An Irish Summer

Guest Symphony

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was not expecting Hugo and Martha.I was kinda hoping for Jai and Annie too(couldn't they have, like, fake ID or something?)but Hugo and Martha should be interesting.Loved Geoff standing up to Aden and comforting Belle.And his "Not now" to Nicole when she got turned on by it.

Thank you RocknRoll, Mizzybee & RR1 :D

Chapter 5

Don't they have any reasonable food, Geoff grumbled quietly which cause the others to look at him, surprised.

He never moans, Belle thought to herself, knowing that the quiet, thoughtful boy must be reaching the end of his tether to be complaining quite so publically.

They had landed in Hong Kong just twenty minutes before, for a total time of one and a half hours stopover.

Aden and Martha had elected to stay on board but the others all wanted to get off and stretch their legs with a bite to eat.

However, the only optinos seemed to be either tradition Chinese in grubby stainless steel buffets, or MacDonalds.

Eurgh, Nicole winkled her nose. I'm not interested in that junk, she waved her hands dismissively in the air, catching a passer-by square in the chest.

Sorry, she turned a disinterested glance at him, which suddenly brightened into an eighteen watt beam.

Well hello there, Nicole purred. Belle, look who it is.

John! Belle was pleased to see her new friend again.

He'd popped down to see them a couple of times during the flight, but Martha fell into a light sleep over an hour before, reducing all general conversation to whispers.

Sorry to intrude, he apologised. I was just passing and couldn't help but hear that the food delicia isn't quite to your likings.

A snort from Nicole, and a dig in her ribs from Geoff to reprimand her rudeness confirmed this.

So, Johyn indicated for them to fall into step with him. How does warm pizza, and a few beers sound?

Pizza? Nicole latched onto the word eagerly, and he turned to smile at her.

Sure.

For real? This was Hugo turning to peer at John beneath his floppy hair.

I don't know who you are mate, Hugo extended a hand towards John. But if you can give me pizza now, I'll be a friend for life.

John laughed easily, with the amusement dancing in his eyes.

Yeah, sure mate, and he gave Hugo's hand a manly shake.

If ya'll wanna follow me, it's down in the staff lounge. He turned to go.

Staff? Belle stopped in her tracks. Won't you get in trouble?

Nah, John waved away her worries. The boyos would be thrilled to have such gorgeous gals, and the birds will be chuffed with two new hot blokes, so everyone's happy.

Faced with such simple logic, the summer bay gang looked at each other, shrugged, and fell into line.

Belle and Hugo walked abreast of John whilst Geoff and Nicole walked behind.

So how do you guys know each other? Hugo inquired.

Belle and John smiled at each other.

He's saved our bacon a couple of times, she laughed, and he chuckled.

And I'm about to deliver it served on a pizza, came his teasing response.

Belle slapped him gently on the chest, and he retaliated with a nudge.

Watching them, Hugo wondered if he was imagining the easy familiarity and affectionate flirting that seemed to be going on between them.

Here we are, John announced with a flourish, swiping a key card deftly through the machine.

It beeped quietly, and the lights flashed green, unlocking the doors with a click.

Ushering them in, John called out, hey gang, lookie what I found.

A sea of faces turned towards them, but most looked away again, disinterested by John's newcomers.

One girl however, with a shock of black hair that cascaded down over her shoulders, kept her attention on them, and John, spotting her, grinned hugely, waving his hand.

C'mon guys, over here, Roisín has got a few seats for us.

You found them then! Roisín stated needlessly as John and his little gang approached her table where she sat with two other girls. But they had a numer of empty seats between them.

Found us? questioned Hugo, never one for tact or subtlty.

John shifted uncomfortably before pulling out a chair for Belle, and taking the one next to her himself.

Roisín laughed, tossing her hair back over her shoulder in one fell swoop.

Ah so you didn't tell them you were looking for them, she teased John, who lowered his head, whilst a dark red crept across his cheeks.

That true? Belle asked him suspiciously.

After a moment or two, during which the others pulled out chairs and sat themselves down, with Nicole reaching instantly for a slice of pizza from the centre of the table, he nodded once.

Yeah, I saw you guys leave, and thought you'd be hungry.

He reached for a slice of pizza himself, not meeting Belle's eyes.

She watched him warily. This was a whole new ballgame rather than he being just some good Samaritan who kept passing by just when they needed him.

But there was no point saying anything there and then, and Belle knew that. So, shrugging, she merely answered, ok then, and helped herself to pizza.

John paused, a bite away from his own, and finally looked at her, but by then Belle was indulging in conversation with Roisín across the table, asking where her name came from, and how to spell it.

Roisín caught John's eye then, and winked, and he glared at her in response, making a mental note to himself to give her a good bollocking later.

The other two girls introduced themselves as Peggy, one of the girls from their own plane, and Sian, pronounced "Shan."

We Irish like to stick together, chuckled Rosie, who had told them that nobody called her by her full name.

Your names are just amazing, sighed Belle. So ... dreamy!

