Your country's best attribute

Guest Tamxxx

These D4's sound like younger, stupider, Irish versions of Jade Goody! :P I thought the chavs and spoilt people here were bad....:P

They're not exactly like Jade Goody - they are seen as the ultimate upper class in Ireland. Their Daddies pay huge amounts of money for them to go private posh schools.

Damn stupid dial up! It will take me forever to see that video. Did I miss anything worthwhile or have I seen it all before?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Cal, that story about the D4 girls just cracked me up - so funny & (unfortunately) so typical of them !!!

And, to keep to the topic:

Good things:

* GAA - especially Hurling "UP THE REBELS"

* Cork winning the All Ireland - again!

* Croke Park

(yeah, there's a bit of a theme here !!!)

Bad things:

* The cost of everything (I forget who mentioned the cost of vodkas when they visited before the euro came in. All I can say is the cost of it since the euro will probably kill ya!)

* Roadworks - Cork is demented with them at the moment

* Drunken yobs - dodging puke on the way to work every Monday morning is NOT funny :angry:

Best things about England -

1. The mixture of landscapes and environments - the Lake District, the 'gay village' in Manchester, Stonehenge, beautiful beaches both north and south, traditional 'posh' shopping streets, moors, vastly urban areas... did I miss anything?

2. The diversity of people (when it works) - where I work there's an Italian Catholic, a Turkish Muslim, a Greek Orthodox Cypriot, a Jamaican atheist... Plus two mixed-background bisexuals of no particular faith. At a regular human level, nobody gives a cr*p what anyone else's background or lifestyle is, and we all love the bones of each other!

3. The Arts. Be it poetry from the Middle Ages, contemporary theatre, the Royal Ballet or the V Fesitival, the home-grown tradition continues and I love it.

4. The tolerance of gay lifestyles. I simply couldn't live in a lot of countries because I know I'd be persecuted and discriminated against. Here, everything's cool.

The worst things -

1. Racism and mistrust between the different cultures and ethnic groups, on a non-personal scale.

2. The way people listen to the media too much. I feel like they let themselves be manipulated by being told what public opinion is. The papers say everyone now hates Gordon Brown? They hate Gordon Brown. Yawn. I actually think it's dangerous, and is a prominent factor in the above.

3. Laurie Foell doesn't live here.

:P I love my country, but lament the fact nobody's signing Laurie up for our soaps.

Good things:

* GAA - especially Hurling "UP THE REBELS"

* Cork winning the All Ireland - again!

* Croke Park

(yeah, there's a bit of a theme here !!!)

Pity about the football today. I was there to see Laois (I'm not from there, check out my reason in my sig) but stayed for the second match. Dissapointing. I'm hoping Mayo will win because Kerry have won too many and if the Dubs win, we'd never hear the end of it.

Off topic, seeing as we Paddies have kind of taken over this thread, is it worth setting up an Irish thread to discuss all things Irish? Just a suggestion, let me know what you think

Off topic, seeing as we Paddies have kind of taken over this thread, is it worth setting up an Irish thread to discuss all things Irish? Just a suggestion, let me know what you think

I'd like that idea. I'm just worried about what everybody else would think though. We already got rid of the other chat threads, so it might be closed.

Speaking of Ireland being expensive, I went there for a weekend before the Euro was introduced, and it cost me £17.50 for four vodka's and lemonade! I nearly hit the roof.

Yes... VERY expensive! :o

I bought a selection pack of bars, it cost €5.50, We opened the bag and out fell 8 mini bars (very, very small bars). I almost died!

A pint of Guiness in Central Dublin cost €5. Then in the boglands(The countryside), it costs €2.50... :blink:

When I was in Dublin for a few days last year I paid 5 Euro for a Bicardi Breezer! It was in a hotel though, but even so!

N.Ireland:

Best: The community feeling, landscape.

Worst: Sectarianism. <_<

Archived