Josie just upped and left!!

Guest Henry

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst piece of drivel I've ever seen that barely passes for good TV at all. Anyone could have written that.

The whole reason Josie moved to the bay and gave up *everything* in her life was to be with Tasha. She forgave Tasha for ruining her wedding and then for treating her like dirt when she was working against Macklin. But now suddenly we don't even get to see her saying goodbye to her?

It's obvious to me and I'm sure many others can see it too, that Josie's character was in the middle of some pretty good stuff and there were loads of different ways her character could have gone from here. Seems weird they wrote her out in the middle of all this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. I remember Dan Bennetts response to a question about why Josie was written out, and he said something like Josie had become an outcast, or had isolated herself too much from the other characters, so there were no further storylines for her. Having seen her last few episodes now I completely disagree. If anything, she was just starting to become a more integrated part of the community than ever. She could very easily have been kept on, because the character worked well with Scott, and her involvement in the Hayley-Kim-Scott thing might have spiced it up a little (if she'd gotten with Scott, the fallout from the eventual revelation would have had even more impact on more people). It also would have been great to follow up a bit more on the whole 1989 thing. Did that guy Jim really suddenly decide to kill himself after all those years, following Morags visit? Did Morag really just decide to give up pursuing the whole thing just like that? I dont think thats very believable at all. With a bit of thought it wouldnt be hard to think of a few different ways in which Josie could have developed and its a shame she wasnt kept on. I havent seen Amanda yet but it seems like Dan just wanted his own character to fill the shoes of that particular role. Others have stated that Amanda and Josie are nothing alike and they both could have survived on the show in tandem, but perhaps Dan didnt feel they could at the time he was developing Amanda? Who knows?

Well, I certainly see scope for Josie to return, there are a lot of things she can still bring to the show. Wouldnt she be rushing back to the Bay if she knew about Tasha getting involved in this cult? Wouldnt Robbie think to call Josie and ask her for help on this? We obviously dont know what the script writers have planned but we can only hope, I guess, that we havent seen the last of Laurie on the show. Although whether she would still be willing to return to it or not is another question. Fingers crossed!

Exactly. I remember Dan Bennetts response to a question about why Josie was written out, and he said something like Josie had become an outcast, or had isolated herself too much from the other characters, so there were no further storylines for her. Having seen her last few episodes now I completely disagree. If anything, she was just starting to become a more integrated part of the community than ever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Completely agree. True, when she was with Jesse she only really interacted with him, Tasha and Mark most of the time. But guess what? Josie didn't isolate herself... the writers isolated her. And they could've un-isolated her - ie reintegrated the character - just as easily.

I havent seen Amanda yet but it seems like Dan just wanted his own character to fill the shoes of that particular role. Others have stated that Amanda and Josie are nothing alike and they both could have survived on the show in tandem, but perhaps Dan didnt feel they could at the time he was developing Amanda? Who knows?

See, what would be proof of this, is if Amanda comes to town, gets involved with Scott and finds out about the paternity results... Oh wait. :P I think what most people have said is that although Amanda is great to watch, and is certainly capable of making the wrong choice a lot of the time - just like Josie - she has nothing of Josie's complexity. Maybe DB wanted a character that we could just look at and think 'oh, she's just bad through and through, and she likes hurting people'. A simplistic - but admittedly very fun to watch - straight-up villain.

The truth is, we would never see Josie like that. Even if they began to write her like that, we'd know from what we'd seen in the past that Josie isn't bad through and through - Josie was always written with empathy, ambiguity and complexity from the outset. And if there's one thing we know about Laurie Foell, it's that she's utterly gifted at communicating empathy, ambiguity and complexity. She'd ensured that the viewers got every nuance of motivation and the full richness of character that the writers had put into Josie.

I'm hoping we haven't seen the last of Laurie on the show too. It's that touch of class that Jess talks about. Amanda will no doubt make me laugh, but Josie made me laugh, think, cry and root for her every step of the way.

Archived