Kissing Viewers Goodbye

Guest Perry

It might help if everyone re-read the artcicle. It is the same Dan Bennett and he is NOT with neighbours...he is with Channel 10 as a drama executive. It is his job to make Grundy's bring Neighbours up to scratch...otherwise the 10 network will cancel it.

What other Australian Drama does Channel 10 produce, besides Neighbours? Apart from a tele-movie 3 or four times a year. I've said time and time again, I really don't think they can afford to cancel Neighbours no matter how poor the ratings might be. They need to meet the Australian-made quota, and I'd imagine that it's easier to keep an existing program than to create up to 3 new ones that would have to fill the same amount of air time that Neighbours does. That's if they decide to keep drama at all. They could always run whatever reality programe they've got on at 7 - The Biggest Loser or Big Brother - for an hour every night instead. Might get more ratings, but it would put a pretty big nail in the coffin for Australian actors and writers.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might help if everyone re-read the artcicle. It is the same Dan Bennett and he is NOT with neighbours...he is with Channel 10 as a drama executive. It is his job to make Grundy's bring Neighbours up to scratch...otherwise the 10 network will cancel it.

What other Australian Drama does Channel 10 produce, besides Neighbours? Apart from a tele-movie 3 or four times a year. I've said time and time again, I really don't think they can afford to cancel Neighbours no matter how poor the ratings might be. They need to meet the Australian-made quota, and I'd imagine that it's easier to keep an existing program than to create up to 3 new ones that would have to fill the same amount of air time that Neighbours does. That's if they decide to keep drama at all. They could always run whatever reality programe they've got on at 7 - The Biggest Loser or Big Brother - for an hour every night instead. Might get more ratings, but it would put a pretty big nail in the coffin for Australian actors and writers.

I understand what you are saying Jem, but when a program isn't rating well wouldn't it be better to cancel it and produce something new. I think time will be better spent thinking up unique drama's. You say Channel Ten can't afford to axe Neighbours, well they can... They just choose not to. I think Dan Bennet should focus less on Revamping Neighbours and start focussing on a new fresh, unique and clever TV series they can replace it with.

Well with the problems Australian Drama has faced since McLeod's Daughters, starting a new Aussie series is beginning to sound like suicide.

You're right, they can easily axe Neighbours and replace it with another Aussie show, but they choose not too. They have faith in the show (I don't know why since the state it's been in since late 2005). Shows normally go through these rough patches. Neighbours seem to have a long one :lol:

Maybe they could pick up Headland :rolleyes:

I did say I wanted to see a 'new fresh, unique and clever TV series'.

EDIT: And if TEN are ever going to revive a TV Series axed by another Network it would be 'Pacific Drive.'

We bag out Dan Bennett but we forget that the ratings for H&A were high for the last 2 years!

If the guy can save Neighbours from the axe then I say woohoo! I love watching Neighbours as much as I do H&A. So it's having a bad time with the ratings...

don't all soaps go through a slump?! <_<

Archived