Call It In The Air

Guest monkeysmoke

Chapter 2

“How is my favourite Ollie?” Miles asked, pulling a funny face at the toddler who sat, half wrapped in a blanket on the living room sofa. He leant his face towards the small boys, grimacing and sticking out his tongue, making him giggle.

Kirsty, who sat diligently by Ollie’s side, smiled at the exchange. Reaching an arm up and stroking Ollie’s head “He’s doing great today”

“I see he’s playing now. That’s good” Miles commented cheerily, coming to sit in the armchair.

“Yeah, I never thought I’d say this, but seeing him smother my favourite lipstick over the wall this morning was such a relief”

Miles smiled to himself, “Oh that was Ollie? I thought you’d just taken up the art of graffiti” Miles joked at her, glad to see she was a bit more relaxed for a change.

She threw a sofa cushion at him “Funny.” she replied, the world dripping in sarcasm “I just hope Alf finds it that amusing. I don’t think he’s seen it yet” she grimaced, looking at Ollie.

“Are you kidding? Alf was the one to buy him all that chocolate yesterday, and he let him play with his most prized and beloved fishing rod. Trust me, he’s not going to be fussed about some wall” Miles told her calmly.

“He is being overly nice at the moment” Kirsty noted.

“Well he’s just relieved to have Ollie back home” adding softly “We all are”

Kirsty let her eyes linger on his, reading his emotions in them. “Really?” She asked him

“Yeah” Miles said enthusiastically “I think Jai really likes playing older brother”

“And what about you?” Kirsty asked him finally.

“You know I want you here” his words and face were serious. Too serious. He needed to escape them, and he did so by lifting himself out of the chair and walking round to the kitchen “Do you fancy a cuppa?” he asked her casually, automatically unhooking two mugs from the mug tree on the kitchen counter top.

“Sure” Kirsty answered, sitting there, not having quite caught up with his change of emotions. They had gone back to their usual family dynamic ever since Kirsty had brought Ollie back home last week, except for a slight undertone she sensed whenever she was around Miles. It was like before, they would grow close, he would hint how much he liked her, but instead of before where they would continue to grow closer, now it was as if he would shut down on her. She knew it was from the events at the hospital, but she had no idea how to openly state that in a conversation. As the kettle boiled behind her she let her mind take her back to that drafty corridor;

“I was supposed to be looking after him” she whispered, letting her hair fall in front of her face.

“Listen, Kirsty, none of this is your fault. Kane knows that” He told her firmly, brushing her hair away from her face, so he could see her clearly.

She looked at him, he allowed himself to keep stroking her hair a little longer than necessary; placing it delicately behind her shoulder. She sat and watched him for a moment, comforted by the attention. “Miles I…” Before Kirsty could continue the sentence the double doors at the end of the corridor burst open

What would she have said if Kane hadn’t come through those doors? She couldn’t remember, or hadn’t even known at the time, she couldn’t really tell which.

“Here you go” Miles placed a steaming mug into her hands “And this one’s for you” Miles leant towards Ollie and placed a beaker in his hand “The strong stuff” he said to him jokingly “Do I have something on my face?” Miles asked her as he stepped back, noticing how she had watched him the whole time.

She shook her head “No, sorry, just in my own little world…” she answered distractedly

“I know what you’re thinking” he said chummily, plonking himself down on the armrest next to her, so he was seated higher than her.

“You do?” she said hurriedly, feeling exposed

“Mmmmhmmm” he said nodding “You were thinking about Jade” he decided, looking down at her. “I’m right aren’t I?”

“Yeah” she lied, placing the burning mug on the table

“Yeah sorry, I should have said, it’s hot” Miles pointed at the mug apologetically. “Look if you miss her, then ring her, I’m sure you’ve got lots to catch up on” He suggested.

Kirsty let Miles lead her thoughts to Jade. They had become close again throughout the weeks that Ollie had been in hospital. Jade hadn’t left Summer Bay till she had known Ollie was going to be alright. They hadn’t really said much to each other, mainly Jade just sat with Kirsty and made herself useful, but there was an understanding between them. Jade was there for her, and she was there for Jade, but only when they really needed each other. As soon as Ollie was better Jade had made her excuses and gone, no hug, no goodbye, no ‘I’ll call you’, that was it. Kirsty understood it, but she couldn’t make Miles understand, not without telling him everything, about her past, about Kane.

