Five Wins Neighbours!

Guest simmins

H&A at 6.30 won't happen. One word: Hollyoaks.

I still maintain that H&A at 5.30 with Neighbours at 6 would be the best option, this would mean that H&A would have no real competition eg The Simpsons.

Yes it would, i'm pretty sure 'the Paul O'Grady show is on at 5:30 and that is pretty popular, more-so (in ratings) than the Simpsons........probably !

Also never mind the competition and ratings, i'd rather have a full, uneditited show, than a popular one.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H&A at 6.30 won't happen. One word: Hollyoaks.

I still maintain that H&A at 5.30 with Neighbours at 6 would be the best option, this would mean that H&A would have no real competition eg The Simpsons.

Yes it would, i'm pretty sure 'the Paul O'Grady show is on at 5:30 and that is pretty popular, more-so (in ratings) than the Simpsons........probably !

Also never mind the competition and ratings, i'd rather have a full, uneditited show, than a popular one.

Yeah I really don't see the sense in it either. Moving H&A to 5.30 would almost certainly mean more editing to the show. Neighbours has always been at 5.30, it would cause least disruption to viewers of the show to keep it at that time. It's the less "adult" of the two shows, so it should be on earlier, and it's also the more popular, so puting it on first makes sense as viewers will be encouraged, and may be inclined, to stick with the channel and watch H&A after viewing Neighbours. (With any sense, Five would run H&A promos during the credits of Neighbours). Furthermore, Home & Away does fine against The Simpsons, and like Andy says, it would still be against Paul O'Grady if they moved it anyway. Neighbours is already against Paul O'Grady and it rates fine, so why mess with a working formula?

News from Digital Spy:

BBC pulls out of 'Neighbours' negotiations?

BBC chiefs have pulled out of negotiations for Australian soap Neighbours, according to a report in The Mirror today.

The show will now leave BBC screens next year after distributor Fremantle refused to accept the corporation's offer of £70,000 per episode, instead demanding that executives match ITV's bid of £104,000.

It is now believed that the bidding war for the soap will continue between ITV and Five. ITV are keen to secure a daytime hit after struggling since Paul O'Grady defected to Channel 4 in 2006, while Five are hoping to create an Aussie soap hour by running Neighbours and Home and Away back-to-back.

A BBC insider told the newspaper: "We made a very generous offer and we were very disappointed when they went off in search of more cash. It shows how greedy they are. There is no hope of us keeping the programme in the face of such fierce competition from the commercial channels.

"We can't pay over the odds for it because it is licence fee money - but what we did offer was very reasonable given the current market rates. It is very sad."

And the original article from The Mirror:

NEIGHBOURS TO MOVE?

EXCLUSIVE: ITV's £104 million deal to snatch supersoap

BOSSES at ITV are poised to snatch Neighbours in a £104million deal after the BBC dropped out of a bidding war for the soap.

Beeb chiefs threw in the towel yesterday because distributor Freemantle raised the price from £25,000 to £100,000 per episode - snubbing their offer of £70,000.

The Aussie series, which made stars of Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan, will now end its 23-year run on BBC1 in 2008.

Advertisement

Click here to find out more!

And the corporation will have lost the second-highest rated show in its daytime schedule after the lunchtime news.

A Beeb insider said: "We made a very generous offer and we were very disappointed when they went off in search of more cash. It shows how greedy they are.

"There is no hope of us keeping the programme in the face of such fierce competition from the commercial channels.

"We can't pay over the odds for it because it is licence fee money - but what we did offer was very reasonable given the current market rates. It is very sad."

An ongoing battle between ITV and Five may push the price even higher.

Michael Grade, ITV's new chairman, is willing to pay £104million over four years, while Five bosses want to get their hands on the soap so they can create an "Aussie hour" by running Neighbours and Home and Away back-to-back.

ITV has had a disastrous record with daytime dramas in recent years. It lost the contract to screen Home and Away to Five, while homegrown efforts Night and Day and Crossroads both flopped.

Up to five million viewers a day tune in to Neighbours - half at lunchtime and the other half for the teatime repeat.

Set in fictional Erinsborough, the soap still features 80s favourites Harold Bishop, Lou Carpenter and Paul Robinson.

A spokesman for Freemantle declined to comment last night.

Seems like a pretty final verdict, but then again it is from one of the tabloids.....I'll wait until it's in one of the Media papers before I full believe it

• 2 weeks later...

You continue to seem to pester these people phoning up about things, some of which have proved to be correct, others which have proved to been completely wrong..

The problem however, is that because of that and the fact that your posts rarely make a modicum of sense, we don't know whether to trust you or not. Why would the papers or the BBC themselves not be reporting this, but some barely comprehensible random that has phoned up would?

Archived