Travel

Guest KirstyEkua

I haven't really travelled that much internationally, but on the other hand I've seen more of Norway, Sweden and Denmark (hardly considering Sweden and Denmark as travelling internationally :P) than most Scandinavian people my age.

I've also been to Germany, although not a very long trip there, and I spend a week in London last week. My most interesting travelling experience was probably spending three weeks in western Canada two year ago. I lived one week with some friends of some friends and travelled southern British Columbia and western Alberta for a week and a half, and ended up in Vancouver where I spent the last few days. It was amazing! I went horseback riding in the woods and drove through three or four (I think) national parks. I really want to go back there.

Also we're possibly planning another class trip (London was a class trip) to a city in Turkey this spring. It's like an international exchange thing, sounds really interesting. And my friend and I are planning to book a week in some southern European country this summer, but I'd hardly call that a travel experience as it will mostly be tanning, partying and shopping :P

I'm a high school senior so I'm off to uni (hopefull) next year, and if everything goes according to plan I'll be living in the US next year and spend a year there before I return to Norway. And hopefully I'll be able to take one or two semesters of my degree in Australia.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My most interesting travelling experience was probably spending three weeks in western Canada two year ago. I lived one week with some friends of some friends and travelled southern British Columbia and western Alberta for a week and a half, and ended up in Vancouver where I spent the last few days. It was amazing! I went horseback riding in the woods and drove through three or four (I think) national parks. I really want to go back there.

I really want to visit that part of Canada. My parents were there this summer and from their pics it looks goergous.

The highlights for me were white-water rafting on the Zambezi river, (the biggest adrenaline rush of my life, although I only fell out once), Victoria Falls and wandering around Livingston. Later, we visited Kruger National Park and Soweto.

That sounds amazing. I went rafting in Lesotho but the river was really dry the time of year i went, so we didn't get that many rapids! It was fun though. We ended up going down in rubber rings. Did you see anything at Kruger? I was really lucky and saw Lions, Rhion, Elephant, Hyena, Zebra, Giraffe...only thing missing was a Leopard but maybe next time. :)

Victoria Falls are simply stunning. I took a helicopter ride over them and it was just so beautiful. You could hear them from then hotel i was staying at in Zambia and actually see the msi from the spray. I wandered around Livingston too, it was quite overwhelming for me at first.

I have a bit of an obsession with Africa. I've fallen in love with the place, lol. (Especially Ghana.) Cape Town is really nice too. I went white shark diving there, it was so scary but i got the biggest aderaline rush!

I've been to a few countries. I went to Menorca (much to my protest, I hate the sun) twice, and mainland Spain once. I went to Wales for a few days and I've been to England. In Wales, our class stayed in a town called Bala and we traveled to other places in the same area. It was really nice and I really enjoyed it. In England, I went to London. That was... an experience. It was too big for my liking. I prefer small cities that aren't boiling in summer. :P

We have traveled to the US a number of times. First time was a few weeks after the terrorist attacks in 2001. We went to Florida and New York. That's when I accidentally found myself looking at the wreckage of the Twin Towers... :unsure: And I was also in New York in 2003 for Christmas. We had christmas dinner in Mikey Mantels. It snowed when we were having dinner. ^_^ And after dinner I somehow managed to stand in front of Ricki Lake who was waiting for her Limo outside the Plaza Hotel!

I traveled around Norway for a week in July of this year. It was so much fun! I wasn't quite expecting it to be so hot :lol: Oslo was great, Flaam and the fjords were cool, Bergen was super and Stavanger was cool too. On our way back, we found out that the radar in Dublin Airport shut down and only a number of flights were being let back in. We stayed in a town called Larvik (south of Torp Airport) and it was really nice. We then flew to Bremen in Germany and we stayed there for a day. It was lovely and the people were nice too. After that, we managed to get home.

In January, I'm going to Paris. That should be fun! And I hope to travel more now that I'm free of teachers and homework! I want to go to Japan, China, Mongolia, Russia, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, New Zealand, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Switzerland, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Egypt, South Africa, Zimbabwe, and MAYBE Australia. :)

I've been to new york 3 times, i absolutely love it there.

I've been to boston, it was nice but i dont think id go back there again.

I was in Canada in September that was amazing and they people are also great will be going back there hopefully.

London is also really nice and wales was ok.

I really want to go to Australia and florida next.

Travelling is in my blood, bigtime. Absolutely love doing it, and have so many plans for the future!

I'm from Ireland, and lived there until July of this year, when I moved to London. Still in London at the moment, but on the 27th November I'm moving to Oz for up to a year. After Oz, going to travel around Asia for 6 weeks, and then do a roadtrip across North America. Previously, I've lived in Boston for three months and absolutely loved it; that city is in my blood now!

