Harry Potter - love or hate it?

Guest freakybuffy

When I was in year five, so only about 9 or 10 years old, we started listening to the first Harry Potter book. I remember hating it with a passion - until my mum got the book so as I could follow along at home too, understanding it more. That actually really worked well & from then on, I got into the books.

I am obsessed with Harry Potter! I have read all of the books, some of them more than once, I love the films (although the books can be better than the films in many cases, seeing as a lot of the book that you read is missed out in the film), I read Harry Potter fanfiction & we have a couple of Harry Potter 'Scene It' games, which no one will play with me 'cause I always get the answers right & win.

I'm seeing the film next week but when the second half is released, by the end of it, although it may sound silly, I will feel as though that's the end of my childhood to an extent. Daniel, Emma & Rupert were young when they began filming the movies & I was only young when they came out. Now I'm 17, it's like I've grown up with it throughout my childhood.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing the film next week but when the second half is released, by the end of it, although it may sound silly, I will feel as though that's the end of my childhood to an extent. Daniel, Emma & Rupert were young when they began filming the movies & I was only young when they came out. Now I'm 17, it's like I've grown up with it throughout my childhood.

I totally agree, I have seen the film today and I agree, when the last film is out and I have seen it, I will no longer be a teenager that grew up with Harry Potter.

I will analyse the film later on.. need time to take it in.

I think anyone from our generation would feel like that, I was 9 or 10 when I started reading the books, and the seventh one came out when I was 17, every year its either a big wait for the newest book or the newest movie... After next year there'll just be a big hole that'll make us all go :( I hope she writes something new down the track, she has a whole world she could write about she has to! Haha

& after tonights performace (I saw it tonight at the cinema) I love it even more! The best film ever!

I think I prefer them as they go on because they're more darker & scarier & more adult-like, especially with everyone else growing up.

With the first three films really, you knew about Voldemort rather than meet him properly.

Ever since coming back to rule in the end of the Goblet of Fire, they've been much darker films. & I love it.

The characters, the acting, the effects. It's just fantastic!

I saw Deathly Hallows for the second time last night, and it was definitely even better the second time around (if that's possible, because it was all kinds of epic the first time).

Favourites:

- RONRONRONRONRONRONRON. Just, everything about Ron in this one. I felt like they had just gone 'screw what we've done to Ron in all the previous films, we are going to make him awesome and funny and sensitive and courageous and exactly how he is in the books. One of my favourite scenes were when he left, and he comes across all paranoid and angry about his family and then he storms out. Guh, my heart! And then when he kills the horcrux and comes back all tough and talking about the ball of light and antlers and I can't deal with his level of awesome. Rupert Grint was underused since Sorcerer's Stone and I'm so happy he is having all these moments in Deathly Hallows. Also, convincing Harry to stay for the wedding, and basically calling him out on the fact that they didn't sacrifice anything for him. It's so much bigger than just Harry.

- Already mentioned but, destroying the locket. I adored how they made it all smokey and the Horcrux!Hermione and Horcrux!Harry making out was quite racy. I enjoyed that part immensily, especially since I forgot it was going to happen.

- The Three Brothers. The use of the animation and it was all shadowy and spooky but looked kind of 3D-ish. It was beautiful. I giggled immaturely when Ron was all "Twilight's fine." Also at 10 inches (but that's just me).

- 7 Potters. DanRad is epic at getting all the little charcterisations. My favourite was the Hermione!Harry and how she finished changing first and was then just standing there with her arms crossed and silently judging everyone else. I adored the whole sequence. The first time I saw it I was disappointed with how they changed Hedwigs death and Harry never used Expelliarmus, but seeing it the second time, I appreciated how Hedwig died saving Harry and it was more dramatic than if she was just in her cage. But the lack of Expelliarmus is a concern.

Not-So-Favourites:

- Lack of Dursley interactions. I wanted the line of Dudley saying that he didn't think Harry was a waste of space. Just, that one moment would have made the goodbye even better. But I guess they haven't developed the characters of the Dursely's enough to warrant it. There is no indication at all that Petunia even knew Dumbledore, so I guess that why they cut it. I'm hoping it's on the Deleted Scenes part of the DVD.

- Harry/Ginny is not winning me over. I don't know why they are playing down this relationship, when Ginny should be distraught at Harry leaving. But George totally made that scene. he had a freakin' toothbrush in his ear!

- Dobby. Only because I adored him so much and he was all wonderful with Kreacher and Bellatrix and HP is my BFF the whole time, and I knew what was coming. The tears happened.

Tears also happened when Hermione obliviated her parents' memory. I didn't expect me to affect me, because it was only slightly referenced in the book, and then habing that whole scene with disappearing pictures and mentioning Australia, it was just really sad.

There are so many things I liked and I can't remember them all. I'm so happy they split it, because they could take the time to look at the relationship between the Trio so that when Ron left it was emotional and had impact. I can't wait for part 2. I think this movie is the best book to film adaptation of the series.

• 7 months later...

My HP obsession has sort of amplified recently -- helped in part by the fact that the final instalment comes out in less that two weeks!! I can't contain my excitement. I'm trying to make plans to go to the midnight release, because I've never done it, and this will be my last chance.

That Pottermore announcement was exciting, although I'm sort of confused as to what will actually be gained by joining. I guess I will inevitably sign up anyway, because I'm a sheep like that.

My HP obsession has sort of amplified recently -- helped in part by the fact that the final instalment comes out in less that two weeks!! I can't contain my excitement. I'm trying to make plans to go to the midnight release, because I've never done it, and this will be my last chance.

That Pottermore announcement was exciting, although I'm sort of confused as to what will actually be gained by joining. I guess I will inevitably sign up anyway, because I'm a sheep like that.

I hope you enjoy the film when you see it. I'm not sure whether to see it or not. I'm inbetween with it.

Archived