I’ve already told you the story about this ... and don’t look at me and smile because it’s not funny."

After a pause she then raised her voice and said: "Oh OK … I got raped when I was 12 years old."

Karen Willis, manager at the NSW Rape Crisis Centre, said the segment was "appalling on a number of levels", while NSW Community Services minister Linda Burney slammed it as ‘‘in very poor taste and highly irresponsible’’.

2DayFM defended the hosts, saying the station was not aware of the incident and terminated the show as soon as it could after the girl’s revelation.

Sandilands last night expressed frustration with the press reaction to the controversy.

"There was no breach of any radio code. What I’m most annoyed about is that some of the press have jumped on this and made it out to be a stunt and a ratings ploy," he said.

In a column last night, he wrote that he was disappointed the girl's situation had become a big media story.

"I’ve certainly pissed off a lot of journos over the years but I’m sad that they’re using the rape of a 12-year-old girl to have a go at me," he wrote in The Punch.

"As far an apology goes, the only person I feel sorry for is the girl. That what should have been dealt with as her private situation ended up being one of the biggest news stories of the day."

Sandilands this morning said he and Jackie O would analyse the media’s coverage in more detail while on air.

Last night he also defended the premise of the segment.

"Our show is a real-life show, not some Punch and Judy pre-scripted show.

"We deal with a lot of real situations and sexuality is one them. I would never have asked the girl those questions myself. It was her mother who asked those questions."

The broadcasting watchdog is not investigating the incident because a formal complaint is needed to instigate action.

Kyle and Jackie O goad sex questions from 14-year-old rape victim

Kyle, Jackie O goad teen rape victim

All multimedia

Related Articles

Rape revelation spun in 'evil' way: Kyle Kyle hires security after death threats Could this be the end for Kyle and Jackie O? Police investigate 2DayFM over Kyle and... Latest Features 'They're probably doing handstands at 2Day...

The Chaser's WOE bids Australia farewell

'It's sad to see the media skew it this way'

'Rudd has watered down health reform...

Tower training: Celebrities hit Sydney...

'We'll lose $100m without these fees'

'They're probably doing handstands at 2Day...

The Chaser's WOE bids Australia farewell

LiveNews | Jesse Perez

2DayFM breakfast crew The Kyle and Jackie O show were left red-faced today after a lie-detector quiz about a 14-year-old’s drug and sex habits revealed that she was raped at age 12.

The often controversial radio show admitted even they had crossed the line after the quiz, offering counseling services to the girl after she made the revelation.

After the incident, producers of the show went into damage control, ducking and weaving enquiries regarding the interview.

In a recurring segment, Lie Detector, the mother of the girl stated that she was concerned about the welfare of her daughter after the 14-year-old had been returned home by undercover police.

The mother told Kyle and Jackie O she was aware her daughter had been smoking marijuana, and thought she "might have had sex before".

At the commencement of the segment, a jovial Kyle and Jackie O began to quiz the girl, who was attached to a lie detection machine.

"I'm scared...it's not fair," the girl said to a question from Kyle about how she felt under scrutiny.

Beginning with questions about her attendance at school, the girl vehemently denied she had skipped classes - but it was the question that followed that sent the station into meltdown.

"Have you had sex?" the mother asked.

"I've already told you the story of this," the clearly uncomfortable child eventually responded.

"And don't smile about this because it's not funny.

"I was raped when I was twelve years old!"

After a prolonged silence, Kyle interjected but hardly helped the situation.

"Right ... And is that the only experience you have had?" he said.

The mother then mentioned she only became aware of the incident a few months ago, despite stating earlier she wasn't completely sure if her daughter engaged in intercourse.

"And yet you still asked me the question," the girl continued.

A gobsmacked Jackie O then tearfully comforted the girl amid the awkward situation, insisting the segment be aborted.

"We have counselling services here if you need that," she encouraged gently, saying that had she was not aware of the situation prior to the commencement of the interview.

"We're happy to pick up the bill (for any counselling services)," Kyle offered, concluding the interview.

The entire situation has rocked 2DayFM, who have gone into crisis control, with the station facing the distinct possibility of a reprimand from the Australian Communications and Media Authority over the incident.

In a statement released this morning, 2Day FM General Manger Jenny Parkes said that the network was unaware of the gravity of the situation.

"Kyle and Jackie and 2Day FM were saddened by the turn of events this morning. In the normal course of preparing the segment all due care and consideration was given to the family and clearly we didn’t know anything about the incident.," she said.

"The moment we became aware of it was live on air and we shut it down as soon as we possibly could. As is only appropriate, we are offering all the assistance we can to the family, including counselling, in what is of course an extraordinarily difficult situation.”

There are now calls for DoCS to investigate the incident

A few diffferent articles to get the full story. What are your opinions on this?

My take?

Kyle's comment was ill-advised, but that may have been more down to him being thrown/shocked. The main guilty party here is the mother for allowing (or forcing, depending on who says it) her daughter to take a lie detector test on sexuality, knowing that that had happened to her.

I blame all of them.How the hell can a mother put their child through that,knowing full well what the answer is?It's sick.I do belive that Kyle was shocked,hence his reaction but usually these things have like a 5 minute time delay so how the hell did it get to air?And Kyle saying the media are useing it to get to him,usully i like him but please,does he really think he's that important?

I can't stand Jackie O.At least Kyle's honest but she prances around the place like she's an angel when in actual fact she loves herself as much as him.If she's so much better she'd put a stop to some of the crap that goes on.

My take?

Kyle's comment was ill-advised, but that may have been more down to him being thrown/shocked. The main guilty party here is the mother for allowing (or forcing, depending on who says it) her daughter to take a lie detector test on sexuality, knowing that that had happened to her.

I agree 100%

Archived