Call It In The Air

Guest monkeysmoke

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 4

The vibrant lighting seared straight through his eyes to his head as soon as he entered the building. He rested his hand on the doorframe to let the dizziness pass through him, before passing through into the noise and vibrancy of the Diner.

Roman spotted him in the doorway, looking dazed and queasy “Hey Aden, what are you doing here?” Roman asked him, walking round the counter to greet him.

Aden looked up at him, but the light still played havoc on his eyelids and he looked down at the floor again.

Roman noticed and held an arm up, holding Aden’s elbow to steady him. “Shouldn’t you be resting at home?” He cautioned quietly.

Before Aden could answer Belle appeared from behind Roman, a tea towel draped across her shoulder “Aden, are you alright?”

“I wish people would stop asking me that” Aden growled, slipping his arm away from Roman and raising it to his head, rubbing his temple.

“OK, just take a seat” Roman, ignoring Aden’s bad mood, guided him to a chair before turning to Belle “Can you get him a drink?” he asked her. Belle nodded willingly before rushing back to the kitchen.

Aden allowed himself to be lead by Roman, leaning over the table in front of him as he sat there. He had just made it through the school day, but now he felt unbelievably sick, and there was a pain that soared through his back that had been indescribable since the painkillers he’d taken that morning had worn off. He hadn’t felt capable of walking all the way back home just yet, but there was no way he was going to admit that as the reason why he was here.

Roman slid into the seat opposite Aden, eyeing him. He looked rough, and was clearly trying to disguise the pain he was in. Roman wasn’t sure whether to play along or take control and take him back home. Reflecting on how fiery Aden could be Roman settled for the first option.

“So you went back to school today then?” Roman queried, nodding to the uniform Aden wore, trying to lighten the atmosphere.

“Look I’m not here for 20 questions Roman, just a drink is all” Aden snapped at him.

Roman sighed “OK, well, do you want me to phone your dad?” Roman offered, rising up out of the seat.

Aden looked up to glare at him “And why would I want you to do that?” he spat at him disapprovingly.

“No reason I guess” Roman replied, feeling defeated, he raised his palms up at him in surrender. “Look if you do want to talk to me, I’ll be just over there, alright?” Roman pressed, nodding back to behind the counter

Aden grunted an incomprehensible response and Roman reluctantly walked away round the back.

Aden breathed in a sharp breath and gripped his side as another bout of pain ran down his back. He bent down and searched inside his bag clumsily for some more painkillers. As he did so he came across the blue parcel that Annie had given to him that morning. Forgetting the painkillers and the need for them, he pulled it out and placed it on the table in front of him. Annie was one of the people to come and see him at hospital. She wasn’t his dad or Roman, who kept trying to look after him. She wasn’t Nicole, who wanted something from him. At the time he had assumed it was her conscience, because of what had happened before between them. Now she’d given him a present, and he felt like there was more to it. He didn’t know what exactly. He studied the package, wondering what was inside, if it would give him the answer, whether it would change things.

“What’s that?”

Aden felt the vibration of the table as a glass was placed onto it. He looked up and over it to Belle, the person behind the voice who was now speaking to him.

Aden shrugged “Nothing. Just something Annie gave me” He explained casually, his voice gruffer than he had intended.

Belle raised her eyebrows at him. She hadn’t known Annie had done that. She thought Annie might have told her about something like that, especially after what she had told her, when Aden had been in the hospital;

Flashback

“Belle, why don’t you stay? I mean, surely the whole point of visiting someone is to be there for when they wake up?” Annie asked curiously.

Belle stood outside the room, opposite Annie, arms folded, with her coat draped over one of them. “No, really, I have to go”

“Why?” Annie whined, frustrated with her odd behaviour. “I don’t get it Belle. You come here every morning, and watch him sleep. Then when he wakes up, you always say you have to go. Why?”

“I told you; I just wanted to give you a lift” Belle lied.

“Belle, I never said I was going to visit every day that was your idea. Besides, that’s till doesn’t make sense. Why not come in with me and then give me a lift back, instead of leaving now and coming back an hour later?” Annie quizzed certain now by the way Belle had become so defensive, that there was more to it.

“I told you I have things I need to do!” Belle snapped at her, pulling her coat on “SO now I’m going to go”

“Belle!” Annie yelled at her “If you don’t tell me then I’m going to tell him you’ve been coming here everyday” Annie warned her. She hadn’t told Aden deliberately because Belle had asked her not to, which had raised her suspicions even further.

“No! Please don’t do that” Belled asked her urgently.

“Then tell me! I mean, if it’s nothing, then why do you care if he knows?”

