Hollyoaks Discussion Thread

Guest Emma_B

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Hollyoaks has been really good as of late. The week when Silas framed Brendan for Rae's murder was simply brilliant and I loved it when Lynsey and Silas were in the woods, he turned his back on her and she knocked him unconscious believing she had killed him, confessed to the police only to find that he'd left to go abroad unharmed.

The wedding scenes were excellent. Mercedes has proven time and time again she is an extremely selfish person (sleeping with two of her sister's fiancees) and what she did with Carl was no different but I did respect her for fessing up to everything before she actually married Riley and was pleased Jacqui was there to support her. I think she definitely did the right thing. I do however feel Carl has been even more selfish than Mercedes especially considering he was prepared to pay £50000 to hide his secret and made Seth keep quiet about it for months just to save his own skin. It's such a mess now with Mercedes being pregnant especially as they don't know who the father is. If it's Riley's then he has a decision whether or not he wants to forgive Mercedes and decide to make a go of things as a family. If it's Carl's then that's effectively the end for the Costello family. Heidi will resent the baby and will want to divorce Carl for sure. Riley won't want to have anything to do with baby either and feel bitter because he feels that should his child not his half brother. Couldn't understand why Silas hadn't killed Mercedes after she'd been kidnapped and tied up. Yes it's obvious to think of his Grandson/Great grandson but is he seriously going to keep her there all that time then deliver the baby by himself? Just sounds completely ridiculous.

Onto Halloween week. Again really good writing with Lynsey and Silas and as previously really enjoyed the mind games. She's actually managed to get Doug to believe her side of the story so that's something. Loved the way they left us guessing who Silas's next victim would be.

Oaks is on fire at the moment! I watched Monday's ep therefore I know who he killed :)

I love the whole Silas/Lynsey scenes. I've wanted Lynsey to have ab ig storyline since she arrived I loved her on oaks later and I love her throughout this storyline.

The new students are also really good. I think they remind me a lot like the old students like Kris, Jess, Zoe, Zak etc. Ash reminds me of Zoe, The other girl (don't know all their names) reminds me of Jess, her boyfriend is kinda like Kris in the whole Kris and Jess storyline and the other guy remidns meof Zak

OMG Heidi. :o I wasn't expecting that. I think the producers did very well to throw us of the scent by showing scenes with some of the other characters such as Lynsey, Texas and Theresa. Overall another really good week. I thought it was fitting that Lynsey was instrumental in Silas's downfall and she was the one person who he thought was on an even playing field and wanted conclude his game with. One of the things I've enjoyed about this storyline is that the producers have been bold and haven't been afraid to kill off main characters. The main regrets I have about it being Heidi is I would have liked to see how she coped with Mercedes's baby and we'll never get to see he reaction to her father being a serial killer. I don't blame Lynsey for being annoyed with Cheryl, Texas and Nancy. Although what she was saying to them at the time appeared far-fetched, had they listened to her, Rae and Heidi might still be alive.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I regularly have conversations with one of my colleagues at work about this as we both watch it. We often mention how ridiculously over the top the storylines are and the attractiveness of some of the female characters. I always watch the omnibus on Sundays. I would say that I do really enjoy some of the storylines but it often depends on who's in the actual episodes. There appears to be a pattern where one week some main characters are in and another week other characters are present. This also differs to Home and Away in that you really have to accept that most of the main characters do something unpleasant at one time or another (even the likeable ones) otherwise it's pointless trying to enjoy it. People seem to frequently get away with committing very serious crimes and there doesn't appear to be any immediate repercussions - Not until very later on anyway. And they combine this with trying to explore very real issues in the show.

I guess examples of this are Theresa being a multiple murderer, Will killing, Texas, Trevor killing that policeman and Sienna kidnapping and holding Tom hostage for weeks. On the flipside you have the storyline with Blessing, the abuse storyline with Patrick and Maxine and Cindy's mental illness.

My favourite characters at the moment are Sienna, Tony, Sinead and Trevor.

Sienna - She's my absolute favourite. Putting aside how hot she is, I just love how deranged and absolutely crazy she is. She's sly, manipulate, sneaky and she should never should have never made bail (although you have Fraser to thank for that for blackmailing the judge so Patrick could get Maxine to change her statement in court about Jason falsely attacking her). She one hundred percent should have gone to jail for what she put Tom through but I'm glad she didn't because I'm so fascinated by the character. It's obvious that Patrick is directly responsible for how she turned out for the way he treated her when she was growing up. And stealing her baby, pretending it was dead and giving it away (That part mirrors the storyline with Lauren from Neighbours). Not that all of that justifies the way she tried to ruin Nancy's life. I was really excited when Nico turned up and was really annoyed with Patrick when he bullied and threatened her into leaving. That pretty much echoed how he treats women in general. But I'm glad Nico came back. I think the whole thing highlights how losing Nico the first time round has affected Sienna and it shows how determined she was to find her. So much so that she prostituted herself with Rick so she could use that to gain an upper hand re Nancy and Darren to stop herself going to jail. I did actually like the friendship with Leela, both of them bonding over not being able to raise their baby girls once they got past of the stuff of the underhand way Sienna wormed her way into their household in the first place and exposed Danny's affair with John Paul just so she could break up his marriage which would allow her to get closer to Perri because she thought Perri was her daughter. I am actually looking forward to seeing more of Sienna and Nico and how their relationship develops. Although with both of them living with Patrick now you'd think things would be a lot worse for Nico particularly because she's effectively a substitute/replacement for Maxine now to bear the brunt of Patrick's bullying. It will be interesting to see whether he makes Nico go back to school.

