Completed fan fics

Guest Symphony

So, I was just browsing the Fan Fic section in the Northern Districts Library and am a little confused;

why are all the comments taken away from the fan fics once they are completeld? :(

i can see that it makes them easier to read if you can just flick from one chapter to the next right beneath it but ... why even keep the comments at all in the big grouped thread? For me, I know I'd love to be able to go back over my fan fics and see the comments people left as they are -

But maybe I'm alone in that? I know I came on the site after it'd been running for quite a bit, so there could be a solid reason for this rule - just thought I'd ask.

It's making me want to never finish my fanfic now, [even though i'm planning the sequel out already] just so I don't lose the comments on the thread! :o

I have to agree with you Symphony on this.

After I finished my 1st fic I was looking forward to looking back over the comments after every chapter but I couldn't distinguish what comments were on what chapters. I have decided now that instead of the usual starting another thread for the sequel to my fic I'm just gona keep it in the same thread and continue on.

I also understand that if someone wants to read the fic from start to finish then its easier to have all the chapters one after the other.

Maybe the completed fanfics could be done as all the chapters one after the other and then instead of the link to the comments there could be a link to the fic as it was left :unsure: Thats just an idea :)

At first when you go back to YOUR fan fic, its a little disppointing not seeing your comments but think about it when you go into someone else's fan fic and you just want to read the story its a lot easier and tinier to read the story. That's how I feel anyway :) But I understand where you're coming from Moya, but I think taking the comments away and putting them into a different thread/or whatever is a good idea :P

I'm with the OP, I like reading some of my old fan fics (no I'm not vain, just proud of then :P) and would like to see it left as it is with all the comments in it because those were some really good times ^_^

But, I can see why they're separated. It makes it much neater.

Yea, I think it's a good idea. I can see your points, but personally I think it's a really good thing. I know reading long fics with comments would put me off. It's much more condensed and easier for us lazier folks who can't be bothered to keep scanning the fic for chapters. :P

I think the completed fics should be left as they are, with the comments taken out, it's easier to read them(including my own)with them that way.However, I did kinda like Kevin's suggestion that instead of having an "orphaned" comments section, you have the chapters "reprinted" with the comments interspersed.Although to be fair it isn't hard to see where the comments came originally, you just look at the date and time they were posted.

Archived