Annie had caught her out and Belle knew it. She sighed. “Ok, ok, but if I tell you, you have to swear to keep it a secret”

Annie nodded wearily “Yeah ok, will you just tell me?”

Belle sighed again, stepping towards Annie “The morning Aden came into hospital….” She began, stumbling over her words.

Annie urged for her to go on with a movement of the head.

Belle rolled her eyes “Well, something weird happened between us”

“Look I know you guys shared a bed together if that’s what you mean” Annie replied casually.

Belle’s eyes bulged out at her “You what?”

Annie sighed “I saw you, I mean, you were still asleep. Anyway, if that’s what this is about then don’t you think it’s even more reason for you to go in there and speak to him?” Annie urged kindly.

Belle straightened up, annoyed by the assumption “ANNIE WE DID NOT…” Belle stopped as faces turned to look at her, and she lowered her voice to a whisper, leaning towards Annie’s face “We did not sleep together, if that’s what you’re thinking. Not like that anyway” She stated firmly.

“Ok” Annie replied defensively “So again, what’s the big deal with him seeing you?” Annie repeated.

“Because…” Belle began, before slumping her shoulders and deciding to be truthful “Because we did kiss”

Annie raised her eyebrows and Belle continued to explain before she could respond “Not then, before that day. We kissed before then… and then we sort of, almost kissed that morning”

“Why didn’t you?” Annie asked bluntly, making Belle take a step back. It was something Annie never would have asked before, and it caught her off guard.

Belle battled with herself, unsure herself now. “I don’t really know” Belle answered honestly “Look; can you please just not tell him? About any of it?” Belle searched Annie’s eyes for a promise.

Annie nodded at her “Alright” She agreed reluctantly.

Belle’s memory was interrupted by the sound of Aden giving a sharp cry of distress. She looked up to see him gripping his side “Aden?” She asked worriedly, bending down to his side.

Aden felt his body slowly weakening on him, each new burst of pain became harder to fight against. He heard Belle’s voice blurry and distant beside him.

“Aden?” Belle prompted urgently.

Roman rushed over to them, having witnessed the scene “Aden?” Roman asked, coming to stand beside Belle.

“Roman I think we ought to take him home” Belle told him, placing a hand on Aden’s shoulder.

“I’m fine” Aden argued through gritted teeth, gripping the table edge now.

“Yeah I think you’re right” Roman agreed, ignoring him.

“Well look, we can’t both leave, but if you help me get him to my car I’ll take him home if you want?” She offered readily.

Roman sighed, unhappy with the idea. He looked around at the expectant customers, who witnessed the scene worryingly, and let his eyes come back to Belle. “Yeah, alright”

Belle moved out of the way, so Roman could come to stand beside Aden, watching as he lifted him into a standing position. Aden cried out again at the abrupt movement of his body. Belle watched Roman lead him out of the Diner, before grabbing the blue parcel on the table and throwing it into his bag. She slung it over her shoulder before catching up with them, to alleviate the weight from Aden’s other side as they led him to Belle’s car.

Belle opened the passenger door and watched Roman position Aden’s body into it. “Aden, Belle’s going to take you home ok?” Roman asked him slowly.

“I’m in pain, not retarded Roman” Aden reminded him angrily.

Roman smiled; relieved he wasn’t in so much pain he couldn’t talk. “Remind me to give you the speech on political correctness when you’re feeling better?” Roman joked, straightening up. “I’ll phone your dad and let him know you’re coming ok?” Roman warned him. Aden glared at him but said nothing. Roman smiled and shut the car door, turning to Belle, who stood behind him “Call me if there’s any trouble? Please?” Roman asked her confidentially.

Belle nodded “Sure” She agreed easily, before sweeping round to the other side of the car and entering the driver’s seat. Roman watched as Belle started the engine and drove off, before unwillingly going back inside the Diner.

Just so you know: I have no idea what the side of effects of a Kidney transplant are, so all signs in this fic are, as the word fic suggests, entirely fictional.

At last we have some Adelle interaction!

Love the little flashback... Belle's really fallen for him, hasn't she? I hope you don't tease us and keep pushing them away from each other!

“I’m in pain, not retarded Roman” Aden reminded him angrily.

Loved that line. Sorry, I know it's wrong, but it's typical Aden.

Another wonderful chapter!

xoxo

aww Belle like's Aden! :) and she went to see him everyday in the hospital and watched him sleep :wub: AOL

I loved the flashback, I like how Annie is in this fic.

I hope Aden will be okay! [please make him okay]

Update soon. I wanna find out what happens when they get home :)

xxx

Archived