Back to the Bay.net Downtime

Guest Chris J

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please keep post counts for members viewing only??

Whats so great about Post Counts? Why d'you need them? :unsure:

We don't "need" them, but I guess I like them for comfort. "One-liners" (as I posted quite a few) annoyed others when we had them and was one of the reasons they were taken away. With them back, I feel less guilty about it. :P

Please keep post counts for members viewing only??

Whats so great about Post Counts? Why d'you need them? :unsure:

We don't "need" them, but I guess I like them for comfort. I felt some of my "one-liners" annoyed others when we had them and are was one of the reasons they were taken away. With them back, I feel less guilty about it. :P

No Aquamarine...... you have no reason to feel guilty...... we all make one line posts at times... I do it all the time :P ... it's not against the rules!

The reason they were taken away is that a small group of members spoilt it for every one else...they were competing against each other to achieve a high post count... they would post :lol: or :P in thread after thread after thread.... they quite openly stated they were trying to boost their post count. Some times they would post in every thread on the page. This meant that people who were trying to find a thread to respond to were presented with posts which consisted of smileys or one or two words or other pointless spam. This was not fair on the rest of the membership.... but in the circumstances the admin's and mods had no alternative to but to remove them. If you want to be angry or annoyed at someone I think the small group who engaged in this activity is where you should be directing your annoyance... not at the admin's and mods.

We have explained it before..... personally I could never see why it was so important to have a high post count... and I have no idea what mine was before it was removed. We do appreciate that some of you liked it and were not engaging in the above... but unless we can come up with a foolproof way of stopping the sort of thing I described above... it is unlikely to be reinstated.

Thanks for the explanation, Frankie. I might post more outside of the games/appreciation sections more often now. It's just a shame that only a few people were the cause of this. I hope to see them back in the future, even if it is doubtful.

Aww...I thought I was the only one who found them. :P No need to rush with getting rid of them, have a nice cookie instead. They're very healthy. :wink:

22189018.jpg

Seems like if it was only a few members, they should have been the ones punished for it, and not the rest of us... Warnings, suspensions, bannings, etc... enforcing general rules on spam rather than eliminating an easy way of being able to tell how long a member has been with us and therefore how much slack to cut them if they're not following the rules... etc...

I accept that they weren't really back this time, so I won't make a fuss over them being taken away when they were never really given back... but I still don't like that they were taken away in the first place. Still, the issue has been "resolved" so... yeah. Moving on...

Well actually they were punished for it... but we don't go in for public hangings on BttB... yet : :ph34r: ... puts it on agenda for next mod convo :lol:

Seriously... this isn't "resolved" if people keep going on about it. There are ways you can check your post count.... it just takes a bit of effort....we are not making it public in every post for the reason we have stated above. You can tell how long a member has been with us by their registration number and the date of joining. The number of posts is not indication... some members who have been with us for several years have less then 100 posts and still post once a week... some who have been with us for a few weeks have over a 1000.. .... one person I think posted over 100 posts on his first day! :o ( I am sure we can all guess who that was!) :P In terms of not liking things... well.. mmmmm.... there are a lot of things in life we have to deal with which if we had a magic wand we would not have to...oh I how I wish I had one to take to work with me :P... but at the end of the day the site owners decide what they do and do want on their site.. and as you say we move on...

Archived