Healthy eating

Guest Jess

So, I'm not overweight by any stretch of the imagination - I have a healthy BMI of 21.8 - but, like a lot of people, I'd still like to eat healthily. It's the Easter holidays and with my mother's amazing home cooking all around, the temptation is to fall into the usual trap of putting weight on (I lost a stone and a half when I went to uni, and put quite a bit of it back on over Christmas). This time, however, is going to be different. I've cut out all the chocolate and crisps (I only really eat them if they're there, they're not my favourite things), bread (I love toast, so I kinda have to take an all-or-nothing approach with it, otherwise I end up eating masses of the stuff and it just makes me bloat up like there's no tomorrow) and cheese (again, I love it so much I just have to totally deprive myself. I know it sounds extreme, but I don't have the willpower to only have a "little bit"). Other than that, I'm eating lots of fruit and vegetables, fish, Quorn, (given up meat for Lent - it's actually not so bad), homemade soups and low-fat yoghurt.

So, yeah, that's me. I thought it'd be nice to start this thread so we can all support each other. I'm a bit cautious about posting my height/weight stats because I don't want it to become a competition or a potential trigger for people with eating issues, but if the mods deem it suitable then it might be a useful way of tracking progress. I know people say that if you fit your clothes then you're fine but mine stretch, seriously!

Anyway, I hope this is okay.

I'm not thin, but I'm not massively overweight, enough for me to want to lose some of it.

I'm just generally rubbish at healthy eating. I'm the kind of ' I'll start next week' girl XD

I don't generally eat crisps and chocolate because it's never really in the house but apart from that I'm not very good at being healthy....

I'm always a bit wary of making myself give anything up or in general pay attention to my weight (past issues) and I'm all over pretty happy about the way I look but at the moment I am trying just to be a bit healthier to try and counter balance the unhealthiness of going out as much as I do! :P I know it makes no medical sense but it makes me feel better.

I mainly just stick to soup and fruit through the day and then I have catered food for the evening where I try and avoid the potatoes. But apart from that I don't really have a sweet tooth and I'm lucky enough to seem to crave vegetables! Weird I know.

And I sooo know what you mean about the home cooking thing! It's so hard to say no to all that amazingness!! :D

i came into this thread after i ate a chocolate ice cream and hot chocolate! :P mmmm yum,

but it's part of my plan, in preperation for easter i stop eating ANYTHING chocolate a few weeks before, and today is my last day *tear*

but, then when easter rolls around, i don't feel nearly as guilty, and i've conned a few friends, my sister and my boyfriend into it too, so i'm not alone. :D

as for the rest of the year i'm generally a heathy eater, mainly because i HATE feeling sick, which happens easily. so Fruit and Vegies are high on my list, but i suppose like everyone else, too much fruit = bloated belly.

a few years back i joined the gym, costly i know, but it made me feel so much better, once you've been to the gym you don't want to eat bad foods, there's just too much guilt! and i love looking at the calories lost on the macheines and thinking to myself 'oh there goes that museli bar!' and things like :lol:

i generally eat healthily except im really busy on tuesdays and thursdays where i dnt get home til really late and im on the go all day so i ofter fall into the trap of fast food and eating late which is bad but its always on days when ive done atleast 4 hours of exercise so it kind of counteracts but it makes you feel like crap

I'm not skinny, but I'm not fat fat fat. I'm not fit either, but i've been trying lately. I have naturally wide hips which makes me look far bigger than I am, but I don't blame it all on that, the problem really is that I hate fruit, I hate vegetables even more, so anything with vegetables or fruit - even tomatoe sauce, or curries with bits of peppers and stuff - is a no for me. Which makes it really difficult to cook for me. If I order from teh chinese even, I have to say no veg. I know it's stupid and you're all saying its because i'm not used to it, but I despise them, I freak out if there's a pea on my plate.

So that kind of rules out healthy eating for me, and I'm addicted to sugar like a drug. That's not meant as a joke, it is actually a drug to me. I've tried to stop but I cant because every now and again your life just gets so ****ed up (excuse the language) you really couldnt care less, so you go to the shops and buy crap. Even though I KNOW it's bad and that I shouldnt do it, I really couldnt care less when i feel so down.

Then again, on teh off times taht I do feel happy I can go without eating, but probably will do for the fun of it.

Messed up, yes.

Im very overweight and I was quite worried I would reach the 20 stone mark, so I decided I needed to lose weight. I have tried diets before, they either never worked or I couldnt stick to them, I pick a diet that I know I wouldnt stick to. At first I tried a fruit and yogurt diet and it was just crazy, I felt hungry and had cravings, it didnt work. So I added.. something I dont remember now, but again it didnt work. I then decided to eat whatever I wanted, but making sure that I only ate half of my normal calories a day.. (Although I have been looking at things that say 1500 for women and others say 2000 for women, so I was never sure what it was).. That worked, I wasnt craving anything, I ate what I want, I just had to make sure I didnt go over my calorie count, which meant I had to plan meals to make sure I could eat what I wanted for dinner. I even had chocolate ice cream in the evenings, which helped me during the day to not eat anything so I could have that ice cream. I lost weight, but then stopped, gained, lost, gained, lost and then stayed the same. I also have depression and I got quite down and started to comfort eat and since then I lost my diet, I have gained a couple of pounds, but I havent weighed myself in a few days. I know I should start the diet again because it worked for me and I could eat what I want, I just had to count the calories. I just havent had the effort to start again.

As for Easter, I think I am going to get 1 fancy Easter egg and straight off I will break it up, so I dont eat it all in one go.

I like to pretend i'm healthy but really i'm not. :rolleyes:

I go through phases. I'll be really good for a while, going to the gym and eating lots of fruit and cooking proper meals and avoiding snacking too much - but then i'll have a week where i eat nothing but rubbish and don't exercise at all. Right now i'm especially bad as i'm spending most of my time writing papers and studying - so i live off packaged food and snack on crisps and chocolate. I have a part time job and my shifts change every week so i never get into a proper pattern of eating at the same time each day, sometimes i don't finsih until 10 and by the time i get home it's too late to cook anything decent.

I have an addiction to coke (the drink :wink: ) which is terrible but i'm trying to cut down. I do like healthy food and i'm not that bad a cook, i can make healthy dishes and i actually enjoy it, i'm just a little lazy.

My wieght has pretty much stayed the same the past years. I know what i have to do, i just need to make myself do it and resisit temptation!! One of my biggest problems is that i eat out a lot. Then usually there's wine involved, and there's always someone who wants to split dessert...and it just all adds up.

I love food though and consider it one of lives greatest pleasures. I'd never deprive myself of anything, i don't see the point in that, but i don't go to the extreme either. I'm not skinny but i'm overweight, i could loose a few pounds and i'm going to try and make an effort for summer. This year i really mean it :lol:

Archived