An Irish Summer

Guest Symphony

Love how you wrote John's accent through the dialogue - took me ages to get through it, though :blush: .

When you're from Ireland it is easy peasy to read!!

I am loving that they're going to Ireland- they should have plenty of "ceol agus craic"

John- Loving him!!lol!! Cark!! I love how cork people say it!

Can't wait for the next update!!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Red Ranger, Mrs L, leah 1234, HAA Girl, jdoddy & tessalove for your comments! Some of you are very perceptive...!

:)

Chapter 3

It's cancelled isn't it, she said in a small voice, upset growing rapidly at the thought of their much anticipated holiday being put off. Going to the airport was half the fun, and it wouldn't be nearly as exciting if they had to go home today and come back up again tomorrow. Not only that, but they'd lose a day out of their travels as well, and, with only a month off to spend in Ireland and England, that wasn't much at all considering they had to factor in jet lag too.

What? Aden answered distractedly, starting forwards again with determination in his stride.

Belle stared at the board a little longer, still unable to find their flight, and then all at once she saw it. She blinked, squinting at the board, and then at Aden's retreating back, and incomprehension crossed her face.

No way, that's impossible, she breathed, barely aware that she was speaking out loud, and then suddenly scampered after Aden, catching up to him just as he came to a stand-still beneath the board itself.

What are you doing here, she asked, unable to believe her eyes, and Aden's hardened when he heard her question. I'd like to know the same thing, he added shortly, hands balling into fists at his side.

Aden, Belle cautioned, looking at the familiar faces in perplexion. This was different to seeing Geoff and Nicole ready to join them, and she couldn't quite understand it.

Fancy seeing you here, Joey's surprise wasn't quite enough for Aden and he scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest and declaring for all the world to hear, drop the act, Joey, I know you guys are just copying Nicole and Geoff, but really, it's just too much!

Hey, Belle laid a calming hand on his arm but he shrugged her off angrily.

No Belle, I got you this holiday, not Nicole, not Geoff, and certainly not for Joey and Charlie. Well look, you can't come, alright? Go to Ireland, hell, see if I care, but you are not following us around!

Hey, hey Aden, don't talk to her like that, Charlie glared at him, dropping an arm around Joey's shoulders and he returned the dark look.

Oh don't get me wrong Charlie, I'm talking to both of you, Aden fumed, not bothering to lower his voice and just like before, a little crowd began to gather around them, onlookers intrigued by this intense scene. It was rare to find people yelling in an airport, even though the crowds grew to greatened numbers.

Aden, there's been some kind of misunderstanding.. Joey began, but again, Aden mouthed her off.

Oh, a misunderstanding, I get it, he agreed harshly. You thought you'd get on the plane without us seeing you is it? And then pop up behind us yelling surprise?

Charlie and Joey exchanged glances awkwardly, which he immediately misread yet again.

See, I knew it, he sneered, turning to Belle.

To her dismay, Aden was losing the plot and rapidly. She, as a neutral bystander could see that Joey and Charlie were trying hard to tell Aden something but he just wasn't listening. She saw also, the unshed tears shimmering in Charlie's eyes, and decided it was time to take control.

Shut it Aden, she stepped forwards, eyeballing her boyfriend angrily. Joey's trying to tell you something you great oaf, if you'd only listen to her!

His eyes turned surprised, having expected Belle to back him up and not turn on him like she had.

Oh trust you to take their side, he retorted, rapidly losing all good humour for the holiday ahead. You seemed quite glad that Churchboy and Nicole were coming along with us. I wouldn't be surprised if you knew about this all the time!

Belle gaped at him wordlessly. This torrent of brutal words felt like he hated her. Her thoughts scrambled, unable to think of anything to say in response. The watching crowd leaned closer, afraid to miss out on any of the action.

And then salvation arrived in the form of an unexpected angel.

Hey hey now, came a by-now familiar voice behind them. What's all this squabbling about here now, you're disturbin' the peace of the building sher.