“I am the daughter of a rapist”.

Irene sighed, not fully having let this new information sink in “Kirsty, that’s not your fault love” she reassured her, although she knew already from her years of watching Kirsty fly off the handle, that whatever she said would not stop her from erupting right now.

“It makes sense though doesn’t it?” She turned and glared at her now; seeking out Irene’s hidden thoughts on the matter, when she couldn’t find any she pushed further “I mean, I did marry a known rapist Irene…. Oh wait don’t tell me you’d forgotten that?” She added as Irene’s eyes left her. She knew it was because Irene couldn’t bear to look at her, at the truth in her words. “Lets face it, it’s in the blood” the words were chopped up and wonky as they came out of her mouth, as if she couldn’t bear to say them.

“Now look” Irene shouted at her, unable to accept what she was saying. She knew Kirsty, it didn’t matter what facts poured out of her mouth or how bad they sounded, and she knew she was better than how history portrayed her. “They are not even close to the same thing!”

“Irene they’re exactly the same can’t you see that? I knew what Kane did to Danni and I still chose him! I chose him over my own family. I never understood why I did it, other than that I felt pushed out. But now…” the venomous yelling left her mid sentence as the tears came to her eyes “now I know exactly why I did it.”

The only thing she could bring herself to tell him about was Aden, but she was bound under an oath of silence;

“We have to. I can’t lie to him forever. He’s my brother and he needs to know”

“If you tell him I will lose him. He’s the only family I have left” he told her sombrely “I’m helping you to keep your son, now I’m asking you to help me keep mine” he glanced at her as she stared through the window. She glanced back at him, analysing him. She looked at them both and thought of all the mistakes she had made, of all the pain she had caused. She thought about Aden, about everything she knew he had been through. “Alright” she told him finally, bowing shamefully at what she was agreeing to do. “OK. I won’t tell him”

He nodded, relief sweeping through his eyes “Thank you”

Her, Irene and Larry were the only people who knew, and it couldn’t go any further. They weren’t just sworn together by a blood pact, they were sworn together by Ollie, by the fact he was still living and breathing. Ollie had a little piece of Aden inside of him now; and every time she looked at him she remembered what she’d agreed to.

There was a knocking at the door that shook her out of herself. “I’ll get that” Miles leaped off the armrest towards the door, glad to get away from the sight of watching Kirsty mentally wrestle with her inner thoughts. None of which she would reveal to him.

“Mr Bartlett? Hello?” Miles greeted, his tone surprised.

“Hello there Miles, I’ve just come to see Kirsty” he informed him professionally.

“Oh right, well come in” Miles held the door open as Bartlett entered. Kirsty, on hearing her name, rose out of her chair. “Hi”

“Hi, Kirsty, I just wanted to make sure little Oliver was ok” Bartlett told her kindly.

Miles stood back, watching the scene in amazement. He had never seen Bartlett be nice to anybody.

“Oh, he’s doing really well. Thank you” Kirsty answered politely, feeling like a school girl under his gaze.

“Um, can I get you a drink or anything?” Miles offered.

“No thank you Miles. I need to get to school in just a minute. I just came round to tell Kirsty that her job is waiting for her whenever she is ready to come back. There is no rush” He smiled at her welcomingly.

Kirsty looked at him in amazement, she had completely forgotten about her first day working at the school. That was the day her life had been put on hold, when Ollie had been taken to hospital. “Oh”

“It’s ok” Bartlett interjected “Like I say, there’s no rush.”

“That’s very kind of you Mr Bartlett but I really don’t feel its fair I mean, I hardly have a job to go back to. I didn’t even make it through the first day” she reminded him, although she was pretty sure he could remember.

“All due to circumstances beyond your control.” He answered back understandingly.

Kirsty fiddled with her hands in front of her. She really needed the money, but it seemed like such a liberty, “Mr Bartlett I can’t let you do that for me” she told him softly.

“You’re not letting me do anything for you. You will be doing something for me.”

Kirsty raised her eyebrows at him, confused.

