Two In A Million

Guest PINK

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YESTERDAY-

It had been 1 week and 2 day since Jack and Martha had last spoken at Noahs.

Jack had been working a lot and Sam had been fighting her urges successfully she had stopped seeing Johnny everywhere she went and had finally come to the conclusion that she had in fact committed the perfect murder.

Unbeknown to anyone today which started out like any other day would be one that none of them would ever forget.

Walking through the doors of the police station Jack placed his coat over the rack and made his way over to his desk he noticed a small manila envelop sitting innocently there.

Frowning slightly he made his way over to it he reached his hand out, just millimetres from it he was startled as Fitzy called out to him,

“Jack we have to go, domestic dispute”

Jack zipped around,

“Right lets go” Jack said as he forgot about the envelope and made his way out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Well that was completely pointless” Jack complained as himself and Fitzy re-entered the station.

“Your telling me I could have been getting all this paperwork done that I’ve been putting off for weeks and now that boss tells me he wants it on his desk by five tonight.

“Sounds like fun” Jack said,

“Mmm” Lara replied “What’s that?” she asked frowning at the manila folder on Jacks desk.

Jack turned around,

“Oh, I forgot about that” he said leaning down and picking it up,

Opening it he quickly skimmed his eyes around it his mouth fell open,

“What?” Lara asked him worried,

“Cooper” Jack said simply,

“What about him?” Lara asked confused,

“It’s his autopsy” Jack said taken aback,

“And…” Lara probed,

“He was poisoned” Jack said simply “He was murdered”….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7pm

Jack walked through the doors of his house, taking a whiff of the scent that filled the room realising that Sam had prepared dinner for them two,

“Hey you” Sam said coming out of the bedroom,

“Hey” Jack smiled back at her as she made her way over to him,

“Thankyou for this” Jack said smiling,

“Oh I’m your wife it’s my job” She smiled,

“Thankyou” he said again “I need a nice night after the day I’ve had” he told her but was greeted with a puzzled face from her end,

“Why what happened?” she asked genuinely concerned,

“Oh nothing it doesn’t matter” he told her,

“No come on” she said “Tell me”,

Jack sighed “We got Johnny’s autopsy back today” he told her,

Sam felt as though her whole world had crashed down around her, her stomach turned in knots as she tried to take in the rest of the conversation.

“It turns out someone killed him” Jack told her,

“How?” Sam played dumb as she tried to remain oblivious whilst trying to stay upright,

“He was poisoned” he told her,

“Oh my God” Sam said forcing Jack to want to comfort her for all the wrong reasons.

“It’s ok” he said “This means it wasn’t your fault” he tried to reassure her “Geez I know he was a bad person and deserved to rot in Jail for what he did but no one should ever stoop to those levels whatever their strange and twisted logic is” he told her, her heart sinking as his conversation went on “I think anyone who could ever just outright kill someone is disgusting” he told her,

“They might have had their reasons” she tried to explain but he cut her off,

“And like I said even if they did it’s still” he stopped himself “I don’t know what it is I guess when you work with it and you see so much of it you just begin to realise whatever there reasons were for doing it they all end up being the same as the last one in the long run”,

Sam struggled to hold back the tears as her husband spoke those word, behind him suddenly appeared once again the man in question, ‘Johnny Cooper’ suddenly she snapped, she knew what she had to do,

“How about you go get in the shower, we can eat later and I’ll be in a minute” she tried to be as sexy as she could at this moment

Jack smiled down at her,

“Alright” he said “Seeya soon” he said leaning down and planting a soft kiss on her lips.

“Seeya” Sam said as there hands drifted apart.

Sam watched as he entered the bathroom and waited for him to turn the water on before springing into action.

She slowly made her way over to the desk in the corner, sitting down, she closed her eyes tight before forcing them open again, taking a piece of paper in her shaking hand she grabbed a pen.

“Dear Jack…..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7.30pm

“Sam?” Jack asked as he exited the bathroom pulling a T-shirt over his head.

Looking around puzzled he checked in the bedroom but no-one was there.

Frowning he noticed that the front door was slightly opened, making his way towards it, he walked outside and down the path.

Unbeknownst to him when he walked through those doors again nothing would be the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8.00pm

Walking into the diner he made his way over to Irene who was standing behind the counter counting the muffins.

“Irene” he said,

“Hey love what can I get ya?” she asked him smiling,

“Um nothing but have you seen Sam he asked her

“Uh no love” Irene told him, seeing his face fall she added “Is something wrong?” she asked concerned,

“I hope not” Jack said as he went to make his way out of the diner just as the stairs to Martha’s apartment caught his eyes,

He thought for a minute, he had an urge to go up there, he didn’t know what it was, like he needed to be up there for something, his mind ticked over until he came to the conclusion that he could just pop in casually and his excuse could be that he’s looking for Sam.

He smiled to himself as he quickly turned around and Made his way to the stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KNOCK,KNOCK.

8.15pm

“Coming” Martha yelled as she made her way to the door.

