Frankie Monroe Scriptwriting Comp '09

Guest Dan F

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just one question (at the moment, anyway) is there a minimum length of time that a scene should be? Like, it shouldn't be longer than 100 seconds but is a time that it shouldn't be shorter than?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Just one question (at the moment, anyway) is there a minimum length of time that a scene should be? Like, it shouldn't be longer than 100 seconds but is a time that it shouldn't be shorter than?

Yes that makes sense - and that's a good question. :D

As as long as it does not go more than say around 10 seconds either way from 100 ( so that's either 110 or 90 ) then you should be OK. We are not going to be dead strict if you put in a scene which is 83 seconds and is absolutely blooming brilliant and you have built up the dramatic tension and given us a great cliff hanger because then we are going to be over the moon about it. What we don't want is scenes of about 20 - 25 seconds as these are unlikely to do the job we have asked people you to do.

Hope that helps.

This seems like the most appropriate place to put this at the moment....to anyone who may be interested, next weeks copy of "The Stage" (a UK publication) will feature an interview with Abigail Webber, former commissioning ediotr for drama at Channel Five. The preview blurb says "from researching the marketplace to honing your writing skills, Abigail Webber advises on how to get your script through the rigorous selection process." - obviously this is unlikely to be of interest to the more casual entrant, but it might be useful for people with a wider interest in dramatic writing, who perhaps wish to pursue it as a career or suchlike!

Yes that makes sense - and that's a good question. :D

As as long as it does not go more than say around 10 seconds either way from 100 ( so that's either 110 or 90 ) then you should be OK. We are not going to be dead strict if you put in a scene which is 83 seconds and is absolutely blooming brilliant and you have built up the dramatic tension and given us a great cliff hanger because then we are going to be over the moon about it. What we don't want is scenes of about 20 - 25 seconds as these are unlikely to do the job we have asked people you to do.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, Eduardo. That answered my question so yes, it helped.

I have another question. Can you use a current storyline if you put your own twist on it? I'm sure that I've taken my scene in a completely different direction than the show will.

I have another question. Can you use a current storyline if you put your own twist on it? I'm sure that I've taken my scene in a completely different direction than the show will.

As long as you are producing something which is original then Yes you can, but it must not be just the same story with a different set of words. The basic idea can be the same, you will notice that lots of the same ideas crop up in soaps and dramas all the time, but they are always different, and have a different twist, that is your challenge, to put your twist on it. Of course if someone could come up with an idea that's never ever been seen or done before that would be great too. :D

Can we edit the opening line at all? I don't want to put anything before the line but could I add a word onto the end? Or add a sentence after it? Or does the line just have to be used in the form it's given to open the scene without anything added?

Thanks. :)

Archived