Dreamy! John practically choked on his last slice of pizza. I'd like to see you make dreamy with 'John'.

Well not yours, Belle amended with a chuckle. We do get John's back in the bay. But, Sian, and Roisín, all sound so beautiful! I can't wait to get there finally.

Belle's a pretty unusual name, at least to us, Rosie replied. Only girl I know called Belle is that wan from Beauty and the Beast. Come to think of it, you actually look a little like her - as much as anyone can look like a cartoon character, she scoffed.

Well, Belle admitted after a pause, Belle isn't actually my real name. My mum named me Susan but ... she shrugged. Belle was more appealing to me.

Jaysus, you changed your own name! exclaimed Peggy, sounding scandalised. My mammy would break my a$$ if I did that! Sheesh, she mustn'ta been too impressed with ya at'all, at'all.

The Australian group looked suitably taken aback by this sudden stream of Irish slang from Peggy who, up to now, had been reasonably quiet, leading them all to think she was shy.

The Irish all laughed at their confusion, and began getting up, packing away the plates for washing later by the kitchen team.

Thanks for letting us come in here, Nicole drawled to John, tossing her shiny gold hair over her back. It was far better than the junk out there.

No hass, he smiled at her, and then nodded at Geoff. To all of you. Shur, we enjoyed the company, but he was looking at Belle when he finished speaking.

Aware of his eyes on her, Belle kept her own fixed on the ground until she was ready to leave, and only then did she look up.

Yeah, thanks! she responded brightly, with a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

Including the others, she added, I'm gonna head back to the plane now guys. Aden'll probably be awake and wondering where I am. I'll meet ye back there, yeah?

They nodded, Geoff knowing that Nicole wanted to take a wander around the shop, and Hugo with a need for the bathroom, and, with a brief wave, she left without looking back.

You're setting your sights on the wrong gal, Hugo came up behind John unawares, and took him by surprise.

What? What do you mean? and Hugo chuckled.

Don't give me that. I can see you're hankering after Belle, he nodded in the direction she had gone in. But she's not on the market mate, and Aden won't be best pleased to find ya after her love either.

I'm not "after her love" as you put it, John swung to face Hugo, and a mean look crossed his face, causing his eyes to narrow and give him an altogether unfamiliar expression.

Hugo shrugged, drawing back his shoulders. Just a heads up mate, no need to get worked up about it.

Yeah well, I don't need your advice, John grumbled, his face relaxing again. You're barking up the wrong tree anyway.

Hugo smiled. Sure I am mate. Well, I'll see you back on the plane so I suppose, and he too ambled off, after Geoff and Nicole who had already left.

John watched him go, a thoughtful look on his face.

Rosie sidled up behind him.

Don't go gettin' yerself involved in this again, John, she begged of him earnestly. You remember what happened the last time, and that one had a boyfriend too.

He looked down on her; she was only five foot four, almost a whole foot lower than himself.

Lay off Rosie, he growled, glaring at her, but she stood her ground, unafraid.

I'm jes' saying's all John. We all know what you're like, she reminded him, and he clenched his hands in a fist at his sides.

No need to get mad, Rosie reprimanded, her dark eyes growing serious. I'm not criticising ya John, ya know that, just .. don't do anything foolish, aight?

She waited until he nodded, until the fists relaxed into soft hands once again, before she made to slip by him and prepare to fly out to Singapore on her next flight.

Before she made it to the door, John's arms slipped around her from behind, pulling her in against his chest.

I'm sorry, he whispered hoarsely against her neck, ducking to kiss it gently.

Wriggling, Rosie turned herself to face him, a quirked smile curving her lips.

I know you John O'Keefe, she said sternly, almost as well as you know yourself. I think you forget that sometimes.

I do. He nodded like a chastened little boy.

Well, don't do it again, she waggled a finger at him, leaning into his chest.

They'd known each other for three years now, and had become close immediately when Rosie started working for TygreFyre airlines too.

I promise Mammy, John teased, his earlier black mood forgotten, and she chuckled at his sarcasm, standing on tiptoes to draw him down to her, whereupon she kissed him quickly on the lips.

That's so you don't forget me, her eyes twinkled and then she slipped under his arms, making for the exit on the opposite side of the room.

He watched her go, grinning now, and then shook his head. That Rosie's a tonic, he thought to himself, as he always did about her.

And then he gathered his bags, and made to go back to the plane, tired, but ready for the second leg of the journey, to Ireland.

And he was looking forward to seeing Belle again already.

... to be continued.

Oh, interesting. I like the idea of John trying to go after Belle. Jealous Aden would be good, as long as he doesn't go too crazy. Don't want Aden and Belle to break up, nor John to turn evil. But whatever you write, I'm sure it'll be great.

Oh, interesting. I like the idea of John trying to go after Belle. Jealous Aden would be good, as long as he doesn't go too crazy. Don't want Aden and Belle to break up, nor John to turn evil. But whatever you write, I'm sure it'll be great.

Archived