Making his way through the crowd, John had overhead the vicious fighting, and had already made up his mind to intervene before he saw who was involved.

The image had stopped him in his tracks for a second when he saw Belle trembling slightly as she stood up to Aden. Not for the first time that day, a flash of recognition stormed through his body, like deja vu but he couldn't put his fingers on it.

This'll do it, he'd said to himself ruefully before barging in to call a halt. He'd already seen the way Aden looked at him and knew that this wouldn't do him any favours.

You lot causin' hassle again already? he queried, looking first at Aden, and then at Belle. C'mon now lads, the guards'll be over in a flash, and after yer stunt at security, they won't take too kindly to yez causing friction.

Oh not you again! Aden huffed at him, crossing his arms over his chest as he stared down John angrily.

John! Belle sounded grateful, the polar opposite of her boyfriend, and John could see the tension rife in her eyes.

Charlie and Joey looked from John to Belle, unsure as to how this Irishman seemed to know her.

Aden, what I was trying to tell you, Joey attempted to get his attention but he fumed silently, staring at a blank point over her head. She carried on regardless. We're not going to Ireland with you.

It took a moment for her words to sink in, but when they did, Aden started, his body jerking physically. What .. what did you say? he demanded, meeting Joey's eyes at last.

She slipped her hand into Charlie's, squeezing it lightly. Just what I said. We're not going to Ireland. Charlie's decided to take a leave of absence, and we're heading off to France for a couple of weeks. It's somewhere we've both always wanted to go.

What she didn't say was that she hoped it would give Charlie the rejuvination that she needed, and the time away from Summer Bay to get used to life without Jack.

Now it was Aden's turn to gap mouthingly at them, utterly caught out for being in the wrong.

Is that the gist of it then eh? John pricked his ears, stepping towards the girls. I've not met yez, I'm John O'Keefe, he introduced himself to Charlie and Joey, shaking first one hand, and then the other as the girls returned the introductions.

Shur and isn't it fine ta meet yez all, but I do be needing to say, ye'd want to be getting a move on to yer flights.

As he said this, Belle gasped and looked up at the board, noting that their own flight said 'go to gate for boarding'.

You're right John, we've gotta run! she exclaimed, grabbing up her rucksack from where she'd dropped it at her feet.

He smiled easily at her, and waved a hand in farewell before weaving his way out of the crowd and continuing on towards his flight. A small handful of pilots passed him by,acknowledging him with a wave and a nod as they did so.

Back in the circle, the crowd around the Summer Bay residents began to disperse, and Geoff and Nicole appeared suddenly at their sides.

That was quite a performance, Nicole remarked to Aden pointedly and he turned away from her.

Let it go, Nicole, Belle answered her sternly, and the princess pouted at her.

I was only saying... her voice trailed off as Geoff nudged her and she turned the full glare of her sulky face onto him.

Belle sighed, raising her eyes to heaven, and then walked rapidly after Aden who was striding towards the corridor leading to their gate.

Hey! she said, catching him up. What's the rush?

He didn't answer, but just stared straight ahead, his mouth set in a thin line.

Aden! she repeated his name, to no avail.

It was then that her temper began to rise with him.

Are you going to be like this all holiday? All moody and bad-tempered? she asked, struggling to keep her voice even. Because if you are, I might as well go home now, Aden.

He froze, stopped in his tracks abruptly and she could see him fighting with himself. But then he just shrugged, and said in a dispassionate voice, if you want, before walking off again.

Belle's mouth dropped, unable to believe her ears, and, as her temper got the better of her, she saw red.

FINE! I will! she yelled after him, and then turned on her heels, stalking off in the opposite direction.

Aden didn't stop moving, though his shoulders fell at her words, but he kept walking onwards towards the gate resolutely.

Inside though, he was crumbling.

to be continued...

Great updates..i love how you write for each character, especially Nicole!

And trust me Symphony, you really don't want to hear my attempt at the good old Irish accent....its worse than pathetic.

If any of you ever heard it, i couldn't ever write another post on here again!! haha

Cant wait for the next update =]

Archived