Five Wins Neighbours!

Guest simmins

Ok here's a mind boggler for you.

Australian produced soap Home and Away is shown on Five which owns Freemantle which makes Neighbours which in Aus is Home and Away's rival.

So if Five bought Neighbours in the UK, they would in effect be funding the competition to one of their own flagship shows in Australia.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Neighbours did go to Five in a 5.30pm timeslot they could advertize H&A at the end and H&A's ratings might improve then. Although I doubt Neighbours would sustain its ratings if it went over to Five. How many years has Five been on air now and we still cant receive it in Ireland. That said though, I dont think Neighbours ever took off here, I dont know anybody that watches it. It's always been H&A that's been the most popular.

If FIVE does get it I hope they move H&A to the 6:30 slot instead of putting Neighbours there. H&A's a more mature and adult show than Neighbours, so it makes sense.

I doubt either will be in the 5:30 slot because thats news time! How many times can they repeat that dreadful 'Two and a half men' in the 6:30 slot, i've seen every series about 4 times!

I agree with home and away being the more adult aimed of the 2. I doubt however they will show neighbours half 6 because they know how highly they advertise and rely on "first look" over on life at that time. I imagine If anything the news will be shifted to 5 neighbours 5.30 then H&a as it has been for 6 years.Or 5 neighbours then a break for the news then h&a as usual.

I think BBC's contract with Fremantle Media (the producers of Neighbours) runs out next year and there're been a bidding war between ITV and Five for the rights as it seems likely that BBC is refusing to meet the price tag.

Then if Neighbours does move to Five, there will be huge stuff coming out as they've got two Australian soaps - how to sort out the times to show both and that's what the forum regulars been talking about.

Hopefully this helps (I'm awful at explaining things lol! BTW, your avatar is brilliant!)

Archived