Opening it she was shocked to see Jack on the other side,

“Jack, hey” she said surprised,

“Hey” he said smiling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile…

Sam sat on the edge of the cliff, her legs dangling over the edge as she struggled to stand, she was well and truly off her face, her mind spun as she tried to figure out what she was doing or at least who she was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile…..

“Was there something you wanted?” Martha asked him smiling secretly glad he was there,

“Um” Jack said suddenly remembering what he was doing out at 8.15 on a Friday

night,

“Yeah have you seen Sam?” he asked her,

Her face fell she should have know he just didn’t come for a chat of a visit she was stupid to think that his whole world these days didn’t revolve around ‘Samantha Holden’ she shuddered at the name that she once took so much pride in owning.

“No I haven’t” she snapped,

Jack looked down, She obviously wasn’t anymore keen on Sam than she had been last time he had mentioned her to her.

“Oh ok then” Jack said saddened that they couldn’t just have a normal conversation anymore.

“I think you should go” she said as she wasn’t sure if she was more annoyed of sad.

Just as he went to walk away, the room made a sound almost like a roar, the ground began to shake and Jack came tumbling in through the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile-

Sam attempted once more to lift herself off the hard cold rock just as she had nearly gained her composure, she became dizzy, her mind went black and the ground began to rumble, as if in slow motion she tumbled over the side of the cliff falling into the great depths below her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile-

“Ahh” Martha screamed as she struggled to remain composed,

“It’s ok” Jack yelled at her as he grabbed her around the shoulders and guided her to the safest place he could think of,

Entering the bathroom where not much was unsecure.

He made her sit on the cold tiles were he soon joined her.

“It’s going to be ok” he soothed gently into her ear.

The room continued to shake but suddenly as she heard those words her mind began to drift where it goes a lot,

‘To the past’

“Where going to be ok you know” she soothed gently into her ear and she held her firm grip around his arm.

Looking up at him she could tell that he was just as scared as she was as the trees crashed against the windows and the wind howled through the crisp night air.

Suddenly a feeling washed over her as she gazed into his eyes that were concentrating on what was going on before him, it was a feeling that she had never felt before and there was no other explanation for it was…

“I love you” she blurted out softly causing it to sound nothing more than a small mumble.

“What?” he asked gently leaning his ear towards her to make sure he could here her.

She took a deep breath before repeating,

“I said I love you” she said smiling whilst looking into his eyes.

Smiling down at her his mind flooded with a million thought wondering why he hadn’t of realised it sooner, that’s what he had been feeling, that’s what he hadn’t been able to explain.

“I love you too” he said back to her, no more words were needed, they just stared into each others eyes before Jack leant down and placed a small kiss gently on her kiss before once again pulling her in tightly, holding onto her he silently vowed he would never let her go again…..

“Martha” Jack said softly “Martha” he tried again a little louder finally releasing her from her thoughts.

“Yeah” Martha looked up at him,

“It’s over” he told her,

Martha let out a sigh of relief,

“Thank god” she said relieved, standing up she made her way to the door.

Turning the handle she frowned as she jiggled it trying desperately to get it open.

“What’s wrong” Jack asked standing up and making his way over to her.

“I don’t know” Martha told him confused,

“Something must have fallen” Jack told her as he took over the chore of jiggling the door knob.

“Do you have your phone?” Martha asked him,

“Yeah, yeah” Jack said reaching into his pocket but from the look on his face Martha could tell something was wrong,

“I forgot it” Jack said deflated as he brought his hands out of his pockets,

“Great” Martha said sarcastically,

“We’re stuck in a bathroom, we’ve just had an earthquake and to top it all off no one knows where we are” she started going off at him,

“Hey this isn’t my fault” he told her,

Martha sighed “I know I’m sorry” she told him,

“It’s ok, look I’m sure someone will figure out we’re missing”,

“Yeah I hope so” Martha told him,

“Believe me, by morning we’ll be out of here and I can find out where my damn wifes gotten to”….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The waves crashed violently onto the shore, washing up onto the beach was everything you could imagine from litter to shells, from old shoes to seaweed and used fishing tackle but what the next wave brought was enough to make any ones blood run cold.

Sam’s body.

TODAY-

8AM

“Martha, Martha” Martha was jolted from her peaceful slumber at the sound of her name being called frantically.

Suddenly she felt something she had missed so dearly, waking up in Jacks arms.

Taking a moment to compose her thoughts she reluctantly pulled herself away from Jacks grip around her body letting him slump onto the cold tiles by himself causing him to wake from his own slumber.

“Aunty Morag” Martha yelled against the bathroom door hoping to grab her attention.

“Oh, Martha are you alright?” Morag yelled concerned through the door.

