The Rainbow Campaign

Guest Perry

I think its so stupid that a gay character would cause so much contreversy. I mean, it annoys me so much. I dont care or care for gay people in any way, if you get what I mean. I mean, its nothing special. It shouldn't cause ratings to go down, I mean, they are normal people after all!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think you can say a gay character caused the ratings to go down. I reckon it's just that people have considered H+A to not be on top form lately.

Is Australia really homophobic compared to England or something? Seems like it to me.

To be honest, I could see the ratings going down based on every other storyline except for the lesbian one. I would imagine that most people would be tuning in to see it, because controversy is supposed to create ratings out of curiosity. That's the theory, anyway. I'm actually not interested in anything else that's going on at the moment, so it is possible that the show is experiencing a natural lull. I'm guessing that a fair few people left in disgust after... (not sure if this is a spoiler...)

Jack was killed.

*Shrug.* As long as there is

Charlie and Joey

I'll be watching.

If there is a lull at the moment then I think it could be because of the unresolved nature of Jack's death. The Angelo storyline had me gripped at the start of the year, but was too conveniently packed away and so far no other storyline has interested me, beyond mild amusement. It felt very anti-climactic after the excellent first couple of weeks.

It almost seems silly that it's caused such a big fuss here. On American shows if they have a same-sex relationship no one blinks an eye.

Ah well. Thanks for listening to us and I applaud all of you for going ahead with a storyline that you would have known would cause a big fuss.

No point rolling your eyes at my comment, its a fact from reliable sources that since the introduction of the character on screen (along with bad publicity surrounding it), the ratings have dropped.
I think that it would be incredibly reckless to fully attribute the drop in ratings to the gay storyline. Right now, it's the only reason why I'm watching the show. And I don't quite understand what you're saying here,

Joey

was on screen as a minor character for quite a while before the general viewing public knew anything about her sexuality, so if the ratings have dropped since the character was introduced I don't think it's her they should be pointing the finger at.

Many of the ongoing storylines over the past month have either been boring, ridiculous or involving unlikable characters and it doesn't help that many of them have been loaded into the earlier half of the week. I personally know of several people who have tuned in just for the gay storyline. Unfortunately they've made the mistake of tuning in on a Monday and were so turned off by quote "the boring crap" they had to sit through, they've decided to forgo regular watching and catch up on the storyline through 'other means', if you know what I mean.

In this day and age, the traditional ways of collecting ratings are becoming increasingly irrelevant. The ratings of most shows are dropping because of the all the new (unmonitored) ways of watching them, nothing is rating like it used to, and the sooner the networks realize and accept this, the better.

ETA: I just checked the ratings thread and it appears that ratings are actually up compared to those of a month ago. Especially on a Thursday and Friday, the only days when

Joey

was on. Towards the end of February, the show consistently failed to rate above 1 million viewers on Friday nights. So unless the ratings that get posted on this board are bogus, I don't get why they're saying that the ratings have dropped because of a single gay character.

If everything else in the show was perfect, then yeah maybe it could be said the 'lesbian' content is the reason, and the only reason the ratings have dropped, but come on, there are numerous things about the show during the exact same period of time, that could be said to be rating dropping happenings as well, or just as much, or is actually the reason for the ratings dropping.

I think this storyline is going to be a letdown- like all the 'rape' storylines. Its like Home and Away is afraid to go there.

I'm not sure what pace you're watching at, but they have already used the word rape within this storyline, quite aggressively, so hopefully that is there way of saying that they're no longer afraid to handle mature storylines properly. I call this gay storyline mature because it involves Charlie and Joey. Dean and Gareth, for example, would be a teen storyline, in my opinion. Oh god how I miss Dean and Gareth...

:(

Archived