Kissing Viewers Goodbye

Guest Perry

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stealingJackandMarthassongforKarlandSusan

I KNEW someone would say that! :D

It occured to me last night that Neighbours has been a lot like the final series of the OC - which I loved. Doing whatever they want, no matter how random or obscure it might be, as if they know they won't get a chance to do it later... I think it makes for great television, personally, but I guess I can see how other people would find it messy and uninteresting... Oh well. I still like it.

Having said that, they do seem to be axing all the characters that make me love it.

Dylan, Bree, Janelle, Stingray, Ned - YES I like Ned because he's a bloody fun character and anyone who says he's too boring is missing the bloody point! He's SUPPOSED to be boring! THAT'S THE DAMN JOKE! >.<... *deep breath...*

If this is the way to the "new and improved" Neighbours, I think I shall be very scared. If they get rid of Paul, I don't think I'll have anything left. Apart from Karl and Susan, but what are they going to do with no one decent to interact with? Getting drunk with backpackers is great for a holiday, but you can't build an entire series on it... or can you...?

It might help if everyone re-read the artcicle. It is the same Dan Bennett and he is NOT with neighbours...he is with Channel 10 as a drama executive. It is his job to make Grundy's bring Neighbours up to scratch...otherwise the 10 network will cancel it.

What other Australian Drama does Channel 10 produce, besides Neighbours? Apart from a tele-movie 3 or four times a year. I've said time and time again, I really don't think they can afford to cancel Neighbours no matter how poor the ratings might be. They need to meet the Australian-made quota, and I'd imagine that it's easier to keep an existing program than to create up to 3 new ones that would have to fill the same amount of air time that Neighbours does. That's if they decide to keep drama at all. They could always run whatever reality programe they've got on at 7 - The Biggest Loser or Big Brother - for an hour every night instead. Might get more ratings, but it would put a pretty big nail in the coffin for Australian actors and writers.

It might help if everyone re-read the artcicle. It is the same Dan Bennett and he is NOT with neighbours...he is with Channel 10 as a drama executive. It is his job to make Grundy's bring Neighbours up to scratch...otherwise the 10 network will cancel it.

What other Australian Drama does Channel 10 produce, besides Neighbours? Apart from a tele-movie 3 or four times a year. I've said time and time again, I really don't think they can afford to cancel Neighbours no matter how poor the ratings might be. They need to meet the Australian-made quota, and I'd imagine that it's easier to keep an existing program than to create up to 3 new ones that would have to fill the same amount of air time that Neighbours does. That's if they decide to keep drama at all. They could always run whatever reality programe they've got on at 7 - The Biggest Loser or Big Brother - for an hour every night instead. Might get more ratings, but it would put a pretty big nail in the coffin for Australian actors and writers.

Channel TEN does NOT produce Neighbours - it simply buys it to show like it does other shows. Lat year it showed Tripping Over, a very good quality local drama series - The Surgeon, several mini-series and at least one telemovie. Production companies make drama shows with the exception of Channel 7 who produce "In house." There have been concerns for Neighbours for at least five years that I'm aware of - but the show will continue while it has a strong British pre-sale.

There are several possible replacements in development as well as three other new drama series. Dan's job is to be across ALL of those to protect the interests of programming and the network - NOT neighbours.

Cheers

Coral

Channel TEN does NOT produce Neighbours - it simply buys it to show like it does other shows. Lat year it showed Tripping Over, a very good quality local drama series - The Surgeon, several mini-series and at least one telemovie. Production companies make drama shows with the exception of Channel 7 who produce "In house." There have been concerns for Neighbours for at least five years that I'm aware of - but the show will continue while it has a strong British pre-sale.

There are several possible replacements in development as well as three other new drama series. Dan's job is to be across ALL of those to protect the interests of programming and the network - NOT neighbours.

Cheers

Coral

So there are possible replacements in development? I don't meen to say I told you So Drew but :P... OK my apologies for the immaturity. Thanks Coral for pointing out Dan Bennett's job with Channel Ten and it was also good to know that Channel Ten does not produce Neighbours. I always thought they had after Channel Seven axed it. So there are a few new shows to look forward to. Hopefully something new and exciting or if not maybe Pacific Drive meets Chances now that would be good viewing.

Cheers

Coral

So there are possible replacements in development? I don't meen to say I told you So Drew but :P... OK my apologies for the immaturity. Thanks Coral for pointing out Dan Bennett's job with Channel Ten and it was also good to know that Channel Ten does not produce Neighbours. I always thought they had after Channel Seven axed it. So there are a few new shows to look forward to. Hopefully something new and exciting or if not maybe Pacific Drive meets Chances now that would be good viewing.

hehehehehe....If Pacific Drive had been done the way I created it...it would STILL be running.

Channel 7 did not produce Neighbours either....it has always been a Grundy's/Pearsons show. But it was after 7 axed neighbours from its schedule that it decided to start producing its own shows in house... and that has been their policy for most of their drama programming ever since.

We have at least three new drama series - possibly four - starting late this year, early next year - but none of them is a soap...so Homers is quite safe - but Neighbours might not be! All shows have a use by date - I suspect that Neighbours would probably need a total change of direction to save it beyond 2008 - not simply bringing in a new family but telling the same old stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Bennett is the new Ten Network's drama executive. His main task is to fix Neighbours and its falling ratings, but the show will not be axed.

The last few months Home and Away is going downhill in ratings to but don't as much as Neighbours and Home and Away is still Number 1 in the 7pm timeslot.

Archived