Doubts Emerge Over Todd Lasance's Crash

Guest cutiepie379

Doubts emerge over Todd Lasance's crash

The Daily Telegraph

August 23, 2008

New witnesses have emerged to challenge initial claims Home And Away star Todd Lasance was not speeding in the lead-up to a horror car crash earlier this month.

Police are continuing their investigation into the accident, which totalled Lasance's Toyota Supra and left 80-year-old Margaret Holland in intensive care at Royal North Shore Hospital.

Home and Away star trapped in car crash

Preliminary reports suggested Mrs Holland had allegedly made an improper right-hand turn on Warringah Rd, Forestville, contributing to the collision.

However, it is understood fresh witness accounts of the incident have put the initial cause in doubt.

Acting Inspector Gill Hough confirmed a female driver who contacted Confidential, along with five others, had come forward to give statements, some conflicting.

"Six witnesses have approached police regarding this matter but the investigation is still pending because we are waiting to interview one of the drivers, who we believe is still in hospital," Insp Gough said.

Mrs Holland's doctor husband Victor told Confidential his wife, released from ICU earlier this week, sustained three fractures in her right leg, a collapsed lung, nine broken ribs on one side and required eight units of blood.

The female witness, who declined to be named, alleged she was driving parallel to Mrs Holland at the time of the accident and has told police she believes speed was a factor.

Lasance has not spoken publicly since the August 10 crash and declined to comment again when contacted by Channel 7 yesterday.

Sucks if it's true :(

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This kind of cr*p alway happens after an accident, eye witness testimony is among the most unreliable there is. Everyone has different perceptions and statements conflict. The situation is made worse for someone like Todd because he's in the public eye, it's probably best to wait for the official investigation rather than speculating about what happened.

I am pleased to hear that the other driver seems to be recovering.

They were some nasty injuries for an elderly lady like that to sustain. Her recovery time wouldn't be as great as a younger person's.

True enough, not to mention the long term effects they could have! I wouldn't want the physio for that combination of fractures (post cast removal of course) at my age, never mind 80!

He'll be okay. There was always going to be an investigation - it's a serious accident, there has to be an investigation to find the exact cause and examine all the factors. He may have been speeding - he's the only one that will know that - but if the woman did turn illegally, the accident may not have been avoidable at any speed. It actually sounds to me that he just had the better car - it may have been totaled, but a good car is designed to do that in a crash to absorb the impact so that the people inside don't get hurt. Also the angle that the cars hit at would determine the injuries - if he hit her head on, he'd be more likely to be okay than her if she was hit side-on, because not all cars have side air-bags for a start, so there's that, and as I said, a good car is designed to crumple and absorb the impact - but that doesn't help you if you get hit in the side and only have a door between you and the other car. Also, obviously, the woman is 80 years old - her bones wouldn't be as dense as they used to be, so of course an impact like that is going to do serious damage. Old people fall down and break bones, so what's a car crash going to do to them? It's biological as much as anything else. They'll take that into account.

I get the feeling that this will be a long, drawn-out, stressful process, but in the end it will work out okay. Maybe it's time to start believing in that positive thinking I've heard so much about.

EDIT: Disclaimer: I'm not a cop, a lawyer, a doctor, or an engineer - I'm basing this on TV shows and Tarot cards... but neither of them had steered me wrong so far...

why would Todd speed,

if he is in the public eye and has such a big fan base he will want to do everything right and correctly to set a good example etc...

also the fact that he is famous makes it worse cause soo many more people have opinions on it, and everyone thinks that there opinon counts..

as emmasi said.. he had the better car and as he is younger he was always going to come off better. the other women was 80 in a honda civic!!

i just feel we should leave it to the poffesionals before we can judge anyone!

poor Todd

I agree, poor Todd too as well as the poor old lady. We haven't heard anything further about the girl he had with him.

It must be a very hard thing to come to terms with, being involved in accident which caused such bad injuries to someone, especially when you walk away with little damage. He will need to be very mentally and emotionally strong to deal with this. At least he has a lot of support from all his fans. I'm sure that will give him some strength.

why would Todd speed,

if he is in the public eye and has such a big fan base he will want to do everything right and correctly to set a good example etc...

Why does any guy his age speed? Being in the public eye doesn't make him a saint, he's only human.

It's going to be tough for all of them waiting for the investigation to finish.

Archived