“The time and effort it would take to find somebody else would be a great expense and quite frankly, a waste of my time when I know I have somebody already who is able to do the job” He informed her.

Miles made a confused face behind Bartlett’s back, as if the man had gone completely insane.

Kirsty caved “Ok then. I guess I could start back next week?” she offered, not wanting to leave Ollie just yet.

“Excellent” Bartlett smiled at her “See you then.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay for some tea?” Kirsty asked him, feeling she should offer him some token of kindness in return

“No, thank you but I really must be getting to school. I’m going to be very late otherwise” As he turned to leave Miles readjusted his face, so as not to cause offence, but Bartlett caught his movements by a fraction. He turned to look at him “Shouldn’t you be getting yourself to work as well Mr Copeland? I’d hate for you to be late as well?” he asked him, an authoritative tone to his voice that turned the question into more of a command.

“Yep, I’m right behind you” Miles smiled at him through gritted teeth as Bartlett reluctantly left it at that and exited the house. Miles pulled another face at Kirsty “Guess I’d better be off. See you later”.

“Yeah see you later” Kirsty replied, watching them go before turning to study Ollie again, who sat quietly on the sofa, observing the scene with a cheeky smile.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 3

Aden felt about 50 pairs of eyes turn to stare at him as he made his way through the school grounds. He shifted hard but nervous glances about him to fend them off, which created a clear path for him to walk through. He felt translucent as they watched him, he knew they were looking for some sort of missing part in him. They couldn’t see underneath him, to that scar that lined his back, but they still looked at him anyway.

He spotted Nicole barging past the throng of people that loitered outside the entrance to the school building and he raced after her, desperate for some sort of interaction that involved actual words and not just blank staring.

“Nicole!” He called out once more as she entered the building, only a few steps behind her now. “Nicole for the last time, I’m sorry alright? I didn’t mean it” He had already tried to apologise on the way to school, always walking a few metres behind her, but she hadn’t been interested.

She continued to ignore him, as she had done for the entire journey, she’d wanted to forgive him the moment he’d first apologised, but her stubborn pride wouldn’t allow her to give in that easily. She wanted to see how long he would keep following her for, how much he really cared about her.

“Come on Nic, you can’t just ignore me forever” He told her pleadingly, jogging along beside her now.

Nicole spotted Geoff and Annie at the other end of the corridor. She turned to glare at Aden “Oh yeah? Try me” she snapped at him, before marching towards the pair. “Geoff! Hey, wait up!” She called out to him.

Geoff looked at her, confused by her greeting. “Uh hi”

Aden watched as Nicole skipped up next to Geoff, letting her hand glide up the side of his arm “Walk me to class?” He heard her ask him, as she tiptoed up to his face and fluttered her heavily mascared eyelashes at him.

Geoff furrowed his brow at her, but his confusion, and every other thought in his head melted as he looked at her “Sure” he mumbled, letting her lead him away by the arm.

Aden strolled towards an abandoned Annie, and the pair of them watched as Nicole led Geoff down the corridor, leaning into him as she went.

Annie looked up at Aden, who glared at the scene before him. “Hey, how are you?” she greeted.

“Fine” Aden replied shortly, flitting his eyes away from Nicole and Geoff momentarily to look at her.

“What was that about?” Annie asked him, following his gaze up to the now empty stretch of corridor.

“What was what about?” he asked her, feigning ignorance.

Annie shrugged “Well, Nicole hasn’t even acknowledged Geoff since the first week when she found out he was a Christian, so what gives?”

Aden sighed, latching on to Nicole’s game “Trust me. You don’t want to know”

Annie looked over her shoulder once more, before changing subjects “Are you sure you should be back at school yet?” She asked him, concern etched over her face as she eyed him up and down.

Aden shifted, uncomfortable at being looked over “Yeah I’m fine”

“Ok… just asking” she muttered quietly, struck by his aggressive tone.

Aden sighed, letting his eyes fall down to hers “I’m just, sick of people asking, that’s all” he explained, guilt at upsetting her taking over. He placed his hands deep inside his pockets, to stop himself fiddling with them.

Annie smiled weakly “It’s horrible when you can feel people have just been talking about you, isn’t it?” She asked him knowingly, thinking back to a month ago, when it had been her under the spotlight.

