Musical Theatre

Guest Foxy

Branching off from the London thread I'd thought I'd start a thread for all the musical theatre enthusiasts out there! :D

I'm a drama student and its most definitely my favourite theatrical "medium".....theres something about telling a story through songs that just really interests me!!

Off the top of my head I've seen (either in the West End or on tour).....Wicked (just a few times... :wink: ), Mary Poppins (GUTTED that its closing in January!), Footloose, Chicago, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Bombay Dreams, Acorn Antiques, Jospeh and the Amazing Techinicolour Dreamcoat, The Rocky Horror Show, Grease, Miss Saigon, The Lion King......

And I'm very much anticipating the West End debut of Hairspray and Spring Awakening both of which have received great reviews on Broadway!!

Any other enthusiasts out there? :D

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lion King is by far the best thing I've seen on stage! It was amazing.

I love going to the West End although I have to admit I've never been a huge fan of musicals - more of an opera girl myself ( :blush: ) although for some reason I really like the musical 'Rent'.

I love the theatre though, I've seen plays like Journey's End (so sad). Blithe Spirit - this was hysterical, Mouse Trap,...I can't think of anymore but there have been some great ones.

Yay! I love this thread already! This year I have been to see Fame! (In Newcastle), Les Miserables, Avenue Q and Wicked in the west end! I also have major love for RENT, the film version and Hairspray the film. Would love to go and see those 2 in theatre. Although I don't like the sound of RENT being remixed. May just give it a chance never know may just love it. Also I know Hairspray is coming to the West end too :D

I also really want to see We Will Rock You, Joseph and the Amazing Techincolor Dreamcoat (with Lee Mead :wub: oh how I love him and his hair) Mamma Mia, Billy Elliot, Footloose, Hairspray, RENT. Grease maybe, the hostel we stayed in, in London was right next to that :lol: Picadilly backpackers.

I was lucky enough to be on the front row for Fame and Wicked, second row for Avenue Q (and bless my friend Saz she booked the wrong amount of tickets for us all and had to the book another one on the front, which meant she had to sit on her own cause she made the mistake. Bless her! Gary Coleman pointed right at her at one point, we were all in hysterics at that part and she disapeared in all the bubbles that came off the stage before that too.) Les Miserables we had rubbish seats though, second from back in the upper circle. I also found it hard to understand, but I loved the songs, as I already had loved a few songs before seeing it and I liked some ones I hadn't heard too. But I just found it a bit hard to follow. One of my friends told me though, that she did the first time she saw it, cause she was asking me what I thought and I told her that.. and she suggested I should go again. I know that she loves it and it's on of her favourites if not her favourite musical. I guess it didn't help that we were so far back either I suppose.

We went to see We Will Rock You at the lovely old restored Regent Theatre in Melbourne. A great show as I am a great fan of the music of Queen.

I saw the Lion King at the same theatre. The costumes and lighting were amazing.

I'll choose for you Dan.....Mary Poppins :wink:

The Rent revival does sound an....'interesting' one - can't say I ever saw Denise Van Outen as Maureen for example!

And rachel&kim...... Journey's End is one of the most moving things I've ever seen, I actually felt incredibly distressed at the end during all the bombing sound effects.

Oooooooooooooh, I LOVE musical theatre! Performing in it, especially :P I've mainly only seen amateur productions down where I used to live, but they were still really good (mainly because I knew most of the people in them). What I'm really looking forward to, though, is Spamalot! And I've got my fingers crossed they decide to come to Perth instead of just staying in Melbourne.

Probably my best musical theatre experience was seeing the Lion King when I was in Sydney...we had a few workshops with the children's director earlier in the week, then went to see it, and the understudy guy was playing Mufasa and we ran into him on the street corner and pretty much threw ourselves onto him. Yeah. It was awesome!

Guest [x]whacko[x]jen[x]

I went to see a college production of 'The wizard of Oz' with my drama class. I was so embarrased on the way back. I said 'It's based in Oz as in Australia??' I never new it was a made up place :unsure:

I want to see the prodution 'One girl, one pill, one bad night' by Mr G in Summer heights high. If only it was real...

Archived