best HnA era?

Guest MR200SX

I liked the Sutherland/KK era best (no surprises there!), but I also *loved* the era with Shannon/Selina/Angel/Chloe etc. I was only little and thought they were soooo cool, lol. I can't remember what years that was exactly though.  :unsure: I'm guessing around '95?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those were my favourite eras too.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess of course everyone has different ideas about the main "eras" were.

I would define them as

The Early Years - 1988-1992 - black credits, the Fletcher Family, The Stewart Dynasty.

1993 - 1997 - the friendship "groups" era (ie. Shane/Damien/Angel/Sarah, followed by Curtis/Jack/Shannon/Selina). Otherwise known as the Ross era.

1998-1999 - I think the show kind of lost its way here. It was still a good show but there was nothing to it that felt like original H&A.

2000-2004 - The "hundreds of teenagers" era. Otherwise known as the "Sutherland" era.

2005-present - an equally exciting and worrying new era as the show moves with the times and sees some dramatic changes in both storyline and story-telling approaches. (Also known as the "lets f*ck the fans about by bringing back their favourite ever actress - Laurie - and then axing her again" era.)

2000-2001 will always be special era, even if according to Ste, 2001 was the crappest year on record, because it was the era I fell in love with the show with and I think the same probably goes for everybody, the era that started them watching the show will always hold a speicla place.

Since I only started watching the show properly 3 years ago. I can't really say. I used to watch the early years in the afternoon, and I enjoyed those episodes greatly. This year has been the best since I started watching. The Sutherland era was the worst part of H&A. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Kirsty and Kane, but the rest of that family gave me the sh#ts.

I always get confused when people talk about 2001 as I never know if the mean the actual 2001 episodes or the ones that aired in the UK in 2001, which were 2000 episodes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the actual 2001 episodes I hate, which aired here in 2002. I don't know exactly why I disliked it so much. It was probably a number of things.

It was the first season without Ailsa... and she didn't even get a leaving storyline.

Alf kissed another woman within about 2 months.

Don's grandson turned up with a lot of links to Don's past and with dyslexia and within a month it was all forgotten.

Loads of new characters like Charlotte, Jude and Noah who couldn't act very well (at that point).

Almost every friday ended with someone collapsing and/or being rushed to hospital.

Jude had bulimia for a week and then was fine.

The Sally/Luke thing that went nowhere.

The god-awful London episodes and Marilyn's less than memorable return (could have been great, but it flopped).

The Sutherland hogging 99.999% of screen time

There were some good points of course, like Vinnie and Leah's wedding (minus Alf's kiss) and Morag's first stint since 1993, and.... actually that's all I can think of. But generally I think the storylines were dire, the characters (especially the 20-somethings) were rubbish and hollow. The Nick/Kirsty/Jade/Seb/Duncan gang were too young for me to care about, the Dani/Will/Gypsy thing was too predictable and annoying, the show had terrible music that year... it just wasn't good H&A in my opinion :P It was also the first and only year where I didn't mind if I missed an episode, and would sometimes deliberately watch the other side instead.

Archived