“Yeah” Aden admitted, his eyes softening to her as he thought back to the horrible things people had said about Annie over the past few months, what people were still saying;

Aden slouched in his chair at the back of Mile’s lesson, trying desperately to avoid the whispers that circulated around the room. Miles, also overly aware of the hot new gossip of Annie Campbell’s ‘new victim’ Axel, was reading awkwardly and unnecessarily loudly as he tried to drown them out, but to no avail.

“At least they’re staring at you because you did something good though, right?” She reminded him, trying to lift his mood.

“They’re staring because it’s something to talk about. They don’t care about what I did.” He informed her.

“That’s not true” She tried to sound convincing, although she wasn’t sure herself.

“Yeah, well, whatever, I just wish people would stop staring” he replied, shrugging the conversation away.

“I uh, I heard your living back home again?” Annie queried cautiously, tapping her foot nervously on the linoleum floor.

Aden raised a suspicious eyebrow at her.

“I went to visit you yesterday, and Roman told me” she explained.

“Yeah well, Roman’s got his own stuff going on” Aden responded vaguely, looking away from her.

Annie studied him for a moment, realising she’d overstepped the mark. She thought back to when he'd led her down to the alcove on the beach, after Axel had attacked her;

“Aden. Thank you. For helping me, I don’t know what would have happened if you hadn’t been there.” It was as though apologising to him unlocked the vault to all these other things she wanted to say. “I should never have accused you of something like that. I had no idea what I was talking about. Now I do, I hate myself for what I did. So I guess I can’t understand why you don’t hate me too. I owe you so much” She admitted to him. The words spilled out of her, and she felt renewed. She knew herself again, this was who she wanted to be.

“I don’t hate you Annie” He whispered to her, still staring at the ground. “I would never wish that on you… on anyone.” His words were definite; there was edginess to his voice that struck a chord in her.

She gazed at him, and this time he looked up to meet it. Suddenly the hidden weight unveiled itself. She read a meaning, a story in his eyes. One she didn’t need to know the full tale of to recognise. It was another connect the dots, more complex this time. Silent tears ran tracks down her face as she linked all the clues together in her mind. She could read him now for the same reasons he could read her. There wasn’t a complete story, but he gave away enough for her to understand him.

So it was supposed to remain unacknowledged then, as though it had never happened. She let it go, feeling she owed him that much “Well anyway, I was going to drop by after school but seeing as you’re here…” She trailed as she slung her backpack onto the floor and began rummaging through it. She pulled out a small parcel and stepped back up; handing it to him as she did so “This is for you”.

“What is it?” Aden asked, inspecting the rectangular parcel, covered in blue tissue paper.

“Well I wouldn’t have wrapped it up if I was going to tell you” She told him jokingly.

Aden looked at her wide eyed “Annie Campbell, I didn’t know you could be so rude” he replied, “I like it” he added, smiling at her.

Annie smiled, embarrassed by the acknowledgment. Everyone had started looking at her oddly these past few weeks; Geoff, Belle, Irene, they all shot her odd glances when she came out with odd remarks like that, but Aden was the only person to get straight to the point, to openly acknowledge a slight change to her character. She didn’t see it as a bad or a new thing exactly, it just felt like she was freer to speak her mind now, as if she was unveiling herself for the first time.

The bell rang, ending the conversation. “I should get to class” Annie told him, ready to rush off.

“Yeah me too” Aden replied, still looking down at the unopened gift in his hands. He looked up to see Annie’s back, walking away from him. “Annie” he called out after her.

She turned to face him.

He lifted the present up, so she could see it above the mass of school children that had suddenly invaded the corridor, separating them “Thanks” he shouted over them.

She smiled at him, before disappearing into one of the classrooms that lined the school corridor.

Aw Annie! I love their relationship in this fic. It's almost like siblings... It's just too cute! :wub:

Awesome chapter as always. Poor Aden with all those stares. Although if he came to my school, I'd probably stare at him all of the time regardless...

Anyway, I hope you update soon. Maybe once again tonight? To help me get through these horrendous assignments that I should be doing instead of reading and writing fics...? :P

xoxo

Archived