Kate's a shining favourite

Guest Andy

Kate's a shining favourite

By Stephen Downie

Daily Telegraph, 2nd May 2007

Kate Ritchie came of age at last year's Logies. The long-time Home And Away star shed her image as plain old Sally and was rewarded for her 18 years of effort on the show by picking up a Silver Logie. The award came as something of a shock to her. Winning a Logie was never in her career plan.

"I've never been the hot new thing," she says. "Growing up on the show, it always seemed as though the people who got recognised and who won Logies were the ones who were flavour of the month. That was never me. I just came to work and did my job and went to school and enjoyed it [the show] for the work." Although she was a Logies veteran, having attended the event since she was 12-years-old, Ritchie admits she was a nervous wreck at last year's awards. But this year is different.

"I'm looking forward to being able to sit back and relax and enjoy it a bit more."

Really? A Silver Logie is one thing, this time she is going for the pinnacle, a Gold Logie. It's considered the award which says viewers think you are at the top of the TV tree. And the word is Ritchie is a hot favourite to win.

"I've had lots of people telling me I'm in with a chance," the 28-year-old says.

"I try not think about it. I don't want to pin my hopes on anything and make the whole event about actually winning."

While Ritchie is young, she has more in common, in terms of time on TV, with fellow nominee Bert Newton than with newcomer Natalie Blair or Rachael Carpani.

"I'm kind of hard to pigeonhole," Ritchie admits. "I'd like to think I'm still young and fresh and, on the other hand I feel like I've been around for an eternity.

"Nineteen years is a long time, no matter what your profession."

Ritchie admits playing Sally hasn't always been easy. As a teenager, Ritchie's character was the "daggy girl in Summer Bay". She didn't have cool clothes and was never partnered with the hot guy.

"At times, that was quite hard to deal with, as a teenager myself," Ritchie says.

"There was a time when I perhaps wished I was playing another character."

But Ritchie says she has come to really appreciate her role. Although there was talk of her quitting at the end of last year, Ritchie says she is happy where she is.

"Over the years there have been times when I thought I should leave the show," she says.

"It's only in the last few years that I have come to the place that I am proud of what I've achieved."

Archived