“Yeah I’m alright Jacks in here too” she yelled back as Jack stumbled towards her as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

“I’m going to have to go get some help, the bookcase fell in front of the door” Morag informed them,

“Ok” Martha yelled back,

With that Morag left once again leaving Martha and Jack alone,

“Whatever would Sam say if she knew you spent the night in my arms ey” she tried to make a joke,

“Somehow I don’t think she’d approve” Martha tried to joke back but it just cause an awkward moment between the pair, one of which they had been having a lot of lately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8.30AM

1, 2, 3 Roman, Tony and Ric all lifted the case into an upright state allowing a walk way from the bathroom,

Ric stepped forward and opened the door,

Turning to see the door open Martha and Jack breathed a sigh of relief ,

“What the hell were you guys going in the bathroom all night?” Ric questioned the pair,

“Don’t ask me it was this genius’s idea’ Martha pointed as Jack,

“Well excuse me for trying to save your life” Jack bickered back before Ric cut it,

“So you’re both alright after last night?” Ric wanted to make sure,

“Yeah is there much damage, is anyone hurt?” Martha started to fire off questions,

“There’s quite a lot of damage” Ric informed her, “The beach has been closed off completely”,

“Really?” Martha said,

“Has anyone seen Sam?” Jack all of a sudden blurted out concerned for his wife well being.

Everyone looked at each other before Tony looked back to Jack,

“No mate, I haven’t seen her” he looked concerned, “When was the last time you saw her?” Tony asked him,

“Last night actually, I went to have a shower when I got out she was gone, that’s how I ended up here, I was looking for her” Jack told the group as he thought hard of where his wife could be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile-

Down at the beach, Sam lay mangled between the seaweed, her body was bruised and battered and she had turned a bluish colour.

Waves lapped up around her body as it awaited its discovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was mid-day by the time Jack had looked around everywhere he could that wasn’t cornered off due to destruction from the earthquake.

It had gotten to the stage where he was really starting to get worried.

Jack took a deep breath as he entered his front door.

Opening his eyes wide he scanned them over the ruins that lay inside.

The desk was tipped over; the book shelf too had crashed to the ground sending its contents into ruins.

“Oh my God” Jack gasped as he carefully stood over the ruined objects.

Tony followed close behind his son him too took in the ruined home, suddenly there was a distinct ringing sound, turning in circles Jack searched for the object that would have come in so much use last night.

“Ahh” Jack said as he spotted it near the upturned coffee table.

“Hello” he answered,

“Oh hey Boss”, yeah absolutely, I’ll be there in half 15 minutes.

“Yep ok seeya” Jack said as he hung the phone up,

“I’ve gotta go in really quickly can you keep trying Sam please” Jack asked his father,

“Yeah sure Mate” Tony said as he watched his son hurry into his bedroom to change into his uniform.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I think we better call it a night” McGrath told Jack as they walked along the beach being careful not to crush anything as they went,

“Yeah not much point continuing tonight” Jack said “We’re not going to get anything done”,

All of a sudden out of no where came a voice of another officer.

“Boss I’ve found something” he yelled,

From a distance Jack and McGrath could clearly see what they always dreaded when they put on their uniform of a morning,

‘A body’,

As the pair walked closer towards it, it all of a sudden became recognisable.

“Oh my God” Jack stopped dead in his tracks.

“Jack” McGrath said softly as he realised what Jack had seen,

Jack shook his head, falling to the ground.

He could vaguely make out voices saying,

“Call and Ambulance to get her and get forensics on the phone” but nothing seemed to register as he just stared into the distance and watched as the world went by.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been half an hour since the moment he had seen her body laying lifeless amongst the mangled weeds, he watched on as the forensic team packed up but one thing made him snap, one thing made him lose all control, one thing made him release all of his emotions in one big burst of anger.

‘They zipped up the body bag’,

That was it she was gone, it was over.

Standing up he did the only thing he could think of he ran.

Martha who had just hear the new walked to the very edge of the fenced off area.

“Please I know him” Martha argued with a junior officer.

“I’m sorry miss this is a…” he was cut off my McGrath,

“It’s ok let her through” McGrath ordered.

“Yes sir” the officer agreed straight away, lifting the plastic fence and allowing Martha to look for him.

He ran, as fast as he could, crashing to the ground he let the sound of the waves drum through his head as he let the pain rip through his heart.

Running as fast as she could she caught sight of him in the distance as the waves lapped around his clothed form.

Slowing down her pace she quietly made her way up behind him.

Sitting down beside him she cautiously brought her arm out and wrapped it caringly around his shaking shoulder.

Noticing a presence he needn’t turn nor open his eyes to realise who it was he just reached up and placed his hand her arm which was still wrapped round his shoulder.

She leaned in wrapping her spare arm around his front, as he fell into her caring arms she tightened her grip around his shaking body that was overcome with every emotion possible. As she held on to him tight both of there minds drifted back to two weeks ago when everything began to change, when every move they made formed a road to this moment.

NEXT CHAPTER-

Funderal arangements are underway

Jack attempts to cope with his grief with the help of someone dear to his heart.

COMING SOON

Jack finds two letters

I hope you enjoys I'm not to happy with this chapter but oh well,

PLEASE REVIEW

Archived