Elsewhere; I've seen New York, Florida, San Jose, San Francisco, France, England, Ireland, Thailand, Rome, and trying to remember where else! Northern Ireland. [thinks hard]

Around the world trip for me please :D

In January, I'm going to Paris. That should be fun! And I hope to travel more now that I'm free of teachers and homework! I want to go to Japan, China, Mongolia, Russia, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, New Zealand, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Switzerland, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Egypt, South Africa, Zimbabwe, and MAYBE Australia. :)

I wanna go to a bunch of those countries as well. I really want to go to Mongolia some time, and maybe Hong Kong and Singapore as well. Oh! And Malaysia and Oman! In Europe I want to go to Ireland and Turkey. And Svalbard, even though that's technically a part of Norway :P

There are a bunch of destinations in Africa that would be interesting as well, especially Namibia, Egypt and Tunisia. And I want to go to Australia and New Zealand. And of course, my favourite country in the entire world: The Federated States of Micronesia! :D

I love traveling. I've been fortunate enough to visit a few spectacular places in my time.

I Absolutely loved Morocco. Everything about it. The culture, vibrant colors, the people, the open markets & the food. It was an amazing experience. I stayed in Marrakech for a week. It wasn't enough time for me to see the the whole city but, what I saw of it was truly amazing. The nights where my favorite. The whole city, would just come alight. I hope to go back there soon. Once I can afford it. :P I have a friend living in Rabat, & He said I can gatecrash his place anytime! I'll be keeping that offer in mind! :P

About 2 years ago I went to Egypt & I didn't want to leave the place. Knowing its history, I wanted to explore the country further but unfortunately I wasn't able too. England was calling. The pyramids where by far the most exciting part. Just Wow! I didn't realise how big it was, till I was standing in front of it, looking like a tiny midget compared to what was behind me. :P

Now on to Europe! :P Well I've been all over England. I've been to Wales a few times, mainly visiting Cardiff & Swansea. I've only been to Ireland once. Dublin is a fantastic city. Although on my visit, I had an encounter with a drunken person. Not nice. =P I went to Edinburgh with my school. Visited the Scottish Parliament and whatnot. It was niiiice. I've been to Paris a few times with school too. Personally I think its overrated. I hope I don't get slated for saying that. lol. I've been to Italy once. I loved it, but they rip people off! For a bottle of water they charged me twice its price, seeing that I was a tourist. =O But one place which I adore is Barcelona! :D The beaches are to die for. Been there twice. It was brilliant. Went there this summer with friends. We had a whole apartment to ourselves & it didn't cost us that much.

There's so many places I went to visit. America being one of them! I would love to do a road trip through America. That would be amazing. But not yet. Maybe in a few years time. Canada, Maldives, Johannesburg, New Zealand, Japan & the rest of Europe are all amongst my long list of where to go. I was contemplating taking a gap year to travel, but realising that I couldn't afford it I opted for Uni instead. =P Hopefully through The Arasmes Program [Exchange program] I'll be studying abroad for my third year of my degree. Preferably Egypt. I love that place.

I have to say i was really disappointed by the Pyramids. Don't get me wrong, they're spectacular to look at and really amazing but it's so touristy it completely spoils it. I couldn't believe how much hassel i got walking around them by local men. I know you have to expect it, but this was taking it to the extreme. It spoiled it for me. Also, the fact that they're now so close to the city. I don't know, it just wasn't what i expected.

I think Africa is a fascinating continent but i by far prefer Sub-Saharan countries. I want to go back and work in Ghana next year hopefully, in development and/or education. I got more harrassment from 2 days in Egypt compared to 6 months in Ghana, and i found it really un-necessary. But i still want to visit Morocco, hopefully in a few weeks!! Botswana and Zambia are also wonderful, especially if you want to do a safari. Botswana is just goerous and the sun-sets are out of this world.

Barcelona is one of my favourite European cities. It's beautiful. I adore the architecture. I also love Prague. The Old Town is beautiful.

Has anyone been to Las Vegas? Even though it's extremely tacky it's so well done. It's like a giant playground for adults. Unfortunately when i was there i was only 19 so couldn't play in the casions :lol: But it was awesome. I didn't really like LA though. Hollywood was just dirty and cheap and didn't do anything for me. I was really disappointed.

The highlights for me were white-water rafting on the Zambezi river, (the biggest adrenaline rush of my life, although I only fell out once), Victoria Falls and wandering around Livingston. Later, we visited Kruger National Park and Soweto.

That sounds amazing. I went rafting in Lesotho but the river was really dry the time of year i went, so we didn't get that many rapids! It was fun though. We ended up going down in rubber rings. Did you see anything at Kruger? I was really lucky and saw Lions, Rhion, Elephant, Hyena, Zebra, Giraffe...only thing missing was a Leopard but maybe next time. :)

Victoria Falls are simply stunning. I took a helicopter ride over them and it was just so beautiful. You could hear them from then hotel i was staying at in Zambia and actually see the msi from the spray. I wandered around Livingston too, it was quite overwhelming for me at first.

I have a bit of an obsession with Africa. I've fallen in love with the place, lol. (Especially Ghana.) Cape Town is really nice too. I went white shark diving there, it was so scary but i got the biggest aderaline rush!

I didn't see a Leopard either, the only one of the big 5 that I missed. I think I saw most of the ones you mentioned though.

The rapids on the Zambezi were really scary, but our raft was the luckiest - we only capsized once, and only one of us - my uncle - fell out twice. I know that one group went over on every class 4 or 5 rapid and dropped out at the halfway mark.

Archived