Tony - I've always liked Tony. I think he's a good guy. I know he's made mistakes, some big ones e.g. sleeping with Mercedes when he was engaged to Jackie and this affair with Sinead. But we have seen numerous occasions where he has gone out of his way to help people. How he supported Ste when Ste's mum was terminally ill and how he supported Blessing battling with her gender issues. What he is doing to Diane is not right especially given he has children with her but I've always questioned whether he was actually in love with her. They only slept together as one night stand and then he got her pregnant when he was still in love with Jackie. And he only stayed because it was the right thing to do. I thought it was possible for him to fall in love with her somewhere down the line but I guess the fact they've had problems has only led to them drifting apart.

Sinead - I couldn't stand Sinead a while back. I hated the way she bullied Esther and she deserved to be expelled from College. I didn't really like her when she was with Freddie either sleeping with his brother just before they got married but my opinion towards her changed when I saw how she was when Katie got sick. She was completely in the wrong when she faked Katie her daughters illness but she didn't deserve to lose her like that. And I actually ended up having a great deal of sympathy for her. I even wanted her revenge plan to work. I was over the moon when she exposed Freddie sleeping with Lindsey and even wanted her to make Diane pay for not believing she didn't harm her daughter - Not that I had anything against Diane particularly but because I felt Sinead needed it. It's interesting that seducing Tony was part of her retribution and she was obviously going to let Diane find out but it appears as though she's fallen for him now. I think Tony was there when nobody else was. Granted Sunny Valentine was there as well but he made it clear he wasn't interested in her like that where Tony was more susceptible because of the problems he was having. Again you can argue what both of them are doing is disgusting but I can't help but root for them. Still it can't end well.

Trevor - Again thought Trevor was pretty disgusting at first with the whole people trafficking thing and going after Jackie but I warmed to him when he got involved with Tony. And he could have sold Tony out to Fraser but didn't because for some reason he felt sorry for him. I did quite like the hard guy vibe with the short hair cut and tattoos but I find it interesting now he's trying to go straight. And he's actually put that in jeopardy to trying to look out for John Paul when he was inside and owing someone a favour.

Whilst not my favourite, another character that deserves a mention is Mercedes. I hated her for quite a while because I thought she was an extremely selfish person. Sleeping with two of her sister's fiances/husbands with little regard for how it would effect them. But I'm so used to the character now, I've come to appreciate her more. At times the way she is written I actually find her quite funny. I did really like her and Dr Browning together and was a bit disappointed when it ended.

Although he is thoroughly reprehensible I do think Patrick is a very well written character. Although the abuse storyline with Maxine seemed to drag on it was quite believable. I was also impressed with the acting. One scene I really liked the week before last was when Maxine thought she had escaped, was at the airport about to go through customs, they found a knife in her bag and Patrick was standing right behind her and said "Hello Maxine".

Another good display of acting is with the storyline with Cindy, hallucinating believing she is seeing Reece and still in a relationship with him. Again very good and very convincing.

One thing that shocked me last week was the deaths of Danny and Sam. I really wasn't expecting that. It will be interesting to see how Ste, Leela, Tegan and Peri cope. That's one of the things about this show. The writers are not afraid to kill off characters to make a the storylines more dramatic.

• 1 month later...

I have a real problem with this rape storyline. Whilst Finn undoubtedly deserved to be sent down I was pretty disgusted with the McQueen's attitude towards Diane for daring to protect her son. I was particularity annoyed with Myra when at the same time they've covered up numerous crimes, framing Dr Browning for murdering her, Mercedes covering up her role in Browning's death and more recently Sunni's disappearance. I did actually feel quite sorry for John Paul. He went out of his way to help Finn and Finn repaid him by systematically bullying him, making his life hell, raping him and putting him through the ordeal of a trial. Sadly the same cannot be said for Nancy. I find her so unlikeable that, I didn't have one iota of sympathy even after the attempted rape and when it came out in court that she slept with Rick. I was actually hoping that Finn would have been acquitted just so she could suffer a little while longer. Still Sienna slept with Darren and told her so that's something at least. I actually felt sorry for Diane most of all. She did the wrong thing but it was for the right reasons and at least she fessed up in the end, unlike the McQueens. It will be interesting to see what happens with Tony and Sinead now as they both clearly still love each other and I don't think Sinead can resist Tony for much longer.

I did actually think Patrick was Nico's dad at first. It's certainly plausible and Sienna's only got Patrick's word to go on that. A simple DNA test would prove it but Sienna is so obsessed with Mark she won't believe anything else ATM. TBH, the whole thing kind of turns my stomach thinking about it.

Archived